Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Work Thread

• Please log in to reply
3494 replies to this topic

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,245 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,045 rep

today was my day off and i got called in which is a little annoying but it's only for two hours so i guess i can't complain too much :P

really liking the job so far though! i have a lot more responsibility than i did at sears and i'm running the store on my own most of the time but it's not super fast paced and it's really low stress, which is a nice change working in retail. and i'm learning so much about medical supplies and scrubs :lol:

Eh, I don't blame you for being annoyed; getting ready and driving to work for that short of time is almost more frustrating than a full day sometimes. Do you live close to work?

My boss OK'd me leaving early Thursday to go to a concert... I didn't doubt he'd let me go, but getting the official OK is all I need to get me through this Monday! Success!  :yay:

OT but speaking of concerts, we may still be in Detroit on the day of your concert (my dad's taking Thursday the 6th off to drive my mom and I to the show to save on parking at the Fox and we may stay in the city), depending on when you guys leave for yours maybe we could meet at Culver's or somewhere as you go up there/we go home! NBD, but the thought just crossed my mind, if you're interested :)

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,705 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 7,256 rep

found 3 more school admin jobs to apply for, going to do that tonight/tomorrow. 2 are primary schools, but one is a ''community'' school, whatever that means. all are full term time, with pretty good pay. so fingers crossed :)

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Hash Slinging Slasher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,534 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 4,790 rep

OT but speaking of concerts, we may still be in Detroit on the day of your concert (my dad's taking Thursday the 6th off to drive my mom and I to the show to save on parking at the Fox and we may stay in the city), depending on when you guys leave for yours maybe we could meet at Culver's or somewhere as you go up there/we go home! NBD, but the thought just crossed my mind, if you're interested :)

I know I have that day off of work, but I'm not sure about Brandon... I'll let you know! He paid for a meet and greet with them ( :rolleyes:) so he'll probably have to get there pretty early, but if neither of us have to work, we'll probably be there well before the meet and greet time anyway!

found 3 more school admin jobs to apply for, going to do that tonight/tomorrow. 2 are primary schools, but one is a ''community'' school, whatever that means. all are full term time, with pretty good pay. so fingers crossed :)

Good luck! :)

I'm not sure how community schools work where you are, but here they're typically "alternative" schools, like charter or online schools where the students complete work independently.

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 15,823 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 16,655 rep

Fucking hell I am so tired. I've walked around every single shop in two towns today and applied for over 50 Christmas jobs. Help.

ThisIsNotNora

ThisIsNotNora
  • I'm very hip and cool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,520 posts
  • Joined Jul 24, 2010
  • 2,730 rep

Good for you!
I have several friends that has worked there when they were younger. All off them liked it. :)
And I'll be super nice if I ever order from you. :P

Thanks n.n

Haha, that'd be rad!
  • Billie Hoe is my hero likes this

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,941 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,722 rep

I feel like this happened with me, obviously I got the better end of the deal. The guy who I kind of replaced made less than me, and put in his resignation after I was hired and he realized they were paying me more. He's been with them for 3 years and asked for a raise, they denied it, so he put in his two week notice (his last day was my 3rd day on the job). He knew the place inside and out. I have no idea why they wouldn't give him a raise to keep him there. There are still two openings at the job, so it's not like my hire was pushing the budget or anything. It seems like a big loss for the department. It does put me in a little awkward situation where I'm the highest paid tech and the remaining two techs have both been there 2+ years (one has been there 5). Obviously I'm happy for my situation, but I'm aware of how it must make them feel. So I've made sure since I started to do my best and try doing more work. Taking on the issues they kind of push off and don't want to deal with. I see no downside to this since it makes me feel like I'm earning my pay, obviously my co-workers are happy that I'm doing a lot of the heavy lifting and my supervisors have also noticed. But it is a weird situation still. No idea why directors don't see how much better it would be to pay the good employees more to keep them around rather than spending the resources on bringing new people in. 

It's part of the churn rate. They didn't give them raises because all good businesses or organisations know that you need fresh minds and fresh ideas. Very few well-run organisations promote much from within. It leads to stagnation. 

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 6,044 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 4,055 rep

Finally heard back from Husky, didn't get the job. In a way I'm relieved, because the more I thought about it, the more I think I would have hated the job, but it sucks being back at square one now. I know I'll hear from Pepsi next week or the week after, and hopefully it'll be good news, but I'm still feeling very anxious. I still have over a month to find something, and I know most of the job postings are posted in November (I think, at least), but I can't help but worry I'm not going to find anything. And I know it's not the end of the world if I don't find anything, but I was really looking forward to having a semester off of classes and gaining different work experience. We'll see what happens I guess but gahhhhh, frustrating. 

