Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The School Thread

• Please log in to reply
1106 replies to this topic

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 292 rep

Here the problem is one certain populist party which is getting more and more famous. Even their name True Finns, tells enough about them. Not only are they rasistic, they are against pretty much everything and for example keep on promising how they would demote taxes and people usually do not think about the big picture, I only about themselves, so...

If they win the elections next spring then lord only knows what will happen. Politicians are idiots :P

The big parties over here aren't quite as extreme (though UKIP support is increasing at an alarming rate), but they're all right-wing, even Labour (big "fuck you" to Tony Blair for killing left-wing politics). Last election was a hung parliament, so the Conservatives (right-wing bastards) made a coalition with the Liberal Democrats (said they were centre-left, became Conservative whipping-boys without a spine, morals or relevance. Fucking traitors), and things have gone from shit to a different colour of shit. Ed Miliband, current Labour leader, is actually acceptably left-wing, it's just that he can't speak convincingly (the massive lisp doesn't help, and he looks like Wallace from Wallace and Gromit) and he'll do whatever his PR people tell him to.

• Sauli likes this

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 726 rep

The big parties over here aren't quite as extreme (though UKIP support is increasing at an alarming rate), but they're all right-wing, even Labour (big "fuck you" to Tony Blair for killing left-wing politics). Last election was a hung parliament, so the Conservatives (right-wing bastards) made a coalition with the Liberal Democrats (said they were centre-left, became Conservative whipping-boys without a spine, morals or relevance. Fucking traitors), and things have gone from shit to a different colour of shit. Ed Miliband, current Labour leader, is actually acceptably left-wing, it's just that he can't speak convincingly (the massive lisp doesn't help, and he looks like Wallace from Wallace and Gromit) and he'll do whatever his PR people tell him to.

We have both the right wing and the left wing in the government :lol: And one really cannot distinguish them. Our current government had to be a compromise so basically there is pretty much everyone in it expect the aforementioned True Finns and the Centre party.
But it must be that way since we have four parties who all have 20 percent support and there must be either three big parties or two big parties and all the small parties in government in order to have majority. Obviously that means that pretty much every government is invalid since they really can't agree on anything.
  • SaintJimmy13 likes this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 292 rep

We have both the right wing and the left wing in the government :lol: And one really cannot distinguish them. Our current government had to be a compromise so basically there is pretty much everyone in it expect the aforementioned True Finns and the Centre party.
But it must be that way since we have four parties who all have 20 percent support and there must be either three big parties or two big parties and all the small parties in government in order to have majority. Obviously that means that pretty much every government is invalid since they really can't agree on anything.

I wish we had proportional representation over here - instead, you need 328 seats in Parliament to form a government (half the number of constituencies+1), and the MPs are elected by getting the most votes, even if it's only a small amount of the total, so even if most of your constituency doesn't want you, but they all vote for different parties, you still get the seat. It's outdated and unfair.

Oxymore

Oxymore
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,641 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2013
  • 2,534 rep

I don't have much to offer since I'm just a stranger on the internet, but I really hope things get better for you soon.

Rant as much as you want on here, someone's always there to listen. :hug:

Oh you're all so kind here  :happy: :hug:

Castiel.

Castiel.
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Joined Oct 25, 2010
  • 239 rep

I didn't get accepted to Uni :(

Wells

Wells
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • Joined Jan 05, 2011
  • 472 rep

I didn't get accepted to Uni :(

Aw, noo, I'm so sorry :hug:

Castiel.

Castiel.
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Joined Oct 25, 2010
  • 239 rep

Aw, noo, I'm so sorry :hug:

It really fucking sucks. But hey, now I can apply to courses in Spring 2015.

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 726 rep
We watched a Swedish film at school and I think I understood the plot pretty well. Of course there were subtitles too, in Swedish though, but still. I thought I was kinda awful in Swedish but maybe I'm not that bad.
It is pretty great feeling to realise that you actually understand a foreign language :happy:
I still remember the sensation of realising that I'm able to understand English and this is kinda the same.
  • Wells and SaintJimmy13 like this

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,081 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 3,062 rep
Found out today that I'm getting an award for getting the second best results in the school for last (school) year's business management exam :D
  • Wells, Dirntbag, Sauli and 1 other like this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 292 rep

Found out today that I'm getting an award for getting the second best results in the school for last (school) year's business management exam :D

Congrats!

• WhatserKinx likes this

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 726 rep

That's awesome :) . Congratulations!
  • WhatserKinx likes this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 292 rep

I can't remember how to work out inverse functions where x is a denominator - anyone know what I'm talking about?

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,706 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,234 rep

I can't remember how to work out inverse functions where x is a denominator - anyone know what I'm talking about?

you mean x = 4y + 3 or?

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 292 rep

you mean x = 4y + 3 or?

I mean f(x)=17/x2+2 (or something like that - a fraction with x below) and I need to find f-1(x).

