Guest Pikachu

The Work Thread

Mar

HOLY CRAP I GOT THE JOB.

I mean, I'm only going to start working in a month and a half, but still. MONEY.

Congrats! :D

YAY for missing something in an article and getting complaints about it. Just what I need today.

• Like 1

lizziebix

HOLY CRAP I GOT THE JOB.

I mean, I'm only going to start working in a month and a half, but still. MONEY.

Congrats! Really happy for you!

• Like 1

fiercecircus

tonight my boss at the mall was TOTALLY HIGH so we basically fucked off and didn't do much. I mean, when the store was busy we took care of customers, but otherwise...

I have one more week there, i think.

Kaddi.

My favorite co-worker quit her job and moved to Sweden. :(

anniewoo

HOLY CRAP I GOT THE JOB.

well done :)

i have a degree in art but started from the bottom after i graduated, there's just nothing out there. past year or so has been really tough to get to where i want to be :)

i like my job, it's stressful managing people in retail but it's busy and i'm not in an office so i'm happy.

• Like 1

She-Loves-Him

Store has slowed down SO much. I think I did 7 crosswords today.

Beathe.

Last shift at the nursing home tomorrow. I hate it there, so I can't wait to be done.

My favorite co-worker quit her job and moved to Sweden. :(

Sweden? Why? :lol:

Kaddi.

Last shift at the nursing home tomorrow. I hate it there, so I can't wait to be done.

Sweden? Why? :lol:

Because she was born there and her family still lives there. Her life didn't go very well in Germany, so I understand why she wants to go back. It sucks anyway. :(

fiercecircus

LOOOOONG night tonight. currently trying to stay awake.

we had a handful of interesting cases. had a couple die (not cool. but not a surprise either.) Had one come in like OMG IT'S CHOKING but really it wasn't choking, it was just fine and we sent it out of the waiting room without even charging it.

Also we have a client here with the last name "Passalacqua" and it is amusing me :)

Beathe.

Because she was born there and her family still lives there. Her life didn't go very well in Germany, so I understand why she wants to go back. It sucks anyway. :(

Then I understand. Yup, it sucks to loose good co-workers. =/

fiercecircus

omg. and that one guy at the hospital? he is SO TWEAKED OUT TONIGHT!!! he hasn't shut up in about 6 hours!

Lindsay

Back to work tomorrow after 2 weeks off. :( Ah well, time to start making money again I suppose. I start school again in about two and a half weeks so after that I'll be going down to no more than 15 hours a week, which should be fine.

xburnoutx

The good side of my work life right now - I get to drive around and work with animals and I am LOVING it!

The down side? The bar I work in is getting knocked down in just over a week, and I'll miss both the building and all the people I work with. It was built in 1937 as a cinema and designed by the same Architect that designed the Hammersmith Apollo. Gutted! :sad:

Kaddi.

Store has slowed down SO much. I think I did 7 crosswords today.

I wish I could do something like that when I'm not busy at work. Mondays are super lame, but I have to sit there and wait for customers to come without doing anything else. I hope it's not gonna be that boring tomorrow.

uhleckseee

I called out sick from my job for what I believe is the first time in my 3 year career there. Whoa, man.

But the other day, oh man, pissed me off. I'm a supervisor to cashiers, but every so often, I have to go and help them out by ringing up customers if we get a rush. So, there were 4 supervisors on duty, a line of maybe 5 customers (honestly, not that bad, but my manager has been on our ass that day about the line, so fuck it, I hopped on to help). My second supervisor was helping with a check, another was doing what she was supposed to be doing and passwording transactions, and another was helping another cashier. They were all working hard.

I see my assistant store manager in line buying something, the same guy giving us shit about being busy. I take him as a customer and, like I have been doing, smile and say "How are you?"

"I was doing fine until I just noticed how inefficient you all are being right now."

WHAT THE FUCK. What do you say to that?! I'm not a confrontational person AT ALL, so I was just mumbling and saying, "well, I'm taking customers at least...I guess....I don't know....." and moved on finishing the transaction. But that rubbed me the wrong way for the rest of my shift. I told my other supervisors and they were pissed off as well because he had approached them as well and told them to open their eyes and notice what's going on around them.

Dick.

SetOnOverdrive

I work for the Nokia Siemens Networks as a Contact Centre Agent. I work on the night shift which means there are no supervisors around. You may all think this is an awesome thing but I really don't. I'm without a doubt the best agent on the night team, therefore when shit hits the fan people look to me. I don't mind helping out my colleagues, I mean most of them are not only colleagues but now good friends. It's just that people seem to have put me into this supervisor role, I would love to be a supervisor but I want to be paid to do it.

I work on an Emergency Help Desk, I get paid a shit wage to do a fairly stressful job. I don't want all this extra added pressure on me for no reward.

(P.S. The above post sucks. I would smack my manager in the face if he did that to me.)

anniewoo

I called out sick from my job for what I believe is the first time in my 3 year career there. Whoa, man.

But the other day, oh man, pissed me off. I'm a supervisor to cashiers, but every so often, I have to go and help them out by ringing up customers if we get a rush. So, there were 4 supervisors on duty, a line of maybe 5 customers (honestly, not that bad, but my manager has been on our ass that day about the line, so fuck it, I hopped on to help). My second supervisor was helping with a check, another was doing what she was supposed to be doing and passwording transactions, and another was helping another cashier. They were all working hard.

