Posted Image Trick or treat! We have a new Halloween theme. We also have two Halloween contests going on right now - enter with your pumpkin carvings here and your costumes here!

Photo

The School Thread

• Please log in to reply
1193 replies to this topic

#1171 Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • Location:Somewhere over the country with financial problems and not so smart politicians

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:19 PM

.... apparently Greek schools are the only schools in which the teachers are going to give you a bad grade if they disagree with what you're writing - no matter how well you've justified it.

Let me remind you how I got a 15/20 on a paper because I went on a feminist rant (that was well-written and justified  :mad: )

How about no - Croatian schools do that too.

I wrote a paper "Why can't humans live in peace?" and I said that you can do nothing about, we are just a filthy human reace, and I've got a C-.  :mad:

#1172 WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx

THE GAME IS BACK ON

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,206 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:59 PM

The exam board/ teachers here can't penalise you on opinion. Add long as it's justified. This is something my history teachers are constantly telling us because pupils seem reluctant to point out a key factor in History essays on fear they're wrong, but because history is so debated as long as you explain yourself the views of the marker aren't allowed to influence them.
  • SaintJimmy13 likes this

#1173 SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

Insomniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:00 PM

The exam board/ teachers here can't penalise you on opinion. Add long as it's justified. This is something my history teachers are constantly telling us because pupils seem reluctant to point out a key factor in History essays on fear they're wrong, but because history is so debated as long as you explain yourself the views of the marker aren't allowed to influence them.

That's how everything subjective should work, and it's why I don't think it's fair to be graded on art and creative writing, because that entirely depends on the taste of the examiner.

#1174 WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx

THE GAME IS BACK ON

• Members
  • 8,206 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:05 PM

That's how everything subjective should work, and it's why I don't think it's fair to be graded on art and creative writing, because that entirely depends on the taste of the examiner.

I can understand how they are marked though. Even if you don't like the subject matter you can see technique and stuff so I would assume they're graded that way (not that I'm creative enough to ever have such pieces examined :lol: )

#1175 Eva

Eva

Rebel Without a Car

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:37 PM

I'm in the top 1% at my school!!!!
  • Sofouska, Dirntbag, WhatserKinx and 1 other like this

#1176 SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

Insomniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

I'm in the top 1% at my school!!!!

That's pretty damn impressive.

#1177 Todd

Todd

Sweet and Sour Children

• Members
  • 13,070 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

The post office just screwed me out of NHS. Just received my letter today, informing me that I should confirm my nomination by last monday, and applications are due tomorrow and I don't have a fucking application cause I never confirmed my nomination. The envelope was dated the 15th, and I just got it today. Thanks a whole fucking lot USPS

#1178 SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

Insomniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

The post office just screwed me out of NHS. Just received my letter today, informing me that I should confirm my nomination by last monday, and applications are due tomorrow and I don't have a fucking application cause I never confirmed my nomination. The envelope was dated the 15th, and I just got it today. Thanks a whole fucking lot USPS

I'm not sure what NHS that is, but this is an example of why a privatised postal service is a bad idea. Thanks, Cameron.

#1179 Todd

Todd

Sweet and Sour Children

• Members
  • 13,070 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:46 PM

I'm not sure what NHS that is, but this is an example of why a privatised postal service is a bad idea. Thanks, Cameron.

National Honor Society, it would look great on my records

#1180 SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

Insomniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:50 PM

National Honor Society, it would look great on my records

Right, OK. Yeah, looking it up, that would look good. Sucks that you missed out.

#1181 Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • Location:Somewhere over the country with financial problems and not so smart politicians

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

Just had a Math test, and got an A. So damn amazing feeling, considering I get B's and C's mostly from Math.

#1182 SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

Insomniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:43 PM

Just had a Math test, and got an A. So damn amazing feeling, considering I get B's and C's mostly from Math.

Nice. What kind of stuff was in it?

#1183 Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:22 AM

Nice. What kind of stuff was in it?

Exponentiation. It went so well. 

I solved 11 pages of it actually, so you see the reason there! xD

#1184 SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

Insomniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

Exponentiation. It went so well. 

