Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
The results of the Bobo Awards are now available here! Didn't get to vote? Go support our boys by voting for them here. I know we can beat Paramore this time.

Photo

The Work Thread

• Please log in to reply
3477 replies to this topic

Hayley

Hayley
  • yolo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,842 posts
  • Joined Apr 24, 2006
  • 762 rep

Excellent! Congrats!!

Thank you!! Now I just have to survive the next 2 weeks at my current job 

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,781 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,399 rep

Thank you!! Now I just have to survive the next 2 weeks at my current job

Just keep reminding yourself that in 2 weeks you'll be starting something new and exciting. The time will fly by.
  • Hayley likes this

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,692 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 7,240 rep

I hope you get it too. btw...what's Asda?

Asda is Walmarts UK baby
  • lizziebix likes this

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 1,075 rep
I'm working the next three Sundays in a row. Doing a close tomorrow and then 6-2 next Sunday and a close in two weeks. I normally wouldn't mind but I'm back at college this Monday so the long Mondays return! Thankfully band isn't on this week, I'd probably be dead lmao. I suppose it's good because it's time and a half pay on a Sunday yay.
Yesterday went well, first 6 hour shift completely on my own. I managed to sell all the pies which never happens! Back in tonight from 3-9 again. I need to start having a massive lunch when I'm working, I'm always starving by the time I get home lol.

Maria Gloria

Maria Gloria
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,542 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2010
  • 5,863 rep

I hope you get it too. btw...what's Asda?

Thanks Mar! Yeah Asda is a supermarket, it's a checkout assistant job.
  • lizziebix likes this

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,970 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 4,076 rep

Although I've been pining for a free Saturday for months, I'm sad about being off today. Had to put a sick in and I'm so restless and bored at home.

gdpony

gdpony
  • Anna Molly

• 10,557 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2009
  • 1,229 rep

Three days without my bosses and everything went better than expected. Except for the small flood under the Data Center, which scared the hell out of me :lol:

Other than that, everything went great, I learned a bunch of new stuff, and I'm now able to make decisions without feeling insecure.

We're installing a blade server on Monday, pretty excited about it :happy:

• Fuzz likes this

lizziebix

lizziebix

• 22,781 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,399 rep

Asda is Walmarts UK baby

Thanks Mar! Yeah Asda is a supermarket, it's a checkout assistant job.

Thanks for explaining. Still hope you get it Maria Gloria!

Hayley

Hayley
  • yolo

• 11,842 posts
  • Joined Apr 24, 2006
  • 762 rep
Oh my god I went into work tonight and was going to give my manager my resignation letter at the end of the night, but first he brought me into the back to talk to me. He said that I'm a really great worker and isn't going to fire me and said that I get a lot of stuff done and don't mess around like my co workers.. So I didn't end up giving him my letter FML :P

I'm going to wait until after I start my new job on Monday and figure out how many hours I'll be getting there and then try and work something out I guess aghhh

luv

luv
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts
  • Joined Feb 10, 2013
  • 518 rep

Oh my god I went into work tonight and was going to give my manager my resignation letter at the end of the night, but first he brought me into the back to talk to me. He said that I'm a really great worker and isn't going to fire me and said that I get a lot of stuff done and don't mess around like my co workers.. So I didn't end up giving him my letter FML :P
I'm going to wait until after I start my new job on Monday and figure out how many hours I'll be getting there and then try and work something out I guess aghhh

Good plan :)
  • Hayley likes this

lizziebix

lizziebix

• 22,781 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,399 rep

So happy you're not getting fired. And hope you can make both jobs work out.
  • Hayley likes this

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton
  • Head of Tom's legal council

• 18,907 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,900 rep
>Call me to set up an interview for a full time job
>Tell me that surprise, the job is only 2 days a week

Fuck that, I'm not sure I'm gonna bother going to this shitty interview.
  • AlissaGoesRAWR and wood like this

Moriarty

Moriarty
  • Elton John

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2009
  • 785 rep

So after leaving my first main job, I've now discovered they have promoted my replacement despite the fact none of the staff seem to like him or find him of any use. They put him on a way higher pay scale than I could have hoped to achieved there and it just feels like a massive kick in the teeth after everything I did for that place. I put myself out regularly for them and got a pretty poor pay for it.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't about money, but it still hurts y'know? I left because I was bored of the job and needed to get away from somewhere that I had "learnt the rules" of the working world, but it feels really offensive to then give him more responsibilities despite how much they wanted me to stay.

Now I've since learnt they are also kitting out our old office there to make it up to date and give us desks (we were on workbenches that were left behind in the room). Just feels like they weren't willing to invest in me despite trying to get me to stay when I turned around and quit. Bastards.

lizziebix

lizziebix

• 22,781 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,399 rep

So after leaving my first main job, I've now discovered they have promoted my replacement despite the fact none of the staff seem to like him or find him of any use. They put him on a way higher pay scale than I could have hoped to achieved there and it just feels like a massive kick in the teeth after everything I did for that place. I put myself out regularly for them and got a pretty poor pay for it.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't about money, but it still hurts y'know? I left because I was bored of the job and needed to get away from somewhere that I had "learnt the rules" of the working world, but it feels really offensive to then give him more responsibilities despite how much they wanted me to stay.

Now I've since learnt they are also kitting out our old office there to make it up to date and give us desks (we were on workbenches that were left behind in the room). Just feels like they weren't willing to invest in me despite trying to get me to stay when I turned around and quit. Bastards.

