Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The School Thread

• Please log in to reply
1125 replies to this topic

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 905 rep

My mother is shouting at me because apparently I study math more than chemistry and it should be the other way round :ninja: So basically, I study math in secret now. 

What the heck? Forgive me but that sounds pretty strange tbh. Can I inquire, what according to her is wrong with studying maths? Weird.

I'm in the middle of exams atm. One completed, three left. At least I think the Swedish exam went rather well.
Plus I may fail my art course which is completely irrational.
  • SaintJimmy13 likes this

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 754 rep

What the heck? Forgive me but that sounds pretty strange tbh. Can I inquire, what according to her is wrong with studying maths? Weird.

I'm in the middle of exams atm. One completed, three left. At least I think the Swedish exam went rather well.
Plus I may fail my art course which is completely irrational.

I'm in the Chemistry/Biology field, therefore those two classes count the most, because when I take my final exams, the grade on my chemistry or biology test will be multiplied by 1.7. This doesn't happen in maths. As a result, if I don't do well in math my average score will drop a little, but if I don't do well in either chemistry or biology my average score will drop a reeaal lot

It's just that chemistry is easier and I can finish my homework under an hour while math takes more time. Plus, we're learning about atomic orbitals in chemistry and it's so boring, God. Limits and derivatives are so nice and easy, they practically make my brain relax. It's a shame I can only get to medical school or the biochemistry uni through this field.

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 394 rep

I'm in the Chemistry/Biology field, therefore those two classes count the most, because when I take my final exams, the grade on my chemistry or biology test will be multiplied by 1.7. This doesn't happen in maths. As a result, if I don't do well in math my average score will drop a little, but if I don't do well in either chemistry or biology my average score will drop a reeaal lot

It's just that chemistry is easier and I can finish my homework under an hour while math takes more time. Plus, we're learning about atomic orbitals in chemistry and it's so boring, God. Limits and derivatives are so nice and easy, they practically make my brain relax. It's a shame I can only get to medical school or the biochemistry uni through this field.

I did orbitals last week - they're fun for about an hour, and then they're not. Differentiation/integration (I think that's what you're talking about for maths?) are fun because they're easy.

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,291 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 754 rep

I did orbitals last week - they're fun for about an hour, and then they're not. Differentiation/integration (I think that's what you're talking about for maths?) are fun because they're easy.

Exactly :lol:

And yeah, that's what I'm talking about (had to Google it; I don't know any math terms in English omg)

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 905 rep
The exams are finally over and on Thursday we have only two hours of school and on Friday we have no school at all :lol:

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 394 rep

The exams are finally over and on Thursday we have only two hours of school and on Friday we have no school at all :lol:

Congrats! How did they go?

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 905 rep

Congrats! How did they go?

Fine, as far as I know. But really often when I think it didn't went well it does and vice versa.

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 394 rep

Fine, as far as I know. But really often when I think it didn't went well it does and vice versa.

I'm the same - if I'm ultra-confident, I've probably missed something, and if I don't think I've done well, I've probably at least passed. Generally I've found that my best results came from exams I thought I hadn't done brilliantly, but didn't completely fail.

• Sauli likes this

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 905 rep

I'm the same - if I'm ultra-confident, I've probably missed something, and if I don't think I've done well, I've probably at least passed. Generally I've found that my best results came from exams I thought I hadn't done brilliantly, but didn't completely fail.

Exactly. Luckily school doesn't give that much stress I know that even if I don't do very well, I'm still at least average and I won't fail. But of course I should have studied more, especially when it comes to history I have nearly always got top grade without actually doing anything for it, same goes for literature and English. Of course one could argue that I have, but not at school, but in my spare time since I read a lot, and I love history but you get my drift
On the other hand, physics and maths require some work but luckily they are pretty interesting subjects, so I don't mind :happy: honestly I quite like school anyway.

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 394 rep

Exactly. Luckily school doesn't give that much stress I know that even if I don't do very well, I'm still at least average and I won't fail. But of course I should have studied more, especially when it comes to history I have nearly always got top grade without actually doing anything for it, same goes for literature and English. Of course one could argue that I have, but not at school, but in my spare time since I read a lot, and I love history but you get my drift
On the other hand, physics and maths require some work but luckily they are pretty interesting subjects, so I don't mind :happy: honestly I quite like school anyway.

It always helps when you're really interested in the subject - I revised History more than anything else (and got top grade, so it shows), simply because I wanted to read it. I only got a B in Biology and Chemistry simply because the last modules weren't as interesting.

• Sauli likes this

Dirntbag

Dirntbag
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,940 posts
  • Joined Jan 15, 2012
  • 2,649 rep

Spoiler

• Todd and SaintJimmy13 like this

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,838 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,762 rep
Can anyone help with my trig homework real quick? What should I do if my inequality is 5x<5x+12 ? If I subtract 5x from both sides, then x is gone and I can't find x. I took algebra two years ago, so I don't really remember

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 905 rep

Can anyone help with my trig homework real quick? What should I do if my inequality is 5x<5x+12 ? If I subtract 5x from both sides, then x is gone and I can't find x. I took algebra two years ago, so I don't really remember

Doesn't it mean that x could be any number? Like, doesn't it say that 5x+12 is more than 5x and no matter what the X is, it is true, isn't it?
Then again, I'm not good at maths and we have never even had inequality :lol: but thats just a guess.

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,838 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,762 rep

Doesn't it mean that x could be any number? Like, doesn't it say that 5x+12 is more than 5x and no matter what the X is, it is true, isn't it?
Then again, I'm not good at maths and we have never even had inequality :lol: but thats just a guess.

I guess, I'll ask my teacher

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,291 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 754 rep

Spoiler

Don't feel bad, things like this happen even to the best students; you should just look at this as an experience and think 'this will never happen again, I will never let it happen again'.

Or eternally hate English and just don't care about it :lol: That's an option, too.

• Dirntbag likes this

Advertising

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 905 rep
I never thought I'd have any difficulties at English, but now, this is ridiculous. Whilst translating a text I found that I can understand perfectly well that text in English, but since apparently I think in English when I read it, I find it incredibly hard to translate it into Finnish :lol:
I can't find the words that would correspond with those English words - and Finnish is my bloody native tongue. On the other hand it is great that I use English so naturally nowadays, but what the heck still.

I don't know if any of you can even understand what I mean, but it feels so weird.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users