Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
We're having a photography contest where you guys send in a photo that describes what that time of year means to you. Only one week left to enter.

Photo

University/College

• Please log in to reply
5245 replies to this topic

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • darling i'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,000 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,762 rep

What kind of name is Jordan for a cat though.

Well if you ask me...

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love
  • No, this is Patrick

• 30,949 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,813 rep
This is definitely the worst I've ever prepared for an exam, and I'm not stressed out the least bit. Like, I'm just annoyed I have to get up early tomorrow (well, this morning by now) so I won't get at least 8hrs of sleep. No idea what's wrong with me but I'm not sure I like it =/ Don't want my perfect track record ruined by failing an exam because I didn't do enough studying because I couldn't motivate myself (I still have zero discipline, only stress and a sense of responsibility make me do things).

Not making excuses obv (it's my responsibility to study, shouldn't rely on stress), it's just odd...

AwePuppy

AwePuppy
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • Joined Oct 24, 2010
  • 118 rep

Got a term paper due tomorrow and I have it all written out.  The people who I asked to read it says it flows good, they just do not agree with the academic articles i use to references. Was explaining to them they were just references then they wanted to argue that they do not agree with the psychologist from which I wrote my paper on... Now I am worrying if this paper sucks.

I might just edit it from the suggestions I got from those who were helpful other than the people who hated my references because they do not agree... lol Then turn the damn thing in tomorrow.

My topic is about how online friendships are beneficial to increasing socoal interactions. Especially for those who tend to rely on the internet for support, more than others.

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 14,000 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,762 rep

Got a term paper due tomorrow and I have it all written out.  The people who I asked to read it says it flows good, they just do not agree with the academic articles i use to references. Was explaining to them they were just references then they wanted to argue that they do not agree with the psychologist from which I wrote my paper on... Now I am worrying if this paper sucks.

I might just edit it from the suggestions I got from those who were helpful other than the people who hated my references because they do not agree... lol Then turn the damn thing in tomorrow.

My topic is about how online friendships are beneficial to increasing socoal interactions. Especially for those who tend to rely on the internet for support, more than others.

There are shitty references, sure, but it's more about how you use them. If you're more critical of the reference and acknowledge not only the information that is useful to you but also some of the limitations (ie a badly done scientific study or very biased work) then it shouldn't be a big deal whether anyone agrees or disagrees with the reference. Particularly in social science when more opinion is involved, who can say whether someone is right or wrong?

Ludwig van Beethoven

Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Joined Nov 13, 2012
  • 171 rep

Hey guys, I just posted something in the angry thread regarding college. I'll re-post it below spoilered for those who are interested.

Spoiler

I just really don't know what to do regarding my resume. I am at a way disadvantage. How can I get into college when that is my competition- the perfect seeming privileged cheaters? I want UBC Vancouver so bad it hurts, but I can't get it. What can I do? How can I make my resume better despite all my disadvantages? And since I have to set my expectations low now, what are schools in Canada (and the US too I guess) that may not be a top competitive school but are still good? (To make clear, I'm a Canadian who grew up in the US).

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 14,000 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,762 rep

Hey guys, I just posted something in the angry thread regarding college. I'll re-post it below spoilered for those who are interested.

Spoiler

I just really don't know what to do regarding my resume. I am at a way disadvantage. How can I get into college when that is my competition- the perfect seeming privileged cheaters? I want UBC Vancouver so bad it hurts, but I can't get it. What can I do? How can I make my resume better despite all my disadvantages? And since I have to set my expectations low now, what are schools in Canada (and the US too I guess) that may not be a top competitive school but are still good? (To make clear, I'm a Canadian who grew up in the US).

