Time to vote in the GDC Awards 2018! Voting closes October 18th Read more... ×
Liam

University/College

Milan.
On 2/14/2018 at 11:54 AM, She-Loves-Him said:

And exactly one week later I’ve already been accepted???

Congrats on the acceptance to your post grad. I finally got my MsC paper in the mail saying I passed.

As for myself, I finally accepted the offer to do an Bachelor of Nursing. Why, well because I could see myself working with people and actually enjoying the profession. 

• Like 2

Milan.

Might update this.

I don't know whether I should worried, or concerned by the fact I was teaching a PhD student and my class the basics in research, finding journal articles and the importance of choosing peer reviewed articles as they are often cited and reviewed by others today. I don't know if I should be worried because I was teaching people how to do the basics in IT for research and such because my tutor of class didn't know. I don't know if I should be worried that I basically equally or more qualified than the people teaching me at the moment despite coming from a different education background. All I know is that I am intimidating the shit out of people right now and that the people seem really unfriendly, and unwilling to talk.

I also am concerned because its only been a week and I am already ahead of most people and have completed the basics in my units whilst others can't be arsed to do there reading. I know I have a teaching background and have completed my MsC but I almost feel like I way ahead of the curve and that nursing won't be so challenging even when it comes to learning about anatomy and bio .etc. because I kinda know all these tips and tricks on how to remember things from my teaching degree.

Its just making me wonder, and think about how after I left my original uni (which I have gone back to) and went to a more academic based uni about how much I developed as a person and how much better the culture, vibe and feel of the place was at Melbourne (University of Melbourne is where I completed my Masters) compared to Victoria University where I am now at again. The difference between the two of them is immense and I almost miss the cut throat and pressure cook vibe of Melbourne Uni. I felt challenged there, I felt like people where making me think and made me smarter. I thrive when I am learning off other peoples ideas and perspectives and amalgamating them into my own and after my first week at Vic Uni I feel almost deflated.

I honestly don't think nursing is bad but I am almost 100% certain that I prefer research and educating other people (at an adult/kids level) more than anything else. I almost want to admit that I want to learn more about disability and mental health so I can go teach, and tutor others about it. Its what I love and whilst nursing leads to those areas this uni environment is not really inspiring me.

I am sorry for the rant guys and am open to opinions because I need clarity. In short though, I can see the potential in nursing but I feel as if I will end up combining it with education in the future as a part of me enjoys teaching others even if I don't want to admit it... and that maybe, just maybe doing a post grad in something related to health policy may be a better option than another bachelors...

Libertine Angel

I'm probably gonna take all my exams in August and get an extension for my dissertation because this year has gone pretty damn badly (my dissertation's due in a week and I have 800 words, for example).

Sofouska

MEDICINE IS EXCITING OH MY GOD. 

I might die of exhaustion, but still, EXCITING. That's it. That sums up my university experience so far.

• Like 2

Emilie
2 hours ago, Sofouska said:

MEDICINE IS EXCITING OH MY GOD. 

I might die of exhaustion, but still, EXCITING. That's it. That sums up my university experience so far.

Ooh you’re doing medicine?!

i started biomedical science this year which is basically pre-med. it’s also exhausting but so interesting and fun. I do have a problem with one lab instructor though and I think I’m gonna have to make a complaint =/ which I don’t want to do, but I also need to do something about it 

Milan.
32 minutes ago, Emilie said:

There is nothing wrong with making a complaint against an instructor, especially if they are doing something wrong. Feedback allows for progression and growth. But hey, you have to do what you have to do.

I have now officially completed my first unit block for Nursing and I am surprised by how much I actually like it. A few years ago you could not get me to read a science book and now I cannot put it down. I do not know whether because its a challenge, or whether its stimulating but its really enjoyable and now I can see a career direction happening because of it.

