Guest Pikachu

The Work Thread

lizziebix

WooHoo! Two months in and hubby got a raise! Every extra "penny" is going to help us keep afloat! (Don;t actually know how much yet, though!) ;)

• Like 2

Khaleesi.

I spoke to my manager about getting less hours so I could keep up with classes and my schoolwork. Check my schedule, I have 40 hours next week. Thanks.

uhleckseee

I finally did it. I quit my horrible retail supervisor job. I'm not out yet, but I've given a 4-week notice and my last day is October 7th. I decided on a 4-week notice because if I gave a 2-week notice, my other supervisors who I love dearly would be screwed over and would have to work 6 days a week until they find a replacement. So I want to give everyone enough time to find somebody and promote them and at least start training to take over my position when I leave.

I just couldn't take that job anymore. Due to the stress of that place (among other things) I've lost 12 lbs unintentionally (aka: not healthily) in the past month or so. I also NEED to concentrate on school. I'm a Senior in college and I need to do shit that I can't do while holding down a part-time job that milks your hours up to what's allowed by law. 32.5 hours per week is considered full-time, but since I'm part time I get barely over 30 hours a week. So I'm almost full-time, basically, and with a full-time school schedule, I can't do it anymore.

I have enough saved up to last me a good couple of months. I figure I'm gonna take a month or two completely off from job searching just to regain focus, but as for work, I'm going to be jobless for the first time in almost 4 years. It's actually insanely exciting and scaring the shit out of me at the same time...

fiercecircus

Uhlecksee! Im so fucking proud of you!!! You are going to be so much happier and healthier! Congrats :-)

• Like 1

uhleckseee

Thanks! :D Now I won't have to bombard this thread anymore with my complaints from retail-hell ;)

Mar

I am so fucked.

I work for a newspaper, and my fellow copy editor and I made a fuckup on the front page and throughout the article the front teased to. Gotye's name. I said "Is that really how it's spelled?" and my coworker hadn't heard of him so she queued up the video on her computer (I didn't have a computer with me) and she checked it on the proof as OK. I thought that was weird/wrong (it said "Goyte"), but I thought she said it was right. I don't know if she assumed I figured I was wrong and didn't check it again, idk. But what's gonna happen is, my editor's going to flip (rightfully so, it's embarrassing), we're both going to try to assign blame to each other (me, I'll say she had the video queued up but still didn't see it was wrong, she'll say I should have fought harder for her to check it and that I should have a computer with me) and my editor will scream at us (which I don't take well, I'm a crier when I get yelled at, because I have the emotional maturity of a 5-year-old), and he may suspend us both or fire us. Which is just what I need ... 23 years old and I already have a TERMINATION on my resume. And money's about to get tight in my family, I need mine.

Honestly, my career choice is stupid ... striving for perfection was fine when I was in school and the only person affected by my fuckups was me. Now? Everyone's affected and more's at stake than a bad grade. I'm an idiot.

SO THAT FUCKING GOTYE SONG CAN NOW BURN IN A THOUSAND HELLS BECAUSE IT'S GOING TO CREATE SO MANY PROBLEMS FOR ME

Penguin Puffball

Good God my route takes forever.

Undómiel

Urgh. So I booked these three days off as holiday (yesterday, today and tomorrow) and my work has called 5 times already, asking whether I could work. I've been avoiding their calls but I just picked one up by accident asking if I could work tonight. I said no, because I've booked it off as holiday, where I technically could. I'm supposed to be going out tonight in town, but I'm going to feel bad having turned down work if I see the person who called me... does that make sense?!

FML.

colour_me_stupid_

I wouldn't worry too much Bryony, it's their responsibility to check if people have booked time off when they do the roster.

Although, if I actually liked my job, I might feel the same way as you do now if I was in that situation :lol:

My level of caring has dropped shockingly low. Something about knowing you can't be fired because they're short staffed and just being so sick of it has just blended itself into a bad combination :P Today was good though. 2 tours, eating breakfast within half an hour of each other. It was fine, because the 2nd tour didn't show up early and leave us short tables like they did yesterday. Silly French.

Undómiel

I wouldn't worry too much Bryony, it's their responsibility to check if people have booked time off when they do the roster.

Although, if I actually liked my job, I might feel the same way as you do now if I was in that situation :lol:

That's what my dad said. It's more a fear of wanting to keep my job actually... I leave for uni in 10 days and I want to come back at Christmas, if they thought I wasn't obliging enough they might not let me.

BUT I BOOKED IT AS HOLIDAY FUCKERS... if I was down in Shropshire (the original plan) I wouldn't have been able to work either... *grumbles*

Rianne

Whooooohooo! Had my interview to be an au pair this morning, it went great! All I have to to is a few last changes to my online file! Then my file will go online, and host families can contact me! I'm so excited!!! :dance:

fiercecircus

Getting terminated isnt the end of the world. Seriously. You can still get jobs. Yes, sometimes you have to lie about it, but eventually it wont matter anymore. At least, not for good jobs.

