Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Work Thread

• Please log in to reply
2275 replies to this topic

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_
  • disappearin' in the fade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,720 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,294 rep
Job interview for penny's/primark on Saturday morning :runaround:

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I make great reservations!

• 20,816 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 5,325 rep

Good luck!

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_

• 7,720 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,294 rep

Good luck!

Thank you, dear :happy:

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,264 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,642 rep

Ugh, working in the morning just isn't my thing. :lol: I only went in after lunch for the whole week, but today I had to come into the office at 8:30 because I've got so much stuff to do. I almost fell asleep for the first two hours and I couldn't concentrate at all. :dry: Guess I gotta either get used to going to bed earlier or find myself a job with flexible work hours so I can come in later and stay longer in the evening. :P

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 18,408 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 779 rep

This guy at work is so annoying. He compliments me every time I see him, he does it in such an awkward way. Definitley trying to hide from him. 

Hope it went well. :)

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Flareon my Wayward Son

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 2,934 rep

It's so difficult that I like one of my bosses so much, but I can't stand the other one. The mean one (assistant editor) is just bitter and unbearable most days, but skills-wise is a much better journalist. The not-mean one (managing editor) is a great person, and we get along very well, but skills-wise falls short sometimes. They're both terrible managers, and they're good friends. 

I think it's just becoming increasingly obvious that I can't stand the assistant editor, and that he, for some reason, is starting to resent me. I avoid talking to him if I can, and just keep my head down and do my work, but it's resulted in him calling me out on it and asking "is everything OK?" like every other day, ever since I sent him an email standing up for myself when he was harassing me about not producing enough content a couple weeks ago, when I was extremely sick.

Meanwhile, nice editor keeps telling me what a great job I'm doing, and is giving me additional responsibilities on the corporate side of things, like managing our newspaper's web content and social media and getting involved in discussions about that with the publisher and editors of other newspapers our company owns. And it's weird, because I'm really, really enjoying that side of things, when I always thought I'd just want to stay a reporter a while. But he's encouraging me a lot, as a sort of mentor as well as a boss, and it's making me wonder if I want to get out of the editorial side a lot sooner and just start moving up the ladder.

The worst part is I just don't know which is a real accurate indicator of how I'm doing — am I doing a good job as an employee or not? It's like mean editor just wants me to be a content-producing slave, but nice editor is actually looking out for my skills and well-being in the long run as a person. But what makes me a good employee, especially when mean editor is my direct supervisor? It's like good cop-bad cop head games. Urrrgh.  :dry: 

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 5,441 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 3,501 rep

Last day at Shoe Company! :runaround: I'm actually kind of sad; while I've spent a lot of time in here bitching about the place, I'm really going to miss all of my coworkers. So bittersweet. 

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,264 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,642 rep

Last day at Shoe Company! :runaround: I'm actually kind of sad; while I've spent a lot of time in here bitching about the place, I'm really going to miss all of my coworkers. So bittersweet. 

Pretty sure this is exactly how I'm gonna feel on my last day in two weeks. =/ Good thing is, both my mum and my boyfriend still work at the place, so they can keep me updated on all the gossip. :P

IlariaIDIOT

IlariaIDIOT
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2010
  • 427 rep
Anyone here has done au pair work? :)

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_

• 7,720 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,294 rep

Hope it went well. :)

Thank you, it did go well :) But I am worried that I'm not going to get it simply because of my university timetable. On the form it asked you to indicate what hours you can work. I put down that I can work til 5pm on Sundays, because the last train back to Dublin is at 6:25. The interviewer said 11am - 7pm is the usual Sunday shift. She said that because it's only whilst still in uni for the next few weeks that it could be worked around, but I haven't heard back from them yet, and the later I get a call back, the more likely it is to be a rejection :(

I'm worried.. I am very very broke, and this job pays much better than the hotel job I have, which would be handy for saving for my masters (if I get in)

:( :runaround:

Spinelli

Spinelli
  • 10,905 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 6,228 rep

still haven't heard a word from work about me starting back. my sick note expires in a matter of weeks (2/3), so once that runs out i won't get paid anymore as it'll be counted as 'unauthorised absence'. which it's not. i'm not choosing to be off, i've been asking to come back for over 3 months now. so if i don't here from them in the next week, i'm going to get a solicitor involved & potentially sue. they've refused me work for months now, without reason. i've had the doctors OK to go back to work but apparently that's not enough for them. thanks to being off for so long, being on statutory sick pay which is £200 less than my contract hours, but £500 less than my usual pay including overtime, i've had to sell many of my belongings & never sure if i've enough money to pay my bills.

i got into masses of debt last year, and so sold my new car to cover it. i've now got back into debt, old my iMac, roller derby kit, trying to sell my laptop & selling a part of my car (hardtop, i don't really need it) to try cover it but nothings working. so not only have they destroyed me financially, they've fucked up my mental healthy so bad to the point of relapsing to suicidal thoughts. i think that counts as grounds to sue? the cunts won't know whats hit them. :)

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 18,408 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 779 rep

Thank you, it did go well :) But I am worried that I'm not going to get it simply because of my university timetable. On the form it asked you to indicate what hours you can work. I put down that I can work til 5pm on Sundays, because the last train back to Dublin is at 6:25. The interviewer said 11am - 7pm is the usual Sunday shift. She said that because it's only whilst still in uni for the next few weeks that it could be worked around, but I haven't heard back from them yet, and the later I get a call back, the more likely it is to be a rejection :(

I'm worried.. I am very very broke, and this job pays much better than the hotel job I have, which would be handy for saving for my masters (if I get in)

:( :runaround:

I see. :( Hope it works out for you!

