Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

The School Thread

• Please log in to reply
1160 replies to this topic

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 718 rep

wow your school sucks 

They knocked most of it down a couple of years after I started, but it'd been around for ages before that - the new building wasn't much better. A friend of mine tried to open a window and the handle came off, and you could punch holes in the wall.

• Demon!Dean likes this

Demon!Dean

Demon!Dean
  • RIP DEMON DEAN. '78-14.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,704 posts
  • Joined Dec 06, 2011
  • 1,863 rep

They knocked most of it down a couple of years after I started, but it'd been around for ages before that - the new building wasn't much better. A friend of mine tried to open a window and the handle came off, and you could punch holes in the wall.

omg. how poor is your school and your area?  this might be b/c of lack of funding and/or half assed construction and maintenance. 

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 718 rep

omg. how poor is your school and your area?  this might be b/c of lack of funding and/or half assed construction and maintenance. 

The school was always a shithole, but then it got made an academy (taken over by a private organisation) by this charity called Oasis (religious group that stuck a modern translation of the Lord's Prayer in every room), who promised they'd make everything better. They were the ones who put the money into rebuilding the school, and it was barely less shit after. Oh, and they put cameras everywhere.

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• 8,189 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 3,105 rep

Yeah you're probably right :( I just feel really unpopular now.

This might cheer you up: I'm the only unelected member of the student council... If there's anything worse than not being picked it's being on a team of people who were picked knowing you weren't...

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 788 rep

This might cheer you up: I'm the only unelected member of the student council... If there's anything worse than not being picked it's being on a team of people who were picked knowing you weren't...

I can relate to that too, it happened to me last year =/ We should both stop caring about this, I was bummed out all day and it's not worth it.

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Unsuspicious Individual

• 3,069 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,862 rep

I wanted to see how many people would vote for me if I tried getting into the student council and then this whole "last year of schoool, you should try this at least one time" got to me and now I regret it because I didn't make it into the council :( If I got a decent number of votes then it's okay, but if no one voted for me then it just means that I'm really fucking unpopular and a school joke ("... she isn't even popular what was she thinking?" etc)

Whatever I wanna go crawl into a hole now.

Hey at least you tried! And tbh I couldn't think of a cooler person to be on the student council, so apparently people just have really bad taste. I don't think people will think of you as a joke; you just tried and it didn't work out, there's nothing wrong with that, and if anyone does think that's dumb/ embarrassing or whatever, then they need a slap in the face and an introduction to the real world!! :hug:

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,334 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 788 rep

Hey at least you tried! And tbh I couldn't think of a cooler person to be on the student council, so apparently people just have really bad taste. I don't think people will think of you as a joke; you just tried and it didn't work out, there's nothing wrong with that, and if anyone does think that's dumb/ embarrassing or whatever, then they need a slap in the face and an introduction to the real world!! :hug:

Thank you Fae, you're very kind! :hug: I got over this kind of fast, I realized I got more serious problems (final exams, getting into university etc.), plus my friends were disappointed to see I didn't make it so it's all good, I guess.

How has school been for everyone these days? Personally, I took a pretty hard math test that's left me with post-traumatic stress, Jesus, all the kids that were taking the test with me were crying and my teacher was handing out tissues.

• Dirntbag likes this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 718 rep

Thank you Fae, you're very kind! :hug: I got over this kind of fast, I realized I got more serious problems (final exams, getting into university etc.), plus my friends were disappointed to see I didn't make it so it's all good, I guess.

How has school been for everyone these days? Personally, I took a pretty hard math test that's left me with post-traumatic stress, Jesus, all the kids that were taking the test with me were crying and my teacher was handing out tissues.

What kind of stuff was in the test? That sounds fun. Yes, I like hard maths.

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,334 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 788 rep

What kind of stuff was in the test? That sounds fun. Yes, I like hard maths.

Complex numbers. Imho 75% of the test was easy, that 25% just required some thinking that I wasn't capable of, since I felt like vomiting and peeing in my pants (if you get too anxious about tests clap your hands!). If you consider that most kids don't study math that much, the entire test seemed impossible to them.

What sucks is that as soon as I got home I was calm enough to solve everything. Meh. I'm estimating I'll take 85-90%.

