Guest Pikachu

The Work Thread

Mar

I'm gonna get performanced out because they're now making us pack items way faster than I can. I've gotten pretty good with picking items from the sales floor, but packing them is another story, idk why. And I was getting into such a groove since things have been calm lately. And I like losing weight from all the walking.

Still have no idea what I would be qualified for otherwise/no one's biting (legit can't get the fast food places to respond)/car's falling apart and can't respond to people offering to help me with jobs because they're all at least 20 miles away and I don't trust my car to get me to them regularly anymore. Meh, I'm useless and it's why I'm isolating myself more. It's a shame, I do miss talking to people about things not related to my life/my suicidal thoughts. ANYWAY, work thread, uh, yeah, the company is introducing a new system that's screwing over everyone, hence my worry above. So, turnover will be crazy and at this point, and I'll laugh when it fails because they don't give people hours to implement said process properly (it's not necessarily a bad system, but it won't work with the payroll the company's allowing now).

Tre's Busted Drumkit

I passed on the job offer I got last week. For a lot of reasons, I can't relocate right now, and they really wanted me at their home office ASAP. My current employer is shifting me into a new position underneath someone else where I'll have a chance to do something other than sit around with my thumbs up my ass looking like I have no idea what I'm doing (I don't) and won't have to relocate. Pay's not nearly as much in my current job, but after doing some cocktail napkin math, the higher pay would have been totally offset and then some by the cost of getting an apartment and living in the new city while still having a mortgage and someone else living in the old. Long story short, it doesn't make sense. Which sucks. A lot.

Misfit xo

So the call center job I had didn't work out.  I tried it out, and I did it for 3 weeks before I quit.  I just couldn't do it... sitting in a chair all day, in front of a computer screen, talking on the phone... yeah, it wasn't for me.  I start a dishwashing position at Texas Roadhouse next week, which I'm actually pretty excited about.  Has anyone washed dishes at a restaurant before?  What's it like?  

NothingButYourImagination

Well, my job of being a carpenter helper/laborer just got axed at working there for a month and a half. Apparently, I just wasn't the right fit and not meeting up to production and also because I was taking off too much time. I was blindsided by this; I thought I was starting to get the hang of some things. I wish I had some kind of a heads up or a performance review to see if I could've improved. And about the time off thing, I've only taken 3 days off (all related to picking up furniture, packing, and moving into my new apartment) and left early or left for an hour and returned before the day was over to view apartments. I had to do this because my lease on my old place was ending soon and I could only get showings of places anywhere between 2-4 PM. It just feels unfair and like no matter what job I try I'm never good enough. This has been a blow to my self-esteem and really raised my anxiety and depression in the past couple of days. I've applied for unemployment and hope to everything that goes through so I can pay my bills and live. But, maybe this wasn't for me after all. I jumped from being stuck at a desk in an office all day to getting my hands dirty doing manual labor. I liked being more active for work and despite some job duties getting pretty dirty, I overall liked doing what I did. But it is 99% of men in the field which sometimes made me feel singled out. Idk, it's back to the drawing board on what's my passion and how I can turn that into a career for me. I hope this bad luck cycle with jobs breaks soon. 

maryjanewhatsername

I love my job, but sometimes the people I work with make me want to slam my head in a car door.

DadBod

Me waiting for my computer to actually work properly... 

tenor.gif

i don’t have time for this shit today. I have fucking deadlines! 

I. Hate. Technology. Today. 

lizziebix

My boss is being so whiny today. It’s really obnoxious, especially from a grown man.

DadBod

Got some awesome news at work today. So needed after my shit of a day yesterday. I can't wait to go to MAX conference in November (LA) and meet up with a fellow designer friend who is also attending. 

She-Loves-Him

I saw my brother yesterday and he said that once I get my foot in the door somewhere, I'll be their best ecologist. I dunno about the best, but it was nice to hear, especially coming from my little brother who always seems to be giving me shit about something. He's a landscape architect at an international consulting firm, so he works with ecologists regularly and believes that my ability to write and the fact that I actually like technical writing should set me apart because most of them suck at it or hate it and are only in it for the field work side of the job.

Leaves me feeling good, but also frustrated because no one will give me a chance to demonstrate this. 

I still haven't heard back from the interview I had a couple weeks ago, but they said they wouldn't be getting back to anybody until after their funding was confirmed in mid-April so hopefully I hear something this week. I keep telling myself that if they were definitely going to reject me they could have done that with or without their funding... 

I have an interview for an aquatic position on Tuesday with a local-ish conservation authority, which I feel qualified for in the sense that I have done and learned about everything related to the job in school this past year, but this past year was also my first time paying fish or benthics any attention at all. I did get almost 100% in both courses, though. 

Khaleesi.

Either one of the advisory counsel just let it slip that I'm getting the promotion, or she's an awful person who likes torturing people....

Whatever it is.... just give me a decision!!!! 

fukingcounterstrike
6 minutes ago, Khaleesi. said:

Either one of the advisory counsel just let it slip that I'm getting the promotion, or she's an awful person who likes torturing people....