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • Have you seen my bear Tibbers?

• 12,539 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 1,958 rep

I'm still scheduled Mon-Wed but today manager asked if I wanted to come in tomorrow since it's supposed to be nice out and maybe Friday depending on how tomorrow is and the weather.

Kind of gets in the way of my plans a bit but I'm relieved that they do want me to come in and don't not like me or something :P

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 8,978 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 951 rep

I got asked to come back to my old job for August and probably be a supervisor :) Which means I'll be leaving my current job around July and hopefully be able to find a 'real' job starting in September. Now just need to start the crazy job hunting again, and still with no idea what I actually want to do =/

Hannah!

Hannah!
  • WHO IS KMAN

• 20,760 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2004
  • 7,385 rep

i spent my entire lunch break yesterday crying in my car because this stupid job is stressing me out so much. it's a shame really, because i liked it a lot when i first started but over the past few weeks my stress level has gone through the roof thanks to my new manager. i'm so fucking sick of hearing about credit cards i want to punch something.

Advertising

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_

• 7,720 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,294 rep

So I didn't get the job :( I'd be willing to bet it's because of the fact that I can only work til 5pm for the rest of the semester. Which is annoying, because I only have 2 more Mondays of class left. I didn't even get a phone call, I got a shitty, impersonal, automated PFO email. 

And I am very confused as to why I'd have been told the hourly wage, uniform, opening hours etc, and asked when I could start, if they weren't going to give me the job. sigh. I'd gotten my hopes up because of that. 

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I make great reservations!

• 20,816 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 5,325 rep

So I didn't get the job :( I'd be willing to bet it's because of the fact that I can only work til 5pm for the rest of the semester. Which is annoying, because I only have 2 more Mondays of class left. I didn't even get a phone call, I got a shitty, impersonal, automated PFO email. 

And I am very confused as to why I'd have been told the hourly wage, uniform, opening hours etc, and asked when I could start, if they weren't going to give me the job. sigh. I'd gotten my hopes up because of that. 

Sorry, Becca.  I'm sure something else (better) will come your way.  :hug:

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_

• 7,720 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,294 rep

Sorry, Becca.  I'm sure something else (better) will come your way.   :hug:

thank you :hug: 

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 5,441 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 3,501 rep

I'm suppose to be starting my new job next Monday (the 28th) but I haven't heard much or have much information. :ermm: All I know is my start date and what I'm getting paid. I haven't signed any papers yet, know what days of the week I'm working, dress code, ect... she said she would send me stuff/call me 2 weeks before but that was suppose to be yesterday so I duno what to do. :lol: I have her email from when she set up an interview for me so would it be weird to email her? I'm out of town, otherwise I'd call, or should I wait until I'm back in town to call her if I haven't heard anything?

I'm sure everything is fine but I'm just really paranoid that everything's going to fall apart and I'm going to end up with no internship for the summer. :runaround:

St.JimmyLied

St.JimmyLied
  • Jesus of Pittsburghia

• 8,666 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2009
  • 399 rep

My job is irritating me. They keep pushing up the percentage of emails that we need to get from customers. Not just any emails, mind you, but new ones. So if someone comes up to me and gives me an email that's already in the system, it doesn't count towards my 25% requirement. The store manager constantly reminds us about it. It's not my fault if people don't want to provide an email, or rudely cut me off mid-question.

Not only that, but it's been over a year and a half and I'm still making less than $8 an hour. I can't live off of that. Asking for a raise won't work because it's a large craft store chain and the store manager doesn't control pay. We receive a small raise once a year from corporate with a performance review (by small, I mean less than 20 cents). The one good thing about my job is that I'm in charge of painting classes, which looks great on a resume for a future art job and occasionally adds more money to my paycheck.

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • Have you seen my bear Tibbers?

• 12,539 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 1,958 rep

Yesterday a (retired-age) customer told me to 'never lose my smile because it's sensational' and today I had a lovely chat with one of my favourite regulars for the first time of the year and he commented that I looked different and asked if I did something with my hair etc (I told him I'm exactly the same except my hair wasn't in a ponytail for once and I actually got to wear my own clothes instead of last year's oversized silly tshirts). I love my friendly, chatty customers and they're the reason I settle for having a slightly above minimum wage seasonal retail job despite my intelligence and education, I just don't know how to leave them.

ngl I know half my customers by name and they know mine even though we never had name tags and I'm so looking forward to seeing them again this year.

