Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
The results of the Bobo Awards are now available here! Didn't get to vote? Go support our boys by voting for them here. I know we can beat Paramore this time.

Photo

How I Met Your Mother

* * * * * 3 votes TV Show

• Please log in to reply
740 replies to this topic

Cruise

Cruise
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2010
  • 470 rep

The first half of the episode was great, then they had the plot twists and it went all over the place. They could of dropped the whole barney/robin divorce, the constant addition of more kids and even the very final ending. It started off so well but then crashed and burned. It seemed as though it was just a half hour episode that they extended into an extra half hour. They should of shortened the time barney and robins wedding took and used some of those episodes to take some of the wasted content from the final episode.  Also killing off the mother was a horrible idea, it didn't really add anything to the story just made it even more awkward and confusing as it contradicted the last few seasons, all while being completely unnecessary, I actually like the mother even though she entered right at the end she was a great addition, I wish she was added sooner actually and that we got to see more of her.

johndorkian

johndorkian
  • fighter of the nightman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,953 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2006
  • 4,013 rep

tumblr_n3cbgxbMKr1rse9j6o1_500.png

i'm still annoyed.

• Tre's Busted Drumkit, Heather. and Viva La Sonia! like this

Akshat

Akshat
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2012
  • 713 rep

They're including an alternate ending in the DVD. 

Just hope Ted doesn't end up with Lily this time.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

They're including an alternate ending in the DVD. 

Just hope Ted doesn't end up with Lily this time.

How I met, banged and fell in love with your uncle's wife. He's not really your uncle, otherwise this would be really, really weird.

Akshat

Akshat
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2012
  • 713 rep

How I met, banged and fell in love with your uncle's wife. He's not really your uncle, otherwise this would be really, really weird.

The original title should have been

How I banged 39 sluts and dated 5 women before I banged your mom and finally shagged your aunt robin after she died.

Heather.

Heather.
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,445 posts
  • Joined Jul 03, 2011
  • 6,739 rep

The original title should have been

How I banged 39 sluts and dated 5 women before I banged your mom and finally shagged your aunt robin after she died.

The syntax of this makes it seem like he banged Robin's corpse.  Careful. Grammar kills.

Although I think it was fucked up and unnecessary to kill the mother, I did appreciate being horrifyingly shocked that this happened (I haven't been looking at any spoilers and hardly paid any attention this season, so if they were dropping "she got sick" hints, I didn't notice until the finale). I remember feeling bored by the Friends finale because everything just worked out so hunky dory cheesy, and I appreciated that Barney & Robin got divorced and that they threw me for a loop with the mother dying. I don't like it, but I like that I was surprised by it.

One thing I hate is that the show pushed so hard on the Ted-Robin romance, but because we knew that Robin isn't the mother, as fans we were accepting and even supportive of the fact that they WERE NOT MEANT TO BE, and I just didn't need them to BE. If the premise of the show had always been Robin IS the mother, then that would be fine, but it wasn't, so it shouldn't have ended that way.

I agree with the How I Met Your Stepmother. 

• Viva La Sonia! and Akshat like this

Akshat

Akshat
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2012
  • 713 rep

The syntax of this makes it seem like he banged Robin's corpse.  Careful. Grammar kills.

There should have been a comma after the careful

Viva La Sonia!

Viva La Sonia!
  • Think Lovely Wonderful Thoughts

• 5,298 posts
  • Joined Jul 10, 2011
  • 2,094 rep
"How I Finally Got Aunt Robin"

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • We're Coming Home Again

• 12,238 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,072 rep

Just saw the finale and nope, fuck that shit, completely ruined the entire show. Goodbye.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

Somehow I knew you'd feel that way. I'm going to be really pissed if the alternate ending is Ted and Tracy living happily ever after, with Robin getting over Ted (who figured we'd ever be saying that) and reconciling--not remarrying or getting back together with, just reconciling--with Barney.

• Lady Nightlife likes this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • We're Coming Home Again

• 12,238 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,072 rep

Somehow I knew you'd feel that way. I'm going to be really pissed if the alternate ending is Ted and Tracy living happily ever after, with Robin getting over Ted (who figured we'd ever be saying that) and reconciling--not remarrying or getting back together with, just reconciling--with Barney.

The thing I'm most furious about is how they portrayed Barney as an older person. Come on, after showing that the dude clearly had the capability to mature, etc., they went the most disappointing and obvious route and turned his character into an absolutely pathetic, stereotypical mid-life crisis mess.

Well, they kind of did the same with every character. Ted is still an indecisive, neurotic, hopeless romantic, Lily and Marshall are still themselves, Robin is still a stone-cold bitch, etc.

I've gotta say, the lack of character development was always a shitty aspect of the show, but you never really cared much because it seemed like the characters were locked in a time-warp. It really killed the ending though.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep

So Meg Ryan will have the Bob Saget role in "How I Met Your Dad".

