Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The School Thread

• Please log in to reply
1039 replies to this topic

Pieces of Truth

Pieces of Truth
  • I am a mountain, I am the sea

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,044 posts
  • Joined Aug 04, 2012
  • 2,012 rep

Aww =/ You have to do what you like best, otherwise you'll end up being kind of bad at everything. I suggest you cry, go on a hunger strike, or try to have a reasonable conversation. I usually do all three.

ugh I wouldn't last a day on a hunger strike. I love crisp bread with honey way too much :( :P

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 653 rep

Just don't turn up to the lesson. They can't physically drag you there, and there's no point wasting your time.

Um but if I don't attend the long maths lessons I must attend the normal maths lesson and if I don't attend them I won't pass.

My parents are usually kinda understanding but my dad is an engineer and basically thinks mathematical subjects = education.

It's a shame since I could be very good at literature, Finnish, English and history if I had a chance. I have got straight tens from them nearly always

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 738 rep

ugh I wouldn't last a day on a hunger strike. I love crisp bread with honey way too much :( :P

(I secretly ate chocolates while I was outside, but nobody knows that :ninja:

• Pieces of Truth likes this

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 3,042 rep
So, that bitch of an English teacher I was complaining about nearly all last year paid me a visit today. To ask my permission for her to use one of my essays as an example to follow!
Words cannot describe the satisfaction that gave me! :lol: her that put me down all year came to me to ask to show her class my essay as a perfect example :P
  • Sofouska and Dirntbag like this

Eva

Eva
  • Rebel Without a Car

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,069 posts
  • Joined Jun 09, 2011
  • 4,396 rep

Over the summer, our county switched to a new website and grading program and I hate it a lot. The teachers are still learning how to use it and I don't understand it at all, so it's really hard to check my grades. I know it's only the third week of school but I've taken quizzes and tests and stuff and last year, we would have been able to go online and look at our scores the day after we took the test. Now it's all confusing and the grades aren't even up there so I have to wait until they give us our tests back in class, which takes forever because the teachers apparently don't understand organization. And it'll take nine weeks for us to get our first report cards, so I probably won't know what my overall grades in my classes are until the beginning of October. =/

Checking my grades a lot is how I organize myself because if something's not there, I could be like "Oh shit, I forgot to write that in my planner and I didn't do it, I'll do it now and turn it in late tomorrow." But now it's more of a like "Well, I hope my ADHD didn't kick and I listened in class and we really DIDN'T have homework because if we did, I have no idea what it was or how to do it." Sigh. Technology is ridiculous. The old system worked perfectly fine too...

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 653 rep
I discussed my plan of dropping long maths with my dad and with my school counsellour. And I got told by her that if I dropt long maths I should start a new language since according to her I am good at languages and history/literature fits well with languages.
I asked about it at home and Dad did agree so it could work. He was still stubborn as hell but maybe he finally realises I won't be an engineer.
The problem is that I have been particularly gifted at languages and on the other hand I have absolutely no idea which language I should choose.
  • Emilie. likes this

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,259 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 738 rep

I discussed my plan of dropping long maths with my dad and with my school counsellour. And I got told by her that if I dropt long maths I should start a new language since according to her I am good at languages and history/literature fits well with languages.
I asked about it at home and Dad did agree so it could work. He was still stubborn as hell but maybe he finally realises I won't be an engineer.
The problem is that I have been particularly gifted at languages and on the other hand I have absolutely no idea which language I should choose.

French is a beautiful language. Just saying :lol: And Spanish is great, those two are my favorite languages :wub:

• Sauli likes this

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 653 rep

French is a beautiful language. Just saying :lol: And Spanish is great, those two are my favorite languages :wub:

Yep. My dad wants me to take German but it is such a boring language and doesn't sound nice. French would be nice but I'm scared of their millions different forms of words. Like, their verbs have 20 form or something. (So do ours of course, but Finnish is my native tongue so it doesn't count.

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,259 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 738 rep

Yep. My dad wants me to take German but it is such a boring language and doesn't sound nice. French would be nice but I'm scared of their millions different forms of words. Like, their verbs have 20 form or something. (So do ours of course, but Finnish is my native tongue so it doesn't count.

I KNOW RIGHT?! Some of my friends that know German are constantly telling me that it's better than French and blah blah blah, but you know what? I can call them names in French, and it sounds so bloody cute that they think I'm making a love declaration. It's not that hard, and that's why I didn't suggest Greek, Greek is my native tongue and the pronounciation is easy, but its grammar will make your life miserable. French is okay! I didn't think it was too bad. It's up to you to decide though.

