Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

University/College

• Please log in to reply
5413 replies to this topic

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Product of War and Fear that We've Been Victimised

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 2,370 rep

So, I'm guaranteed a place at Sussex if I get BBB (realistically I think I can't get more than ABC, honestly I'm not expecting that last one to be a C), but they'll not allow me into the foundation course, so now I've ended up applying for regular Physics there too. I certainly hope Queen Mary doesn't pull this shit on me too.

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • darling i'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,355 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,975 rep

Actually making half decent progress on this lit review thing although everyone thinks I'm absolutely ridiculous for even thinking about writing it right now as I'm only 3 weeks into my second semester of six.

I'm pretty much halfway done my first section of four total, 1500 words so far. Advisorman better be impressed as shit with me :mad:

Mary711

Mary711
  • Living for the next show

• 8,555 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,391 rep

I'm still waiting for answers to my applications.  :dry:

BetterThanAir

BetterThanAir
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Joined Feb 05, 2010
  • 329 rep

This is just going to be a rant about something that goes on in Canada on my program. I'm not sure if the same happens throughout the globe, or if anyone will even read this/care, but I figured I should post. 

I take a few things at the University I go to, but mainly, I am a Social Work and Disability Studies student. I am in my second year and truly do aspire to get a doctorate in this field. 

Unfortunately, for third year, two hundred and eighty of us have to reapply for our program. There are only ninety spots open.

I think doing this is absolutely ridiculous because we pay so much money for school and spend months working our reapplication forms. We require a certain average (cumulative and non-cumulative), a personal statement, two reference letters from a job and volunteer work, forms form all of our community hours we put forth throughout the semester, and our completed courses/where we hope to have a placement. Some people who make it to third year do not even stick it through and they leave, and no one is allowed to fill in their empty spots.

What the real kicker is for me, though, is not only do I have two hundred and eighty people I go to school with that I'm competing with, but I have to worry about the college students. The college students are allowed to reapply with is and I think that's absolutely ridiculous. My friend who takes Child and Youth Care Work at the college has only had four exams in two years, and wrote essays on Super Nanny....while I was learning about laws and legislations, counselling methods, and psychological disorders. 
For my programme, experience really matters. It matters so much and many of the University students don't have time for it because we have so much work to do. The college students get placements for classes, even in first year. 

I am not putting down people who go to college at all, by the way. If I could go back in time, I'd go to college instead. It's a lot cheaper and I wouldn't be as stressed as I am now.

Next year, I am not dropping out, but I am not reapplying for third year. This means I will have no placement. I will try to reapply next year. I'll still be allowed to go to third year classes, but I'm mainly going to focus on French and Creative Writing. I hope during this time I can get some more experience to put in my letter and hopefully earn a spot as one of the lucky ninety people.

youngreendayvet

youngreendayvet
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2011
  • 16 rep

This is just going to be a rant about something that goes on in Canada on my program. I'm not sure if the same happens throughout the globe, or if anyone will even read this/care, but I figured I should post. 

I take a few things at the University I go to, but mainly, I am a Social Work and Disability Studies student. I am in my second year and truly do aspire to get a doctorate in this field. 

Unfortunately, for third year, two hundred and eighty of us have to reapply for our program. There are only ninety spots open.

I think doing this is absolutely ridiculous because we pay so much money for school and spend months working our reapplication forms. We require a certain average (cumulative and non-cumulative), a personal statement, two reference letters from a job and volunteer work, forms form all of our community hours we put forth throughout the semester, and our completed courses/where we hope to have a placement. Some people who make it to third year do not even stick it through and they leave, and no one is allowed to fill in their empty spots.

What the real kicker is for me, though, is not only do I have two hundred and eighty people I go to school with that I'm competing with, but I have to worry about the college students. The college students are allowed to reapply with is and I think that's absolutely ridiculous. My friend who takes Child and Youth Care Work at the college has only had four exams in two years, and wrote essays on Super Nanny....while I was learning about laws and legislations, counselling methods, and psychological disorders. 
For my programme, experience really matters. It matters so much and many of the University students don't have time for it because we have so much work to do. The college students get placements for classes, even in first year. 

