Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

University/College

• Please log in to reply
4569 replies to this topic

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 3,823 rep

I'd like to go to University but I'm still in a phase "I don't know what to do with my life" + I still have my last year of high school and now I'm the most confused people ever 

If you're not sure, then work. :) Get a job that'll keep you going until you know for sure what you want to do. Work in a bar, a cafe, an office... anywhere. There's no rush! They put too much pressure on you to decide your entire future at such a young age, when in reality you can spend a couple of years trying new things and discovering which path is really right for you. 

Definitely DO NOT pick a uni degree just because you enjoy the subject at school. Pick something that'll get you a job, because I can't tell you how many of my friends are graduating with useless degrees because school made them think that university was their only option. Make sure you're using your degree to get somewhere. 

• Lindsay likes this

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_
  • disappearin' in the fade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,311 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,588 rep

Definitely DO NOT pick a uni degree just because you enjoy the subject at school.  

This this this this.

I did that. I went into a general science degree because I liked biology. I did not consider the fact that I would also have to study physics, chemistry and maths. Turned out I was awful at these subjects, failed about 8 out of 10 of the exams, ended up dropping out and having to pay full tuition fees and losing my financial aid for a year :lol:

Prime example of why being asked to choose your career at 17/18 years of age is madness.
  • Katarina., IlariaIDIOT and Cat C like this

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 4,691 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 3,823 rep

^ Exactly. If you do want to go to university, start by thinking about which job you can see yourself doing. When you get that far, look into what you'd need to study and whether or not you'll even need a degree (some prefer experience over formal education). The job market can be really daunting at your age, and unless you're a lot smarter than I was (not hard to be, I must admit) you'll have a pretty limited view of what's out there. No harm in bumming around for a year, making ends meet with a local job until you've got everything settled. You'll be surprised how much you end up learning while you're not in any form of education.

Maria Gloria

Maria Gloria
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2010
  • 5,733 rep

I totally agree. I tried to study Travel & Tourism because it seemed like a "secure" subject and I was vaguely interested, but it wasn't me at all and I ended up dropping out too. Taking a year off helped me clear my head and think about what I really wanted to do. I think it's a good idea even if you already know what you want to do, just to be sure.

IlariaIDIOT

IlariaIDIOT
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2010
  • 451 rep

So you don't know whether to go to university or not or just WHAT to study at university?

I've never spoke to anyone about uni, because I failed 2 years so I've always been the loser one 
Today my mum was like "You can do whatever you want, what about doing this, what about this" 

We talked about "Conservation of cultural asset" curses and it would be great, 'cause I would study Middle Ages history and middle ages stuff
and it's greeat. But still, i don't know. 

Pick something that'll get you a job, because I can't tell you how many of my friends are graduating with useless degrees because school made them think that university was their only option. Make sure you're using your degree to get somewhere. 

My school adress is about tourism: foreign languages, art and a sort of business management (for me is like wtf) 
If I decide to go to uni, I'd like to keep on studying art because I'd like to became a touriste guide and work maybe into a castle/museum

Prime example of why being asked to choose your career at 17/18 years of age is madness.

Oh I wish I was still 18 but I'm 20 and that's the biggest problem. 

Agija

Agija
  • I always have tomorrow

• 16,439 posts
  • Joined Sep 02, 2006
  • 3,111 rep

My school adress is about tourism: foreign languages, art and a sort of business management (for me is like wtf) 
If I decide to go to uni, I'd like to keep on studying art because I'd like to became a touriste guide and work maybe into a castle/museum

I used to work as a tour guide when I was in high school. It was super fun as I got to walk around this beautiful old town and castle ruins, and meet lots of fantastic people from all over the world all the time. I think it would be quite a great job for you if that's what you like. Although you don't really need a degree to do that, do you? You could try to get a job as a tour guide when you graduate from high school and see how it goes, and go to Uni when you know what you'd like to do for sure (keep the guide job or try something different). :)

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 4,691 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 3,823 rep

Don't do art at uni unless you're walking straight into a career. The problem with anything creative is that there's nothing they can really teach you that you can't discover yourself (part of my degree is in creative writing and I'm in my final year, so I can definitely confirm this). I'd stick with tourism if you want to do something like that.

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 13,942 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,374 rep

I really just wanna quit right now and come back when my health is back on track. I'm struggling to even get out of bed, and next semester I'm going to have to start a 200hr placement. And getting ready for that placement is making me think this course isn't right for me. But as soon as I brought up taking leave for just a semester dad went ape, he hates the idea :(

idk I just want to take a year or so off, try to get healthy, maybe work if I'm well enough, and then come back and re-think my course.

The only thing stopping me from doing that is that starting in 2016 fees are going to be much more expensive. Right now my fees aren't that bad, but I don't know if I want to take a year off it means my fees go up so much

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 5,861 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 3,902 rep

Completely agree with making sure your uni degree is going to get you somewhere. I know a few people who took degrees in something they found interesting (history, anthropology, ect) and they can't do jack shit with their degree now that they're graduated 'cause they didn't get the jobs they expected to. You definitely need to follow your heart & passions, but there's also a point where you need to be logical and say "will this get me a financially stable job in the future?". 

I really just wanna quit right now and come back when my health is back on track. I'm struggling to even get out of bed, and next semester I'm going to have to start a 200hr placement. And getting ready for that placement is making me think this course isn't right for me. But as soon as I brought up taking leave for just a semester dad went ape, he hates the idea :(

I really do think you need to convince your dad to let you take a year off, Emilie. From your posts I've seen around the forum, you seem to be in a lot of pain from your health issues and it's going to be really hard to concentrate fully on school when you're not feeling well. I know you're worried about the fees going up, but for your own well being, I think it's important for you to take some time off and get your health back on track. School will always be there, it's not going anywhere.

Can't believe I go back next week. Doing classes this fall semester and then I'm hoping to do a work term in the winter semester, have to find something first though. It'll be nice having a break from classes, though I am on the home stretch to graduation! 3 semesters of classes left. :) 

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 13,942 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,374 rep

I really do think you need to convince your dad to let you take a year off, Emilie. From your posts I've seen around the forum, you seem to be in a lot of pain from your health issues and it's going to be really hard to concentrate fully on school when you're not feeling well. I know you're worried about the fees going up, but for your own well being, I think it's important for you to take some time off and get your health back on track. School will always be there, it's not going anywhere.

Mm. Hopefully once I get a diagnosis he'll be easier on me about it.

I'm thinking if I do end up leaving completely I might just not go back to university. I could get a diploma in childhood education and become a pre-school teacher?

my problem is I'm so indecisive :lol: I just have no idea what I want to do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users