Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Tumblr

• Please log in to reply
2634 replies to this topic

Castiel.

Castiel.
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Joined Oct 25, 2010
  • 218 rep

lol #sorrynotsorry

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,648 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,632 rep

I don't think I've ever been in the tags besides when I'm looking for a song that's already been posted, or something else specific that no-one I follow posts. The tags are usually filled with such crappy posts that I just stay away - following the blogs that post content you want is so much easier. Is that where the source of this hacking is then? All these 'hacking' epidemics or whatever come to tumblr periodically, but I'm never affected so I don't really know what to think.

I rarely use tags, too. My most common use for them is to download songs, and I'll browse the tags of an artist I just saw in concert to find pics and video from the show and I'll check the SNL-related tags on show night for dress rehearsal spoilers and bumpers for my SNL bumpers blog. If I'm bored I'll sometimes browse the tags for Toledo, but most of the content is for the beautiful Spanish city of Toledo, not this shitty place. :lol:

• Dirntbag likes this

Velocity

Velocity
  • The Diamond Church Street Choir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts
  • Joined Feb 28, 2007
  • 744 rep

I changed my theme for the first time in 3.5 years and messed around with it a lot and I'm real proud of how it turned out :3

http://www.burningdaylightandpetrol.tumblr.com 

• Dirntbag likes this

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,295 rep

Lately I've been feeling like tumblr as a whole is just awful, and I'm not really sure why I spend so much time on there. This whole DashCon fiasco has just emphasized to me how damaging this... tumblr mentality, if you will, is.

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • That's a smashing blouse you have on

• 13,468 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,113 rep
I don't know why people treat tumblr as one massive hive mind. Like, it's just a website. There's no "tumblr mentality" any more than there's a Facebook mentality or twitter mentality.

And I always find the same people who complain that all tumblr users have the same opinions are the users who spend the most time arguing with other blogs over their differing opinions :lol: you'd think with the way they hate tumblr so much they'd just...leave?

EDIT: and fae I'm not subtle-posting at you, there's just been a lot of people I follow lately doing/saying things like this
  • Dirntbag likes this

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,896 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 2,939 rep
The fuck is "dashcon"? :huh:

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,468 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,113 rep

A convention set up by people from tumblr, pretty much just superwholock panels and cosplay. But really badly organised. They couldn't pay the venue or the guests, so all the guests cancelled. About 1000 people, maybe less, showed up. And there's talk that the people who organised it scammed $17000 out of people by lying and saying that the hotel needed money from them

Just a big mess really

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• 7,896 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 2,939 rep

A convention set up by people from tumblr, pretty much just superwholock panels and cosplay. But really badly organised. They couldn't pay the venue or the guests, so all the guests cancelled. About 1000 people, maybe less, showed up. And there's talk that the people who organised it scammed $17000 out of people by lying and saying that the hotel needed money from them

Just a big mess really

Oh, I hadn't heard about that.That's just so fucked up...

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,714 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,295 rep

I don't know why people treat tumblr as one massive hive mind. Like, it's just a website. There's no "tumblr mentality" any more than there's a Facebook mentality or twitter mentality.

And I always find the same people who complain that all tumblr users have the same opinions are the users who spend the most time arguing with other blogs over their differing opinions :lol: you'd think with the way they hate tumblr so much they'd just...leave?

EDIT: and fae I'm not subtle-posting at you, there's just been a lot of people I follow lately doing/saying things like this

Yeah, I totally agree with you! I mean in no way am I trying to generalize - but this stereotypical "tumblr mentality" or whatever, does apply so some people on the site (and in general) - romanticizing mental illnesses and taking social justice to knew heights. It's so counterproductive to think that everyone on tumblr or on a particular site is of a specific mindset, though, because it's just like generalizing a group of people for something like race and it really doesn't help anybody.

The whole DashCon thing just worried me a little because not only was the con kind of questionable, the backlash from tumblr users was just sickening. These people tried to put on what appeared to be a nice con, whether that was a good idea or not, and people are just collectively making fun of them for what happened and it's awful. I'm probably reading too much in to this, but I think I might take a break from tumblr for a while.

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 17,648 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,632 rep

Enjoy the mess!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against people going to cons and having fun on Tumblr and I feel awful that this fell apart and that these people got taken advantage of, but man, Tumblr is just too big and broad of a social platform/network (not a site devoted to a specific topic) to be something worthy of going to a con for, imo. Some of the behavior going on there seems to just be far too much.

It's kind of made me go "What the fuck? Why am I wasting so much time on a site where this is the stereotype?" I mean, I'm not in the intense fandoms and while I may not let my fandoms control my emotions, I'm super fucking socially awkward and a homebody and I still reblog plenty of stupid shit, so I'm not really that much better than the people who are so into Tumblr that they would go to this. I should be more discerning in what I post, and maybe not post so much. Tumblr may not define my life, but it does control it rn =/

• Dirntbag likes this

Castiel.

Castiel.
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Joined Oct 25, 2010
  • 218 rep

Every website has rotten apples, even GDC has a lot of rotten apples. But you shouldn't judge EVERYONE on Tumblr because everyone isn't the same. I'm in the Supernatural fandom, and the people I know from the SPN fandom are amazing people both IRL and on the Internet, then there's those "crazy" fans who start all the drama and shit, those are the rotten apples. I have never heard of this stereotype thing, nor this "tumblr mentality" thing and I've been on Tumblr since 2010. There are stereotypes everywhere, you always have to act a certain way to make friends or to be popular. Tumblr has these "Tumblr famous" people, which is basically people with over 5 000 followers. It's just followers, it's nothing special. BUT.... followers are special to the fandom people because we are a family, we take care of each other. You know the hipsters on Tumblr? They don't give a shit about their followers, they just want to be popular and be better than everyone else. 

