Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The School Thread

• Please log in to reply
1057 replies to this topic

insomniax

insomniax
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Joined Jan 01, 2010
  • 288 rep

Any particular time/place, or just general?

I'm not sure, right now it's more of an introduction, "what is art/culture?" etc. It's only the second lesson so we'll hopefully go deeper. 

• SaintJimmy13 likes this

Pieces of Truth

Pieces of Truth
  • I am a mountain, I am the sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • Joined Aug 04, 2012
  • 2,017 rep

lol, history? In Germany it's more like: Alright, we've done egypt, rome, the middle age etc in 5-7th grade. Now for the last 5 years let's talk about nazis! And, no, silly, we can't go back in time to more interesting subjects. duh.

insomniax

insomniax
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Joined Jan 01, 2010
  • 288 rep

lol, history? In Germany it's more like: Alright, we've done egypt, rome, the middle age etc in 5-7th grade. Now for the last 5 years let's talk about nazis! And, no, silly, we can't go back in time to more interesting subjects. duh.

It's always the same thing.. grade 3-6 we read about every single king we ever had and then grade 7-9 + 1 year in secondary school it was world war II and then some World war II... and then towards the end, we read a bit about World war II. Fine, it's important but you'd think they could mix it up a little bit.. 

Oxymore

Oxymore
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,629 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2013
  • 2,522 rep

You're a smart, powerful and confident woman who doesn't care about other people's opinion, will take no shit and mess up anyone who messes with you! That's what I constantly told myself for a very long time, when simply being in a room with kids my age was enough to increase my heart beat and make me feel scared, anxious and 'less' than others. Then I worried about that they'd think of me, then I'd run, but then I stopped. Maybe I'm an arrogant, confident (brat) princess now, but at least no teenage kid is going to make me feel bad. 

The first piece of advice that comes to my mind is "ADORE YOURSELF" to feel better but I don't know how helpful is that, so remember what Sauli said: everyone is nervous, everyone feels weird around certain people, everyone gets anxious sometimes. Some people are just better at hiding it! Find a few people that make you feel comfortable, hang onto them and forget the rest.

Spoiler

Well, I guess it's a real work we have to do in ourselves.... Tbh I always thought I wasn't like every other people of my age, because my sister, two of my cousins, my mother and both my aunts had similar problems with sociability. I just thought it was in my blood or something, and studying by correspondence for four years didn't help me facing the problem. Now it comes, it's really too much at once for me. I'd like to do things more progressivly but, how..? Visually speaking, I look like a frightened kid and I don't manage to speak properly without blushing.

Also, what I probably fear the most is to be alone, for I never had friends - apart a girl I met two years ago during my trip. We're not really champions of human relationships in my surroundings...

So I think it's gonna take years to look ''normal'', but it's always nice to hear and read I'm not alone with that.

Spoiler

Pieces of Truth

Pieces of Truth
  • I am a mountain, I am the sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts
  • Joined Aug 04, 2012
  • 2,017 rep

Oh my god I want to pull my hair out whenever I sit in my English course.

Random girl:"I, like, love English so much lol" THEN WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CANT YOU REMEMBER TO ADD AN S TO VERBS IN THE THIRD PERSON SINGULAR? HE SHE IT DAS S MUSS MIT! WE EVEN HAVE A RHYME FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

Teacher:"Guys I'm impressed your English is excellent!" RIGHT THEN WHY CAN'T HALF OF THE CLASS DIFFERENTIATE THE USE OF "FOR" AND "SINCE"? THIS WAS LITERALLY COVERED IN SEVENTH GRADE SO YOU'VE HAD 3 YEARS TO REMEMBER??

Heck, my English is far from perfect but you suck!

I know I sound like a huge asshole but this has been going on since ~7th grade and I thought things were going to change as the course system gets introduced and I get to have English with a different set of people, but it's all still the same, only know there are plenty of big mouths who use big words in the wrong context because they don't actually know what they're saying, but, hey, at least they sound smart now, right?

I just lost all motivation because I know there's nothing left they could teach me there because we're forever stuck at the basics. It's like some of them are still learning their ABC's while I'm publishing articles in a medical journal or something - And I'm not even that great.

The teacher thinks I'm incapable because I never raise my hand. ("It's okay if you can't contribute anything to the  classroom conversation, Sandy, but at least be quiet then." <--- Know what would keep me quiet? Actually teaching me something new!) What a fucking joke.

I'm afraid I'm going to be bald in no time. :( :P

• SaintJimmy13 likes this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 200 rep

Oh my god I want to pull my hair out whenever I sit in my English course.

Random girl:"I, like, love English so much lol" THEN WHY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CANT YOU REMEMBER TO ADD AN S TO VERBS IN THE THIRD PERSON SINGULAR? HE SHE IT DAS S MUSS MIT! WE EVEN HAVE A RHYME FOR CRYING OUT LOUD

Teacher:"Guys I'm impressed your English is excellent!" RIGHT THEN WHY CAN'T HALF OF THE CLASS DIFFERENTIATE THE USE OF "FOR" AND "SINCE"? THIS WAS LITERALLY COVERED IN SEVENTH GRADE SO YOU'VE HAD 3 YEARS TO REMEMBER??

Heck, my English is far from perfect but you suck!

I know I sound like a huge asshole but this has been going on since ~7th grade and I thought things were going to change as the course system gets introduced and I get to have English with a different set of people, but it's all still the same, only know there are plenty of big mouths who use big words in the wrong context because they don't actually know what they're saying, but, hey, at least they sound smart now, right?

I just lost all motivation because I know there's nothing left they could teach me there because we're forever stuck at the basics. It's like some of them are still learning their ABC's while I'm publishing articles in a medical journal or something - And I'm not even that great.

The teacher thinks I'm incapable because I never raise my hand. ("It's okay if you can't contribute anything to the  classroom conversation, Sandy, but at least be quiet then." <--- Know what would keep me quiet? Actually teaching me something new!) What a fucking joke.

I'm afraid I'm going to be bald in no time. :( :P

If I had a teacher that rude, I'd get so pissed. If it was a language teacher, I'd get pissed (or calmy explain myself, either works) in that language and then just look at them like they're an idiot.

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 666 rep
We had also an awful English teacher last year. She always complained that nobody participated, but then when someone raised their hand and actually did, she always started to nitpick and correct even the slightest pronunciation mistakes, even if they weren't the point.

The problem wasn't that she corrected all the mistakes (even though it was hardly necessary) how she did it. She pretty much humiliated everyone who did mistakes. Besides, she said "If you cannot speak English, you could aswell be quiet".
She was an idiot.

I mean the bloody point of learning languages is to be able to communicate dammit and for example my English is pretty foible sometimes, but I reckon I can communicate in English just fine

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 740 rep

Wow, the exact opposite happens in our schools :o We spend most of our school years learning about ancient Greece, the Byzantine Empire and the Greek Revolution but no one knows what happened after approximately 1830; cause we're never taught those chapters at school, there's never enough time :ninja: It's like, we know so much about ancient Greece but when it comes to contemporary history, the world wars etc. it's all fuzzy and no one knows a damn thing. It's infuriating.

Most kids my age know good English, it's probably because we all have systematic afternoon classes from the age of 7 (public schools haven't taught us anything as far as English in concerned; we all learn English in private institutions, every Greek kid, I can assure you)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users