Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Work Thread

• Please log in to reply
3196 replies to this topic

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,575 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,410 rep

yeah, we get time and a half on sundays, which is probably the only reason anyone wants to work sundays since it's a complete shitshow there on the weekends half the time 

I used to work in a job where it was pretty good standard pay anyway (considering it was a part time/summer job), but we got paid double for working on Sundays and triple for working bank holidays. Loved it!

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 14,139 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,449 rep

just apply at a costco :P i may hate my job sometimes and dread going to work from time to time... but for retail work, $16/hr is nothing to scoff at. and i'm not even top scale either. there's cashiers and lot attendants there that make <$60,000 a year 

Jeez. A costco just opened up near me a few months back. I'll definitely try them next year when I start putting in applications again

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • i am groot

• 26,688 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 7,208 rep
Gunna look into part time jobs while I'm at uni. I feel useless at the moment just being an unemployed dollop of adult sitting on my parents sofa all day. Once I'm actually learning things again it'll be lots different but I just really want to work again I guess.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,781 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,534 rep

I like my new Mondays. Lots of time to plan and prepare. I'm equal parts delighted and concerned I only have 16 of my 22 teaching ours in class. It's amazing having the rest of the time to prepare, but when those hours do eventually get full it'll be a right culture shock. Good to be back in the swing of things though. Two hours of classes later to ease into things. 

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Tomnomnom's Publicist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,932 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 4,188 rep

It printed, and it's so perfect! I got a text from the girl I featured this morning, telling me that the story made her cry... in a good way, of course. So happy!  :dance:

And even better — our commenters (aside from just a few) have been overwhelmingly positive! Crazy! :runaround:

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Ringleader of the Tormentors

• 13,717 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,269 rep
Where I fall down on applications/interviews is when I'm asked "why do you want to work for [famously awful retail store]" or whatever. Somehow I don't think it'd go down too well if I said "because the economy is fucked, I can't find anything else, I'm utterly desperate, and I need money to stay alive until I can get the break I need to pursue my pipe dream Mickey Mouse career." When you don't fit into the general demographic of a company's current employees/customers it's hard to know what to say.
  • Stacie Anne and Certified Nimrod like this

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Tomnomnom's Publicist

• 5,932 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 4,188 rep

Where I fall down on applications/interviews is when I'm asked "why do you want to work for [famously awful retail store]" or whatever. Somehow I don't think it'd go down too well if I said "because the economy is fucked, I can't find anything else, I'm utterly desperate, and I need money to stay alive until I can get the break I need to pursue my pipe dream Mickey Mouse career." When you don't fit into the general demographic of a company's current employees/customers it's hard to know what to say.

That's another instance where (unfortunately) you have to lie. You have to act like you have a shit ton of background information on the place and you've been studying it for months just desperately waiting for something to pop up so you can work there. Aside from the obvious answers like "job experience" or "I heard from so-and-so that it's a great environment to work," etc., you need to show you've at least looked into the place a bit. 

For example, in my career, they always tell you to look up the big stories the paper has been covering (we all have our hot topics, so to speak) and reference those in your interview. Like, "oh, I saw you're covering the ongoing corruption in the police department... those stories were really great, blah blah blah..." Basically, employers will be more likely to hire you if you toot their horn for them.

• Not Anyone. likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • Ringleader of the Tormentors

• 13,717 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 14,269 rep

That's another instance where (unfortunately) you have to lie. You have to act like you have a shit ton of background information on the place and you've been studying it for months just desperately waiting for something to pop up so you can work there. Aside from the obvious answers like "job experience" or "I heard from so-and-so that it's a great environment to work," etc., you need to show you've at least looked into the place a bit. 

For example, in my career, they always tell you to look up the big stories the paper has been covering (we all have our hot topics, so to speak) and reference those in your interview. Like, "oh, I saw you're covering the ongoing corruption in the police department... those stories were really great, blah blah blah..." Basically, employers will be more likely to hire you if you toot their horn for them.

