Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

2 days left to enter photography contest

We're having a photography contest where you guys send in a photo that describes what that time of year means to you.

Photo

The Chick-Fil-A Fight

Debate News

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

BringMoreKnives

BringMoreKnives
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts
  • Joined Jul 30, 2008
  • 1,335 rep
Unless you have been living under a fucking rock, (or perhaps live in a country where there aren't any Chick-Fil-A), you've probably heard about the whole Chick-Fil-A controversy. But if you haven't, here's a few articles on it:

http://www.huffingto..._ref=gay-voices
http://thenewcivilri...012/07/02/42684

Basically, a lot of people are getting pissed off because Chick-Fil-A has donated at least 5 Million dollars to hate groups. Y'know, the "pray the gay away", "gay therapy", and trying to make homosexuality illegal type of bullshit. Also, the CEO of Chick-Fil-A, said thinks the "Biblical view of marriage should be upheld".

Then of course Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin, and other Republican politicians jump on the bandwagon of "Well they're just excising their free speech rights", and Mike Huckabee declared August 1st, "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day", which resulting in them having record sales. *facepalm*

Not to mention, Chick-Fil-A has had a history of being sued for discrimination.

So, do you think what Chick-Fil-A is wrong to be doing this, or do you think they are just practicing "their right to free speech"?
  • Trotsky likes this

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,089 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,720 rep

Unless you have been living under a fucking rock, (or perhaps live in a country where there aren't any Chick-Fil-A), you've probably heard about the whole Chick-Fil-A controversy. But if you haven't, here's a few articles on it:

http://www.huffingto..._ref=gay-voices
http://thenewcivilri...012/07/02/42684

Basically, a lot of people are getting pissed off because Chick-Fil-A has donated at least 5 Million dollars to hate groups. Y'know, the "pray the gay away", "gay therapy", and trying to make homosexuality illegal type of bullshit. Also, the CEO of Chick-Fil-A, said thinks the "Biblical view of marriage should be upheld".

Then of course Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin, and other Republican politicians jump on the bandwagon of "Well they're just excising their free speech rights", and Mike Huckabee declared August 1st, "Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day", which resulting in them having record sales. *facepalm*

Not to mention, Chick-Fil-A has had a history of being sued for discrimination.

So, do you think what Chick-Fil-A is wrong to be doing this, or do you think they are just practicing "their right to free speech"?

Apart from the fact that I didn't know this. 'Chick-Fil-A" what the fuck sort of name is that?

And also in that first article, to most of those rhetorical questions, sadly some people will answer yes.

BringMoreKnives

BringMoreKnives
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,603 posts
  • Joined Jul 30, 2008
  • 1,335 rep

And also in that first article, to most of those rhetorical questions, sadly some people will answer yes.

Which makes me want to bang my head against a fucking wall.

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,668 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,957 rep
The worst part about this is the flat out lies the right-wing media has told to sway public opinion back in favor of the homophobes, they have been spreading bullshit that the government is attempting to shut down Chick-Fil-A's which is not even a distortion but a complete fabrication. Because some mayors voiced, on behalf of the people of their cities, the opinion that Chick-Fil-A would be unwelcome to expand into places like Chicago, Boston, and San Francisco, the simple minded have been manipulated in an authoritarian panic that the government is going to punish Chick-Fil-A for exercising freedom of speech.

In reality, all the mayors did was to voice their own opinions, and elected officials have as much free speech as any other person. Their declarations are ones of opinion, not of law.

And let us be clear, Chick-Fil-A is not being protested because their CEO has stated he is against gay marriage. Rather, because the company has donated millions to ex-gay conversion groups, and organizations that campaign against gay rights, some so extreme they think homosexuality itself should be outlawed. And what did this CEO say, that by fighting for marriage equality, America is "inviting God's judgment." That reminds me of someone, I can't quite remember who...

Posted Image

Killsometime

Killsometime
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Joined Feb 04, 2012
  • 9 rep
I Think it's wrong what they did but just dont do what this guy did

BringMoreKnives

BringMoreKnives
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,603 posts
  • Joined Jul 30, 2008
  • 1,335 rep

And let us be clear, Chick-Fil-A is not being protested because their CEO has stated he is against gay marriage. Rather, because the company has donated millions to ex-gay conversion groups, and organizations that campaign against gay rights, some so extreme they think homosexuality itself should be outlawed.

That's what I try to tell people around me that think I don't give a crap about free speech rights, but they don't want to hear it. :rolleyes:

I Think it's wrong what they did but just dont do what this guy did youtu.be/Jg-jzlWcc0E

That's a really shitty way of handling it.

Also, I don't think it's a fantastic idea to go around spray painting Chick-Fil-As either, like some people did. That won't solve anything.

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,646 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 3,156 rep

Mike Huck is the CEO right. And how much money have they made from this?

