Jump to content
Guest

AFI - A FIRE INSIDE

Recommended Posts

Mato

 

Both of new songs has somewhat of Sing The Sorrow feel, especially Davey's vocals.

Only three more days until The Missing Man :happy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaylubd

I like Trash Bat better than Get Dark but so far I can't really get into either of the songs. Still looking forward to listening to the EP but not very excited about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tigress

I’m not a fan of the ep save for Trash Bat. Even then, it’s all mostly uninspired and lazy sounding.

I am excited to see them tonight though! Hunter, here I come. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tigress

Wow, Davey is bored as all hell. Not a great show all around except for my darling Hunter who is always fire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That Dude

The first thing I think about this band is how much they have changed.  I heard Third Season as a youngster and freaking loved it, wanted to hear more from that band.  Then suddenly they looked and sounded different.  It was jarring.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaylubd

The EP is so underwhelming. Just like so much of their recent output it's just there. It's very meh. Trash Bat and maybe Break Angels are the best songs. The other stuff just doesn't grab your attention and it doesn't help that Davey sounds bored. I don't mind them changing their sound, but could they at least do something interesting? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Misfit xo

I prefer older AFI.  A few of my favorite songs are God Called In Sick Today, This Time Imperfect, Totalimmortal, Days of the Phoenix... that being said; how is The Missing Man? I haven't listened to it yet. I couldn't really get into Burials, or even Crash Love.  I suppose I'll check out the new album on Spotify tonight, after my daughter goes to bed. 🤓 I saw them live with Green Day, back in... 2009, maybe? Davey is absolutely gorgeous.. and that voice.. 😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaylubd

Honestly I find new AFI to be mediocre. The last thing I really liked was half of Burials. I really loved that hard, aggressive sound and they keep moving further away from it. This would be fine if the new stuff wasn't so meh. Missing Man was just underwhelming. Nothing about it stood out to me. I still think the problem is Davey Havok has too many projects going on at once. Instead of focusing on making one stellar they're all okay at best. I'll always be a fan of their STS and DU phases. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NothingButYourImagination

New Blaqk Audio (Davey and Jade's electronic side project) album coming this spring! Blaqk Audio Announce New LP ‘Only Things We Love’ The new song from it, "The Viles", is available to listen to now. US tour to follow as well. 

49837024_10161305537755313_8972674628283

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaylubd

New song is.....tolerable. It's not bad, but it doesn't make me excited for the album. Though I think I will see Blaqk Audio again with some friends. Their shows are fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaylubd

Anyone check out the new Blaqk Audio album? Honestly, I feel the same as I do about their last 2 albums. Some really good songs, the rest is just there. I think I like it more than The Missing Man, but nothing amazing, which I expected. It's not horrible but not an album I want to listen to start to finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NothingButYourImagination
2 hours ago, kaylubd said:

Anyone check out the new Blaqk Audio album? Honestly, I feel the same as I do about their last 2 albums. Some really good songs, the rest is just there. I think I like it more than The Missing Man, but nothing amazing, which I expected. It's not horrible but not an album I want to listen to start to finish.

I got it in my iTunes & Spotify libraries, I still have yet to give any of the songs a listen yet. I was going to go to the Washington DC show, but I'm reselling my ticket to a friend on Facebook. I'm just kinda not feeling it & I'm already taking some days off work both the previous week (to go see Jawbreaker in DC) and the week of the show (originally to go see BA, now because I'm moving into a new apartment that week.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaylubd
1 hour ago, NothingButYourImagination said:

I got it in my iTunes & Spotify libraries, I still have yet to give any of the songs a listen yet. I was going to go to the Washington DC show, but I'm reselling my ticket to a friend on Facebook. I'm just kinda not feeling it & I'm already taking some days off work both the previous week (to go see Jawbreaker in DC) and the week of the show (originally to go see BA, now because I'm moving into a new apartment that week.) 

Ah okay. I'm also going to see them next week and I'm pretty excited because they're great live! But this album, eh. I like it about as much as I liked Material. Have fun at Jawbreaker though! I don't blame you for giving up BA to stick with that show!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NothingButYourImagination
2 hours ago, kaylubd said:

Ah okay. I'm also going to see them next week and I'm pretty excited because they're great live! But this album, eh. I like it about as much as I liked Material. Have fun at Jawbreaker though! I don't blame you for giving up BA to stick with that show!

They really are, hope you have fun at your show though! Yeah, I wasn't too hyped for Material either. I'll have to listen to the new album to compare. In all honesty, I think their debut, CexCells, was their best. It had that dark wave, cold synthy sound that I really loved. Bright Black Heaven was a good follow up, albeit more poppy, but still good. 

Thank you! :) I'm super excited for Jawbreaker and am happy I can add them to my list of bands I've seen live. I never thought I'd get the chance since they were broken up for so long and then only started doing small handfuls of shows mostly on the west coast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kaylubd
15 minutes ago, NothingButYourImagination said:

They really are, hope you have fun at your show though! Yeah, I wasn't too hyped for Material either. I'll have to listen to the new album to compare. In all honesty, I think their debut, CexCells, was their best. It had that dark wave, cold synthy sound that I really loved. Bright Black Heaven was a good follow up, albeit more poppy, but still good. 

Thank you! :) I'm super excited for Jawbreaker and am happy I can add them to my list of bands I've seen live. I never thought I'd get the chance since they were broken up for so long and then only started doing small handfuls of shows mostly on the west coast.

Thanks! It's so funny that you mention their debut because my friend and I were just saying how good CexCells was. I think it was because they were taking a risk at the time. You know, these punk guys doing electro dance music. So they really gave it their all. And as you mention it has a great mix of dark wave and synth with some 80s influences. That's still my fave album them. And after that it kind of feels like they fell into a pattern where everything started sounding the same or sounding like generic dance music with predictable beats and rhythms. I just found it interesting that you preferred CexCells too.

Yeah! I remember when they got back together. It was a huge deal. I don't really listen to them myself, but I'm glad you're getting a chance to see them! Have a good time! I'm sure I'll be back here next week after I see Davey and Jade! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×