Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Last day to enter photography contest

We're having a photography contest where you guys send in a photo that describes what that time of year means to you.

Photo

The Work Thread

• Please log in to reply
3827 replies to this topic

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,580 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,219 rep

I like my coworkers, but one of them works so slowly and it makes us lag behind, and I'm worried my boss is gonna take it out on us by laying one of us off.

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 19,376 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 1,155 rep

I have applied for seven jobs this week. Getting pretty sick of this. 

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Bah Humbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,178 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 5,565 rep

I like my coworkers, but one of them works so slowly and it makes us lag behind, and I'm worried my boss is gonna take it out on us by laying one of us off.

Wouldn't they just get rid of the slow one?  :huh:

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_
  • disappearin' in the fade

• 8,827 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,890 rep
12-9 tomorrow. Yuck. Not a late enough start to have a decent lie in, not an early enough finish do anything worthwhile with the day!

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 1,110 rep
First day back after my week off, wasn't too bad! Doing 3-9 tomorrow, in Sunday and then as of next Friday I'm on 6 days in a row until Christmas day :lol:

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 6,215 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 4,226 rep

Apparently we gave really good customer service today. Someone brought us nanaimo bars, then another customer brought us donuts/cookies, then someone else brought us cupcakes, then someone brought us booze (small bottled rum samples) and chocolate. Not complaining at all but what the fuck. :lol: Love my job on days like today! 

Angela.

Angela.
  • Jesus of Pittsburghia

• 8,779 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2009
  • 523 rep

I took my resume to a number of art shops this week. Nobody is hiring. This is lousy. I'm not sure if it's just my location, but small businesses seem to be either struggling or dying out. Nobody can afford to hire a new employee because business is too slow as it is. The town I went to this week was the last place in my area I could think of to turn in my resume for art jobs.

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,580 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,219 rep

Wouldn't they just get rid of the slow one?  :huh:

Not necessarily - he's much more experienced than me and I'm not exactly super fast, either, so it doesn't scream "he's slow," yknow? It's just that he has about 3924 other jobs and he's trying to do them when we're waiting on his pages. I just really noticed it the other day when our chief wasn't there and I was compiling our corrections and waiting on his. He mentioned that he may have to leave soon because of the other jobs, and that's a shame because he does see a lot of things that we don't see (language/spelling things) and he's really good to work with, but I don't want attention drawn to us re: hours. =/

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 19,376 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 1,155 rep

Payday tomorrow. :yay:

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Bah Humbug

• 7,178 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 5,565 rep

It would be so much easier to excel at my job if I was able to do things ahead of time and wasn't bogged down with so much unnecessary work, which makes me more apt to stretch deadlines to the absolute last minute. For the past month, my coworkers and I have had a deadline of Dec. 15 to submit all of our entries for the annual statewide newspaper awards, and guess what day it is, and guess who hasn't started yet?  :whistle

... I guess I'm not sleeping tonight.  =/

Honestly, I'm so jaded about this whole process because I'm the only reporter in the newsroom who's never won anything, and it's well-known I'm bitter about it (I just can't help it, I don't write for awards by any means, but I can't deny I'd like some recognition for busting my ass) so I feel like everyone on our staff is going to be extra patronizing toward me when we talk about it tomorrow.

Not necessarily - he's much more experienced than me and I'm not exactly super fast, either, so it doesn't scream "he's slow," yknow? It's just that he has about 3924 other jobs and he's trying to do them when we're waiting on his pages. I just really noticed it the other day when our chief wasn't there and I was compiling our corrections and waiting on his. He mentioned that he may have to leave soon because of the other jobs, and that's a shame because he does see a lot of things that we don't see (language/spelling things) and he's really good to work with, but I don't want attention drawn to us re: hours. =/

Ah, makes sense! I'm one of the "slower" employees, so I can sympathize with those who take longer to do things, especially if they're constantly bogged down with other jobs/distractions (although mine are all in-house, not sure if his are or if they're with other businesses).

wood

wood
  • The Giving Tree

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 945 rep

Maybe it's the rain, but something has me in a fog today. I can't seem to wake up and I have some important meeting in a few hours. Hopefully I can shake the cobwebs cuz, right now, I don't want to do a damn thing. That's one negative about working with words for a living: you have to be on everyday.

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 23,453 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,770 rep
Electricity went out on the whole block where I work. No computers, phones or heat. But the boss won't let us go home. How screwed up is that?

luv

luv
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Joined Feb 10, 2013
  • 671 rep

Electricity went out on the whole block where I work. No computers, phones or heat. But the boss won't let us go home. How screwed up is that?

The opposite happened here & there was no aircon in the courts or our building.  Work went on even though it is heatwave conditions.  I guess its better to be hot than cold though.