Whatever it is.... just give me a decision!!!! 

I'm gonna start drinking right now because I'm confident that you got the promotion :D ..... I'm totally not an alcoholic using anything as an excuse

• Like 1
  • Love 1

AlissaGoesRAWR

Well, I guess I just experienced a rite of passage for my industry: survived staff layoffs yesterday. Six of my coworkers are gone... and the survivor's guilt is real. 

It's clear they're getting rid of the older, more experienced people who cost more, so I'm likely safe into the future because I'm cheap and I'm not costing us anything for health insurance. But I can't help but wonder how long I can last in this kind of environment. It has nothing to do with my particular employer; this is just reality industry-wide. It sucks.

Lindsay

My leader fell for a phishing scam today and I feel so bad for her. :(

Long story short, she sent $3000 of gift card codes to someone who was impersonating our CEO. I don't think she'll lose her job or anything like that because it was an honest mistake but... yikes. I'm honestly more shocked that she fell for it. We've been getting numerous emails from the IT department warning us about these types of scams; I received the email as well and knew what it was right away and deleted it. Luckily she cc'd me in hers asking me to help and I realized what it was right away and called her and told her to stop before she bought more but oh man, I had never heard her more embarrassed or anything like that in my life. 

It's kind of weird timing as she was kind of rude to me last week and I was gonna sit down with her today and tell her how I felt about that situation, but I think this is karma enough so I'm not gonna bother bringing that up anymore lol

Mar

They're cutting my hours, but now that I have no car, I'm limited by jobs to bus routes from my street, so idk what to do. They're gonna increase our workload (drive up service), but cutting the hours in which we're supposed to do this, and now there's never more than one of us at a time. I'm going to try begging for more hours, but idt they have any to offer. I'll see if a factory/warehouse on my street is hiring. 

kaylubd

I'm finally out of that dumb office by the airport. And as usual I was there for like 3 months. I'm really tired of that. It's like when they ask my supervisor if I can come down to help it feels like they're exaggerating. Maybe for a week it's crazy but then it's like they're finding stuff for me to do. And usually my normal office isn't super busy but lately it's been ramping up especially since I'm helping out with the company blog. Hopefully it'll be the last time I'm out there.

Emilie
On 5/28/2019 at 9:55 AM, Mar said:

They're cutting my hours, but now that I have no car, I'm limited by jobs to bus routes from my street, so idk what to do. They're gonna increase our workload (drive up service), but cutting the hours in which we're supposed to do this, and now there's never more than one of us at a time. I'm going to try begging for more hours, but idt they have any to offer. I'll see if a factory/warehouse on my street is hiring. 

what was your degree in again? Have you ever thought about helping students with their assignments? You can even do it through apps like Fiver or some others, charge a bit to proofread assignments. It won't sustain you on its own, but it can work as a side thing for your current job

Little Boy Named Airplane
7 minutes ago, Khaleesi. said:

I GOT THE PROMOTION!!!! :yay:

YES! Congrats @Khaleesi. 😎 

• Love 1

kaylubd
24 minutes ago, Khaleesi. said:

Congrats!!!! 

• Love 1

Laura!
1 hour ago, Khaleesi. said:

Congratulations!! :) 

• Love 1

fukingcounterstrike
3 hours ago, Khaleesi. said:

Yaaaaaaay all that drinking paid off :woot: 

Seriously congrats Carling. I knew you'd get it :D 

• Love 1

Lindsay
12 hours ago, Khaleesi. said:

Congrats!!!! :D super proud of you! 

• Love 1

lizziebix
12 hours ago, Khaleesi. said:

Congrats, Carling.  So proud of you.  :hug:

• Love 1

Mar
On 5/28/2019 at 11:56 PM, Emilie said:

what was your degree in again? Have you ever thought about helping students with their assignments? You can even do it through apps like Fiver or some others, charge a bit to proofread assignments. It won't sustain you on its own, but it can work as a side thing for your current job

I wasn't familiar with Fiver until a classmate from college mentioned it, and knowing that you're familiar with it, too, I think I need to check it out. A high school classmate just reached out about writing articles for her, too, so I contacted her for more info. I just hope that it won't require "reporting" per se, since that will be virtually impossible for me to do in-person without a car (and, yknow, I hate talking to people, but beside the point :lol:), we'll see!

• Like 1

Tre's Busted Drumkit

My job has gone from terrible to awesome now that I finally have something to do. I'm being left in charge of some key reporting and analysis. First I have to build the system, because it seems like the system that existed prior to me taking over was never fully fleshed out. Then, after the system is built, 90% of my job consists of finding problems and telling someone else to fix them. I'm not the guy who gets stuck solving the world's problems anymore! I just have to find the world's problems and make someone else do it! This is truly the pinnacle of my career. I will likely fight against promotions or transfers for the rest of time because I don't ever want to have any real accountability to anyone again. Just leave me alone and let me freelance, and watch the numbers improve. And I can finally explain what I do for a living to people!

