Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
There are only a couple days left to send in your entries for the Kerplunk Cover Contest

We're implementing a new warning policy. Check it out here.

Photo

The School Thread

• Please log in to reply
1311 replies to this topic

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Product of War and Fear that We've Been Victimised

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,109 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 2,390 rep

Maths and biology. I had to do a revision because I'm taking a maths test tomorrow and I have 40 biology excercises with Mendelian (or not) crosses, genes etc. etc. 

I just want to go to bed :(

Good luck! I haven't done biology in many years, so I can't really help with that, but what maths is it?

Sauli

Sauli
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 2,769 rep
I have hard time trying to understand Nietzsche. I read one book of his and I'm confused.

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,614 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 1,104 rep

Good luck! I haven't done biology in many years, so I can't really help with that, but what maths is it?

Thank you! The excercises I had to do mainly focused on findind the roots of functions by using all the theorems I've learnt so far and then finding the first derivative to prove that the function is monotonous and that the root is unique etc. They had a few differences as to how you would aproach the excercise each time but they were all more or less the same, so I finished them a few hours ago. Thanks for offering to help though, that's very nice of you :happy:

On an irrelevant note, I wonder why they never taught us math terminology in English, writing this post was hard for me.

I have hard time trying to understand Nietzsche. I read one book of his and I'm confused.

Uh, me too. I read Thus Spake Zarathustra last year, didn't understand much and I read it again this year. I think that if I read it again when I'm a little older I'll fully understand the damn thing. 

• SaintJimmy13 likes this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

• 4,109 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 2,390 rep

Thank you! The excercises I had to do mainly focused on findind the roots of functions by using all the theorems I've learnt so far and then finding the first derivative to prove that the function is monotonous and that the root is unique etc. They had a few differences as to how you would aproach the excercise each time but they were all more or less the same, so I finished them a few hours ago. Thanks for offering to help though, that's very nice of you :happy:

On an irrelevant note, I wonder why they never taught us math terminology in English, writing this post was hard for me.

Yeah, I know the kind of thing you mean - they're all pretty much the same question, just with slightly different numbers.

And don't worry about the terminology, I'll probably be able to understand just from the maths of it.

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,614 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 1,104 rep

Yeah, I know the kind of thing you mean - they're all pretty much the same question, just with slightly different numbers.

And don't worry about the terminology, I'll probably be able to understand just from the maths of it.

Your new avatar is really cool by the way, DC comics are my favorite by far! I meant to say it in my previous post but I forgot it in a matter of seconds, my mental state has reached its nadir. 

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

• 4,109 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 2,390 rep

Your new avatar is really cool by the way, DC comics are my favorite by far! I meant to say it in my previous post but I forgot it in a matter of seconds, my mental state has reached its nadir. 

Thanks! I wasn't sure whether to go for the Joker or the Nephilim from DmC, but then I found that Joker with "Welcome to the Madhouse", which is just perfect for GDC.

Sauli

Sauli
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,705 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 2,769 rep

Uh, me too. I read Thus Spake Zarathustra last year, didn't understand much and I read it again this year. I think that if I read it again when I'm a little older I'll fully understand the damn thing.

Considering the circumstances and his later destiny I'd say it's doubtful that even Nietzsche himself fully understood it.
Also, I really like some of his thoughts but he seems fairly psychopathic sometimes. "Pity is a weakening emotion" "there's no good and evil, ojly good and bad and good is what gives an individual power and bad is what takes it away" etc. "Justice is the tool by which the weak enslaves the strong"
Sometimes he's sensible and talks about the value of an individual and then he may say things like those. First he says everyone's prejudiced and often unfairly so and that no judgement can be given and starts a sexist rant :mellow: . I'm merely confused. He's so inconsistent.

I like the God is dead-idea though.
  • Sofouska likes this

Sauli

Sauli
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,705 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 2,769 rep
Soo my Geography teacher told us to writenan essay for Monday. But he said absolutely naught about its length and therefore I'm lost. He only said it should be similar to those essays in exams but every teacher has their own conception of those and now I don't have any clue how I should proceed.

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

• 4,109 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 2,390 rep

Soo my Geography teacher told us to writenan essay for Monday. But he said absolutely naught about its length and therefore I'm lost. He only said it should be similar to those essays in exams but every teacher has their own conception of those and now I don't have any clue how I should proceed.