My job is irritating me. They keep pushing up the percentage of emails that we need to get from customers. Not just any emails, mind you, but new ones. So if someone comes up to me and gives me an email that's already in the system, it doesn't count towards my 25% requirement. The store manager constantly reminds us about it. It's not my fault if people don't want to provide an email, or rudely cut me off mid-question.

Not only that, but it's been over a year and a half and I'm still making less than $8 an hour. I can't live off of that. Asking for a raise won't work because it's a large craft store chain and the store manager doesn't control pay. We receive a small raise once a year from corporate with a performance review (by small, I mean less than 20 cents). The one good thing about my job is that I'm in charge of painting classes, which looks great on a resume for a future art job and occasionally adds more money to my paycheck.

Less than $8/hour....???? :mellow: :unsure: :shok:

I was going to come in here to hum and haw over how to approach asking my managers for a raise from $11 to $12-13 because I'm in my third year there and am in fact quite useful to them.... I'll see myself out.

VidKid

VidKid
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Joined Apr 11, 2014
  • 8 rep

I GOT HIRED LAST WEEK!  I'm working for the city again like I did last year.

And I got a pay raise! :D

The Forgotten

The Forgotten
  • Betty White's boytoy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,299 posts
  • Joined May 18, 2012
  • 1,573 rep

I'm seriously considering quitting my job at Lindt Chocolate. My boss treats the guys there like shit.

gdpony

gdpony
  • Anna Molly

• 10,460 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2009
  • 1,206 rep

I'm getting tired of all the crap my coworkers talk about me. Please let go of the fact that I got a promotion, if you have any problem with it, then talk to my boss about it, don't talk about me. I have cried several times because of this, and it fucks up my mental health. It's just hurtful, and it makes me doubt my abilities as an employee.

My bosses are awesome, they support me and advice me not to listen to them, but I'm a very insecure person, so sometimes I think that maybe they talk behind my back as well =/ ...

Blah ... I hate this, because I love my job and my bosses, and all of my coworkers, there's just five of them that I could do without :lol:

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 17,085 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,278 rep

I feel so bad for those of you who have to get data from customers or sign so many up for credit cards. For these companies to assume that a customer's denial is somehow a reflection of the employee is bullshit. So many things come into play when it comes to getting data or a credit card signup, like economic factors (like if your store caters to a budget-minded shopper), the frequency one shops at the store (i.e., with Angela's example, I go to craft stores occasionally, but I don't think enough to warrant giving them my email. I usually give them a spam-delegated email address, but I doubt that many people do that) or even things like the hours and days you work (if you work shifts where business is light). And hell, what happens when you have people who have signed up for credit cards in the past using them? That should be a good thing, but no, instead that hurts you guys because you can't ask them to sign up for something they already have.

Hell, even at Target, a store my mom and I shop at almost daily, we only have a debit, not a credit card. We just can't deal with credit cards right now for myriad reasons. I just always feel so bad for employees when I'm asked to sign up for cards, because I know why the employees are asking.

Hannah!

Hannah!
  • WHO IS KMAN

• 20,760 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2004
  • 7,385 rep

I feel so bad for those of you who have to get data from customers or sign so many up for credit cards. For these companies to assume that a customer's denial is somehow a reflection of the employee is bullshit. So many things come into play when it comes to getting data or a credit card signup, like economic factors (like if your store caters to a budget-minded shopper), the frequency one shops at the store (i.e., with Angela's example, I go to craft stores occasionally, but I don't think enough to warrant giving them my email. I usually give them a spam-delegated email address, but I doubt that many people do that) or even things like the hours and days you work (if you work shifts where business is light). And hell, what happens when you have people who have signed up for credit cards in the past using them? That should be a good thing, but no, instead that hurts you guys because you can't ask them to sign up for something they already have.

Hell, even at Target, a store my mom and I shop at almost daily, we only have a debit, not a credit card. We just can't deal with credit cards right now for myriad reasons. I just always feel so bad for employees when I'm asked to sign up for cards, because I know why the employees are asking.

it's honestly the worst thing ever. i've started applying for cards everywhere that asks because i know i won't get approved and i feel so bad for the workers :lol: plus at my job, not only do we have to push the credit cards, we also have to get the customer's phone number, plus an email address if they haven't already given it, plus on ask for feedback on their shopping ~experience~. all i do is ask questions the entire time and i get so sick of hearing the word no it's really hard to stay polite sometimes! people who already have credit cards with us don't count against us only IF they actually use the card, and we're also supposed to ask and make sure they have both the in-store card and the mastercard and get them to sign up for whichever one they don't have. i'm already behind by 8 cards for my goal this month and i know there's no way i'm ever going to catch up because fuck, i can't force people into it? it's gotten so bad that i've been dreaming about work a lot and in my dreams i'm always trying to talk people into signing up for cards and it's fucking awful. the only thing that doesn't suck about it is we get paid extra for every application. /i have a lot of feelings about credit cards

my manager has been threatening to cut my hours for weeks since i'm so behind but instead of cutting my usual 28 hours a week she's scheduled me for 35 hours next week...ok. it's a good thing cause i need the money but if they're going to keep giving me full-time hours i would like some benefits pls :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users