Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

The Work Thread

• Please log in to reply
3736 replies to this topic

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • a nightmare dressed like a daydream

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,818 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,652 rep

Going to visit the pool store on my way home from Port Credit tomorrow! Should be interesting, it sounds like there's been some drama happening (about time tbh, shame I'm not there to partake)

Handing in more resumes today! Well, there are only 3 pieces of paper left in the printer so I guess I'm only handing in 3 resumes

My friend's dad is a psychologist and my friend does his reception work for him. I'm thinking about asking whether I can volunteer for a few months to help in reception, just to get some experience. My only other work experience was as a medical receptionist so maybe I can get a job doing something like that.

Don't you have a thing about talking on the phone though? All the same, a receptionist job might help you to overcome that. And it would probably be a good job for you given your back etc.

Good luck :happy:

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• 14,945 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,884 rep

Don't you have a thing about talking on the phone though? All the same, a receptionist job might help you to overcome that. And it would probably be a good job for you given your back etc.

Good luck :happy:

Oh yeah, I didn't even think about that. In my reception work I don't remember answering the phone once, which is weird. But I mean, phone calls for appointments normally go along the same lines. So after a few I'll just get into it and it'll be fine.

InsomniacDookie

InsomniacDookie
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2014
  • 69 rep

I'm hungover and at work right now  :sick: I fucked up.

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Merry Christmas, ya filthy animal

• 14,945 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,884 rep

bleh no one's taking resumes. I tried a few places and apart from the discount store they all said they've hired for Christmas. they won't take resumes until january

Also that candy store still has the ad up looking for juniors. Is that a sign they've thrown my resume out, or is it possible they've just not read it yet? It's been almost 3 weeks 

Sleeper Agent.

Sleeper Agent.
  • The 7 Digit Let Down

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,701 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2011
  • 2,479 rep

Just got told yesterday I won't be working at where I've worked for the past 3 years because the warehouse manager is  being a dick to people who are family or family friends of people who work there. But I've applied for 4 jobs today which is great :) just need to wait for awhile.

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 13,139 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 7,589 rep

i've written up a big ole speech into my notes on my phone, to talk to my managers about as to why i deserve more hours & to be used more as a warehouse/merchandise person. i've put in a load of garbage about it helping 'boost sales' and giving off a better impression to customers. a load of shite that tbh probably is true but is also utter cheese.

gunna try it on Wednesday, see if they bite :lol:

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,881 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 4,163 rep

i'm going to quit on christmas because i have too much hours with school but i dont know how to announce it and i kinda feel bad of living?? when i shouldn't because they're stupid and they don't give a damn that i almost give up the semester because i worked too much.

unextraodinarygirl

unextraodinarygirl
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Joined Nov 09, 2014
  • 5 rep
My boss is such a prick. I can't stand him. My supervisor is a b#tch too. Nothing I do is right and they make my days a living hell. I want to quit but I'm not sure what I can or want to do. I think my self - doubt and anxiety get the best of me too. Not sure if I want to go back to school. All I can do is hang in there I guess, even though I'm sick of all the BS and office politics.

Sleeper Agent.

Sleeper Agent.
  • The 7 Digit Let Down

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,701 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2011
  • 2,479 rep

Applied for 4 jobs this morning and have gotten potential interviews for 2 of them. I say potential interviews because I've yet to organise what time to go at.

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 19,295 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 1,119 rep

Waiting to hear back after an interview is no fun. :(

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,935 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,914 rep

I think I've pretty much nailed down what a job needs to be like in order to be satisfying for me. I really like working, but in order to make me feel good at the end of the day, my ideal job would need to fulfill certain criteria.

a) Contact to people. Ideally customer contact, but as long as I'm able to talk to lots of different people, I'm fine.

b) Valuable for society. I want to know what I work for, what the benefit for society is. I liked my retail job, because I knew exactly what I did for the people who shopped at the place and it made me feel good. At my office job, it's difficult to determine the value and it makes me feel like my work is more or less useless.

c) Busyness. I need something to do all the time. Being bored at work is the worst. The more stressful, the better.

I'm getting a dregree in International Management, so I'll somehow have to find a job in that field. Any ideas? :P

wood

wood
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 760 rep

I have to drive out to an agriculture transport facility and learn everything there is to know about the subject. Luckily, despite the eyeliner and skinny jeans, I was raised as a farmer.

You gotta make everything interesting. Everything's an experience.

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • a nightmare dressed like a daydream

• 13,818 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,652 rep

I think I've pretty much nailed down what a job needs to be like in order to be satisfying for me. I really like working, but in order to make me feel good at the end of the day, my ideal job would need to fulfill certain criteria.

a) Contact to people. Ideally customer contact, but as long as I'm able to talk to lots of different people, I'm fine.

b) Valuable for society. I want to know what I work for, what the benefit for society is. I liked my retail job, because I knew exactly what I did for the people who shopped at the place and it made me feel good. At my office job, it's difficult to determine the value and it makes me feel like my work is more or less useless.

c) Busyness. I need something to do all the time. Being bored at work is the worst. The more stressful, the better.

I'm getting a dregree in International Management, so I'll somehow have to find a job in that field. Any ideas? :P

No idea what International Management really is but glad you've been able to come up with some thoughts about what you like! :happy:
  • Kaddi. likes this

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 6,156 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 4,148 rep

Finally heard back from the company I had an interview at last week, they've decided they don't want a co-op student and want someone who can stay full-time permanently. :rolleyes: Thanks for wasting my time.

Applied for one last position last night, if it doesn't work out I'll hold back for a bit. Seems I'm meant to stay at Enterprise for now and take classes in the winter semester, and hope I'll find an 8 month position for May to December of next year. Slightly frustrated but I'm trying to tell myself everything happens for a reason. :P

Fuzz

Fuzz
  • Professional Cocksmith

• 38,797 posts
  • Joined May 28, 2004
  • 16,176 rep

POPULAR

Over the last week I've gotten many very nice compliments from my supervisor, manager, other IT managers, and even our IT director. One of the managers pulled me to the side yesterday and thanked me for the work I've been doing. He said something along the lines of "I wanted to make sure you knew that your name has come up numerous times in our managers meetings because we're all very impressed with the work you do. We're really glad to have you on our team." My boss even brought up again the possibility of a new level 2 position being created sometime next year that would be a promotion and pay raise if I got it. I'm pretty happy. Two months since I started there and everyone has been nice and supportive, and I have been working as hard as I can, I'm glad it's noticed. 

• She-Loves-Him, lizziebix, Sleeper Agent. and 2 others like this

Advertising

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,951 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,864 rep

For some stupid reason I decided to go back and work holiday in retail again.

Well, it's not really stupid, it's called medical bills but still :lol: I'm definitely a glutton for punishment!

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 23,234 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,605 rep

Over the last week I've gotten many very nice compliments from my supervisor, manager, other IT managers, and even our IT director. One of the managers pulled me to the side yesterday and thanked me for the work I've been doing. He said something along the lines of "I wanted to make sure you knew that your name has come up numerous times in our managers meetings because we're all very impressed with the work you do. We're really glad to have you on our team." My boss even brought up again the possibility of a new level 2 position being created sometime next year that would be a promotion and pay raise if I got it. I'm pretty happy. Two months since I started there and everyone has been nice and supportive, and I have been working as hard as I can, I'm glad it's noticed. 

So proud of you and happy for you. :)
  • Fuzz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users