There are a ton of great schools in Canada. I'd say my friends and I were all average (maybe a little bit above average, but nothing mind-blowing) students who weren't very involved in any kinds of extracurriculars and we all got into good schools and most of us got entrance scholarships. I'm not sure what you're looking to go to school for (unless I missed it, sorry!) but all of the Canadian schools you listed there are very good and you do have a chance of getting in. Obviously programs like Queens or UofT Eng or Commerce are a bit harder to get into, but UWaterloo (I almost went there) and UBC are perfectly acceptable schools (I know a couple people at UBC -- my cousin is doing his PhD there), so are U of T (I applied there as well), Queens, UOttawa, Carleton (holla Carling!), Guelph (I'm on round two there so maybe I'm a bit biased), Western... not really sure about outside of Ontario. There aren't many 'bad' schools that I'm aware of, except places like Windsor, Ryerson, Brock, and schools in the middle of nowhere like Trent and Nippissing get laughed at a bit. So does Lakehead but if you're at all interested in Forestry, Thunder Bay is the place to be.

Obviously within those schools some will be better for some things (i.e. why do people go to Guelph for Fine Art?!), but none of them are bad and you shouldn't be ashamed to go to any of them.

So your peers might get into more prestigious schools -- but you're being true to yourself and getting by on your own and fairly. Who cares if you go to UBC instead of Harvard? In the long run going where you want will be a much happier experience for you -- think about how many of your peers are probably doing what they're doing (bribery etc) and applying to these fancy schools because their parents want them to go there or just to maintain an 'image' of sorts. When does that truly lead to being happy in life and what you're pursuing?

I hope that was of some comfort to you. I know it's hard to make these decisions, especially when everyone around you seems to have their shit together and you don't.

Like I said, I'm on round two and I have friends that have had different experiences at a bunch of different schools. Feel free to message me if you have questions or just want to vent about it :)

• Khaleesi. likes this

Ludwig van Beethoven

Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Joined Nov 13, 2012
  • 171 rep

Thank you so much for your reply, it means a lot. :)

I would be completely happy if I went to UBC or U Toronto or McGill- hell, I'd be over my head in joy. I'd choose those schools over Harvard any day.

I'm just really scared that I wont get in. You say I have a chance, and I really really hope I do. I literally wake up in the middle of the night panicking because of dreams where UBC rejects me. I've invested so much hope, thought, and love into the school I just can't seem to give it up. Despite the fact I've been trying to reconcile myself to rejection, the rejection letter will crush me.

For the past few years, I had planned on going into Sustainability. But the more I think of it and piece together who I am, I find that what I really want to be is a university professor. I'm not sure what subject, but definitely not math or science (with an exception of enviro sci, maybe that).

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 14,000 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,762 rep

Thank you so much for your reply, it means a lot. :)

I would be completely happy if I went to UBC or U Toronto or McGill- hell, I'd be over my head in joy. I'd choose those schools over Harvard any day.

I'm just really scared that I wont get in. You say I have a chance, and I really really hope I do. I literally wake up in the middle of the night panicking because of dreams where UBC rejects me. I've invested so much hope, thought, and love into the school I just can't seem to give it up. Despite the fact I've been trying to reconcile myself to rejection, the rejection letter will crush me.

For the past few years, I had planned on going into Sustainability. But the more I think of it and piece together who I am, I find that what I really want to be is a university professor. I'm not sure what subject, but definitely not math or science (with an exception of enviro sci, maybe that).

UBC is a great place to go for sustainability stuff, as is Dalhousie in Halifax. Guelph is fab for Environmental Science (hence why I'm there and still biased!) and full of sustainability activists. I forgot about McGill also, but I creeped around there last summer when I was in Montreal and it's beautiful and also a very good school.

If you're doing well you'll be fine :) Sorry to mention Guelph again but as far as I know their cutoff average is something like 70% which for most isn't particularly difficult to achieve in high school. Also, if its of any further comfort, one friend I met in undergrad had really shitty marks by the end of high school because his mom died in grade 11 or 12, and he was able to write a letter to the school explaining why his marks weren't as high as they should/could have been so they could consider his personal circumstances as well. So maybe that would apply to any issues you have had with depression etc that may have interfered with your ability to achieve super outstanding grades or to participate more outside of classes. 

(Also, trust me, having just taught a lab for a first year class this semester -- there were many times were I seriously wondered how those students got into university)

Nemo.