I am not putting down people who go to college at all, by the way. If I could go back in time, I'd go to college instead. It's a lot cheaper and I wouldn't be as stressed as I am now.

Next year, I am not dropping out, but I am not reapplying for third year. This means I will have no placement. I will try to reapply next year. I'll still be allowed to go to third year classes, but I'm mainly going to focus on French and Creative Writing. I hope during this time I can get some more experience to put in my letter and hopefully earn a spot as one of the lucky ninety people.

Sounds like a rigorous program. Even if you don't get the slot, it sounds like you have a nice plan and will end up just fine  :lol:. It sounds like your credentials are better than your competition though.

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 14,355 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,975 rep

GOOD GOD if you ever have to write a massive paper over a long period of time, find an effective way to keep track of your references.

I thought I was doing really well at that but now that I need to use them I'm like 'hm I remember a paper saying this...... but which one was it? *sifts through 300 papers*'.....

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 20,827 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 4,770 rep

got marks for our consumer law assignment today. apparently the class average was a 67... i got an 87.  :confused:

• lizziebix and SaintJimmy13 like this

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 14,355 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,975 rep

got marks for our consumer law assignment today. apparently the class average was a 67... i got an 87.  :confused:

Makes you wonder about your classmates, doesn't it :P

BetterThanAir

BetterThanAir
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Joined Feb 05, 2010
  • 329 rep

GOOD GOD if you ever have to write a massive paper over a long period of time, find an effective way to keep track of your references.

I thought I was doing really well at that but now that I need to use them I'm like 'hm I remember a paper saying this...... but which one was it? *sifts through 300 papers*'.....

I figured it out the hard way my first year of University. If we have a paper indicated on the syllabus, I now highlight important quotes in my books with orange highlighters instead of yellow, and put them on a sticky note (well, the page numbers and such). 

Wow, that's awesome!  :dance:

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 14,355 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,975 rep

I figured it out the hard way my first year of University. If we have a paper indicated on the syllabus, I now highlight important quotes in my books with orange highlighters instead of yellow, and put them on a sticky note (well, the page numbers and such). 

Yeah now that I've started writing I think I'll be able to keep track of info better because I know what kind of stuff I need, but blah.

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• 31,085 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,907 rep
I still haven't got the keeping track of articles down :lol: I always think "oh I'll remember that" or don't think I'll need it at all at first and then get in trouble later... oops.

Also I got a 7 for my last paper (the one you had to do in couples and I was coupled with someone exactly like me, good enough at writing papers but a huge procrastinator so everything was last minute) and I'm not happy with it... I'm finding I'm becoming even more of a perfectionist, anything lower than a 7 is not good enough. And it's silly becaude I know I won't be able anymore to get my bachelor's cum laude (I think I average around an 8 now and you need an 8.5) so there really is no point, but meh. And I can't complain about it cause people say I'm mad when I'm unhappy with a 7 :P

Undómiel

Undómiel
  • Fuck You

• 18,253 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,821 rep

maaaate i just realised around about this time last year I got my first unconditional from Sheffield and now look where I am

Are you doing a whole undergrad there or just a year?

I've just realised I've quoted you in so many threads that your whole notifications bar is just gonna be me.

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 14,355 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,975 rep

Why is it that I've written a rough draft of 1/4 of my lit review (3000 words so far since Monday) that technically has no due date aside from being finished by the time I'm writing my thesis and I still feel like I should have written more this week and that everything I've written is shit

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 20,827 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 4,770 rep

waited around at school for an extra three hours because we were scheduled for westlaw training to use advanced functions on the website, and the guy never showed up.  :rolleyes:  so rather than being able to go home right after my first class and beating the blizzard, i had to wait around the school for no reason and then drive home in a white out. a 20 minute drive that took over an hour. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users