I'm sorry if I whine too much, it's just that we're taking final exams to get into university this year and everything is so hard, there's hardly enough time to do anything else other than study, and there's a lot of competition, and I just want to be the best but I'm so tired already, I want to tie a stone around my neck and jump in the bloody ocean.

• SaintJimmy13 likes this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 718 rep

Complex numbers. Imho 75% of the test was easy, that 25% just required some thinking that I wasn't capable of, since I felt like vomiting and peeing in my pants (if you get too anxious about tests clap your hands!). If you consider that most kids don't study math that much, the entire test seemed impossible to them.

What sucks is that as soon as I got home I was calm enough to solve everything. Meh. I'm estimating I'll take 85-90%.

I'm sorry if I whine too much, it's just that we're taking final exams to get into university this year and everything is so hard, there's hardly enough time to do anything else other than study, and there's a lot of competition, and I just want to be the best but I'm so tired already, I want to tie a stone around my neck and jump in the bloody ocean.

I wish I studied complex numbers in my maths course, but it's only in Further Maths, and my college doesn't do that. They sound really interesting.

Dirntbag

Dirntbag

• 3,069 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,862 rep

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry about that maths test. Surprisingly, I don't get anxious during a test, but lots of the time I get anxious before it because everyone else is stressing out. I wish tests weren't presented as more important than any other assignment, or all assignments were as important as tests, then I wouldn't get so freaked out!

School isn't awful. We're taking things slow at the moment, I still have no idea what I want to do at university, but I'm going to spend the year with the threat of not getting in to a good one hang over my head :) :) :) Mostly it's ok since everyone's in it together and our class seems to be getting a bit closer now.

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,334 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 788 rep

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry about that maths test. Surprisingly, I don't get anxious during a test, but lots of the time I get anxious before it because everyone else is stressing out. I wish tests weren't presented as more important than any other assignment, or all assignments were as important as tests, then I wouldn't get so freaked out!

School isn't awful. We're taking things slow at the moment, I still have no idea what I want to do at university, but I'm going to spend the year with the threat of not getting in to a good one hang over my head :) :) :) Mostly it's ok since everyone's in it together and our class seems to be getting a bit closer now.

I think you're going to do great, you're clever, you're obviously hard-working, I don't see what could possibly go wrong! Not knowing what you want to do is okay, the only thing that matters is trying hard enough so that you have more options. It's also really good that you have a nice environment in your class, we have way too much competition and everyone ends up crying at the end of the day because they didn't do as well as someone else. It's sad, school is supposed to be a place students love!

• Dirntbag likes this

Dirntbag

Dirntbag

• 3,069 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,862 rep

I think you're going to do great, you're clever, you're obviously hard-working, I don't see what could possibly go wrong! Not knowing what you want to do is okay, the only thing that matters is trying hard enough so that you have more options. It's also really good that you have a nice environment in your class, we have way too much competition and everyone ends up crying at the end of the day because they didn't do as well as someone else. It's sad, school is supposed to be a place students love!

Thanks Sofia! :hug: It's like, so many people in my class know exactly what the want to do, it's crazy! And kinda intimidating. And then in college prep we're meant to research universities and programs we want to go in to.... and I really have no idea :lol: That's a shame that school's become that for your class, it must be a really stressful environment to operate within. I really wish studies on schools that work and schools that don't would be done and they'd implement some kind of program to not let people care so little they slack off, but not care so much they break down if they didn't get top marks. I think most schools nowadays are conditioning students to be more on the latter part of that spectrum, and it's sad :(

• Sofouska and SaintJimmy13 like this

Sauli

Sauli
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 1,276 rep
Shool is going pretty well at the moment :) Even though I'd never have believed I'm saying this, but right now I am on the verge of disliking literature. We are supposed to read one book (and it is an incredibly awful one; maybe the most stereotypical youth roman ever written) and then do analysis of it in groups .

And my group isn't awful per se, I get along with them fine, but for Christ's Sake, they're all boys and haven't read a single book willingly for years, and so they a) expect me to do all the work and b) can't actually do any kind of analysis at all. Or they could, if they wanted to. And I know this sounds like useless bitching but it's damn frustrating.

And if I don't do all the work, then the result will be nearly non-existent and it would make my grade fall like nothing else. And I just gotta get the top grade since literature is probably my best subject :( after English, maybe.

