Liam

University/College

Mauri

I had my Organic Chemistry II final exam on monday and started the semester 2 hours after that. I'll be taking Biologic Chemistry and Analytic Chemistry, 30 hours of classes per week.

Undómiel

I can't find the motivation to do any studying... urgh.

Juliette

Snap. I'm supposed to be writing a plan for my dissertation. Ehhh naw.

Undómiel

Snap. I'm supposed to be writing a plan for my dissertation. Ehhh naw.

I'm just supposed to be getting cracking on my reading list.

Juliette

Oh yeah that too. So far read 4/20 books :ermm:

Whatsername1911

I'm so stoked to get back. Mostly for the food.

Hopefully my motivation will be back when classes start though.

Undómiel

Oh yeah that too. So far read 4/20 books :ermm:

You're ahead of me then. My current total is 0/7

alaniluau

I just got my book list for my English class this fall, and man, am I excited! :wub: I've heard that the professor is a tough grader, but that he'll change your life. I can't wait to meet this guy!

Boston

Working 25 hours this semester and taking 17 credits. Sigh.

Whatsername1911

Working 25 hours this semester and taking 17 credits. Sigh.

There goes your life.

Kaddi.

You've got a reading list? Like a list of books you have to read before the semester starts?

Marlee

5 days til I move out and leave for college. I assume feeling nervous as fuck is normal...

Undómiel

You've got a reading list? Like a list of books you have to read before the semester starts?

Yup. :)

Lindsay

So glad I don't have to do any summer readings. I would probably forget anyways. :lol:

CristhyneS

I'm taking a course over the summer (physics III). Exhausting stuff, since it compresses 12 weeks worth of classes into 6. And because I couldn't take the first exam on the shcedule day because I hurt my left wrist (and I'm left handed), I have to take it on Monday, it'll probably will be more difficult and the professor will probably correct it tougher than he did the ones that were taken on time (which is to say a lot). And then on Wednesday I have the second exam, which I'll take on the scheduled day. And I have to write my position paper for the Venezuelan model of the United Nations this weekend (or more like dictate it to my bf and have him type it for me because typing with just one hand is such a pain). So.... I'll have no life this weekend =(

Kaddi.

Yup. :)

Does anything happen if you don't read the books? Sorry for all these questions, but we don't have such a thing. We can read some books during the semester, but we don't have to. Plus, it's usually just a few chapters and not the whole book and nobody cares whether you do it or not, it's just for yourself.

Juliette

Does anything happen if you don't read the books? Sorry for all these questions, but we don't have such a thing. We can read some books during the semester, but we don't have to. Plus, it's usually just a few chapters and not the whole book and nobody cares whether you do it or not, it's just for yourself.

The only thing that would happen is you wouldn't be prepared for classes and wouldn't be able to do the work to a high enough standard really. Me and Bryony are both doing literature courses so in order to stay on top of all the reading, which is usually a few novels or whatever each semester, you need to do it over the summer. Otherwise you don't have time to read the books & you get behind. When I was in 1st year we were averaging a couple books a week and there's just not enough time to read those as you go along.

Agija

The only thing I officially have to do during summer break is to make a scientific herbarium of 10 moss, 10 lichen and 15 higher plant species. It's been literally causing me headaches since I was first told about it.

Thank goodness, I managed to collect all the moss and lichen species I needed during the practice we had in July. Higher plants are killing me, though. They never look well enough when they've dried or have way too long roots, so I can't even get them out of soil.

Anyway, I sewed my first two plants to paper yesterday, and they actually looked pretty, so maybe it won't be as bad as I thought after all. :happy:

CristhyneS

The only thing that would happen is you wouldn't be prepared for classes and wouldn't be able to do the work to a high enough standard really. Me and Bryony are both doing literature courses so in order to stay on top of all the reading, which is usually a few novels or whatever each semester, you need to do it over the summer. Otherwise you don't have time to read the books & you get behind. When I was in 1st year we were averaging a couple books a week and there's just not enough time to read those as you go along.

And many people in my university (all studying engineering or science) go on and on about how this is so much harder than other careers like "psychology or literature", but yet they whine and cry like little babies when they have to read one novel each trimester. Most of them would nearly kill themselves if they had to keep up with one book (let alone two) a week.

Isabel

Yeah, in my Marketing module our lecturer gave us something like 8 articles to read over the course of 13 weeks. Some of them were 25 and 30 pages long, but others were only maybe 10/12 pages long. People were actually freaking out saying 'WTF, how does he think we're going to get the time to read these on top of everything else we have to do in our other classes!?" It was mildly amusing because I got through them, along with around 20 others that I had researched myself. I just kept thinking 'Oh my God, this is final fucking year in college. How can you not be able to do it at THIS stage??' I'm not advocating that it was all peaches and cream either, I was really stressed out about it too because I was working 20 hours a week on top of doing all of my college work so it was tough- but I just prioritised so I was able to get it done. I just don't think many other people put in the right amount of time that was expected of them.

My brother did an English course and he used to come home from college at like, 10pm every night because he spent so long in the library. Although they only had about 10 hours of class to accommodate for all of the reading they had to do.

She-Loves-Him

So excited to go back!!!!!!!

Two more weeks.

Undómiel

I am really scared about the amount of reading I'm going to have to do. Off to tackle Hamlet today...

gdpony

My last exam of my college life is today! Unless I fail it, which I'm pretty scared about, cause it would mean I would have to take the course again :( .

It's 4:20am, my exam is at 1pm and I can't sleep cause I'm so nervous. I hope my teacher goes easy on us ...

Beathe.

Going back on Thursday. I already have most of the books I'm going to use this year, so I only have to buy seven. :happy:

Kaddi.

I think it's crazy how many books you all have to buy for university. I didn't buy a single one last semester. I borrowed the ones that I really needed from the library and all the others weren't important enough to bother. I think 4 books were the most I ever bought for one semester. They're so expensive, how do you even manage buying 7 or more books? :blink: