Welcome to Green Day Community

Hey Green Day fans! Join our community now, totally free, to talk with other Green Day fans from around the world about everything going on with the band. Talk about the current tour, current news, speculation, and we have general topics to talk about current events, life, anything that's on your mind. It's a little corner of the internet where Green Day fans can come together. Join us!

Trotsky

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

842 posts in this topic
On 18. 2. 2017 at 4:14 PM, Marki. said:

Just wanted to let you know that I read it :) A few weeks ago actually, now I'm getting reminders from the library that I need to give it back, so I was flipping through the book again and thought that I should tell you that I agree with your assessment, it is quite genius. I loved the beginning when the narrator was just describing his family and his life... Such great observations, and the irony! There are some golden sentences, I was already laughing on the second page where he's describing his wife ("Je učitelkou - ale to nevadí" :lol:). Also, some actual great quotes - for some reason, I still remember the part where he's musing about life and says "nejtěžší je dobrovolně změnit svůj život"... How true. I also liked the description of guinea pigs and their behavior, it's spot on and reminded me of having a guinea pig myself. But, as the novel went on, I came to like the narrator less and less (probably because of what he did) and it all became more and more unsettling. In the last third of the book I was actually scared what he's going to say next/what's going to happen. I ended up reading the whole thing in one day, which was kind of great, but finishing it in the middle of the night maybe wasn't the best idea :P And I did wonder if I'm just too stupid to get some things or if it's supposed to be so ambiguous and open to interpretation, so I googled more information and reading those bits about the author and reviews by other people was also interesting.

Anyway, sorry for writing a novel here :lol: I just wanted to say that I did read it and it was really good!

I like your novel! It makes me happy to know that you liked it too. 

Your description of this book is spot on - it must be one of the most ironic books I've ever read. The way he pretends it's a childrens book! And explains words, sometimes confusing them, like morčátko > morčabátko > bátko. Or the whole thing with lombard he is investigating (it turns out to be "bombardovat" in the end, doesn't it?). 

When I finished it, I spent a lot of time trying to come up with an explanation and reading about it. in the end, I just went with it that the narrator is crazy and his reality is somewhat deranged. The system he lives in makes no sense but he and his colleagues are trying to understand it - he picks up some of what they say, like the maelstrom thing, but he isn't able to find any meaning in what he hears - (words have different meanings and Edgar Allan Poe is an economist. It's like as if Vaculík created an alternate reality in which the narrator is but doesn't realize it - kind of like matrix. it's a genius allegory). It's the most unsettling book of Czech literature - at least from those I know of. This total absence of understanding of what is going on and a feeling of some inner logic that must be there (both narrator and a reader feel like they just fail to grasp it) is what makes it so scary. It's like a bad dream where you know something is horribly wrong but can't put a finger on what it is. 

Haunting. 

What do you think about the ending? 

1 person likes this

On 19. února 2017 at 10:37 PM, Jane Lannister said:

I like your novel! It makes me happy to know that you liked it too. 

Your description of this book is spot on - it must be one of the most ironic books I've ever read. The way he pretends it's a childrens book! And explains words, sometimes confusing them, like morčátko > morčabátko > bátko. Or the whole thing with lombard he is investigating (it turns out to be "bombardovat" in the end, doesn't it?). 

When I finished it, I spent a lot of time trying to come up with an explanation and reading about it. in the end, I just went with it that the narrator is crazy and his reality is somewhat deranged. The system he lives in makes no sense but he and his colleagues are trying to understand it - he picks up some of what they say, like the maelstrom thing, but he isn't able to find any meaning in what he hears - (words have different meanings and Edgar Allan Poe is an economist. It's like as if Vaculík created an alternate reality in which the narrator is but doesn't realize it - kind of like matrix. it's a genius allegory). It's the most unsettling book of Czech literature - at least from those I know of. This total absence of understanding of what is going on and a feeling of some inner logic that must be there (both narrator and a reader feel like they just fail to grasp it) is what makes it so scary. It's like a bad dream where you know something is horribly wrong but can't put a finger on what it is. 

Haunting. 

What do you think about the ending? 

I like your explanations too, so spot on! You're right with the words, I think he confuses quite a few, like "hypotéka"/"hypotéza". And the way he pretends it's a book for children is just mad, he always got me with "Pojďme se bavit raději o zvířátkách" and later, "Pojďme se bavit raději o bance..." Also, when he does awful things to the animals and stops writing in first person because it makes him feel less guilty. :ermm: When I look back at it, there are so many things that imply he's probably a bit out of his mind (if not batshit crazy :P). I'd go with the assumption that his reality is somehow deranged like you said, but at the same time, it seems like some strange, suspicious things might really be happening... He definitely tries to figure it all out in a crazy way, though. It's totally like a bad dream where something is horribly wrong but you can't be sure about anything, that's a great way to describe it. Definitely one of the most unsettling books I've come across. Writing this reminded me of Krakatit by Karel Čapek for some reason, maybe because that was also mysterious.

As for the ending, I really don't know what to think. When I read it, I first thought it's all real and he actually killed the weird man with a gun, but of course, then it said that another identical man appeared, and there went my last bit of hope for rationality :P Also, he says he knows what's in that room and is sure what's the whole mystery about, but nothing gets explained and you're left hanging completely. I have no explanation really, other than the version that he's gone mad. In the very end, it says his family has never seen him again... so something must've happened to him, I guess. Or not? (...This damn book :lol:)

1 person likes this

Sharp objects by Gillian Flynn. 

Requiem for Immortals by Lee Winters

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. 

1 person likes this

Ise Monogatari :mellow: well some of the stories, i have toi admit that i have to read it for my paper

Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman. The prose is really lyrical and beautiful, and the story is really nice, but for some reason I'm struggling to click with it. It's taking me an aaaage to read considering how short it is. Only picked it up because I promised a friend, and she wanted me to tell her my reaction to a certain scene involving a peach. It was kind of disgusting 😂😭

Also this book seems to be marketed as young adult which is very confusing since it's mostly a story of detailed sexual obsession.

I'm going to attempt to read some of original Sherlock Holmes stories. Let's see how this goes. 

I'm reading selected stories from Dubliners by James Joyce, it's proven to be easier and more interesting than I thought so far. 

31434269.jpg

1 person likes this

On 17. března 2017 at 8:04 PM, Mar said:

How do you like it? I was thinking about reading it when I'm done with stuff for uni.

I'm reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets... again. :lol: But I received the illustrated edition and it's so beautiful! 

2 people like this

I just finished "It Can't Happen Here" and "Animal Farm." I'm now reading: "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I totally forgot how much I hated the Dursley family.

18 hours ago, Ian1234 said:

I just finished "It Can't Happen Here" and "Animal Farm." I'm now reading: "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I totally forgot how much I hated the Dursley family.

I felt the same thing when I read the first Harry Potter a few weeks ago... I didn't remember that the Dursey were so awful to Harry! I hate them in the second book too.

27 minutes ago, whatshername0303 said:

I felt the same thing when I read the first Harry Potter a few weeks ago... I didn't remember that the Dursey were so awful to Harry! I hate them in the second book too.

Yeah, they are one of my least favorite characters in the series. Next to Draco and his gang. 

1 person likes this

On 3/19/2017 at 10:16 AM, Marki. said:

How do you like it? I was thinking about reading it when I'm done with stuff for uni.

I'm having trouble getting into it, tbh. It's just not grabbing me =/ 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Mar said:

I'm having trouble getting into it, tbh. It's just not grabbing me =/ 

I had the same problem when I read Everything Is Illuminated... Hmm, I might try this one if I can get my hands on it :)