Guest Pikachu

The Work Thread

Penguin Puffball

My mom found an opening for a paper route nearby that pays JUST ENOUGH for me to pay for karate each month and put gas in my car. I called right away. HALLELUJAH!

Jaymee!!

Whyyyy did I agree to double my shift on a Saturday when it's SO FUCKING BUSY. All I've heard all day today is kids literally screaming at each other, while the parents decide on which outfit is cuter for them. No. It's not cute. It's annoying. Pay attention to your fucking children.

Uggh back to maning the store I go!

fiercecircus

Whyyyy did I agree to double my shift on a Saturday when it's SO FUCKING BUSY. All I've heard all day today is kids literally screaming at each other, while the parents decide on which outfit is cuter for them. No. It's not cute. It's annoying. Pay attention to your fucking children.

Uggh back to maning the store I go!

OH MY GOD. we were at target the other night, and i had forgotten it was back to school time. HOLY SHIT were some of those kids nasty to their parents. I mean, really fucking flat out nasty. Don't get me wrong, i was nasty to my mom too but god damn. I mean you hear kids be nasty and snotty all the time... but this one girl (who couldn't have been more than 9 or 10) was seriously a horrible human being.

(of course, she probably learned it from her mom in the first place.)

but, temper tantrums all around. Yeesh.

Undómiel

I was at work 'til 2.30am yesterday (this morning) and I'm back in at 2pm today... by law you have to have 11 hours off in between shifts... they're cutting it a bit fine this time! We were so busy yesterday it was insanity; pay day saturday and also the last week before most uni students go back... it was mental!

Lindsay

Work was sooooo busy today. Like, almost Boxing Day busy. Seems like everyone woke up and was like "OMG WE HAVE TO BUY SHOES FOR SCHOOL TOMORROW!" Store looked like a fucking disaster, was so done when I left.

Jaymee!!

I was at work 'til 2.30am yesterday (this morning) and I'm back in at 2pm today... by law you have to have 11 hours off in between shifts... they're cutting it a bit fine this time! We were so busy yesterday it was insanity; pay day saturday and also the last week before most uni students go back... it was mental!

My work ignores this law on a daily basis. A lot of the time, we have the same staff working the closing shift and then opening the next morning. I can't count how many times I've finished work at 10pm and gone back in for 7am. Eventually it wasn't so bad, since I live literally across the street from the mall now. But a year ago it was a 30 minute bus ride, so I'd be home around 10:45 and have to wake up again at 5:30.

I'm really excited to go back in tomorrow morning and have it be DEAD. School's back, so it's back to just the moms and the babies for the majority of the day! Good times.

Khaleesi.

Yeah, Costco ignores that law quite often. For a couple months I was scheduled till 10pm, then was back in at 8am the next morning... it blew. Especially since it was Friday night/Saturday morning, haha.

Also, tomorrow's gonna be ridiculous. People freak out when the store's closed for one day... so all weekend was hectic with back to school/leaving for the weekend/stocking up cause Costco's closed for one god damn day shoppers. Tomorrow's not gonna be any better, especially now that all the seasons had their last day yesterday and most of the students have gone back to school... yey.

Hayley

Save-On Foods tried to avoid doing that as much as they could but I ended up working until 10:15 pm and then coming back at 8:00 am, bleh.

I still haven't found a job since living in Vancouver :S I've applied to sooo many places and I have an excellent resume. Someone hire me, I have rent to pay!

gdpony

I miss having job, I think it was a bad idea to quit :/

Four.

jfdhgbdfg. I am hired! I got the job, and I'm starting the weekend!

So happy!

lizziebix

jfdhgbdfg. I am hired! I got the job, and I'm starting the weekend!

So happy!

Congrats!

Iain

I'm self–employed as a Web Designer and Developer. You should check out a site I helped create called A Student's Guide to Web Design as an example; you'll learn a trick or two on making your own web portfolio. ;-)

I'll post my portfolio when it's done and you can take a whiff of my awesome geekery.

http://studentguidewebdesign.com

Lindsay

Had a mental breakdown at work today, ended up crying in the backroom for half an hour, so embarrassing. :lol: Funny now that it's over but at the time it was just... ugh. Customers were rude, the store was a disaster, it was busy, and I had to close tonight so everything just kinda made me blow up. My manager saw I looked stressed and asked me if I was okay and I just burst into tears. Had a really good talk with him after though, he didn't judge me at all which was nice and made me feel a lot better. He's not nearly as much as a douche as I thought he was. :happy:

Radioactive1

Is that really the law? I work 4pm-10pm, then back in at 8am-4pm, then i have 2 days off, then 4pm-10pm and then 8am-4pm, then two days off etc

All the shifts at our work go like that. Hmm.