I see this happen a lot. The person after you gets all the benefits and promotions you should have gotten. Not really sure why it happens but just know it's not you. It's the way of business sadly.
  • Moriarty likes this

Juliette

Juliette
  • Wanderlust

• 9,103 posts
  • Joined May 04, 2007
  • 1,124 rep

Now that I'm back from travelling I'm officially unemployed and it sucks. I need to keep reminding myself that I quit my job because I hated it and so that I'd have enough time to actually look for a 'real' job that I want to do, which I didn't have any time for before, but it's only been a couple of days & I already feel pretty shit about it.

Advertising

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • We're Coming Home Again

• 12,234 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,064 rep

yep. know that feeling. The girl my old boss hired after I left gets paid what my exit wage was, and is complete shit at the job. It really makes me mad, because I know I was really really good at what I did (still am) and it irks me to know that I was being paid the same as this failure of a human being :mad:

In other news, things have slowed down for me at this job. The environment is just so different, now that I've learned the office procedures and am familiar with the case load I'm not as busy. My old job was constant pressure, deadlines, too many cases, too little time, and things here are so chill, I don't quite know what to do with it! Not complaining though :P

• Moriarty likes this

Sausage Gravy

Sausage Gravy
  • kitten mittons

• 21,370 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2004
  • 8,396 rep
today was my day off and i got called in which is a little annoying but it's only for two hours so i guess i can't complain too much :P

really liking the job so far though! i have a lot more responsibility than i did at sears and i'm running the store on my own most of the time but it's not super fast paced and it's really low stress, which is a nice change working in retail. and i'm learning so much about medical supplies and scrubs :lol:

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Hash Slinging Slasher

• 6,527 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 4,782 rep

My boss OK'd me leaving early Thursday to go to a concert... I didn't doubt he'd let me go, but getting the official OK is all I need to get me through this Monday! Success!  :yay:

lizziebix

lizziebix

• 22,781 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,399 rep
Waiting for someone else to finish their work that was due an hour ago so I can make copies for the board meeting tonight. And it's past 5. I should have left by now.
Why can't people do the work they are supposed to add on time? This is so not fair.

Sausage Gravy

Sausage Gravy
  • kitten mittons

• 21,370 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2004
  • 8,396 rep
i am much less pleased that now i also have to work all day on my day off sunday which leaves me with only friday off this week :(

wood

wood
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 646 rep
The new, prettyprettyprettyyyyyy editor is resigning already. Leaving me in quite the predicament. In December, I will be the editor of seven magazines at once. That's (generously) a five person job. Y'all think I can handle it?

Trotsky

Trotsky
  • I sought my image in the scorching glass

• 29,334 posts
  • Joined Sep 23, 2006
  • 7,523 rep

Starting a 3 month temp call center job in November. Yay money.

Moriarty

Moriarty
  • Elton John

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2009
  • 785 rep

I see this happen a lot. The person after you gets all the benefits and promotions you should have gotten. Not really sure why it happens but just know it's not you. It's the way of business sadly.

Yeah, since it's happened I've heard it's common. Things like "they're keen not to repeat their mistakes again so they look after them better". They were laying people off left, right and center when I left (which for a school, is bad) so I never asked for any more as I was aware they had no money. But apparently so! But thanks Mar :)

yep. know that feeling. The girl my old boss hired after I left gets paid what my exit wage was, and is complete shit at the job. It really makes me mad, because I know I was really really good at what I did (still am) and it irks me to know that I was being paid the same as this failure of a human being :mad:

In other news, things have slowed down for me at this job. The environment is just so different, now that I've learned the office procedures and am familiar with the case load I'm not as busy. My old job was constant pressure, deadlines, too many cases, too little time, and things here are so chill, I don't quite know what to do with it! Not complaining though :P

That's exactly my feeling, why does a waste of space get the same as me, somebody who went out of their way to get shit done! Okay at times the job had a lot of downtime but I'd always be working on ideas in my head for new things.

On your other news, it's nice when you overcome that new feeling and start to dig your little space in and put your flag up. I like that, for me though it means I've got busier as I've seen through the niceness and now it's all fixing problems that have been covered over! Glad you're not as pressured at this place, must be relieving!

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,940 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,720 rep

A group of about five or six of the girls from two of my classes have taken up residence outside of the office and all look in and giggle and wave at me over lunch time. Everyone in the office have taken to calling them 'Tom's Harem' and they all keep pouting and waving at me in the office while I'm talking to someone because they think they're being funny. 

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • We're Coming Home Again

• 12,234 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,064 rep

Just did a victory lap around my office because something I've been working really hard on for the past few weeks came together for me :dance:

I'm extremely professional.

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • chase that disco ball around

• 13,482 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,411 rep

A group of about five or six of the girls from two of my classes have taken up residence outside of the office and all look in and giggle and wave at me over lunch time. Everyone in the office have taken to calling them 'Tom's Harem' and they all keep pouting and waving at me in the office while I'm talking to someone because they think they're being funny. 

...how old are they?

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 6,940 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,720 rep

...how old are they?

16-18.

ThisIsNotNora

ThisIsNotNora
  • The Lobby Girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,518 posts
  • Joined Jul 24, 2010
  • 2,726 rep
So basically I've started working at McDonald's last year and it's actually not that bad :P
There's not many jobs for people my age around here, so I basically applied to everything I could.
Eventually I got a job at the place I wanted the least, but it turned out to be quite alright.
I have wonderful co-workers and the money is actually very good.
Too bad the costumers are horrible :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users