Billie Joe on this season of The Voice as a mentor

Velocity

This might mean paying a little attention to things Christina Aguilera says on Twitter.

Why God why.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is.....curious news to start the day. I'm always happy to see more of BJ but not quite sure how this will turn out. Interested to know exactly how many episodes he'll be in.

I feel bad for anyone mentored by him, besides the fact that he is a good vocalist. When he talks though . . .

"umm but ummya know ya know ya know umm umm but umm ya know . . . ya know."

Pretty sure it's because of Tony Vincent taking part in the show and being positive about the experience, from what the GD.com news article says I think he felt he could be himself and just improve himself instead of becoming a different kind of artist that had to sing a different kind of song. Sounds like something Billie Joe would support but it's extremely weird combined with his dislike of the media and reality tv.

Looks like a mainly commercial move, but it's defendable.

This makes total sense from a marketing standpoint, and I'm really excited about the promotion for the albums from it. :happy:

This honestly was a bit surprising, didn't expect him to do something like this at all!

Still I have to say, at least what I know from the german "The Voice", that this is one of the better casting shows. I'd actually say a pretty good one compared to most shows I know. The concept and the intentions are a lot more about the music, the artists and how you could help to improve what they're doing. Not about changing them or their style. I also think that someone who's more into this genre is needed. I've heard that most of the judges or mentors in the US show basically are into pop, country or whatever. In the german show, we have two guys who pretty much are into rock music. So I can actually imagine Billie Joe fitting into the show, being able to help the artists a lot and making a good contribution to the show!

I would have hoped for a better team than Christina Aguilera's, though :lol:

Just gonna copy paste my post on GDA 'cause I'm lazy.

Well, it's one of the better talent shows out there. Could've done a lot worse. He's gonna get flamed to the deepest circles of hell for this though (can't wait for the UltimateGuitar comments). The concept of the show isn't bad, it's just that the contracts and whatnot for the finalists are less than perfect...

Gotta give it to him though for doing what he wants regardless of the criticism he's going to get. I mean, he doesn't exactly need the money so he's doing it because he wants to. And I think he'll be a great mentor.

and my inner refusing-to-believe-Green-Day-is-huge-fangirl is saying "noo, Billie Joe, that's too mainstream!".

------------------well now my posts merged-----------------------

(ooh time to copy my other GDA comment. This is a really time saving way of posting!)

Looks like a mainly commercial move, but it's defendable.

I really really doubt he does it for the (commercial) attention it'll give to the band. Unless I've misunderstood them for years, Green Day or Billie have never given off an air of caring a lot about commercial success. I don't think he'd do a tv show just for air time, I think he's just doing it because he likes it and is in a position to actually be a mentor. The air time being a convenient side effect.

Wow, this awesome!! I don't really watch the Voice very much, but I saw some episodes earlier this year when Kelly Clarkson (my other favorite artists besides Green Day) was a mentor for Blake Shelton's team. What's cool is that Billie isn't really seen as a "vocalist" so much as... a rock star, I guess. He's known for his music overall, but not so much for his vocal abilities. I'm curious to see what kind of advice he has for the contestants, and maybe learn more about his own vocal techniques. I can't wait to see his episodes (even though I'm pretty sure the amount of time we see him ends up not being as much as we'd like - and he's only going to be on 4 or 5 episodes). Also, great to see Billie expanding what he does and the core audience that sees him! Woo!!! Team Billie!!! (I mean Christina...)

I know nothing about this show, but it sounds kind of like X Factor... :S I hope it's not.

I have a feeling it's similar to it...but it should be watchable if Billie is on it :P

I really really doubt he does it for the (commercial) attention it'll give to the band. Unless I've misunderstood them for years, Green Day or Billie have never given off an air of caring a lot about commercial success. I don't think he'd do a tv show just for air time, I think he's just doing it because he likes it and is in a position to actually be a mentor. The air time being a convenient side effect.

I think you are right. Billie would never have agreed to work on a show he does not like in the first place. I would guess that Warner takes this opportunity to promote the albums, maybe (they might get mentioned in one of the episodes during the introduction of Billie), but the main reason would probably be because Billie enjoys being a small part of that show.

Did I mention that The Voice is actually a Dutch concept? :P

Not a big fan of the show though

I have a feeling it's similar to it...but it should be watchable if Billie is on it :P

It's the US version of that shitty show on the BBC a few weeks back. The one with Tom Jones, Will.i.am, and Jessie J as judges.

He's only a guest though isn't he? Not like he's gonna be on it every week. Think people think he's an actual mentor

this is awesome :'D he wouldnt do this if he didnt like the show.. im really happy for him!

24047427.jpg

Yeah, he's gonna get alot of shit for this, but who cares. :P I think this is cool, even though I don't watch these types of shows usually.

He's only a guest though isn't he? Not like he's gonna be on it every week. Think people think he's an actual mentor

uhm no i dont think he's a guest.. they said that he's gonna be the mentor for Christina's team.. which means he's in every show her team is in

Did I mention that The Voice is actually a Dutch concept? :P

Not a big fan of the show though

I knew that :P my mom really likes it. I haven't really followed it but it's not bad. All contestants can actually sing so it's not a laughing game like the X-Factor show things. That's also why I don't think this is too bad an idea. Billie'll mentor people with actual talent.

No, but that would be impossible as well because he probably won't be around that much on the days the show will air live I think (because of touring and promotion)

But he will be a mentor during the battle rounds I think.

I got a feeling he is asked to join to share some of his Broadway and regular Green Day stage presence experience.

But probably vocals as well

um no just no. Wouldn't this take time away from the upcoming promoting of the albums and tour? Anyway I expect a lot of people to be sweared at.

That was totally unexpected. My first reaction was wtf Billie? I wanted to go on with my life without seeing an episode of The Voice, but now I guess I will, at least for the eye candy ;)

uhm no i dont think he's a guest.. they said that he's gonna be the mentor for Christina's team.. which means he's in every show her team is in

But he's a guest consultant meaning he'll be in one or two episodes, right? How many episodes do guests usually do?

24047427.jpg

Yeah, he's gonna get alot of shit for this, but who cares. :P I think this is cool, even though I don't watch these types of shows usually.

I like this pic because it's so true, but I agree who cares? I think it's good promotion for the albums and all

Archived