I always used to think my teaching degree was useless but now I see myself wanting to become a nurse educator after working a couple years within the field at a academic level. I have the background in education and with a few more additions I could be doing something I love within the next five or so years.

Emilie
25 minutes ago, Milan. said:

There is nothing wrong with making a complaint against an instructor, especially if they are doing something wrong. Feedback allows for progression and growth. But hey, you have to do what you have to do.

That's true. I just don't want to cause more difficulty for myself later down the line. And it wasn't a majorly wrong thing, my instructor is just really rude and kept trying to embarrass me and another guy in front of the class. Which was embarrassing (obviously :L) but also annoying because I wasn't always able to get help from her when I needed it. And since she's singling me out to treat me badly already I don't know what she's going to do when it comes to my grades.

If I could just move to a different lab bench I'd have a different instructor and it'd be fine. But apparently you're not allowed to do that, so I'd need to make a complaint

Sofouska
11 hours ago, Emilie said:

Ooh you’re doing medicine?!

i started biomedical science this year which is basically pre-med. it’s also exhausting but so interesting and fun. I do have a problem with one lab instructor though and I think I’m gonna have to make a complaint =/ which I don’t want to do, but I also need to do something about it 

Oooh it is fun indeed, definitely worth the lack of sleep! 

Is it possible to make an anonymous complaint, or are you given any anonymous evaluation forms at some point? That's what I would do, mostly because I wouldn't want anyone causing me trouble later on.

Emilie
7 hours ago, Sofouska said:

Oooh it is fun indeed, definitely worth the lack of sleep! 

Is it possible to make an anonymous complaint, or are you given any anonymous evaluation forms at some point? That's what I would do, mostly because I wouldn't want anyone causing me trouble later on.

We do get anonymous evaluation forms, but if I do it anonymously I won’t be able to change instructors :/ If i don’t do it anonymously I think they’ll either organise me to sit down and talk with the instructor, or they’ll just tell her there’s been a complaint and not tell her who. So there’s a chance I’ll be anonymous to her!

im so nervous to make trouble though, cause getting a job in this area (especially at my uni) is all about who you know and who you make friends with 

Emilie

My course coordinator is talking to us about exchange programs rn and one of the options is a semester in Guelph @She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
12 hours ago, Emilie said:

My course coordinator is talking to us about exchange programs rn and one of the options is a semester in Guelph @She-Loves-Him

That’s amazing! Come to Guelph!

Emilie
9 hours ago, She-Loves-Him said:

That’s amazing! Come to Guelph!

I’d like to!

Marki.

This exam period is killing me, the end can't come fast enough... I can't shake the nervousness and it feels like my brain can't even form basic sentences anymore :sleep: 

• Like 1

Jane Lannister
3 hours ago, Marki. said:

This exam period is killing me, the end can't come fast enough... I can't shake the nervousness and it feels like my brain can't even form basic sentences anymore :sleep: 

You got this :hug:

• Love 1

Penguin Puffball

I decided that I'm gonna go to school to be a vet tech. And I'm sticking with it this time.

• Like 2

She-Loves-Him

jfc I hope the user experience of my new college's website is not also a representation of how my year is going to go. It is absolutely terrible. I have never once had a flawless experience trying to do ANYTHING on it. 

Trying to log into the photo submission thing for my student card, and I literally COPIED AND PASTED my email into the email box, and reset my password so I would know exactly what it is, and it still says its all invalid. Yet I can use the EXACT SAME information to log into my account on the school website, and to my college email. 

Billie Hoe

Group projects should be abolished because they're absolute shit 90% of the time.

In my summer semester I was part of four group projects total. One was absolutely great; we did a survey with Telekom forum users and an interview with one of the top users and put the results in a graphic e-paper and i had so much fun designing it (if you wanna take a look: https://ok.mediencampus.h-da.de/wp-content/uploads/sites/23/2018/06/ePaper.pdf) and even Telekom themself said it was great and very insightful. 