AlissaGoesRAWR

Honestly, my career choice is stupid ... striving for perfection was fine when I was in school and the only person affected by my fuckups was me. Now? Everyone's affected and more's at stake than a bad grade. I'm an idiot.

SO THAT FUCKING GOTYE SONG CAN NOW BURN IN A THOUSAND HELLS BECAUSE IT'S GOING TO CREATE SO MANY PROBLEMS FOR ME

No, it's not stupid! Us stupid reporters need you to help fix our mistakes!

I'm sure your boss will be reasonable. I mean, it's not like you injected the mistake into the page, you just "didn't see it," as far as he/she knows. But you DO see a shit ton of mistakes daily and fix them, which I'm sure he/she will consider.

I love all copy editors. I just want to give them hugs. Their jobs are so stressful. :hug:

A song for the lovers

I'm in the milk factory right now and I'm gonna go to other city, don't know why but I don't care :)

kaylubd

Some guy at work today threw a hissy fit over the fact that there was no more diet moutain dew. He walked into the kitchen and said "GASP! RUDE!"

A song for the lovers

I am now working in the warehouse and there is no fan! I'm sweating like a pig

Beathe.

I work this weekend at the hospital. I haven't worked since the begining off August, I'm not looking forward to it.

greendaygal89

i work in a preschool/afterschool club with kids aged between 2-11

love it but its hard work

Mar

Well, I'm gonna guess no one told my boss about our fuckup. Even if he wasn't in the mood to can us, he'd still yell at us about it. And I'm just gonna hope no one brings it to his attention :lol:

A song for the lovers

I didnt do anything today, I can't believe I got paid for it! Talking about paid, I need to take my sallery

lizziebix

Well, I'm gonna guess no one told my boss about our fuckup. Even if he wasn't in the mood to can us, he'd still yell at us about it. And I'm just gonna hope no one brings it to his attention :lol:

And I bet he doesn't know it's wrong because the way you spelled actually seems the more logical way of spelling it! :)

Lindsay

We had a shoplifter last night. It all happened very quickly so I wasn't sure how to react. I was up at cash ringing people through and this guy was just walking out so I paid no attention to him until he beeped going out the door. I looked and him and he looked at me and he was like "SHIT!" and just bolted for it. For a second I was there like... wut just happened and then I was like AWE SHIT. I called my manager after and he was like "ohhh why didn't you try to stop him?" At first I felt bad but then I thought about it... what the fuck could I have done to stop him? He was about 5'9/5'10, I'm 5'2, even if I had been able to catch up to him what would I have done/said? I'm not going to risk myself getting hurt over a couple pairs of shoes, especially for a job that doesn't pay me nearly more than I deserve. /rantover.

Nmd

We had a shoplifter last night. It all happened very quickly so I wasn't sure how to react. I was up at cash ringing people through and this guy was just walking out so I paid no attention to him until he beeped going out the door. I looked and him and he looked at me and he was like "SHIT!" and just bolted for it. For a second I was there like... wut just happened and then I was like AWE SHIT. I called my manager after and he was like "ohhh why didn't you try to stop him?" At first I felt bad but then I thought about it... what the fuck could I have done to stop him? He was about 5'9/5'10, I'm 5'2, even if I had been able to catch up to him what would I have done/said? I'm not going to risk myself getting hurt over a couple pairs of shoes, especially for a job that doesn't pay me nearly more than I deserve. /rantover.

Exactly for this reason, we're not allowed to stop people who keep walking after beeping on their way out. We have very strict rules about what we can do and say to suspected shoplifters. At the end of the day, our company would rather lose a pair of jeans than to have an employee be hurt or have someone wrongly accused.

fiercecircus

Exactly for this reason, we're not allowed to stop people who keep walking after beeping on their way out. We have very strict rules about what we can do and say to suspected shoplifters. At the end of the day, our company would rather lose a pair of jeans than to have an employee be hurt or have someone wrongly accused.

Truth. At the mall there wasn't a lot we could do. And the hassles involved with actually prosecuting someone are just not worth it. You didn't hear it from me!!!

She-Loves-Him

Ugh one girl from work told me a few days ago that I could come in both Saturday and Sunday, but I got an email from the one more in charge than the other saying they already had a lot of people in for Saturday so I could only come in Sunday. I hate it when one person tells me one thing and someone else tells me another, I was really looking forward to the money from two days of work and now I'm only going to get half.

Also I'm losing my Saturday shift to people who are working regularly. I'm coming in a few weekends here and there, so why can't I have those shifts? Give them a Saturday off instead of a Thursday or something. It doesn't make sense.