Hmm, that's a quandary. I'd suggest writing out everything you can on the subject, padding it out with standard line-filling crap if it looks sparse, but don't make it notably long, as 1) that's more effort and 2) the teacher can't complain about it either way because he hasn't given any guidance.

Demon!Dean

Demon!Dean
  • Hung like a Moose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,616 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 2,125 rep

what is your topic about, because I'd write 3-5 pages in case. 

Sauli

Sauli
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,705 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 2,769 rep

what is your topic about, because I'd write 3-5 pages in case.

It was on our solar system so it was quite an easy one. Wrote about three pages, hopefully it'll be enough (Could have written much more but consciously refrained from expanding it.
  • Demon!Dean and SaintJimmy13 like this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

• 4,109 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 2,390 rep

It was on our solar system so it was quite an easy one. Wrote about three pages, hopefully it'll be enough (Could have written much more but consciously refrained from expanding it.

What about the solar system?

Demon!Dean

Demon!Dean
  • Hung like a Moose

• 9,616 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 2,125 rep

that should be good, but definitely ask before it's due, because you really want to be sure and not lose any points. 

Sauli

Sauli
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,705 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 2,769 rep
I got full points so the essay went surprisingly well, in spite of it all.

Also, I succeeded at squeezing philosophy into my schedule and therefore can study it in the future as well. It makesmy days lengthy as hell but I believe it's worth it.
  • Dirntbag and SaintJimmy13 like this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

• 4,109 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 2,390 rep

I'm half an hour into my stats module and we haven't actually done anything new but I already hate it. I fucking hate stats. Why can't we pick the modules we can do? I could've done mechanics and complex numbers, but instead I have algorithm tracing and statistics.

Advertising

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• 8,445 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 3,253 rep
8 and a half weeks to write a dissertation :runaround:

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

• 4,109 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 2,390 rep

8 and a half weeks to write a dissertation :runaround:

What are you writing about?

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• 8,445 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 3,253 rep

What are you writing about?

How the role of women changed in Lenin/Stalin's Soviet Russia.
Apparently I've picked the topic there is the least resources on =/

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

• 4,109 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 2,390 rep

How the role of women changed in Lenin/Stalin's Soviet Russia.
Apparently I've picked the topic there is the least resources on =/

I have no knowledge about that, but my instinct is to say that it sounds interesting anyway because it's history and pretty much all history is interesting. Good luck!

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• 8,445 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 3,253 rep

I have no knowledge about that, but my instinct is to say that it sounds interesting anyway because it's history and pretty much all history is interesting. Good luck!

It is really interesting! And my history teachers said from the start it will be an interesting one to read, but it's so difficult to find any historical debate =/
Tbh, if I get it done at all I'll be over the moon :lol:

Sauli

Sauli
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,705 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 2,769 rep
I don't know whether I'm overreacting or not but basically in philosophy we always had to write our own thought/views etc on those things we were studying (likd metaphysics, ethics, etc.) and not only was it wonderful and probably the most interesting thing I've ever done, but now that my teacher read those, I got almost full points (especially she praised the one on my ideal of a good society and the one on metaphysics) the teacher is known for being really exacting amd strict and rarely gives better grades than 8.
She complimented my critical and original approach and my logic, and well, those were truly my thoughts and therefore mean much more than any more objective things. Additionally, I have a fairly good chance of getting an A in philosophy which is something quite unheard of. So yeah, I feel damn awesome.

Anyway, it's so refreshing that for once we are allowed to think by ourselves, and not just drowned in facts like in science. (I love science, don't get me wrong, but still.)
  • Dirntbag and SaintJimmy13 like this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

• 4,109 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 2,390 rep

I don't know whether I'm overreacting or not but basically in philosophy we always had to write our own thought/views etc on those things we were studying (likd metaphysics, ethics, etc.) and not only was it wonderful and probably the most interesting thing I've ever done, but now that my teacher read those, I got almost full points (especially she praised the one on my ideal of a good society and the one on metaphysics) the teacher is known for being really exacting amd strict and rarely gives better grades than 8.
She complimented my critical and original approach and my logic, and well, those were truly my thoughts and therefore mean much more than any more objective things. Additionally, I have a fairly good chance of getting an A in philosophy which is something quite unheard of. So yeah, I feel damn awesome.

Anyway, it's so refreshing that for once we are allowed to think by ourselves, and not just drowned in facts like in science. (I love science, don't get me wrong, but still.)

You're not overreacting, that is damn awesome. And yeah, it's always good when you're allowed to think for yourself instead of just conforming to a mark scheme.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users