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Anything But The Mainstream

• 13,548 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 13,629 rep

Fucking fuming. Went out to dinner with a friend, who told me she had a consult with my old boss over a case, asked about me (not knowing that I'd quit) and he immediately started trashing me to her. What the ever living fuck. The man is SIXTY FUCKING YEARS OLD. This isn't high school. If he's trashing me to random clients, he could be trashing me to prospective employers. I am literally seeing red. 

I did nothing - NOTHING - to deserve to be trashed.  I am not simply a good employee, I am a fucking exemplary employee. My soft skills are amazing, I'm smart, I'm a fast learner, I'm an efficient worker, I did the best I could with the shit he gave me every single day for nearly FIVE YEARS. While he made out like a bandit underpaying me. I'm worth a lot more than $13/hour. Apparently he was saying I just "up and quit" even though he offered to put me on full time, and that I was super unprofessional??? Fuck you. Fuck, fuck, fuck you. I gave two weeks notice. He constantly told me the whole time i was there he couldn't afford to put me on full time. Hence, I told him that I would leave if I found a full time position. Then he turns around and offers me a full time job when I'm quitting and have already accepted a new position???? Give me a fucking break. Oh, and talk about being unprofessional - calling up other lawyers in town to get shit on my new boss and then telling that shit to me in an attempt to coerce me to stay - THAT'S fucking unprofessional. oh, and then he brow-beat me and ORDERED me not to quit for a month, made me cry, and just

tumblr_n0fa84UWZk1tptgsso1_500.gif

Okay, serious question time (now that I've gotten the rage out) - how should I handle this? 

luv

luv
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Joined Feb 10, 2013
  • 671 rep

Fucking fuming. Went out to dinner with a friend, who told me she had a consult with my old boss over a case, asked about me (not knowing that I'd quit) and he immediately started trashing me to her. What the ever living fuck. The man is SIXTY FUCKING YEARS OLD. This isn't high school. If he's trashing me to random clients, he could be trashing me to prospective employers. I am literally seeing red. 

I did nothing - NOTHING - to deserve to be trashed.  I am not simply a good employee, I am a fucking exemplary employee. My soft skills are amazing, I'm smart, I'm a fast learner, I'm an efficient worker, I did the best I could with the shit he gave me every single day for nearly FIVE YEARS. While he made out like a bandit underpaying me. I'm worth a lot more than $13/hour. Apparently he was saying I just "up and quit" even though he offered to put me on full time, and that I was super unprofessional??? Fuck you. Fuck, fuck, fuck you. I gave two weeks notice. He constantly told me the whole time i was there he couldn't afford to put me on full time. Hence, I told him that I would leave if I found a full time position. Then he turns around and offers me a full time job when I'm quitting and have already accepted a new position???? Give me a fucking break. Oh, and talk about being unprofessional - calling up other lawyers in town to get shit on my new boss and then telling that shit to me in an attempt to coerce me to stay - THAT'S fucking unprofessional. oh, and then he brow-beat me and ORDERED me not to quit for a month, made me cry, and just

https://31.media.tumblr.com/f3b7bdd491e3...

Okay, serious question time (now that I've gotten the rage out) - how should I handle this?

So you work in legal still. If you do I wouldn't be too concerned - I bet you find out his name isn't worth much in the legal game. Here good legal staff move between firms no worries - it's word of mouth & you soon work out who to work for & who the fuckheads are. Having said that if you saw him face to face or had to speak to him for some business reason I would let him know in a roundabout way that you know he has bad mouthed you.

Advertising

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 1,110 rep
Well work was a train wreck tonight!
one part of my job is reducing stuff, it used to be to 50% and then 75%. It's changed to 25, 50 and then 75% now. I came in and started 25% some stuff (this was at half 3), the general manager came and told me not to because it was too early and the shop was busy. So I did what I was told, left it til about 5. By the time I had done the first round and the count it was like 6 o'clock. Went for my half hour break, did some other stuff and did the 50% at about 7.45. This took ages because my printer fucked up and there was nothing bought, had to use the warehouse one so I was running back and forth.
by this time it was about 9 and all of the twats on night shift had literally all of the palettes out of the warehouse and onto the shop floor so customers couldn't get in to buy stuff.
I still had to clean and do the count and with the amount there was I would have been past closing time doing it.
So now there's two enormous bags of waste, I'm probably going to get into so much shit :) it didn't help that the girl on the pie shop was making new stuff at like 4 when there was plenty??? ugh

bass boy

bass boy
  • You stupid fuck.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,162 posts
  • Joined Jul 17, 2008
  • 371 rep

Finally got my first job a few months ago, and now I gotta go find a new one. The boss is the most verbally abusive twat ive ever met, and hes only giving me one shift every week or two. Fucking Christ, Swiss Chalet is hell.

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• 6,994 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 4,222 rep

10 days left and i quit :runaround:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users