I solved 11 pages of it actually, so you see the reason there! xD

Have you done stuff with e yet? That's to do with exponents, and it's a fascinating number.

#1185 Sofouska

Sofouska

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,361 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

I am the only one that got a 100% in the biology test!

I told my math teacher (that I think of as a friend) about it, and how this other girl got 79% and he told me that being competitive is petty. That made me really sad, I know that being generally good is what matters but what's the use if being "generally good" doesn't get me into university? I want to be one of the best students, and competition can't be avoided.

Nah, I always thought of my math teacher as a good friend that'll cheer with me? And that I needn't pretend I'm 'better than that' and that I can speak my mind, but I guess I have to pretend I'm 'superior' and not competitive at all and that it just happens that I get good marks. 

:(

Advertising

#1186 Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Have you done stuff with e yet? That's to do with exponents, and it's a fascinating number.

Nope, still haven't done that. Probably later, teacher said there's a lot of stuff incoming.

#1187 SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

Insomniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014

Posted 29 October 2014 - 02:21 PM

Nope, still haven't done that. Probably later, teacher said there's a lot of stuff incoming.

It's a great number. It's its own derivative, which I think is hugely interesting.

I told my math teacher (that I think of as a friend) about it, and how this other girl got 79% and he told me that being competitive is petty. That made me really sad, I know that being generally good is what matters but what's the use if being "generally good" doesn't get me into university? I want to be one of the best students, and competition can't be avoided.

Nah, I always thought of my math teacher as a good friend that'll cheer with me? And that I needn't pretend I'm 'better than that' and that I can speak my mind, but I guess I have to pretend I'm 'superior' and not competitive at all and that it just happens that I get good marks. 

Congratulations!

Just because your teacher says being competitive is wrong, doesn't mean you have to stop - I was always hugely competitive, despite people saying I shouldn't be. You don't need to change or bend to the norm just because it's expected of you.

#1188 Sofouska

Sofouska

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,361 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:05 PM

Congratulations!

Just because your teacher says being competitive is wrong, doesn't mean you have to stop - I was always hugely competitive, despite people saying I shouldn't be. You don't need to change or bend to the norm just because it's expected of you.

Thank you, friend :hug: Tbh being a little competitive is the only thing that has 'pushed' me to go further, not that I'd be a bad student otherwise, it just forces me to try a little harder sometimes.

#1189 SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13

Insomniac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:09 PM

Thank you, friend :hug: Tbh being a little competitive is the only thing that has 'pushed' me to go further, not that I'd be a bad student otherwise, it just forces me to try a little harder sometimes.

Me and my friends were always hugely competitive, especially in maths and the sciences, and I'm sure it helped us all - it gave us all a benchmark to work with and to measure ourselves against, and one that's constantly moving and changing around so as not to let us rest on our laurels.

#1190 Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012

Posted 29 October 2014 - 03:19 PM

I get the feeling. Actually, in my school teachers bring me down often.

But you are superior, and you should stay like that, don't let some jealousy beeyotch or something get you down.

#1191 Sofouska

Sofouska

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,361 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

I get the feeling. Actually, in my school teachers bring me down often.

But you are superior, and you should stay like that, don't let some jealousy beeyotch or something get you down.

Thanks! :happy: 

• Bastard of 1969 likes this

#1192 Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:03 PM

Thanks! :happy:

No problem!  :happy:

Actually, teacher cancelled my play for school, gave me F just because I turned around and asked for exercise...y'know, they don't like me.

#1193 Sofouska

Sofouska

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,361 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010

Posted Yesterday, 02:07 PM

No problem!  :happy:

Actually, teacher cancelled my play for school, gave me F just because I turned around and asked for exercise...y'know, they don't like me.

Ugh, they don't like me either :dry: Jesus, why do teachers hate people who speak their mind.

#1194 Bastard of 1969

Bastard of 1969

Dominated Love Slave

• Members
  • 2,397 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012

Posted Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Ugh, they don't like me either :dry: Jesus, why do teachers hate people who speak their mind.

Because, system, system and system uber alles.

Suli Barnes is actually a great speaker about those problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com