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,507 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,610 rep

My mom keeps asking me if I failed my drug test. Uhm, no, drugs only stay in urine for a few days. Now a hair test I'd be fucked. 

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 19,803 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 4,037 rep

My mom keeps asking me if I failed my drug test. Uhm, no, drugs only stay in urine for a few days. Now a hair test I'd be fucked. 

really? is that for weed?

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,507 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,610 rep

really? is that for weed?

Well I took a call center job so it's just their policy to drug test all new employees. I smoked once somewhat recently but not recently enough for it to be in my urine. I assume they test for a bunch of stuff though. 

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 19,803 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 4,037 rep

Well I took a call center job so it's just their policy to drug test all new employees. I smoked once somewhat recently but not recently enough for it to be in my urine. I assume they test for a bunch of stuff though. 

haha, well all i smoke is weed so i'm not too concerned with anything else. my current job doesn't drug test, i was just curious how long weed is detectable in your system. 

Trotsky

Trotsky

• 29,507 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,610 rep

haha, well all i smoke is weed so i'm not too concerned with anything else. my current job doesn't drug test, i was just curious how long weed is detectable in your system. 

Urine 3 or 4 days, hair up to a month. Something like that. 

Also true fact: dextromethorphan based cough medicine (as in, all OTC cough medicine) can make you false positive for PCP.

Khaleesi.

Khaleesi.
  • #sneakyoutlaw

• 19,803 posts
  • Joined Jul 31, 2005
  • 4,037 rep

Urine 3 or 4 days, hair up to a month. Something like that. 

Also true fact: dextromethorphan based cough medicine (as in, all OTC cough medicine) can make you false positive for PCP.

well that's a lot better than i thought. i dunno if i'll ever need to take a drug test, but that's good to know. 

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,795 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,401 rep

I feel like this happened with me, obviously I got the better end of the deal. The guy who I kind of replaced made less than me, and put in his resignation after I was hired and he realized they were paying me more. He's been with them for 3 years and asked for a raise, they denied it, so he put in his two week notice (his last day was my 3rd day on the job). He knew the place inside and out. I have no idea why they wouldn't give him a raise to keep him there. There are still two openings at the job, so it's not like my hire was pushing the budget or anything. It seems like a big loss for the department. It does put me in a little awkward situation where I'm the highest paid tech and the remaining two techs have both been there 2+ years (one has been there 5). Obviously I'm happy for my situation, but I'm aware of how it must make them feel. So I've made sure since I started to do my best and try doing more work. Taking on the issues they kind of push off and don't want to deal with. I see no downside to this since it makes me feel like I'm earning my pay, obviously my co-workers are happy that I'm doing a lot of the heavy lifting and my supervisors have also noticed. But it is a weird situation still. No idea why directors don't see how much better it would be to pay the good employees more to keep them around rather than spending the resources on bringing new people in.

I'm actually really happy you're the one on the other side of this story.

As to your last comment, it's a business decision because usually you can get 2 or more people for the price of the original worker. So they figure why pay someone more when they can (usually) get someone cheaper to do the same work. Obviously, your situation is different and unusual from what I've seen.

In my situation I learned the other day that my new boss has been, over the course of the 6 months he's been there, denying a lot of departments the ability to add employees. And then he went and hired me. (Guess the previous CFO's never had assistants.) I hear that people are not happy with that decision. Don't know if it'll affect me directly or they'll just be angry at both of us behind our backs. Time will tell.

gdpony

gdpony
  • Anna Molly

• 10,558 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2009
  • 1,229 rep

Sometimes I just want to kill someone.

I have tons of patience, like you have no idea, that's why I loved working as a teacher too. But users can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

I love how a manager forgot to send me an emal ealier and she does so out of office hours, and forgets to attatch the file I need to help her out with her request. Fucking brilliant. I'm probably gonna get shit for this, but I sent her an email and she didn't reply, there's nothing else I can do :P

I had an awfully long day today, blade server is still not ready, I have other server requests and a visit from a Microsoft Partner tomorrow, for which I'm totally not prepared for haha. I'm trying to get as much as I can done, but my VPN is being a bitch. :happy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users