Thanks for that, it makes sense! But it seems to be more applicable to "real" jobs or whatever. I got my job at B&Q after telling the interviewer "I just have a passion for selling paint brushes" and she found it funny.
  • Certified Nimrod likes this

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton
  • Head of Tom's legal council

• 18,496 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,616 rep

"100 isn't considered a fever" fuck you, I feel like ass and I'm coughing up yellow-green stuff.

I hate this job and I can't wait to quit.

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Tomnomnom's Publicist

• 5,932 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 4,188 rep

Thanks for that, it makes sense! But it seems to be more applicable to "real" jobs or whatever. I got my job at B&Q after telling the interviewer "I just have a passion for selling paint brushes" and she found it funny.

I think for other, less career-ish jobs you have to focus on what skills you think translate well into the job for which you're applying. Even if it's something as simple as working well with the public, or being organized, for example. For jobs where they know upfront that you're probably not making a career out of it, you can frame as you want to spend a few years getting a good foundation for a future job in "insert career here," and you think the starting job will be a good way to further develop your skill set in the mean time.

My God, I sound like a public relations person. Ew.

• Not Anyone. likes this

gdpony

gdpony
  • Anna Molly

• 10,544 posts
  • Joined Oct 10, 2009
  • 1,226 rep

If you really need a job, you'll have to settle for anything.

I spent six months without a job, and I was going insane. I applied for anything, teaching positions, call centers, retail and just about anything I thought I'd be able to do. I have a degree in Computer Science Engineering, so I was "overqualified" for these jobs, but I honestly didn't care. Thank God I found a job career related, but I wouldn't mind doing something else, a job is a job.

• Not Anyone. likes this

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • chase that disco ball around

• 13,252 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,306 rep
Quitting after the next schedule. I don't have a choice, it's going to be way too much for me to worry about everything school related and commuting to school and commuting to work.

Already told my manager I can really only work Sundays and Mondays and that he can schedule me for Saturdays but I might not be able to come in.

So sad to be leaving but I have to.

Hayley

Hayley
  • yolo

• 11,764 posts
  • Joined Apr 24, 2006
  • 716 rep

OMG my favourite art supply store is hiring. Totally applying tonight. I have always wanted to work there so I'm hoping I have a chance. I would even quit my job I just got like a month ago :P

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,223 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,076 rep

OMG my favourite art supply store is hiring. Totally applying tonight. I have always wanted to work there so I'm hoping I have a chance. I would even quit my job I just got like a month ago :P

Hope you get it!

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,575 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,410 rep

Flying out for my interview today. The interview is tomorrow but I've got all those jitters now anyway. Surprisingly confident though!

Advertising

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,223 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,076 rep

Flying out for my interview today. The interview is tomorrow but I've got all those jitters now anyway. Surprisingly confident though!

Good luck, Ste! *fingers crossed*

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 5,912 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 3,935 rep

Good luck Stephen!

So I'm not really sure where to put this, it's a work-related issue but it doesn't involve me, it's to do with coworkers from my old job. Anyways, one of the girls I used to work with has been texting me telling me one of the assistant managers there has been verbally sexually harassing her. Saying stuff like "you haven't experienced the d until you've had the black d", "I'd love to eat you out", "you have a nice ass", "you look extremely hot today"... ect, and every single time she's told him to stop because it makes her uncomfortable, yet he keeps persisting. I told her to go straight to HR, but this guy hangs out with pretty shady people outside of work and she's afraid that he would do something to her outside of work if she told them, as this could potentially get him fired. So we thought that she could call HR, but tell them to say it came from an outsider viewer (as he does it in front of staff all the time) and then he wouldn't know who told. Has anyone been in a situation like this before? I honestly feel so bad for this girl, she always gets taken advantage of because she's too nice and doesn't like to hurt anyone's feelings (specifically why he's targeting her, he knows what she's like). 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users