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• 8,062 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 3,042 rep
I didn't find French grammar too difficult when I did it (and I'm not a language person) there are some patterns and after a while it all starts to seem logical.
  • SaintJimmy13 likes this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 193 rep

I didn't find French grammar too difficult when I did it (and I'm not a language person) there are some patterns and after a while it all starts to seem logical.

Agreed - besides some irregular verbs (faire and etre, mainly), everything follows the same framework in French, so it's not painfully complex.

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 653 rep
Yeah, the options are French, German, Spanish and Russian.
French is probably thr best option but if I must then I shall take German. Russian would be very useful and valued plus Russian literature is amazing but it would be far too hard to learn.

Sofouska

Sofouska
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,259 posts
  • Joined Aug 13, 2010
  • 738 rep

French is probably thr best option but if I must then I shall take German. Russian would be very useful and valued plus Russian literature is amazing but it would be far too hard to learn.

*whispers* French. 

Not that I'm trying to force you or anything, but. F r e n c h~~

:lol:  Oh man, I swear I'm not insane, I just love their language, country and culture so much!

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 13,948 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,376 rep

glad it worked out for you

but dang I have no advice on choosing a language because I've only ever taken Japanese and I wouldn't call that easy :lol:

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• 8,062 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 3,042 rep

I think Russian would be amazing to learn... I don't know much about the language except a few words we need for history but it seems awesome :P

Advertising

Pieces of Truth

Pieces of Truth

• 4,044 posts
  • Joined Aug 04, 2012
  • 2,012 rep

I can't wait for friday to have art class again! :happy: I tried hard over the summer to improve and my new teacher actually noticed and asked if "I'm doing this more often". Great feeling to have your efforts recognized... even if it was just when being prompted to draw+shade a stupid walnut :P

• Dirntbag likes this

Arabella.

Arabella.
  • Moriarty

• 9,603 posts
  • Joined Aug 11, 2008
  • 201 rep
Scares me so much to think graduation is in 8 months. Started my senior year with college stuff hitting me in the face at every corner.

Valencia bound right after high school, then UCF bound. Super excited but super nervous, too.

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 653 rep
Today my math teacher told me that she wouldn't let me drop long maths yet and actually told me to to take long physics too.
I don't know if I should feel flattered because she praised my abilities pretty openly and even offered some special arrangements that would allow me to take long history and psychology and long English without dropping long maths and long physics.
It gets more complicated daily. On the other hand it would be logical to keep all options available and not to close any doors yet but really I don't know.
Besides if my dad knew what she said about me, he would never let me drop long maths :lol:

I am sorry that I keep on going on about this, but it is a decision that affects my future pretty massively.
  • SaintJimmy13 likes this

Pieces of Truth

Pieces of Truth

• 4,044 posts
  • Joined Aug 04, 2012
  • 2,012 rep

Today my math teacher told me that she wouldn't let me drop long maths yet and actually told me to to take long physics too.
I don't know if I should feel flattered because she praised my abilities pretty openly and even offered some special arrangements that would allow me to take long history and psychology and long English without dropping long maths and long physics.
It gets more complicated daily. On the other hand it would be logical to keep all options available and not to close any doors yet but really I don't know.
Besides if my dad knew what she said about me, he would never let me drop long maths :lol:

I am sorry that I keep on going on about this, but it is a decision that affects my future pretty massively.

stupid question, but what do you mean by "long" anything?

Sauli

Sauli
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2014
  • 653 rep

stupid question, but what do you mean by "long" anything?

Oh. So in our high school system (or upper secondary school etc I'm not sure which one is the most correct one ) everyone must do a certain amount of math courses, a certain amount of physics courses etc). And you must graduate at least four subjects.
Basically, long maths is a longer version of maths. Everyone must study maths at least six courses, but if you want to continue maths at uni, or you want to have a profession that deals with maths, you must take long maths, which takes more effort and time and is generally deemed as the hardest part of high school.

when it comes to physics you must take at least one, but if you want to continue them at uni you need six. Etc.

So basically what I choose now affects what I can study at uni. Hopefully I make sense, I do not know the equivalents to these terms in English and besides our systems are different.
In a nutshell, everyone must take short maths, short English, short physics etc. But if you want to continue English, or physics or maths at uni, you need the longer ones.

And my problem is that you can't have everything and I can't decide what to drop. Since it is impossible to have long everything and still manage to graduate in three years.
Usually people concentrate on those subjects they are good at, but I'm fairly good at every subject and if a math teacher comes telling me that I'm very talented and could pretty much get the top grades at maths, I find it hard to tell her that I plan to drop long maths completely.

But trying to do long maths and long physics and also long English, long psychology, long literature and long history is pretty hard. Possible but takes a great deal of work. I could do it but I'm not sure I want to.
  • Pieces of Truth likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users