Governator

pasalaska

This week’s Song of the Week is the punchy Governator, originally released in 2004 as a b-side of the American Idiot single.

Governator is an unusual song for Green Day as it was both written and sung by Mike. It’s this fact, coupled with the song’s punctuated, simple guitar and drums that have lead fans to draw comparisons between it and the sound of Green Day’s (reported) side-band The Network. Both the title and lyrics of the song make reference to Arnold Schwarzenegger, who at the time of the song’s release was the Republican Governor of Green Day’s home-state, California. The “I’ll be back” chorus of the song references the Terminator movies, and the song seems to draw comparisons between the destructive action of the movie and the media coverage of the ongoing ‘War on Terrorism’ (“it makes great television watching the world end”), just as American Idiot’s lyrics do.

There’s no live footage of Governator out there (in fact, Mike said he didn’t remember the words when the song was requested in 2009 in Australia), so here’s the studio version for your enjoyment:

Lyrics:

He's at it again

And he's gonna win

Gonna take it for a hell ride anyway

He's on your side

Gonna throw you aside

And let the vultures pick apart what's left

Seems like everything was just a fraction of a second from being okay

So run and hide 'cause we're all gonna die

And let the vultures pick apart what's left

I'll be back, I'll be back, I'll be back, I'll be back

He's at it again, He's at it again

And it makes great television watching the world end

He's at it again

He's gonna win

Gonna take it for a joyride anyway

You're standing in line, better make up your mind

And let the bastards pick apart what's left of you

Seems like everything was just a fraction of a second from being a dream

So run and hide 'cause we're all gonna die

Let the government decide what's left

He's at it again, He's at it again

Walk around I see

Million possibilities

Well I know

Nowhere to go

And I can't comprehend

Things this real seems so pretend

I know...I don't know

But I'll be back, I'll be back, I'll be back, I'll be back

I'll be back, I'll be back, I'll be back

I'll be back

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Dirnt got a little offended when I asked why they didn't use Governator for Money Money 20/20. In his opinion it sounds NOTHING like a Network song :)

Mike Dirnt got a little offended when I asked why they didn't use Governator for Money Money 20/20. In his opinion it sounds NOTHING like a Network song :)

Not that I would want to offend Mike, but this song for me is a less entertaining version of Spike.

I'm not a fan of this song, but it's still really cool to hear things coming from Mike.

You're right about it being one of the more unusual Green Day songs lol But I've always liked it cause Mike wrote and sang it :happy:

I like Mike singing but I was never a huge fan of this song. I've only listened to this fully a couple times.

Iv allways loved this song this is one of my favorate B-sides. I have allways wondered if this song was writen in the American Idiot sessions or if it was a hold-over from the Cigarettes and Valentines sessions.

It makes great television watching the world end!

Classic Green Day sound IMO.

I don't like this song so much... but the one thing I love is that Mike sings it :happy: <also all the "hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey's> :lol:

I like the idea of Mike writing and singing songs (and J.A.R is one of the best songs Green Day have done), but I really dislike this song. The music is nothing special, and the lyrics are completely uninspired, to the point of being embarrassing. Not to mention that, despite the fact that he was a Republican, The Terminator wasn't all that terrible of a governor, and pretty moderate.

I like Mike singing but I was never a huge fan of this song. I've only listened to this fully a couple times.

Same with me!

Maybe he was offended that you implied that they we're The Network :creep:

Yeah, I'm a fan of this song, actually. Maybe it's because I don't listen to themes or lyrics too much, but I dunno, I just find it really nice to listen to. Either way the world needs more of Mike's punk rock chops.

I've always liked mikes writing. JAR, Scumbag etc, Govetnator is no exception. Really like this song glad to see it get some love. Let's hope mike gets to sing on something in the trilogy.

it's a nice song..most because of its fun about schwarzennegger and the terminator... and for our luck it is just a b-side.. i think it would be odd on a green day album

but anyways i like it... i'll be back

Not that I would want to offend Mike, but this song for me is a less entertaining version of Spike.

I'm not a fan of this song, but it's still really cool to hear things coming from Mike.

Totally agree with you. It just doesn't do anything for me, which makes me sad because I love Mike so much. It's just that the vocals get a little irritating.

In my community college days, I remember playing this one on the radio a few times. Someone called up and said, "that band kind of sounds like Green Day." True story.

I like this song. Its one of my favourites. Mainly cos its sung and written by The Mike Dirnt ! I'll love anything that Mike will offer ! Well, I'm a Mike fanatic, so yeah ! :D

...why not Let Yourself Go?

Because everyone is already talking about it in the live video thread. Making a SotW would be redundant.

I came in here to say that song sounds like it belongs on Money Money 2020 and I see others think so as well. We can't be wrong heh

I don't like this song at all. Terrible lyrics and music, the only good thing is the bass - line.

(in fact, Mike said he didn’t remember the words when the song was requested in 2009 in Australia),

Ok, I have to admit Mike let me down here because I love Governator. What a shame, because if he had remembered the words we would have got a live version for it and see what Mike's voice can really do live. I wonder if now he learned the lesson and memorised the lyrics again...

Archived