Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Chick-Fil-A Fight

Debate News

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,789 rep

The point of that meme is to show those morons the company they hold. Of course half or more of them still probably secretly (or outwardly) wish there was still segregation.

Being in the SouthEast, I am sure you already see plenty of conservative backwards hypocrisy and prejudice in all forms.

Oh yeah, all the time. I know plenty of people who are still openly racist and very homophobic. On a bridge in the south part of town someone spray painted "Join the KKK today!" The prejudice and hypocrisy is everywhere down here. Not that it's all bad, things have definitely gotten better but it's going to be a battle trying to get people to change their point of view, especially the politicians.
  • crock6000 likes this

crock6000

crock6000
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Joined Aug 26, 2009
  • 821 rep

Oh yeah, all the time. I know plenty of people who are still openly racist and very homophobic. On a bridge in the south part of town someone spray painted "Join the KKK today!" The prejudice and hypocrisy is everywhere down here. Not that it's all bad, things have definitely gotten better but it's going to be a battle trying to get people to change their point of view, especially the politicians.

Don't worry about trying to change the politicians. Try and change a person. The politicians are already tainted.

Hopefully "the people" will one day be future politicians. Look, we have a black president who has openly supported gay rights. I would say that is most certainly a move forward but at the same time it has ignited the frightened small brains.

As an intelligent person, which you most certainly are, you will find yourself in awe of some of the stupidity that surrounds you and I have found in my years that there is definitely a correlation between a lack of intelligence and conservatism and prejudice. Certainly not all conservatives are racist but ALL racists are conservatives. Bill Maher says this all the time and he is dead on. Stay true to your beliefs and help change the world. Don't look down on people that don't have your brains, but rather try to educate them. Studies all over the place show a correlation to low IQ and prejudice. Keeping the status quo (or conservatism) is an act of fear, where progressing (or progressives/liberals) are generally more complex thinkers and have a desire to change things that are wrong. It's a never ending battle and the nation is certainly as divided as ever but sometimes a 14 year old posting from somewhere in Tennessee gives this dude some hope.
  • Eva likes this

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,285 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,789 rep

Don't worry about trying to change the politicians. Try and change a person. The politicians are already tainted.

Hopefully "the people" will one day be future politicians. Look, we have a black president who has openly supported gay rights. I would say that is most certainly a move forward but at the same time it has ignited the frightened small brains.

As an intelligent person, which you most certainly are, you will find yourself in awe of some of the stupidity that surrounds you and I have found in my years that there is definitely a correlation between a lack of intelligence and conservatism and prejudice. Certainly not all conservatives are racist but ALL racists are conservatives. Bill Maher says this all the time and he is dead on. Stay true to your beliefs and help change the world. Don't look down on people that don't have your brains, but rather try to educate them. Studies all over the place show a correlation to low IQ and prejudice. Keeping the status quo (or conservatism) is an act of fear, where progressing (or progressives/liberals) are generally more complex thinkers and have a desire to change things that are wrong. It's a never ending battle and the nation is certainly as divided as ever but sometimes a 14 year old posting from somewhere in Tennessee gives this dude some hope.

Changing the politicians is a losing battle I will never attempt. And yes, as a general rule, I have noticed the conservatives in this area are fairly...unintelligent. Most of them have southern accents, have never heard of a shower, and think that Obama is Satan re-incarnated as a black man (one time I overheard someone saying "Why is there a black man in the white house? The race of the president is in the name.") I do think things are definitely moving forward though. This past June for the first time ever, the city of Knoxville's mayor attended the gay pride parade and openly stated that homosexuals are a part of this city and need to be treated as such. While it'll take us a long time, the south is slowly moving forward, along with the rest of the world.
  • crock6000 likes this

oda

oda
  • bitch tits

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,053 posts
  • Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • 1,410 rep
I don't think there is any chick-fil-a outside the states though. And in my opinion those people are just making a fool out of themselves by supporting this. I'm glad this has caused such a huge reaction.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,089 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,720 rep
It's interesting that you all say freedom of speech is such a good thing. And to an extent I agree, it is great that we can talk about politics, religion, philosophy and sex without fear for our liberty. BUT as John Stuart Mill said (I think) in much more eloquent ways than I'm about to; that freedom of speech should only exist as long as it's not an incitement to violence against people or a place, incitement to break the law or the continued abuse or harassment of a certain sector of society.

For example, last summer at the London riots, some young men were arrested for going onto twitter and saying "Let's riot in Leeds" (Not quite like that). And I say good, I don't think that it is your right to have freedom to say things like that. Isn't this much the same?

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep
It's a chicken motherfucking sandwich. Do I tell you where to eat your chicken motherfucking sandwiches? No. I'm aware of what Chik-Fil-A does with their money, and I'm aware that I indirectly support those charities when I eat a chicken sandwich here. But here's the thing: who the fuck gives the generalized "you" the right to tell me where I can and can't eat a chicken sandwich. So many friends of mine are trying to shame me into never eating there again, and to them I say this: I don't tell you where to eat your fucking chicken sandwiches, so how about you don't tell me where to eat mine? BP nuked an entire ecosystem for a generation, and they continue to run those offensive little "it's ok because we have a person working in that community now" ads on TV. Where's the picket line in front of the BP station?