Kaddi.

Had a mental breakdown at work today, ended up crying in the backroom for half an hour, so embarrassing. :lol: Funny now that it's over but at the time it was just... ugh. Customers were rude, the store was a disaster, it was busy, and I had to close tonight so everything just kinda made me blow up. My manager saw I looked stressed and asked me if I was okay and I just burst into tears. Had a really good talk with him after though, he didn't judge me at all which was nice and made me feel a lot better. He's not nearly as much as a douche as I thought he was. :happy:

Been there. :hug: This had happened to me more than once at my old job when it was super busy, customers were rude and something else happened that upset me. Most of the time I managed to hide somewhere until I was okay again, because crying at work is so embarrassing. :lol:

Holly

At our interview for my security job we had to sign an agreement stating we agree that all those rules don't apply to us.. :dry: I've done a sixteen hour shift before with one 10 minute break and one toilet break, to then start my next shift four hours later. I also regularly start work 5:30am Saturday and work straight through until 11:30pm Sunday, so 42 hours? which is actually three seperate shifts despite my only break being travelling between the different venues. I've got loads of these booked in for the next month, as well as doing a shift almost every day and night for over a week solid whilst also having to go to uni when I'm not at work. I'm terrified cause it often makes me feel so shit and ill, but I'm far too poor to turn down a single shift.

I finished my job today that my boss had given me back whilst I've been home for summer. He said to go see him when I'm back for Christmas and he'll be able to give me some shifts :D So sounds like I'm sorted for having a job in Lincolnshire until I finish uni and get a real job. I've been working there for over four years now and it's such a great place to work, I'm so happy they're gonna keep asking me back. :wub:

A song for the lovers

Today I worked so hard. I smoked and play Sims all day

Penguin Puffball

I got the job. Only a half hour per day, every day, and a decent amount of money. Woop.

Isabel

Was bringing in trolley with baskets back to the checkouts in work today, when my supervisor came over and started discussing breaks with me, explaining that we'd need to make sure we took them at a certain time when it's not too busy and there's enough people there on tills to cover. We must have been standing there for only 15 seconds when I became aware of this woman hovering around nearby. She was trying to get to where we were standing, in front of the apple pies, making those really hassled sounds and looking generally flustered. Then she said 'Sorry guys, I need to get in there to look at something.' But it wasn't in a friendly sounding way at all. I said 'Oh sorry!' and moved backwards where my supervisor and I continued on the conversation for another few seconds. The woman moved towards us again and said 'Look guys, I really need to have access to this area' in a really hassled sounding voice. My supervisor jokingly said 'Oh sorry, are we in your way?' as we walked off, and the woman goes 'Well yes actually, you are in my way.' And we both stopped studdenly and turned around as if we misheard her. I was like '...Sorry?' and she said 'Like, is there nowhere else you guys can go to have your little discussion about your breaks other than being in the way?' and we both looked at each other with bemused expressions. Then my supervisor said: 'Well actually, this is our workstation area' and the woman goes 'Well all you're doing is standing around chatting instead of working!' WTF?! Who was this bitch?! Then she walked off and gave out hell to a girl on another till for not packing her bag correctly. I'm so glad that 99% of our customers are grand. Holy shit, what a cunt.

Four.

Right. I got slacked. Didn't even do one shift yet.

Lindsay

Aww that sucks, I'm sorry to hear that! :( Did they say why?

fiercecircus

Well THAT fucking blows...

• Like 1

Khaleesi.

Haha, guess I didn't get the receptionist job. They said they'd let me know by the middle of this past week. I emailed her, following up and never heard anything. Then I called and they put me on hold then it got "disconnected" What the fuck? Seriously? How immature can these people be... It's a good thing employers follow through with what they say and act in a professional manner.

Whatever. I still have Costco. <3

(even though today was incredibly shitty cause we were short staffed and it was super busy. plus all the members were nasty cause of the weather... whatever. at least i had breaks with my boyfriend to calm me down, haha. i was seriously so close to snapping at someone)

fiercecircus

sittin' at work. 5am. Emergency medicine is either 13 hours of boredom, or 13 hours of craziness. Guess which one it is tonight.

I probably just jinxed myself too, and the shits gonna hit the fan any second now...

Anyways, was walking dogs before watching bats outside. There were a ton of them. Yay bats :)

Four.

Aww that sucks, I'm sorry to hear that! :( Did they say why?

They lost a contract, and are experiencing "financial hardship". I'd like to call bullshit on that, but I'm not a financial expert. :P