I see my assistant store manager in line buying something, the same guy giving us shit about being busy. I take him as a customer and, like I have been doing, smile and say "How are you?"

"I was doing fine until I just noticed how inefficient you all are being right now."

WHAT THE FUCK. What do you say to that?! I'm not a confrontational person AT ALL, so I was just mumbling and saying, "well, I'm taking customers at least...I guess....I don't know....." and moved on finishing the transaction. But that rubbed me the wrong way for the rest of my shift. I told my other supervisors and they were pissed off as well because he had approached them as well and told them to open their eyes and notice what's going on around them.

Dick.

yeah... he shouldn't have spoken to you like that. don't think it was worded the best way :\ unfortunately he's prob getting his ass kicked by your SD for not delivering for customers. the company i work for has a measure of how many customers are queueing at each bank. i used to be a checkout manager with 60 odd staff, it was really stressful. not the good kind.

i start my new job as a grocery manager tomorrow, new store! really pleased as this was the role i wanted :) can't wait to get stuck in.

I work for the Nokia Siemens Networks as a Contact Centre Agent. I work on the night shift which means there are no supervisors around. You may all think this is an awesome thing but I really don't. I'm without a doubt the best agent on the night team, therefore when shit hits the fan people look to me. I don't mind helping out my colleagues, I mean most of them are not only colleagues but now good friends. It's just that people seem to have put me into this supervisor role, I would love to be a supervisor but I want to be paid to do it.

I work on an Emergency Help Desk, I get paid a shit wage to do a fairly stressful job. I don't want all this extra added pressure on me for no reward.

(P.S. The above post sucks. I would smack my manager in the face if he did that to me.)

been there, done that. i've been a manager since november and should'v been a signed off manager (as in paid) since feb. only just been appointed and it's mid august. the lesson i learned, you gotta be really brutal and ruthless with your career. don't let them mug you off, you got to fight your own corner cos in a huge company like nokia or tesco you are just a number and noone else will fight your battles because they either don't care or are too busy fighting their own. good luck.

SetOnOverdrive

been there, done that. i've been a manager since november and should'v been a signed off manager (as in paid) since feb. only just been appointed and it's mid august. the lesson i learned, you gotta be really brutal and ruthless with your career. don't let them mug you off, you got to fight your own corner cos in a huge company like nokia or tesco you are just a number and noone else will fight your battles because they either don't care or are too busy fighting their own. good luck.

I mean to be fair I don't see working in a Contact Centre as a long term career. I'm just here to make some money. To be honest I don't even care about getting a real promotion to a supervisor. I'd much prefer to just do what I get paid to do right now and just do it well. Rather than having to worry if my colleagues are coping without me. I mean I've even had colleagues call me on my night off to ask for help with a case. The thing that makes this worse is that the girl who done this (she is not a friend, just a colleague) said she didn't want to call the 24/7 On Duty supervisor, i.e. the person who gets paid to be on call, incase she got into trouble for calling him at 2am.

She was lucky I was awake or I would have went crazy at her.

anniewoo

I mean to be fair I don't see working in a Contact Centre as a long term career. I'm just here to make some money. To be honest I don't even care about getting a real promotion to a supervisor. I'd much prefer to just do what I get paid to do right now and just do it well. Rather than having to worry if my colleagues are coping without me. I mean I've even had colleagues call me on my night off to ask for help with a case. The thing that makes this worse is that the girl who done this (she is not a friend, just a colleague) said she didn't want to call the 24/7 On Duty supervisor, i.e. the person who gets paid to be on call, incase she got into trouble for calling him at 2am.

She was lucky I was awake or I would have went crazy at her.

that's really not on, you should tell your boss what's going on and that you're really not happy with it. if somone called me on my day off for something like tha i'd go nuts. you need your spare time too.

SetOnOverdrive

that's really not on, you should tell your boss what's going on and that you're really not happy with it. if somone called me on my day off for something like tha i'd go nuts. you need your spare time too.

Yeah, Of course I told my TL's but the damage had already been done. It's crazy in the world of call centres.

fiercecircus

another night.

Now, as a vet tech i AM superstitious. You never say the word "slow" or "quiet" in an emergency room.

but, i've got 3 patients and only one is really sick. URRRGH. It's going to be a long night. I went to the supermarket and got the crew a bunch of snacks (even the dickbags i don't like, because i'm a fucking polite person.) Currently watching Mad Men with the doctor. (fuck. i've got things to say about THAT show too, but wrong thread for that...)

Kaddi.

Had the biggest jerk customer ever today. He was bitching about everything all the time, but we have to be absolutely polite to customers no matter what they do, so I decided to better say nothing. He somehow didn't like that either, so he asked me if everyone in our shop was as unfriendly as me. What the hell?!

colour_me_stupid_

For some reason, people at the restaurant ask 2 waitresses for the same thing. We wouldn't know this, so 2 of us would go off making the same order unaware of it, it's so annoying :pinch: If a second waitress asks you something, just tell them that another girl took your order! gah.

Also, who eats at 6:45am?! We have a tour in and they wanted to eat at that hour. Luckily the receptionist told them no, so now they're eating at (still a stupid hour) 7:15 :dry:

anniewoo

first day of my job included holding duty, having my staff taken for checkouts, promotion changes for which half the stock failed to turn up and a 12 hour day. standard.

pasalaska

Sad - my favourite co-worker had his last day today, and my second-favourite is moving back to Toronto for the beginning of uni.

waaaaaa