Another project however was THE worst group project I've ever had the misfortune of participating in. We were collaborating with a couple of start ups from Berlin and we were supposed to optimize their websites for search engines, that was the whole point of the course. My group was working together with a company that is organizing fun bachelor parties and in the beginning we were a group of four (some were groups of five). A few weeks later one group member left us before the work even really started, so we were three people doing the work of 4 or 5. The last group members were me, my friend and a woman one semester below us. However, that woman kept ignoring deadlines, was super sloppy with her work or straight up didn't do it lmao, which resulted in a LOT of all nighters for the remaining two of us and severed nerves. Essentially the two of us did the work of 4-5 people, right.

So LAST NIGHT we got our grades for the project and it turns out that my friend and I are the only ones who passed with a grade worse than 2,3, everyone else was better. :) That means.... that even.... my shithead project partner.... who didn't do SHIT ..... whose work we constantly had to do FOR HER..... got a better grade..... lmao.......

I hate college

Jane Lannister
3 hours ago, Billie Hoe said:

Group projects should be abolished because they're absolute shit 90% of the time.

In my summer semester I was part of four group projects total. One was absolutely great; we did a survey with Telekom forum users and an interview with one of the top users and put the results in a graphic e-paper and i had so much fun designing it (if you wanna take a look: https://ok.mediencampus.h-da.de/wp-content/uploads/sites/23/2018/06/ePaper.pdf) and even Telekom themself said it was great and very insightful. 

Another project however was THE worst group project I've ever had the misfortune of participating in. We were collaborating with a couple of start ups from Berlin and we were supposed to optimize their websites for search engines, that was the whole point of the course. My group was working together with a company that is organizing fun bachelor parties and in the beginning we were a group of four (some were groups of five). A few weeks later one group member left us before the work even really started, so we were three people doing the work of 4 or 5. The last group members were me, my friend and a woman one semester below us. However, that woman kept ignoring deadlines, was super sloppy with her work or straight up didn't do it lmao, which resulted in a LOT of all nighters for the remaining two of us and severed nerves. Essentially the two of us did the work of 4-5 people, right.

So LAST NIGHT we got our grades for the project and it turns out that my friend and I are the only ones who passed with a grade worse than 2,3, everyone else was better. :) That means.... that even.... my shithead project partner.... who didn't do SHIT ..... whose work we constantly had to do FOR HER..... got a better grade..... lmao.......

I hate college

What the fuck. What. The. Fuck. Group project logic

In other news, I got the list of courses to choose from and lemme tell you that...I'm panicking. I don't want to go to college. Another school. Bad. Big bad.

She-Loves-Him

Numerous people have reminded me that, relative to my university undergrad and Master's, my 8-month college program will be a breeze and I'll be babied all the way through, the idea of the hands-on aspect of it is so unfamiliar I just have no idea how I'm gonna function through it. I know I'm just nervous as shit and it's all gonna be fine, but damn.

Libertine Angel

I'm actually repeating third year out of attendance because shockingly enough two months is not enough to learn an entire year and do a dissertation so I just submitted extenuating circumstances again, which got accepted today (which is just as well because I'm having to appeal the May one so if this was also rejected I'd have probably been deregistered).

Gotta say I'm not looking forward to all this damn work, I should never have done physics.

Emilie

This semester has been a nightmare. So much work, two separate group projects (one on rotavirus, one on quality of life in dementia). The rotavirus group I got assigned to is slack af so I've done basically the whole thing myself. We also had stats and physics this semester, both of which I hate. And I'm 3 weeks behind on lecture notes for some classes :lol: 

If I get accepted into my preferred minor then next year's workload will be a lot lighter. So hopefully that happens. Otherwise I'll have to drop some hours at work so I have more time to devote to study.

Göta

I'm about to start writing my second bachelor assignment lol, it's wicked how time flies. And scary! Can't even imagine life without studies. Just the thought of it is making me sad already.