Whoever loses, he wins.

Apart from the fact that I didn't know this. 'Chick-Fil-A" what the fuck sort of name is that?

A play on words of "Chick(en) Fillet". Fun name.

xJackx

xJackx
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2012
  • 37 rep
It's horrible that they're homophobes. But that part is, by the USA's laws, okay.

The fact that they support anti-gay organizations is NOT okay. It's disgusting and vile and it's not a fucking fast-food chain's (or ANYONE'S) place to say what's okay in marriage.

Killsometime

Killsometime
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Joined Feb 04, 2012
  • 9 rep

That's what I try to tell people around me that think I don't give a crap about free speech rights, but they don't want to hear it. http://www.greendaycommunity.org/public/...

That's a really shitty way of handling it.

Also, I don't think it's a fantastic idea to go around spray painting Chick-Fil-As either, like some people did. That won't solve anything.

I know they don't don't like what chick fill A is saying but don't attack the employees, It's the head of the company that saying it.

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,203 rep
There is no Chick-Fil-A in my country so I don't really know the ins-and-outs of the story but to be honest, you don't really have to. I'm not out to offend anyone here but I cannot wrap my head around how that as an influential company, they're allowed to support the discrimination of millions of normal people on the grounds of a lie. It's disgraceful, unjust, and downright ignorant.

There are definitely same sex marriage hate/opposing groups in England but there just seems to be this huge religious presence in America that IMO seems to make things like this far worse than what we have here. It's really eye-opening.

Vesper

Vesper
  • Outlander

• 18,089 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,720 rep
Hello to the Christian Taliban....
  • BringMoreKnives, MrsBillieJoe95 and Emilie. like this

Holly

Holly
  • I Still Believe.

• 4,600 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2005
  • 480 rep
Wait, Chick-fil-A is a fast food restaurant? I hadn't heard anything about it, but it sounds seriously messed up. I can't begin to imagine how people can be homophobic, it just completely baffles me, and I live with two homophobic parents. What on earth has it got to do with you what other people do with their lives, providing they're not harming anyone? So yeah, I don't understand this story enough to really comment, but I find it disgusting that a chain restaurant can nationally express that it opposes same sex relationships. Religion can be a vile thing.
  • MrsBillieJoe95 likes this

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• 4,101 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,599 rep
I'm gonna be the terrible person that hates this controversy because I really like Chick-Fil-A's sandwiches and milkshakes. Like, I don't necessarily support where the money's going, but yeah, I pretty much like their food, and wish I could just get my food and leave without feeling guilty about it. I don't really know how to say it without sounding like an asshole to both sides of the argument...

All I wanted was a chicken sandwich, and it came with "ethical controversy sauce" on it that I didn't order? I don't know. I'm still of the belief that nothing's really going to stop the same sex marriage thing now that it's such a hot topic. Like yeah, there are homophobes...there are still racists too so....

Yeah, and now we know why I don't do politics and real social issues.

MrsBillieJoe95

MrsBillieJoe95
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 302 rep
I don't really have any strong feelings one way or the other on whether they were right or not to announce their opinion.

I support "gay" rights strongly (I'm straight, but not only do I have an uncle who's gay, the majority of my friends are gay/bi), so I personally think that it's wrong of them to think that marriage is something that should only be shared between a man and woman. I think that it's something that if two people love each other, then they should have the exact same rights as everyone else.

On the other hand, even though I don't agree with their opinion, they do have a right to express their opinions. It's wrong to try to force it on everyone, but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

I don't support any kind of hate groups, so I think that's absolutely terrible for them to support the hate gays groups. If they don't support gay marriage then whatever, but is it really necessary to throw a huge shit fit over it? Pretty certain they're doing this just for the attention :sigh:
--------------

I think that it's something that people honestly should just kinda keep out of business. One way or another, they lose a crapload of customers by announcing their opinions. It's just like the Oreo controversy with the Gay Pride cookie on FB :facepalm:

BringMoreKnives

BringMoreKnives
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,603 posts
  • Joined Jul 30, 2008
  • 1,335 rep

I don't support any kind of hate groups, so I think that's absolutely terrible for them to support the hate gays groups. If they don't support gay marriage then whatever, but is it really necessary to throw a huge shit fit over it? Pretty certain they're doing this just for the attention :sigh:

Not necessary to "throw a huge shit fit", but rather try to handle it in a mature manner, because nobody will listen to you if you're yelling at everyone and acting like an idiot. It's a big deal to me at least because they're donating 5 million to hate groups.

Advertising

blitzkriegdeb

blitzkriegdeb
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,448 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2008
  • 1,350 rep

POPULAR

Posted Image

Chick-Fil-A's food is disgusting anyways.
  • Holly, BringMoreKnives, Kayfabe and 3 others like this

spark in the night

spark in the night
  • ◊∴◊ 400⋅LUX ◊∴◊

• 29,919 posts
  • Joined Jul 15, 2005
  • 3,023 rep
I found out about this on facebook with the whole fake facebook account thing. Totally hilarious.

Also has anyone seen this video?

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,898 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,605 rep
I wonder if they were giving money to racist groups and making racist statements if that would be seen as OK? Or if it would break any laws? I just think it should be treated the same way as that really. Everyone has the right to think what they want but if they choose to speak and act on it then other people have the right to speak and act in return. I hope the negative reaction will be big enough to significantly hurt their business.

There is no Chick-Fil-A in my country so I don't really know the ins-and-outs of the story but to be honest, you don't really have to. I'm not out to offend anyone here but I cannot wrap my head around how that as an influential company, they're allowed to support the discrimination of millions of normal people on the grounds of a lie. It's disgraceful, unjust, and downright ignorant.

There are definitely same sex marriage hate/opposing groups in England but there just seems to be this huge religious presence in America that IMO seems to make things like this far worse than what we have here. It's really eye-opening.

Yeah even though there's plenty of homophobic/anti same sex marriage people here too I can't imagine a big company ever doing something like this, it'd be suicide for their business. The fact that so many people are pissed off is promising but it's a shame it isn't just seen as totally unacceptable.

A play on words of "Chick(en) Fillet". Fun name.

I didn't even think of that! Probably because of how we pronounce it "fill-it". When my brother tried to order a chicken fillet burger in KFC in America they didn't know what the hell he was saying lol. They should've at least called it Chick-In-Fil-A though, Chick Fillet is nonsense.

Comedy & Tragedy

Comedy & Tragedy
  • They Say Of The Acropolis Where The Parthenon Is

• 4,741 posts
  • Joined Apr 13, 2009
  • 899 rep
There aren't any Chick-Fil-As here, so I haven't seen anything first-hand, but this pretty much sums it up.

Posted Image
  • Emilie. and Cat C like this

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• 13,755 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 3,385 rep
I haven't heard of it. I live under a comfy rock.

Maria Gloria

Maria Gloria
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,655 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2010
  • 6,001 rep
We don't have Chick-fil-A here either so I don't know whether what I'm saying is totally unintelligent or not, but seriously, doing this stuff through your business? Sure there's freedom of speech and you can believe what you want, but at least have the decency to keep it at home. If McDonald's publically went anti-Christian I'm sure that would be a different story, which isn't fair.

I do hope it damages their business, if they didn't want that reaction then they shouldn't have used the power of their business to do that. It's a real shame for any decent person who enjoys it that they're now going to feel guilty every time they walk in there, though.

Kayfabe

Kayfabe
  • syllables, killaholic

• 14,646 posts
  • Joined Jun 20, 2009
  • 3,156 rep

I'm gonna be the terrible person that hates this controversy because I really like Chick-Fil-A's sandwiches and milkshakes. Like, I don't necessarily support where the money's going, but yeah, I pretty much like their food, and wish I could just get my food and leave without feeling guilty about it. I don't really know how to say it without sounding like an asshole to both sides of the argument...

All I wanted was a chicken sandwich, and it came with "ethical controversy sauce" on it that I didn't order? I don't know. I'm still of the belief that nothing's really going to stop the same sex marriage thing now that it's such a hot topic. Like yeah, there are homophobes...there are still racists too so....

Don't worry man. Eat your chicken in peace.

Although I'd assume KFC offer a superior product?

ChuckTaylors

ChuckTaylors
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,521 posts
  • Joined Jun 24, 2010
  • 1,342 rep
My family just don't eat there anymore. I never really liked their food in the first place though. I mean, yeah its the guy's free speech to not want gay marrige, but I don't understand why his whole restaurant chain also have to support those views and fund them. I mean the freaking place isn't even open on Sundays.

crock6000

crock6000
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Joined Aug 26, 2009
  • 821 rep
Political activism in the form of eating or not eating a fried chicken sandwich MUST be uniquely American.
  • spark in the night and justcause like this

MrsBillieJoe95

MrsBillieJoe95
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • Joined Jun 12, 2010
  • 302 rep

Not necessary to "throw a huge shit fit", but rather try to handle it in a mature manner, because nobody will listen to you if you yelling at everyone and acting like an idiot. It's a big deal to me at least because they're donating 5 million to hate groups.

I absolutely agree 1million% on everything you said.
I don't think it's a big deal that they don't support gay marriage, but it's absolutely a big deal that they're donating millions of dollars to groups that say that my uncle and my friends can't have the same rights as he can? What makes a heterosexual marriage so damn special that it's "better" or "right" compared to a homosexual marriage?

I haven't heard of it. I live under a comfy rock.

