Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The Work Thread

• Please log in to reply
3028 replies to this topic

Angela.

Angela.
  • Jesus of Pittsburghia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,727 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2009
  • 478 rep

I cannot handle being at the register when little kids come through. I feel like I could puke every time they hand me an item with their slobber on it, or when spit rolls down their mouth. It makes me sick to my stomach. I cannot handle when they cry or do obnoxious things. This girl came into the store last week, blowing into a recorder. You could hear her halfway across the store. The mother eventually came up to the register with the girl and asked how I was doing. I responded with, "Headache, and yourself?" She apologized about the recorder and finally took it from the girl.

I've been looking (and applying) for a number of jobs. I haven't heard anything back. Something has to work out soon. The odds of finding anything full-time with benefits are slim to none.

• The Disappearing Boy likes this

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,730 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,801 rep

I cannot handle being at the register when little kids come through. I feel like I could puke every time they hand me an item with their slobber on it, or when spit rolls down their mouth. It makes me sick to my stomach. I cannot handle when they cry or do obnoxious things. This girl came into the store last week, blowing into a recorder. You could hear her halfway across the store. The mother eventually came up to the register with the girl and asked how I was doing. I responded with, "Headache, and yourself?" She apologized about the recorder and finally took it from the girl.

I've been looking (and applying) for a number of jobs. I haven't heard anything back. Something has to work out soon. The odds of finding anything full-time with benefits are slim to none.

I was exactly the same when I worked in the supermarket. I also always had something with me to clean my hands after having touched something a little kid had touched before. It sounds horrible, but I just couldn't handle it. And don't get me started on crying babies... I thought that if your baby is crying, you either make it stop or leave the shop. But nope, there were customers who just ignored the crying and did their usual shopping while their kid could be heard through the whole shop. So yeah, I totally get what you mean.

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 17,890 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,824 rep

Well, there's this cookie chain that's in one of the malls around here and one of my old friends from colleges mom knows the store manager there.  Well apparently word traveled about me and now they want my resume so I can become manager.

I haven't gotten an interview yet or anything, but I did send in my resume. 

Thanks! :hug:

Free sugar rushes, hell yeah!

Literally why do recorders even exist I s2g

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton
  • Head of Tom's legal council

• 18,050 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,401 rep

I feel like so many laws (and dignities) were violated in this single act. Did you report it or...?

This is a resident that can express dislike for something if she wants to and she was laughing outrageously at this whole thing. She really didn't seem to have a problem with it.

We are allowed to mess around with the residents if they're okay with it and as long as we don't yell at them/abuse them otherwise, and this one is okay with goofing off.

I was surprised when I first started working there at the kinda stuff coworkers said to the residents too. Like, my first week the person who was training me stuck her head into a resident's room and said "Hey Helen, you shit yourself again?" And I was so shocked until the resident started laughing and returned the banter.

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 1,035 rep
I got my little pack through the door officially confirming my job! I have 3 inductions to do, 23 hours altogether! just thinking of the money tbh :P I get paid £6.58 until my probation is up, goes up again after to £6.70 an hour. If I manage to stick around until my 21st in January it might go up again :lol:
Got lots of bumf about the company and a DVD to watch. It all feels real now haha.

AlissaGoesRAWR

AlissaGoesRAWR
  • Tomnomnom's Publicist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,773 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2012
  • 4,048 rep

This is a resident that can express dislike for something if she wants to and she was laughing outrageously at this whole thing. She really didn't seem to have a problem with it.

We are allowed to mess around with the residents if they're okay with it and as long as we don't yell at them/abuse them otherwise, and this one is okay with goofing off.

I was surprised when I first started working there at the kinda stuff coworkers said to the residents too. Like, my first week the person who was training me stuck her head into a resident's room and said "Hey Helen, you shit yourself again?" And I was so shocked until the resident started laughing and returned the banter.

