Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Posted Image  New "F**K Cancer" shirt. 100% of profits are going to breast cancer charity. Check them out.

Photo

University/College

• Please log in to reply
4528 replies to this topic

Agija

Agija
  • I always have tomorrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,433 posts
  • Joined Sep 02, 2006
  • 3,110 rep

Well, from what I've gathered, in the 2nd semester I'll have all my classes on Tuesday. That's ridiculous :lol: Like on Tuesday I'll have classes from 11am to 9:30pm and no classes at all on the other days. Now that's not too big of a problem because I'm also doing my bachelor thesis in that semester so I'll probably need all the free time I can get, but still it would've been nice to have my classes spread out a bit over the week. 

I also only had lectures once a week the semester I was writing my Bachelor thesis. It was great but I'd be lying if I said I was working on my thesis all the other days I had off uni. :whistle: I'm pretty sure you'll want to sleep in and be quite lazy on Wednesdays (if you're not working then, of course).

Okay, this is ridiculous... I just can't concentrate for more than half an hour anymore. Whenever I sit down to write one of my papers/study, I can only do so for a very short time. I sometimes manage an hour or so, but then I also always end up getting a massive headache which isn't very helpful either. How am I supposed to finish two 15-page papers this month if I can only work on them for like an hour a day?!

Oh, I can relate, felt quite the same when I had stuff to do for uni. It sure isn't the best advice, but maybe wait for a bit (or write for this half an hour you can) and the inspiration will come. It did for me, always a little too late but at least I never missed the deadline. 

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 19,117 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 3,588 rep

two of my course outlines have been posted so far... one class has 3 field trips. :lol: to the supreme court of canada, the provincial courthouse and parliament! just from reading the course outlines i can already tell that this program is gonna be very different from my bachelors. 

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,555 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 3,985 rep

so university starts soon and i have my room and my job there so everything's perfect :D

Disapperingirl

Disapperingirl
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,186 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2011
  • 2,531 rep

I hate being so doubtful but I'm not sure about my choice of taking the International Politics curriculum anymore :( there are 3 curricula available for my languages faculty but there are just like 2 different exams from one to another, so I thought that wouldn't make a great difference, as I'm interested in both the International politics field but also in the Literature and Cultures one...but a girl who's studying there told my sister the International Politics path is all towards politic institutions, and it is compulsory to do an internship abroad, so for example I wouldn't be able to go abroad with the Erasmus project instead...I can't find this information anywhere on the website but ugh, this made me insicure again about my choice 

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 21,904 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 5,911 rep

Well, from what I've gathered, in the 2nd semester I'll have all my classes on Tuesday. That's ridiculous :lol: Like on Tuesday I'll have classes from 11am to 9:30pm and no classes at all on the other days. Now that's not too big of a problem because I'm also doing my bachelor thesis in that semester so I'll probably need all the free time I can get, but still it would've been nice to have my classes spread out a bit over the week. 

And I got an offer for a TA position in statistics. Well not really an offer but I got an email saying "we need two TA's and from your results you're probably a good candidate, wanna come for an interview?" which is close enough, Which is alright because I'm good at statistics but it also includes teaching SPSS and I'm awful at that. So I think I'm going to go for an interview for it but ehhhhhh 

Congrats on the TA offer.  I'm sure you'll ace the interview!

Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love

• No, this is Patrick

• 30,589 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,571 rep

I also only had lectures once a week the semester I was writing my Bachelor thesis. It was great but I'd be lying if I said I was working on my thesis all the other days I had off uni. :whistle: I'm pretty sure you'll want to sleep in and be quite lazy on Wednesdays (if you're not working then, of course).

Haha yeah, I know what you mean, always mean to do work every day and you never do it :lol: For the past two years I've always had lectures at least on three or four days of the week and I really liked my days off then, but I'm afraid with only lectures once a week it's going to be hard to get started on the other days! I'm not too good with studying at home (A)

Congrats on the TA offer.  I'm sure you'll ace the interview!