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,706 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,234 rep

I mean f(x)=17/x2+2 (or something like that - a fraction with x below) and I need to find f-1(x).

oh god this is so long ago

anything with -1 is automatically 1/that so x-1 is 1/x and x-2 is 1/x2

so yeah i hope that helps its been ages since i did this and i also learnt it in dutch so i have no idea what algebra terms are in english

Advertising

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,281 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 750 rep

Crap I don't know any math terms in english :runaround:

Find the domain of the function (in this case it's R) and Df= f -1 (A) (range of the f-1 function). Also, f(A)=Df-1. Then you say that 17/x2+2 = y and you solve this till you have something like x=..... and this is f -1(x)

It's important to know  the range of the f(x) function to calculate the domain of the f-1 (x) function.

(Edit: I TOTALLY USED GOOGLE TRANSLATE TO USE THOSE TERMS, I love it when they say that algebra is an international 'language' yeah sure)

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 292 rep

OK, thanks, I think I've got it now. That one would give f-1(x)=sqrt.(17-2x)/x.

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,281 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 750 rep

OK, thanks, I think I've got it now. That one would give f-1(x)=sqrt.(17-2x)/x.

Let me know if I'm correct :ninja: I almost forgot: only 1-1 functions can be inversed (x1=x<=> f(x1)=f(x2) or the solution you come up with when you solve y=f(x)<=> x=... must be unique). If you found more than one solutions then the function isn't 1-1 and can't be inversed.

x2 in the denominator is what bothers me, it probably gives more than one solution, right? (+/-)

Edit: SHIT, I just typed this function in GeoGebra, it definitely isn't 1-1. I don't think it can be inversed. Anyway, consult your mathematician too, I learned this stuff 2 months ago and yeah :lol:

Spoiler

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 292 rep

Let me know if I'm correct :ninja: I almost forgot: only 1-1 functions can be inversed (x1=x<=> f(x1)=f(x2) or the solution you come up with when you solve y=f(x)<=> x=... must be unique). If you found more than one solutions then the function isn't 1-1 and can't be inversed.

x2 in the denominator is what bothers me, it probably gives more than one solution, right? (+/-)

Edit: SHIT, I just typed this function in GeoGebra, it definitely isn't 1-1. I don't think it can be inversed. Anyway, consult your mathematician too, I learned this stuff 2 months ago and yeah :lol:

Spoiler

I've got maths for 2 hours on Monday morning, I'll ask my teacher then.

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 726 rep
I have the first exams soon .the 6/75 of my compulsory courses will be completed then (If I pass every subject, that is :lol: ) On Friday Swedish, on Monday maths, on Tuesday physics and on Wednesday history.
It is kinda light as far as exam weeks go and the subjects are kinda easy (especially physics and history) but still, its my first exam week at high school so obviously it is even pretty important to me to succeed.

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 292 rep

I have the first exams soon .the 6/75 of my compulsory courses will be completed then (If I pass every subject, that is :lol: ) On Friday Swedish, on Monday maths, on Tuesday physics and on Wednesday history.
It is kinda light as far as exam weeks go and the subjects are kinda easy (especially physics and history) but still, its my first exam week at high school so obviously it is even pretty important to me to succeed.

Good luck! I've probably asked this before, but what maths, physics and history are you studying?

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 726 rep

Good luck! I've probably asked this before, but what maths, physics and history are you studying?

They are often ridiculously easy, since they are the basic courses and for example the physics course is the only compulsory one which everyone must take, so it is mainly about Newton's laws and basic mechanics, plus the basics of radiation and energy. It is kinda frustrating actually, we only touch the surface but never get any deeper.
Its a bit same with maths, square roots, and roots in general, proportionality and all kinds of exponentiality, also equations. Fairly easy, at least I think so. Nothing new, actually.

Then, history, my favourite subject and the one I'm really good at, our course was about nothing less than the whole world history. The first course of history handles the world history from an economical and infrastructural viewpoint, and also concentrates more on lives of average human beings whilst the second course is about the world history from a political and cultural viewpoint.

So basically we have been trough the whole known world history but for example WWII was mentioned only once. But for example different economical systems and how trades have changed trough the ages are what we have mostly concentrated on.

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 292 rep

They are ridiculously easy, since they are the basic courses and for example the physics course is the only compulsory one which everyone must take, so it is mainly about Newton's laws and basic mechanics, plus the bacisc of radiation and energy. It is kinda frustrating actually, we only touch the surface but never get any deeper.
Its a bit same with maths, square roots, and roots in general, proportionality and all kinds of exponentiality, also equations. Fairly easy, at least I think so. Nothing new, actually.

Then, history, my favourite subject and the one I'm really good at, our course was about nothing less than the whole world history. The first course of history handles the world history from an economical and infrastructurecal viewpoint, and also concentrates more on lives of average human beings whilst the second course is about the world history from a political and cultural viewpoint.

So basically we have been trough the whole known world history but for example WWII was mentioned only once. But for example different economical systems and and how trades have changed trough the ages are what we have mostly concentrated on.