I've never heard of a place like that before! I guess in some ways that ~personal touch~ is better than treating them like a bunch of captive animals, right? (I've heard some bad stories about nursing homes... sad stuff.) I guess I was just a little confused by your initial post, because I overlooked the part where the resident was laughing. To each his/her own, I suppose. I just think I'd never be able to act that way toward a patient I was responsible for taking care of, if I was in that position. :P

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton

• 18,050 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,401 rep

I've never heard of a place like that before! I guess in some ways that ~personal touch~ is better than treating them like a bunch of captive animals, right? (I've heard some bad stories about nursing homes... sad stuff.) I guess I was just a little confused by your initial post, because I overlooked the part where the resident was laughing. To each his/her own, I suppose. I just think I'd never be able to act that way toward a patient I was responsible for taking care of, if I was in that position. :P

Working with death everyday, we gotta amuse ourselves somehow :P

She-Loves-Him

She-Loves-Him
  • Have you seen my bear Tibbers?

• 13,124 posts
  • Joined Mar 05, 2006
  • 2,255 rep
One of my three year regulars just came in and it's probably the last time I'll help him and he have me a hug and a kiss on the cheek and said I'm his favourite and he'll miss me and now I'm all teared up at work

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,002 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 5,963 rep

Applied for a job with another affiliate of my ex-company's parent company.  Wonder if having worked indirectly for the parent company will help or hurt me?

Also, send out an application and the response email had someone else's name on it!  If this is the person they hired for the position, they are BIG trouble!  :lol:

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 4,696 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 3,823 rep

Came home complaining about how they're taking the piss with hours because I'm only supposed to be working part-time, but then my dad phoned and told me about his nightmare day and now I feel bad about it. When I think about it, I'm in such a lucky position to be able to work extra. I need to shut up and remember it's all money in bank.

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 5,864 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 3,903 rep

Back to work tomorrow. Going to be completely exhausted but I want to load up on my hours before I go back to school next Thursday, as I'll only be working 13.5 hours a week once school starts. Looking forward to seeing my coworkers!

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,593 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 3,999 rep

i started as cashier at a&w fast food today and its fun :) and in 3h i had 5$ tip which is pretty cool so yah :happy:

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 17,890 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,824 rep

I don't have to go in until noon tomorrow hell yes

Angela.

Angela.
  • Jesus of Pittsburghia

• 8,727 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2009
  • 478 rep

I was exactly the same when I worked in the supermarket. I also always had something with me to clean my hands after having touched something a little kid had touched before. It sounds horrible, but I just couldn't handle it. And don't get me started on crying babies... I thought that if your baby is crying, you either make it stop or leave the shop. But nope, there were customers who just ignored the crying and did their usual shopping while their kid could be heard through the whole shop. So yeah, I totally get what you mean.

You would think that parents would remove the child from the store if they were crying or having a tantrum, but nope. That's too much effort.

Literally why do recorders even exist I s2g

I love everything about this post, 10/10.

So I switched my availability around at work. For the past two years, I've done almost exclusively evening shifts. I wanted a change. It's difficult to make plans when you always come into work at the time that others get out of work. So I'm trying out morning shifts from now on. Hopefully it'll be a nice change.

Laura Rose

Laura Rose
  • Insert something clever here...

• 7,394 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2009
  • 827 rep

Morning shifts are the best, I think.  You get up and go right to work and get it over with.  I used to work constant morning shifts, it made it so easy to plan to do things with friends or family.  Now, I work some evenings, and it makes it so difficult, especially since they don't get our schedule finalized until the Friday before.

Advertising

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 18,756 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 864 rep

Morning shifts are the best, I think.  You get up and go right to work and get it over with.  I used to work constant morning shifts, it made it so easy to plan to do things with friends or family.  Now, I work some evenings, and it makes it so difficult, especially since they don't get our schedule finalized until the Friday before.

Agreed! 

I hate working evenings and nights. 

Kaddi.

Kaddi.
  • Hello stranger, I'm a disaster.