Also, because this may never be more relevant to any thread than this one, the Aunt Marilyn story, starring @lizziebix and myself:

Many years ago (like, 2013-ish?), I had a client looking for a payments program. They had a business partner that hated them and constantly went behind their backs on expenses, projects, design choices...it's a wonder why that program imploded. So there's a truly massive trade show in Chicago each year, and I flew up there twice to help staff this client's trade show booth. We had a product that was hard to explain, so they needed experienced help to talk to attendees and help coach the business partner's employees on what to say and how to say it.

A few months before my second trip up to that show, our client's business partner hired a consultant of their own to work on this program. The stated reason was that they wanted an additional strategic mind. The real reason was that they were getting cold feet about the amount of money they were spending and wanted someone to tell them where they could cut costs. I could go into many details about why they were spending so much, but I'll leave it here: they dropped seven figures on a website for a program that was months away from ready without telling my client, then handed my client an invoice for half the cost.

So this consultant of theirs had access to everything, and he saw that we were getting paid a pretty good chunk of money for what we did. I was tipped off by someone I'd worked closely with at the business partner company that he was going to come after us and try to get us out of the picture. This guy was an absolute snake. I had a hunch from the start, but figured it out for sure on one particularly brutal conference call where we had to tell board members from both companies that the program wasn't going to be ready on the target live date. My boss was unavailable, of course, so I got dumped on the call alone. And to say that it was a "call" would be putting it nicely. I thought of it more as a firing squad, with every member of the business partner's team lining up to take a shot, and this consultant was firing more rounds at me than anyone else. So I got off the call and sent my boss an email to let her know how well it went, and how much I appreciated her not being on the call so I could try and explain the inner workings of a payments platform to a guy on the board of (fast food place you've definitely heard of) by myself. She called me later and apologized for not being on the call, and told me that the consultant had called her afterwards to apologize for how I'd been treated. He told her "that wasn't a call, it was an ambush."

I put two and two together right there and told my boss what he'd said to me on the call. We both agreed immediately that this was not someone to be trusted, not someone to share information with, not even someone to communicate with over the phone or send an email to without copying our client.

So skip ahead a few months and it's time for the trade show. Our client loved me, their business partner hated us, and their consultant was trying to get whatever info he could use against us but we kept stonewalling him. I agreed to go to the show again, then found out that this guy would be there. Awesome. Shit. I also found out that someone I was much happier to meet would be there: Marilyn! I told her which booth I'd be at so we could meet up there.

So I'm meeting this consultant for the first time. He's all smiles and handshakes and talking about the respect he has for the work I do, he's glad he doesn't have to do it, blah blah blah, and one of the other guys working the booth taps me on the shoulder and asks if I'm Ben. Excuse me, Mr. Consultant, sorry, I have to see what's up. Why yes, I am, what's up? He points to someone and says, "This is Marilyn, she says she's been looking for you."

Hugs ensued, as did a few minutes of conversation before Marilyn continued on her way. At this point, my show is a success because I finally got to meet the nicest person ever in the flesh. As I'm headed back over to my workstation, the consultant comes out of freaking nowhere and asks who that was. In lieu of explaining how she's someone I know from a Green Day website and have never met before, I just went with, "Oh, that's my Aunt Marilyn. We haven't seen each other in ten years, so I had to say hi." He understood, had to run to a meeting, said we'd catch up later. Saved by Aunt Marilyn for the first time.

He comes back down from his meeting a while later and finds me again. Turns out he had to fly home that night, and he really wanted to grab lunch with me while we were together. Instantly, every tornado siren in Chicago starts doing that horrifying up-down wail of doom thing in my head. Seriously, the tornado sirens in Chicago do a thing called "alternating wail". It is a horrifying up-down wail of doom. Youtube it, then imagine that in my head at a very high volume because this guy is going to spend all of lunch looking for things he can feed back to his clients, the business partners that wanted us gone because he'd convinced them we were the biggest unnecessary expense there. So I did what any rational human being would do if placed in that situation: I made shit up.

"Oh, I'd love to, but I really can't. Aunt Marilyn's only here today, and we'd already made plans to have lunch together."

Totally not true. But all the same, that's the string of words that came out.

Again, he wasn't thrilled, but he understood that family is important and that I'd set something up with my aunt first (haha, sucker, I had nothing set up). So I vanished onto the floor for an hour, with my trademark smug grin because I knew he was in meetings the rest of the day. All I had to do was slide out the door as soon as my shift ended at 4 and I'd never see him again. Save #2 from Aunt Marilyn.

Marilyn and I did try to get back together on the floor that day, but the timing didn't work out. And that's it. That's the story of how Aunt Marilyn saved me from having any substantive conversations with a corporate snake whose only goal was to get me to say something that gets us in trouble. We held that client for another year or so. The corporate snake was let go when our client had a heart-to-heart with their partner about why they were spending $20K/month on a guy they hired to cut costs. :D

tl;dr I met Marilyn at a trade show in Chicago and immediately adopted her as my aunt to avoid getting my contract terminated.

• Like 2
  • Love 1