I always thought Newton was pretty dull, but I just started looking at his Law of Gravitation and Kepler's Third Law, and it's much better than just motion. The history sounds really good though - up until it's made an optional subject we just do the main bits of English history (Feudalism, Tudors Civil War, Victorian era), then we do the last century of America, and the Weimar Republic/Third Reich. That's great, but I really want to do other stuff as well, especially ancient Roman and Greek history.

• Sauli likes this

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 726 rep

I always thought Newton was pretty dull, but I just started looking at his Law of Gravitation and Kepler's Third Law, and it's much better than just motion. The history sounds really good though - up until it's made an optional subject we just do the main bits of English history (Feudalism, Tudors Civil War, Victorian era), then we do the last century of America, and the Weimar Republic/Third Reich. That's great, but I really want to do other stuff as well, especially ancient Roman and Greek history.

Yep, thats the great thing about being from a historically unimportant country - patriotism doesn't affect our schooling that much. We only had Finnish history at the primary school ages ago -and basically thats it. Even it was mostly Swedish kings and their wars in Germany and Poland and Russia.
Then in the grades 5-6 we had world history from apes to Napoleon and in the grades 7-8 from Napoleon to the current days. In the grade 9 (in other words, last year) we have no history at all.

The course three of history is about the 20th centrury, mostly WWII and the Cold War, and the last compulsory course number four is about the history of the independent Finland (1917-). The optional courses are even more interesting (for example a course on totalitarianism sounds very intriguing but I couldn't fit it into my timetable so I have to wait.) Sadly because of the bad economical situation the amount of optional courses is constantly being reduced so one can never know

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 292 rep

Yep, thats the great thing about being from an historically unimportant country - patriotism doesn't affect our schooling that much. We only had Finnish history in the primary school ages ago -and basically thats it. Even it was mostly Swedish kings and their wars in Germany and Poland and Russia.
Then in the grades 5-6 we had world history from apes to Napoleon and in the grades 7-8 from Napoleon to the current days. In the grade 9 (in other words, last year) we have no history at all.

The course three of history is about the 20th centrury, mostly WWII and the Cold War, and the last compulsory course number four is about the history of the independent Finland (1917-). The optional courses are even more interesting (for example a course on totalitarianism sounds very intriguing but I couldn't fit it into my timetable so I have to wait.) Sadly because of the bad economical situation the amount of optional courses is constantly being reduced so one can never know

I'd love to study Napoleon - he turned up in a time where not much was happening politically (that I know of) and completely changed Europe.
Last year lacking history though, that I'd hate. We have history every year starting at year 3 (age 6-7), changing the focus each year.

Our government (Michael fucking Gove, to be precise) changed the way history's taught from now on, so that it's nothing but English history. The whole of English history, and nowhere else. It's disgusting, and most of it isn't even important compared to other stuff (the causes of the Wall Street Crash, for example, are something everyone should learn because they're the causes of every economic crisis for the last century).

• Sauli likes this

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 726 rep

I'd love to study Napoleon - he turned up in a time where not much was happening politically (that I know of) and completely changed Europe.
Last year lacking history though, that I'd hate. We have history every year starting at year 3 (age 6-7), changing the focus each year.
Our government (Michael fucking Gove, to be precise) changed the way history's taught from now on, so that it's nothing but English history. The whole of English history, and nowhere else. It's disgusting, and most of it isn't even important compared to other stuff (the causes of the Wall Street Crash, for example, are something everyone should learn because they're the causes of every economic crisis for the last century).

We had Wall Street Crash actually just today. Well, what one can say? When people get greedy, they can be pretty dumb.
And in the last year of the comprehensive school (the grade nine) instead of history we had social studies so it wasn't that bad.

I still found it to be an extremely weird though that you start school so young. Like what a 4 year old kid can even learn really?

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 292 rep

We had Wall Street Crash actually just today. Well, what one can say? When people get greedy, they can be pretty dumb.
And in the last year of the comprehensive school (the grade nine) instead of history we had social studies so it wasn't that bad.

I still found it to be an extremely weird though that you start school so young. Like what a 4 year old kid can even learn really?

I actually don't read my stuff on the Wall Street Crash as much as I ought to anymore (I always try to keep important historical facts in my head if they're relevant to the modern world) because I just get pissed off that bankers and governments were stupid enough to let this happen again. The same things caused the 1997 crash and the 2008 crash - why don't people ever bloody learn???

At 4 we're only taught basic reading and writing, and I think addition and subtraction as well, though that might be the following year. We start Religious Studies when we're 5, and I think we start Science (we have one single Science class that does all 3 sciences until A-levels) when we're 6. I remember reading stuff about the Apollo missions before that though, so I can't remember if we do basics before and I just read that myself, or it was just me. I remember teaching myself the life cycle of stars from an encyclopedia I got for Christmas when I was 6 thinking it'd be useful and then being bored when I studied it 8 years later, but that's probably just me.

• Sauli likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users