Tumblr isn't everything in my life, I do have other interests than Tumblr, GDC and Facebook, but yes Tumblr is a big part of my life because I've gotten a lot of help from Tumblr. But Tumblr doesn't control my life, it only controls my life when I'm emotionally stressed and fucked up because that's where I get all the help I need because people listen to me, unlike my family and people on other websites.

Eva

Eva
  • A Void That Thinks

• 6,015 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,273 rep
Uh yeah, but the thing about Dashcon or whatever is that it's incredibly sketchy and seems like a scam. If it was a convention for Tumblr user fan girl types and it was legitimate, then that'd be fine and cool, whatever. It's the fact that they probably scammed like, $17,000 and completely fucked up that's the problem.

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,119 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 987 rep
I thought dashcon was like a mlp convention or something lmao. Not even joking I rolled my eyes about 40 times reading the schedule for dashcon. It just sounded so cringey, fine if it floats your boat but really?? It catered to the superwholock stuff mostly and tumblr is much more than that, which is what bugs me.

I don't connect as much with people on tumblr as I have on other places, I've been there since about late 2010. I still have a miniscule amount of followers but idc. I'm not into any of the ~popular~ tumblr fandoms, might be why. I see tumblr as my own little bubble away from people irl to just vent or post stuff I like. Don't give two flying fucks if I'm popular or not.

Sometimes people can take the internet far too seriously (this is not aimed, just in general. Yes ironic because of my above post hahaha) so when that happens you should turn off your laptop and do something else.

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,468 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,113 rep
Yeah the problem with making a convention (even one that's run responsibly) that revolves around what's popular on tumblr is that it's going to be dominated by superwholock. That's what the majority of people running the con were interested in so that's what most of the con revolved around

missminority182

missminority182
  • it ends here tonight.

• 7,998 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 1,663 rep

wow. isn't that from the ballpit meme like thing? wow. sad.

Advertising

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,234 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 720 rep

Tbh I didn't even know about this :ninja: My relationship with Tumblr is 1) I post a few things 2) I leave. And well, 3) I sometimes creep on peoples' blogs. 

• Dirntbag likes this

Emilie.

Emilie.

• 13,468 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,113 rep

Tbh I didn't even know about this :ninja: My relationship with Tumblr is 1) I post a few things 2) I leave. And well, 3) I sometimes creep on peoples' blogs. 

Yeah I didn't even know about this convention until after it finished. And I only found out because Night Vale were supposed to be guests and I was in their tag

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 17,648 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,632 rep

I had heard about it maybe once before, but really had no idea what it was about or that it was actually a serious thing/this big. And I don't think I would have heard about it had it not become such a clusterfuck because I don't follow anyone who would post about it (or if I do, I blacklist it and I blacklist so much shit that I don't even notice anymore) :lol:

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,714 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,295 rep

I just saw a ton of people talking about it after the fact and decided to learn more about it. I just really wanted to establish if it was really something that tumblr was putting on (that would have been bad), but after a little research I found that it was independent thing with no ties to tumblr.

• missminority182 likes this

missminority182

missminority182
  • it ends here tonight.

• 7,998 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 1,663 rep

i only blog about Ev and Jase anymore it's not funny

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 17,648 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,632 rep

I just saw a ton of people talking about it after the fact and decided to learn more about it. I just really wanted to establish if it was really something that tumblr was putting on (that would have been bad), but after a little research I found that it was independent thing with no ties to tumblr.

I think it actually used to be called TumblrCon or something but Tumblr made them change the name because they wanted to make it clear they had nothing to do with it :lol:

• Dirntbag likes this

ifmemoryserves

ifmemoryserves
  • 23,990 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • 1,510 rep

I think it actually used to be called TumblrCon or something but Tumblr made them change the name because they wanted to make it clear they had nothing to do with it :lol:

yeah it used to be called "tumbl-con usa" which btw i find HILARIOUS on its own + the fact that tumblr didn't want to be associated with it is even better. i actually did a bit of ~reading about the whole thing and it was just a complete mess from the start.
  • Dirntbag likes this

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 17,648 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,632 rep

yeah it used to be called "tumbl-con usa" which btw i find HILARIOUS on its own + the fact that tumblr didn't want to be associated with it is even better. i actually did a bit of ~reading about the whole thing and it was just a complete mess from the start.

Right? It's basically how I spent my entire Sunday :lol:

abbieisnotamazing

abbieisnotamazing
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • Joined Jul 28, 2013
  • 206 rep

DashCon, I don't even know...

It's really sad that it went wrong though, because it was a good IDEA. If it was funded and organised better I think it would've gone down a storm. Except, like everyone has said, it would be dominated by superwholock. I don't have a problem with that, since I'm a rather obsessive fan of Sherlock and a bit more of a casual fan of DW (I don't watch SPN at all though), but all I post about, and my main fandoms on tumblr, is Youtube and Bands. So...

But yes, it obviously went really badly. I can't imagine how disappointed the con-goers were.

Kill_the_Kia

Kill_the_Kia
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2012
  • 745 rep
hey :) I'm new on Tumblr, if you want to follow me that's my blog
http://she191.tumblr.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users