It's okay, I hadn't heard about it until my parents said something about it :P :lol:

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• 6,286 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,791 rep
I don't think free speech is the issue here. Yes, that has been the main focus of the entire Chick-Fil-A "dilemma" but it's not the real problem. People say bad things about homosexuals every day. If this was about free speech, then Oreo should be getting the same amount of publicity for supporting gay rights.

The issue is that they're donating millions of dollars to organizations that continue to remind homosexuals that we are not accepted. You cannot fund organizations for gay therapy, when obviously it doesn't work and makes us feel alienated from society when people say that we need guidance because of the way we are. There aren't "Pray the black away" organizations. Why is there one for homosexuals?

No, free speech isn't the issue. I hear people talk shit about sexual orientation every day. The CEO can say whatever he wants, that's what people do. It's his actions with money that are helping to shun us from society and to make us think that it isn't okay to be gay that's the problem. Not what he's said.
  • Trotsky, Hermione, Mar and 1 other like this

xJackx

xJackx
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Joined Jun 22, 2012
  • 37 rep

I don't think free speech is the issue here. Yes, that has been the main focus of the entire Chick-Fil-A "dilemma" but it's not the real problem. People say bad things about homosexuals every day. If this was about free speech, then Oreo should be getting the same amount of publicity for supporting gay rights.

The issue is that they're donating millions of dollars to organizations that continue to remind homosexuals that we are not accepted. You cannot fund organizations for gay therapy, when obviously it doesn't work and makes us feel alienated from society when people say that we need guidance because of the way we are. There aren't "Pray the black away" organizations. Why is there one for homosexuals?

No, free speech isn't the issue. I hear people talk shit about sexual orientation every day. The CEO can say whatever he wants, that's what people do. It's his actions with money that are helping to shun us from society and to make us thing that it isn't okay to be gay that's the problem. Not what he's said.

Agreed. He can be a homophobic dickhole, that's his own freedom as an American citizen. It goes way to far to A. support hate groups with the profits and B. organize what is effectively "decry the faggots day" at his restaurant. It's saying "not only does my religion tell me this is wrong, but I'm going to go really far to try and get all of the gays out of this country". Absolutely disgusting.

Political activism in the form of eating or not eating a fried chicken sandwich MUST be uniquely American.

American dream, right there.

Edited by xJackyx, 05 August 2012 - 06:31 PM.

• Eva likes this

crock6000

crock6000
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Joined Aug 26, 2009
  • 821 rep

No, free speech isn't the issue. I hear people talk shit about sexual orientation every day. The CEO can say whatever he wants, that's what people do. It's his actions with money that are helping to shun us from society and to make us think that it isn't okay to be gay that's the problem. Not what he's said.

Wow. You are 14????

This is exactly right. This is most certainly not a free speech issue contrary to what all of the stupid conservative fucks will have you believe.

The first amendment to The Constitution protects you from the right of government oppression of speech. It's purpose is to not allow the government to suppress criticism, journalism, etc.

Most political science majors can't even seem to figure that on this "issue". It's the old "I don't agree with you but I'll die for your right to say it" adage.

That said, all you people that lined up...

Posted Image

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• 6,286 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,791 rep

Wow. You are 14????

This is exactly right. This is most certainly not a free speech issue contrary to what all of the stupid conservative fucks will have you believe.

The first amendment to The Constitution protects you from the right of government oppression of speech. It's purpose is to not allow the government to suppress criticism, journalism, etc.

Most political science majors can't even seem to figure that on this "issue". It's the old "I don't agree with you but I'll die for your right to say it" adage.

That said, all you people that lined up...

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-as...

Haha, yeah only 14.

But yeah, the politicians need to stop. I don't care about free speech, I love that that's an amendment in our country. Being able to say what you want is a great thing in my eyes. It's the money being donated to hateful organizations that worries me. I can't wait until 40 years from now when I can go strut around downtown Knoxville, Tennessee with my kids like "Once I had to come to a gay pride parade here because people hated that you'd have two mommies. We showed them, huh?"

crock6000

crock6000
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,721 posts
  • Joined Aug 26, 2009
  • 821 rep

Haha, yeah only 14.

But yeah, the politicians need to stop. I don't care about free speech, I love that that's an amendment in our country. Being able to say what you want is a great thing in my eyes. It's the money being donated to hateful organizations that worries me. I can't wait until 40 years from now when I can go strut around downtown Knoxville, Tennessee with my kids like "Once I had to come to a gay pride parade here because people hated that you'd have two mommies. We showed them, huh?"

The point of that meme is to show those morons the company they hold. Of course half or more of them still probably secretly (or outwardly) wish there was still segregation.

Being in the SouthEast, I am sure you already see plenty of conservative backwards hypocrisy and prejudice in all forms.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Debate, News

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users