• 13,730 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2006
  • 1,801 rep
I like/don't like both. :lol: Some days, it seems better to go in early and get over with it. Others, sleeping till 10am and slowly getting ready for work is way more appealing. Luckily, I can come in whenever I want, so I can always have it exactly the way I prefer it. :happy:

Cat C

Cat C
  • Criminal of Thought

• 4,696 posts
  • Joined Oct 11, 2010
  • 3,823 rep

I hear ya! Plus the shift always seems to go quicker if you start early. It ruins the the whole day if you're in late.

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,002 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 5,963 rep
Just had another- love your resume and qualifications. Will pass it on to the people that actually make the hiring decisions.
And so I wait some more for yet another possible call back.

wood

wood
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Joined Mar 04, 2014
  • 545 rep

Bosses legit made me drink a ton of sangria at a work lunch. Now, I'm buzzed and I cannot concentrate.

• Cath likes this

Lindsay

Lindsay
  • Tittysprinkles

• 5,864 posts
  • Joined Mar 08, 2010
  • 3,903 rep

I used to prefer evening shifts, but working all morning shifts this summer has made me change my mind. Yeah, you have to get up early, but then you have the whole evening to do things and relax. Plus you get used to waking up early anyways. :P And having weekends off has been the greatest thing ever! 

IlariaIDIOT

IlariaIDIOT
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2010
  • 451 rep

Is there anyone here who work at theme park or similar? 
I'd like to know some info about the warwick castle, even if it's not "a theme park"  :lol:

Moriarty

Moriarty
  • Elton John

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Joined May 05, 2009
  • 721 rep

Is there anyone here who work at theme park or similar? 
I'd like to know some info about the warwick castle, even if it's not "a theme park"  :lol:

my friend just quit his job there after 3 and a half years. he did all kinds of jobs when he was there and generally enjoyed it.

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 17,890 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 4,824 rep

My problem with early shifts is that I just crash hardcore after them. I have no energy to do anything after them, because my brain just cannot handle waking up early. So, while, technically I do have a whole evening ahead of me, it's usually a whole evening of sleeping. =/

Laura Rose

Laura Rose

• 7,394 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2009
  • 827 rep

Last night at work I did a usual thing and helped out a customer at the service desk because management thought it was necessary to send 3 of my cashiers back to a meeting. :mad: Anyways, this lady was praising me because of it saying that I literally, "saved her," because she didn't have to wait in line.  So she took down my name and what I do and is going to call my store director.  It kinda made my night, you don't really see people who appreciate what you do, in the retail world, anymore.

IlariaIDIOT

IlariaIDIOT
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,451 posts
  • Joined Sep 17, 2010
  • 451 rep

my friend just quit his job there after 3 and a half years. he did all kinds of jobs when he was there and generally enjoyed it.

It's great they have all kinds of job: from the guide to the customer 
Do you know how your friend got the job? 

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,133 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 6,925 rep
so due to how good I've been doing in my temp new store, the guy running the merchandising project I'm doing has offered me more work on his next project!! it's a bit further away, but it's next month and will give me loads of overtime so yay! this is awesome. sadly he has no projects for a while after that but still, I'm starting somewhere! :D
I've also asked the manager of the store I'm in about transferring there for a merchandising/warehouse role and he's gunna look info it for me, see if he has any vacancies. it may be a no but I can be hopeful right! :happy:
  • lizziebix likes this

Laura Rose

Laura Rose

• 7,394 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2009
  • 827 rep

I just had my manager come to me and say she's going to go off on another co-worker because she was bitching to other people (including me) about not getting any weekends off.  What's sad is that it's her "best friend" that told our manager she's been bitching.  Ugh, I hate the drama in that place.  You think you can tell people things, but then it gets around to our manager, who is now more pissed off than I've ever seen her.  Also, the coworker that's going to get yelled at is one I'm really close with at work.

And apparently she was bitching that I always get one weekend day off, which my manager is also going to yell at her about saying I do enough around there to deserve a weekend day.  Ugh, when I took the "promotion" I never expected it to go this far.  I'm starting to regret taking the position. :(

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton

• 18,050 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,401 rep

So we just got our first resident who only speaks Spanish. This should be interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users