Each group chose its book and on the list from which we chose there were many amazing books with more substance but they picked this one because its the shortest one for Christ's sake. /Rant
  • SaintJimmy13 likes this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 718 rep

Shool is going pretty well at the moment :) Even though I'd never have believed I'm saying this, but right now I am on the verge of disliking literature. We are supposed to read one book (and it is an incredibly awful one; maybe the most stereotypical youth roman ever written) and then do analysis of it in groups .

And my group isn't awful per se, I get along with them fine, but for Christ's Sake, they're all boys and haven't read a single book willingly for years, and so they a) expect me to do all the work and b) can't actually do any kind of analysis at all. Or they could, if they wanted to. And I know this sounds like useless bitching but it's damn frustrating.

And if I don't do all the work, then the result will be nearly non-existent and it would make my grade fall like nothing else. And I just gotta get the top grade since literature is probably my best subject :( after English, maybe.

Each group chose its book and on the list from which we chose there were many amazing books with more substance but they picked this one because its the shortest one for Christ's sake. /Rant

That's the problem with trying to teach people to read and properly understand books - if you make it seem like work, they'll automatically dislike it, and then having to work around them will make you dislike what you previously enjoyed. It doesn't help that the book you're doing is shit, but it probably wouldn't be much better otherwise - I studied various Shakespeare stuff and Of Mice And Men (all great pieces of writing), but it was marred by the lack of enthusiasm from anyone except me, as that immediately sucked any interest out of the class.

• Dirntbag likes this

Advertising

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,334 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 788 rep

Ohh I'm sorry Sauli! =/ Most teenage boys have read as many books as my 6 year old cousin has and it's infuriating how they still pretend they know everything and want to have a say over anything. I despise group projects, I always do them on my own and never take any credit for all the work. That's why I specifically asked to do a project on my own, during my last year at school, I desrerve it. 

I chose the project's topic too, "special effects in horror/monster movies" :woot:

Other than that, I'm still really worried and anxious about school. I'm one bad mark away from a nervous breakdown, I swear.

• Sauli likes this

Sauli

Sauli
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 1,276 rep

:

Other than that, I'm still really worried and anxious about school. I'm one bad mark away from a nervous breakdown, I swear.

:hug: I'm sorry to hear that. It's sad that the atmosphere at your school has got that competitive and all. :(

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,334 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 788 rep

:hug: I'm sorry to hear that. It's sad that the atmosphere at your school has got that competitive and all. :(

It's not anyone's fault, every university in the country accepts about 60-100 students each year, so every student is fighting to the death to get in the university of their choice, in a specific city. That's why there's a lot of competition, I could get an 18,8/20 and not pass, because someone else got an 18,9 and therefore 'took my place' in medical school. *sigh*

Dirntbag

Dirntbag

• 3,069 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,862 rep

Ughhh I can really identify with being astounded by how many people don't appreciate literature. I think the trend is mostly dying out now, but some people laugh about the fact that they rarely read, and think books are dumb or whatever. I think a large part of that mindset is they way schools present literature. In English you'll read a book and then not even get to enjoy the surface of it before your teacher dissects every little piece of it, and it's a necessary part of the course, yeah, but as others have mentioned, it often makes teachers present the book as work rather than something to enjoy.

And, a note on group projects: no. 

• Sauli and SaintJimmy13 like this

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• 8,189 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 3,105 rep
I wish I had more time to read fiction :( I'm up to my neck in Russian history books because of this bloody dissertation that I hardly have time to read anymore :( ... (not that I dislike reading non-fiction)

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,526 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,638 rep

Ughhh I can really identify with being astounded by how many people don't appreciate literature. I think the trend is mostly dying out now, but some people laugh about the fact that they rarely read, and think books are dumb or whatever. I think a large part of that mindset is they way schools present literature. In English you'll read a book and then not even get to enjoy the surface of it before your teacher dissects every little piece of it, and it's a necessary part of the course, yeah, but as others have mentioned, it often makes teachers present the book as work rather than something to enjoy.

And, a note on group projects: no. 

It's like that meme about the blue curtains, what your English teacher says it means and then what the author means: THE CURTAINS WERE FUCKING BLUE

• Dirntbag and Sauli like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users