The CEO has said nothing truly offensive. He's said that he supports the "traditional" definition of marriage. So do I, I just support other forms of it as well. If chicken motherfucking sandwiches are the biggest problem people are interested in talking about in this country, then we all just need to slit our fucking wrists and leave everything to China.

Mary711

Mary711
  • Living for the next show

• 8,512 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,373 rep
I heard about it in the news. Crazy!

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,389 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,845 rep

It's a chicken motherfucking sandwich. Do I tell you where to eat your chicken motherfucking sandwiches? No. I'm aware of what Chik-Fil-A does with their money, and I'm aware that I indirectly support those charities when I eat a chicken sandwich here. But here's the thing: who the fuck gives the generalized "you" the right to tell me where I can and can't eat a chicken sandwich. So many friends of mine are trying to shame me into never eating there again, and to them I say this: I don't tell you where to eat your fucking chicken sandwiches, so how about you don't tell me where to eat mine? BP nuked an entire ecosystem for a generation, and they continue to run those offensive little "it's ok because we have a person working in that community now" ads on TV. Where's the picket line in front of the BP station?

The CEO has said nothing truly offensive. He's said that he supports the "traditional" definition of marriage. So do I, I just support other forms of it as well. If chicken motherfucking sandwiches are the biggest problem people are interested in talking about in this country, then we all just need to slit our fucking wrists and leave everything to China.

This is wonderful.

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,660 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,949 rep

I don't give a shit if you want to eat there. If someone really wanted to be ethically consistent with not supporting negative corporate actions, they'd basically have to live out in the wilderness. All well and fine.

However, he said nothing truly offensive?

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,' and I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to try to redefine what marriage is about."

Inviting God's judgment? That is quite reminiscent of Jerry Falwell alleging 9/11 happened because of lesbians and feminists, or Pat Robertson's little "Haiti made a deal with the devil." Let people hear the man's words in full, rather than think he just said something like "well, uhm, personally gay marriage isn't my thing" which is what a lot are falsely portraying his tone as.
  • BringMoreKnives and ChuckTaylors like this

BringMoreKnives

BringMoreKnives
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Joined Jul 30, 2008
  • 1,333 rep
Just had a heated discussion with my mother about this. Never in my life have I heard so much stupid spewing out of someone's mouth.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep
Well then, perhaps that's what I get for taking MSNBC (yes, MSNBC) at its word regarding what he'd said. I figured anything that inflammatory would certainly have drawn their ire.

All the same, chicken sandwich is a chicken sandwich. If we all refused to do business with any company that did anything morally reprehensible, we'd be living in fucking self-dug holes in the ground. Except in Florida. You'd all drown. :P

Kid A

Kid A
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Joined Jun 13, 2011
  • 489 rep
Hi gay people, So how's the boycott going on for you?

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,389 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,845 rep

Seriously, dude?
  • BringMoreKnives, Emilie. and ChuckTaylors like this

Kid A

Kid A
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Joined Jun 13, 2011
  • 489 rep
Don't like Chick-Fil-A's ideals? Start up your own fucking business and make shitty chicken sandwiches with secular values.

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep
I am a huge fan of free speech. That way i know who the assholes are.
  • Penguin Puffball and Tre's Busted Drumkit like this

Advertising

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,660 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,949 rep

All the same, chicken sandwich is a chicken sandwich. If we all refused to do business with any company that did anything morally reprehensible, we'd be living in fucking self-dug holes in the ground. Except in Florida. You'd all drown. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

Not to mention I'd still have to buy from disreputable gun dealers to protect myself from the bath salt zombies.

Don't like Chick-Fil-A's ideals? Start up your own fucking business and make shitty chicken sandwiches with secular values.

Don't like using the default text? Use it.

Also, I think I could make a damn fine chicken sandwich myself if I wanted to.
  • Penguin Puffball, Emilie. and ChuckTaylors like this

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,389 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,845 rep
I'd like to believe my chicken sandwiches are pretty good.
  • Trotsky likes this

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,660 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,949 rep
Chick-Fil-A is basically the same deal as KFC anyway, the chicken is average, they add their own special flavoring to the breading, and people get hooked on it.

ChuckTaylors

ChuckTaylors
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,521 posts
  • Joined Jun 24, 2010
  • 1,342 rep
I like kfc more, its crunchier

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,660 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,949 rep
I don't like fastfood chicken all that much to begin with. A fried chicken from the grocery store deli is pretty much as cost effective and way tastier. Only fastfood I like anymore is Arby's and Checker's.

fiercecircus

fiercecircus
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,585 posts
  • Joined Aug 21, 2011
  • 527 rep
ooo... i have heard about Checkers. There is one in NY (its right off 95 on the way into the Bronx) that i have been meaning to check out. Not that i eat much fast food, but still.