Nemo.
  • Droggelbecher <3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,320 posts
  • Joined Jul 08, 2011
  • 2,027 rep

I'm printing my third and last essay for this semester. god I'm happy that I finished it. And I skipped one lecture today and I will skip class later because I'm so fucking tired and unmotivated^^ 

chewychorizo

chewychorizo
  • cutie

• 13,755 posts
  • Joined Aug 24, 2008
  • 3,385 rep
Going to start studying tonight. Exams in January :(

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 1,109 rep
If my lecturers could stop adding more and more things onto our projects 3 weeks before the deadlines or actually tell us exactly what is expected of us from the start that would be great :) I'm seriously struggling with it all, only have 4 days in the holidays when I'm not working to finish everything.

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • this love is glowing in the dark

• 27,133 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,717 rep

I got a first for my globalisation essay!!!!!!!!!!!!! :runaround:

• johndorkian likes this

KarlyLovesGD

KarlyLovesGD
  • Meyohimeyoi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,075 posts
  • Joined Jun 17, 2011
  • 2,915 rep

Got my first university acceptance today!! It's my last choice, but at least it's somewhere.

The decision for my first choice comes out Christmas Eve. Talk about making or breaking Christmas!

• Maid Meringue likes this

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• 8,277 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 3,154 rep
UCAS just sent my application to my 4 choices :runaround:

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 6,212 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 4,226 rep

One exam down, one to go!! :runaround:

Got my first final mark yesterday too, got an A. :D Good start! Really hoping I'll make Deans List this semester but I have a feeling my Organizational Behaviour class will make or break that. 

Advertising

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 14,000 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,762 rep

Still haven't gotten my presentation mark back :mad:

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 20,478 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 4,495 rep

A+, A, B+, B+, B+, B+ 

:dance:

• lizziebix, Lindsay and Cath like this

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 4,221 rep

A+, A, B+, B+, B+, B+ 

:dance:

congrats!! 

still i haven't received one single marks and exams ended 2 weeks ago :(

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 14,000 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,762 rep

Still haven't gotten my presentation mark back :mad:

Never mind he posted final grades for the class! 

92 :happy:

• lizziebix and Maid Meringue like this

Maid Meringue

Maid Meringue
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Joined Nov 05, 2014
  • 176 rep

So my new Uni has already found ways to screw me with transfer credits, so while I argue with them to be able to take my major-required courses, I'm going to enjoy my lessons. 
These are quite possibly the most difficult "fun classes" I've ever taken. Why couldn't Tap Dancing be a 3000-level course? lol 

Mon + Wed - Western Civilization 
Mon - Global Conservation
Tues +Thurs - Environmental Ethics 
Tues +Thurs- Cultural Anthropology 
Wed- Egyptian and Near Eastern Art 
Sat - Archaeology 

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_
  • disappearin' in the fade

• 8,824 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,889 rep
Had my exam for terrorism, dissonance and criminal justice today. Went well :D also collected my assignment for it - first. Plus I'll have about 9 or 10% in the bag for class participation so hopefully I'll get the first overall!!
  • lizziebix likes this

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him

• 14,000 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,762 rep

FML I think I have to use R 

R and GIS, everything I know nothing about :rolleyes: 

No one in my lab knows GIS or MaxEnt either so I'm completely on my own here

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• 8,277 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 3,154 rep
I've got an unconditional offer to my first choice university :runaround: Yey!!

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 6,212 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 4,226 rep

FINALLY done exams!! :runaround: Just waiting for marks now! Have two A's so far, doubt that'll keep up but it sure would be nice. :P

• Khaleesi. likes this

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 20,478 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 4,495 rep

FINALLY done exams!! :runaround: Just waiting for marks now! Have two A's so far, doubt that'll keep up but it sure would be nice. :P

yay!!! good job :) 

• Lindsay likes this

armatage

armatage
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • Joined Jul 08, 2009
  • 376 rep

I was just looking up colleges from 2am till 4am. I actually planned on taking yet another gap year but my mom is pushing me to apply and it seems like I might give in. Ugh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users