Thank you, Marilyn! :happy: 

Maria Gloria

Maria Gloria
  • Dearly Beloved

• 7,425 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2010
  • 5,700 rep

This arrived yesterday :D

10292288_335095429982615_237507448458391

• Agija, Daughter.of.Rage.and.Love, lizziebix and 1 other like this

Agija

Agija
  • I always have tomorrow

• 16,433 posts
  • Joined Sep 02, 2006
  • 3,110 rep

Haha yeah, I know what you mean, always mean to do work every day and you never do it :lol: For the past two years I've always had lectures at least on three or four days of the week and I really liked my days off then, but I'm afraid with only lectures once a week it's going to be hard to get started on the other days! I'm not too good with studying at home (A)

I'm sure you'll manage to do some work on your days off but don't feel bad if you end up "wasting" some of your free time doing nothing for your thesis or anything else uni related - enjoy the free time given to you, once you start working full time, you won't have such a possibility. 

At least that's what I tell myself. :lol:

• No, this is Patrick

• 30,589 posts
  • Joined Oct 23, 2008
  • 3,571 rep

I'm sure you'll manage to do some work on your days off but don't feel bad if you end up "wasting" some of your free time doing nothing for your thesis or anything else uni related - enjoy the free time given to you, once you start working full time, you won't have such a possibility. 

At least that's what I tell myself. :lol:

Sounds like a great plan! :thumbsup:

Mary711

Mary711
  • Living for the next show

• 8,402 posts
  • Joined Jun 30, 2010
  • 2,300 rep

POPULAR

I got accepted for two universities I applied for. One of it being my first choice! :D

• Maddy., lizziebix, Vesper and 3 others like this

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • Have you seen my bear Tibbers?

• 13,088 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,239 rep
School starts so soon and I'm really nervous.

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 19,117 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 3,588 rep

School starts so soon and I'm really nervous.

me too  :ermm:  all new school, waaahhhh

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• 6,555 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 3,985 rep

i just realized i had a pdf document in the email university sent me about the integration. yé now i only have two days left to organize all of this and there are a lot of things to prepare so i'm freaking out because everybody is probably ready and i have nothing done :(

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 13,812 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,302 rep

so what's the deal with swearing in essays? I need to quote something directly in an essay I'm writing but the person I'm quoting swears a bit. In high school our teachers would've said it was too informal of a word to use or something and they would've made us censor it. But I can just quote it directly right?

I mean originally I thought of course it's okay, no one will have a problem with it. But they're ridiculously strict about other language so I'd rather be safe than lose marks over a silly thing like this

Cruise

Cruise
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2010
  • 431 rep

so what's the deal with swearing in essays? I need to quote something directly in an essay I'm writing but the person I'm quoting swears a bit. In high school our teachers would've said it was too informal of a word to use or something and they would've made us censor it. But I can just quote it directly right?

I mean originally I thought of course it's okay, no one will have a problem with it. But they're ridiculously strict about other language so I'd rather be safe than lose marks over a silly thing like this

I guess it would depend on what the essay is about although it sounds like yours should allow it. I guess you might just have an uptight course coordinator. We were even allowed to have swearing in our stuff at school, teachers were even encouraging it as long as it was fit for the piece, as in not just putting it there because we can. 

Advertising

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,812 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,302 rep

I guess it would depend on what the essay is about although it sounds like yours should allow it. I guess you might just have an uptight course coordinator. We were even allowed to have swearing in our stuff at school, teachers were even encouraging it as long as it was fit for the piece, as in not just putting it there because we can. 

it's a film review, and I gotta link themes of the film to real-life. So in one part I have to quote a line in the film where they swear a bit. Not badly, just 'shit'. but y'know. 

EDIT: And posting this, I just realised that I left out one of the main things I had to talk about in the essay :lol: It's due tomorrow and I'm already going to be over the word limit, I can't re-write this!

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• 6,054 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,342 rep

does anyone want to give a confused 11th grader advice on how to pick out a college and how college applications work because the guidance counselors keep telling me to start this shit but idk what to do.

like they keep telling me to apply for scholarships and tour campuses and think about essays and take the ACTs but??? there's no real advice just a list of what i'm not doing but should be and it's overwhelming and scary because in my mind i'm still a 14-year-old freshman

Hayley

Hayley
  • yolo

• 11,721 posts
  • Joined Apr 24, 2006
  • 681 rep

me too  :ermm:  all new school, waaahhhh

I'm going to a new school too :(

not excited 

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • Have you seen my bear Tibbers?