I feel the same way about Chick Fil A as i do a lot of other companies (WalMart, etc...) If they support things i don't morally agree with, i try not to shop there at all. Now, if i were stranded on an island starving to death, and all there was to eat was Chick Fil A, i'd still eat it, but y'know... if i have my choice, i'll go someplace else. It's not like a huge issue for me. *shrug*
  • ChuckTaylors likes this

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,660 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,949 rep
Well if I were stranded on an island starving, I think I'll just throw a coconut through their window and take their chicken, that way I'm STILL not contributing money to them. :P
  • BringMoreKnives and ChuckTaylors like this

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,575 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,216 rep
It makes me so angry to see people think the boycott is an attempt to violate Cathy's freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does NOT mean freedom from criticism. Why was it OK to boycott JC Penney and urge them to silence themselves on their obvious feelings about the gay community, but this is seen as something bad? Or, why was it OK to boycott the Dixie Chicks back in the day (I know Natalie Maines' comments weren't about gay rights, but the backlash was similar.)? You aren't supporting free speech by actively supporting them. You're missing the point of the whole issue.

I'm not saying Cathy doesn't have a right to spew his homophobia. He isn't breaking any laws by saying the words he said (and, sadly, the "pray the gay away" organizations he's donating to aren't illegal either). I'm saying that if he's gonna say them, he has to see that if he thinks he's appeasing a group of people against gay rights, he isn't going to appease those against him.
  • Trotsky likes this

BringMoreKnives

BringMoreKnives
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,601 posts
  • Joined Jul 30, 2008
  • 1,333 rep

I do make my chicken sandwiches at home, and I think they are fucking delicious, thank-you-very-much. :P

It makes me so angry to see people think the boycott is an attempt to violate Cathy's freedom of speech. Freedom of speech does NOT mean freedom from criticism. Why was it OK to boycott JC Penney and urge them to silence themselves on their obvious feelings about the gay community, but this is seen as something bad? Or, why was it OK to boycott the Dixie Chicks back in the day (I know Natalie Maines' comments weren't about gay rights, but the backlash was similar.)? You aren't supporting free speech by actively supporting them. You're missing the point of the whole issue.

Right, I forgot about the whole JC Penney thing. Nobody gave a shit when anti-gay people/groups were protesting them. :dry:

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep

I love it when people are able to articulate their views in such intelligent and thoughtful ways. It really encourages a deeper level of critical thinking.

Chick-Fil-A is basically the same deal as KFC anyway, the chicken is average, they add their own special flavoring to the breading, and people get hooked on it.

LIES!
  • Hermione and Penguin Puffball like this

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,389 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,845 rep

I love it when people are able to articulate their views in such intelligent and thoughtful ways. It really encourages a deeper level of critical thinking.

Beautiful. *claps*

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,203 rep

Yeah, that'd be the smart thing to do. Start your own chicken sandwich business. Simply not buying their food would be too easy. :lol:

It's not life or death y'know... People can live without a fucking cheap chicken sandwich if they disagree with where their money is going. It's probably a pile of shite from there anyway, like most fast-food places. Greasy, fatty, and now including a free side order of homophobia. Mmm.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,809 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,659 rep

Right, I forgot about the whole JC Penney thing. Nobody gave a shit when anti-gay people/groups were protesting them. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

It's funny the JC Penney thing should come up. As you may recall, JC Penney's response to criticism of its Mother's Day ad featuring two moms was to run a Father's Day ad featuring, you guessed it, two dads. The CEO of Chik-Fil-A has responded to criticism by basically sticking to his guns and refusing to back down. The beliefs driving his actions may be very different, but the actions themselves are very much the same.

As to why the JC Penney situation got so little coverage (by comparison), my guess would be this--and it's an optimistic one. Mainstream America is used to companies taking a stand in favor of gay rights. When JC Penney runs an ad accepting of homosexuality, it's largely a non-issue to most people (as evidenced by the fact that even Fox News didn't run too hard with the story). On the flip side, as society has become more accepting of homosexuality, it's become less and less accepting of homophobia. When Chik-Fil-A's charitable contributions come under fire and the CEO reaffirms his position, it draws a lot more attention because it's something we're not used to anymore. I think the much larger reaction to the Chik-Fil-A thing, with idiots lining up in droves to buy a (damn fine) politically-motivated chicken motherfucking sandwich because of an "affront to their way of life" or some shit, is proof of that to some extent. Americans are, at this point, more accepting of homosexuality than they are of homophobia, and that's as much a reassuring sign for us as it is a sign of the apocalypse for the idiots who buy chicken sandwiches to prove a point, rather than buying a chicken sandwich because they want a goddamned chicken sandwich.

Penguin Puffball

Penguin Puffball
  • Mary Poopins

• 20,389 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 3,845 rep
This makes me hungry for chicken.
  • Tre's Busted Drumkit likes this

Marlee

Marlee
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,141 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 546 rep
After watching the thousands of people show up to support Chick Fil-a's anti-equality stance, I realized something. The only people who suffered that day were those poor employees. They had to stand there as huge groups of customers said homophobic slurs while ordering. A couple of my friends went and they said everyone was extremely hateful and very blunt about their hate towards LGBT people.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate, News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users