Jesus tittyfuck I hope that show does not get picked up. It will, of course, because CBS is smart enough to know that one shitty episode isn't enough to alienate nine years worth of fans. I actually read somewhere (if it's on the interwebz, it must be true) that most of the fans pissed off were the ones who'd started watching the show back in the first few seasons. As dubious as the take may be, it makes sense that there would be some kind of "Scherbatsky line" where fans are either ok or not ok with the ending. I would posit that that line was drawn in the first Slapsgiving episode, back in season three, where it was made abundantly clear that as bad as Robin and Ted were as a couple, they were great as friends. Those who either watched the whole show from the beginning or caught the entire series on Netflix would have sat through the entire second season, where Robin and Ted slowly realized that they weren't right for each other, and seen the resolution in Slapsgiving to that whole plotline. That group of viewers would probably have wanted Ted and Robin to stay split for good.

But then there's another group of viewers. Those who started watching in later seasons and haven't seen the Ted/Robin dynamic that existed in seasons one through three. I started watching sometime towards the end of the fifth season. Let's say I left it there. Let's say that I didn't go back and find the rest of the show, and start watching from the beginning. If I think about it from that point of view, suddenly I'm more ok with the ending. The Ted/Robin dynamic in later seasons was more of an angsty Ted being unable to get over Robin, and Robin never quite convincing the viewers that she was over Ted, even as she was dating Barney and Kevin, and as late as the day of her wedding. If I'd started there and not gone back, I wouldn't have seen the many and varied reasons that Ted and Robin had been there, done that and failed. The two of them ending up together would have been almost storybook. And that's what really bothers me about it at this point. It wasn't an ending designed to reward those who'd seen every episode, or been around since day one. It was an ending that pandered to the large (probably majority) number of fans who had started watching later. I wouldn't be surprised if the "alternate ending" that the creators have up their sleeves was the one they originally intended to go with, with the "bang Aunt Robin" ending filmed as a possibility in case the show lasted long enough that a happy ending for Robin and Ted wound up making more sense than making Ted happy at Robin's expense.

I'm calling it now: the alternate ending is the mother living and staying with Ted forever. My biggest piece of evidence is that the creators were practically apologizing for this ending's very existence when they said that it would be on the DVD, saying that they stand behind the "go bang Aunt Robin" ending despite what this ending shows. Why would they make a statement like that if they didn't know that the ending they picked is the wrong one?

• Eva, Akshat and Lady Nightlife like this

Akshat

Akshat
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2012
  • 713 rep

That scene in Silver Linings Playbook where Bradley Cooper is reading a Ernest Hemingway book and after he's done, loses his shit is exactly how I felt about the finale. "Life is hard guys, the least you can do is give a happy ending. But NO"

• bat-chen, Saranet and Not Anyone. like this

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,858 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,873 rep

Finally got around to watch the finale. Worst HIMYM episode of all times. The whole episode was so depressing, I could have cried from the beginning till the end. But not out of joy, just because it was all so frustrating. If I hadn't promised a really good friend to watch it with him, I'd never watch the finale again.

Davis Weiss

Davis Weiss
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Joined May 25, 2012
  • 158 rep

I'm not sure why any of this is bad. Honestly I would much rather have Ted and Tracy still be together and have Robin completely out of the picture. She turned out to be almost as awful if not worse than Canada in the last episode. Ted was way too good for her in the end.

Advertising

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 685 rep

The UK just got the finale, and now I finally understand why everyone in the world hates it.

• johndorkian likes this

watchmefade92

watchmefade92
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Joined Aug 12, 2011
  • 164 rep

I really liked it. For real.

"Dead mother" is the only way that the whole thing with Ted, alone, telling the story of how he met their mother, makes sense. Those rumours were circulating for the last four years, at least, so I kinda accepted this possible ending a long time before.

Also the Robin thing, well, there were so many moments illustrating that Ted never stopped loving her, even though they don't really fit to each other (something that could have actually changed over the years). It might not make sense, but love doesn't have to (to use a quote from this season).

I liked the fact, that it kinda has this open ending. We don't know if he reallly "gets Robin", something a lot of people here assumed. Maybe because they expected a clear, straightforward ending, but that's not how life works.

Note: I'm referring to a fictional TV/movie-reality. Speaking for real-life, the whole show would be complete bullshit, but that's something I take as a given when I watch a sitcom. 

johndorkian

johndorkian
  • fighter of the nightman

• 15,953 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2006
  • 4,013 rep

so the alternate ending leaked and i'm just going to pretend that this is what they aired instead of the fucking trainwreck they went with.

Sarcasm

Sarcasm
  • Panty Purée/Savior of Lives/Arse Doctor

• 15,982 posts
  • Joined Mar 18, 2009
  • 10,012 rep
I'm gonna Premier that into the finale :P
  • johndorkian likes this

Akshat

Akshat
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts
  • Joined Oct 27, 2012
  • 713 rep

The alternate one is way better. Makes me believe that the 9th season did not suck afterall.

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 685 rep

Fuck, it's gone.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TV Show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users