• 13,088 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,239 rep
I'm going back to Guelph thank God but grad school is going to be so different from undergrad and after hearing all of Rob's friends talk about liking/not liking stuff and whether or not its worth doing I'm just shitting myself.

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,715 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,793 rep

I'm going back to Guelph thank God but grad school is going to be so different from undergrad and after hearing all of Rob's friends talk about liking/not liking stuff and whether or not its worth doing I'm just shitting myself.

I'm sure you'll be fine. :happy: You just go way deeper into the subjects which is pretty cool, I think. In my case, it's also a lot more work, but I don't mind that. I think you've made the right decision, Jordan. You always seemed to enjoy going to uni, so why not do it for another 2 (?) years? :)

Sappy

Sappy
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts
  • Joined Jan 27, 2013
  • 245 rep

I start college in less than a week :wacko:

Vesper

Vesper
  • Sand Snake

• 17,940 posts
  • Joined Jun 10, 2010
  • 6,572 rep

Got my new timetable. This term I have Thursdays off completely, and in Lent term I have Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays off... woo!!

It's Splash Time

It's Splash Time
  • I'm at the bottom of your list of things to do.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,522 posts
  • Joined Oct 21, 2011
  • 2,873 rep

About 12 hours until my resit. Not sure how this is going to go. On the bright side, if I fail it, I can retake it or take another course along with my chemistry 3 courses to get those 20 credits. 

They released the registration for the year in industry/abroad a few days ago and it took a while to make my mind up over what I want to do. Put my top option as industry international, then abroad in europe, then industry in UK. Still need to get my CV sorted before the interview in fresher's week. =/

BringMoreKnives

BringMoreKnives
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,545 posts
  • Joined Jul 30, 2008
  • 1,292 rep

So I'll be off to college in a year. Wonderful.

Everyone keeps asking me what I plan on majoring/studying, and I'm just like, jesus christ how am I supposed to know that already?

I have no clue really. .__.

Kaddi.

Kaddi.

• 13,715 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,793 rep

Just having a major freak-out over my Business Marketing paper. :runaround: It's due on Tuesday, it has to be 13 pages and so far, I only have about 6. I can't work on it on Sunday at all, so I'm really running out of time. I need to write at least two pages today. Aaaand here we go.

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• 8,036 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 3,014 rep

fuckfuckfuck.

I think I might have completely fucked myself over for being able to get into uni (or at least the one I want) :cry:

I got 4As in my higher exams (last school year) and that's what my first choice university want. But my guidance teacher told me that if the course I'm applying for is competitive they might look for further qualifications this year, but I'm only going to get one new qualification that a uni will care about this year (because I'm resitting one subject to upgrade my C, doing another higher that is pass/fail - when unis want grades - and another subject which is the grade below what unis will look at).

So if they look at the second sitting of exams I won't qualify :cry:  

No one in the school has brought up this issue before though, so I don't know if she has given me wrong information or what. I'm really freaking out though. D:

Kaddi.

Kaddi.

• 13,715 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,793 rep

Wrote 2.5 pages in two hours. Nailed it. :D

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• 6,555 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 3,985 rep

tomorrow is the initiation its stressing me 

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,812 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,302 rep

fuckfuckfuck.

I think I might have completely fucked myself over for being able to get into uni (or at least the one I want) :cry:

I got 4As in my higher exams (last school year) and that's what my first choice university want. But my guidance teacher told me that if the course I'm applying for is competitive they might look for further qualifications this year, but I'm only going to get one new qualification that a uni will care about this year (because I'm resitting one subject to upgrade my C, doing another higher that is pass/fail - when unis want grades - and another subject which is the grade below what unis will look at).

So if they look at the second sitting of exams I won't qualify :cry:

No one in the school has brought up this issue before though, so I don't know if she has given me wrong information or what. I'm really freaking out though. D:

I don't know how different it is in Scotland but I wouldn't panic too much. Just do everything you can do now and hope you get in. In my experience, qualifying for a course is nowhere near as hard as high schools make it out to be. My friend was in a similar situation where she was told she was doing fine with her grades, then 6 months before graduation one teacher told her that she actually didn't qualify because she missed one subject that the uni supposedly required. She ended up dropping out, and then found out this year that her teacher was wrong.

So, you never know. They could be right, but if this is the first time they've brought it up to you then it probably doesn't matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users