Guest Pikachu

The Work Thread

Milan.

Welp. I got an new job within a school and whilst its not exactly a teaching position, its better than nothing.
Just really weird feeling knowing that last week I was an casual working within after school program to now running and coordinating one.

Just really weird, but it was honestly really good.

maryjanewhatsername

I finally went back down to not as crazy hours and thank sweet baby jesus. I am happy I'm back in my dough room rolling thousands of pounds of pizza dough again ❤️ 

She-Loves-Him

So at school I’m working on a big project with the conservation authority that covers my hometown area. I’ve been interested in working with them for years, so I wanted to work on this specific project as a way to get a foot in the door. 

I also applied for a really cool year-long volunteer position with them that involves both outreach type events and helping regular staff with their day-to-day tasks when they need it. I found out today that I got one of the positions, so I’m stoked about that. Another foot in the door.

They have a job opening up st the end of the week for a summer Restoration Assistant which I am 100% qualified for so here’s hoping my various feet in doors help me out.

ya girl wants to trade the school thread for the work thread real bad

Lindsay

This week has been stupid stressful. I need a fucking vacation 

She-Loves-Him

I'm so tired of writing cover letters :cry: 

• Sad 1

maryjanewhatsername
1 hour ago, She-Loves-Him said:

I'm so tired of writing cover letters :cry: 

I suck at writing resumes and cover letters, It just sucks! 

She-Loves-Him
On 3/19/2019 at 7:49 PM, maryjanewhatsername said:

I suck at writing resumes and cover letters, It just sucks! 

I don't even think I'm doing that badly with them, but still, nothing!

• Like 1

maryjanewhatsername
Just now, She-Loves-Him said:

I don't even think I'm doing that badly with them, but still, nothing!

That's the part that's most frustrating!! You put so much time into this shit and you don't get jack shit in return (90% of the time at least). I applied for a radio station position a few years ago (you know, follow in my momma's footsteps) and they never called me back. And I worked so hard on that goddamned cover letter :lol: 

Hayley

I have to start applying for jobs and I reeallyyyy don't want to ☹️ I hate interviews!

Lindsay
13 hours ago, Hayley said:

I have to start applying for jobs and I reeallyyyy don't want to ☹️ I hate interviews!

What's happened with your job?? It looks so fun!

She-Loves-Him
1 hour ago, Lindsay said:

I second this!

Khaleesi.

I have to do an interview for my acting position next Wednesday, which I need to prepare a presentation for :dry:

She-Loves-Him
9 minutes ago, Khaleesi. said:

I have to do an interview for my acting position next Wednesday, which I need to prepare a presentation for :dry:

I'm assuming you mean acting as in position you're in/about to be in, but it also really sounds like you've scored some acting gig and I was very confused :lol: 

Khaleesi.
47 minutes ago, She-Loves-Him said:

I'm assuming you mean acting as in position you're in/about to be in, but it also really sounds like you've scored some acting gig and I was very confused :lol: 

Haha, I wish! 

No, you’re right - I’m currently in an acting supervisory role. We’re running a competition to fill permanent spots for it, and my interview is next week. I’m positive I won’t get one of the spots because there’s people who have been doing the job longer than me, but it at least gets me into a pool of qualified candidates if anything else pops up. 

I thought my interview days were behind me for the next little while :lol: 

Tre's Busted Drumkit

So I spent the week getting an expensive certification involving sequestering myself in a hotel and spending 8 hours a day in classes, 1 hour a day in exams, 10 hours a day studying for said exams and the rest of the time crying. It's roughly the equivalent of taking a semester of college in five days. I've got this certification in hand...and there's a 90% chance that I call my boss from the airport tomorrow to give her my notice because I was offered a way better job that pays way more while I was up here. Oops.

• Like 1

fukingcounterstrike
8 hours ago, Tre's Busted Drumkit said:

So I spent the week getting an expensive certification involving sequestering myself in a hotel and spending 8 hours a day in classes, 1 hour a day in exams, 10 hours a day studying for said exams and the rest of the time crying. It's roughly the equivalent of taking a semester of college in five days. I've got this certification in hand...and there's a 90% chance that I call my boss from the airport tomorrow to give her my notice because I was offered a way better job that pays way more while I was up here. Oops.

It still bugs the shit out of me that I have no idea what it is you do for a living

She-Loves-Him
53 minutes ago, fukingcounterstrike said:

It still bugs the shit out of me that I have no idea what it is you do for a living

I was thinking the same :lol:

Like, what kinda certification? I gotta know.

Hayley
On 3/21/2019 at 7:52 AM, Lindsay said:

On 3/21/2019 at 9:11 AM, She-Loves-Him said:

I second this!

It was fun! :( ugh back in November-December I just got super stressed and stopped going to work a lot of the time and just kinda shut down. I took about 2 weeks off for Christmas to see if that would help me recharge but it didn't so I quit last month :( no hard feeling between any of us though and I do miss it! But now it's time for something new sadly! I will definitely make less money wherever I go next and will definitely miss the fun environment and people there but what can you do. whoops lol 

Tre's Busted Drumkit
5 hours ago, fukingcounterstrike said:

Please. 

Emilie

I have no idea what to do about a certain client at work. They are a lovely person, but man there are so many issues at work. Their hygiene and the state of their house are terrible. The family is chaotic, there is one member who treats their partner and child awfully (nothing reportable but uncomfortable to be around). Their home smells like shit, literally. Everything is disorganised. It’s a stressful environment for me as a compulsive planner and organiser, and I mean dealing with the smell of poo isn’t fun for anyone. I’ve gotten into intermittent fasting again only because while I’m at work I’m too grossed out to eat. 

Problem is this client makes up the vast majority of my hours at work. If I left I would only have maybe 2 hours left a week. I want to either leave the client altogether or slowly phase them out of my roster but it’s such an awkward thing to bring up with a manager :( and the client is such a nice person it will hurt them if they know why. Apparently this has happened to them quite a bit in the past 

Lindsay
11 hours ago, Hayley said:

It was fun! :( ugh back in November-December I just got super stressed and stopped going to work a lot of the time and just kinda shut down. I took about 2 weeks off for Christmas to see if that would help me recharge but it didn't so I quit last month :( no hard feeling between any of us though and I do miss it! But now it's time for something new sadly! I will definitely make less money wherever I go next and will definitely miss the fun environment and people there but what can you do. whoops lol 

Awe, I'm sorry. :( I hope you find another job that doesn't have you quite as stressed!!

She-Loves-Him

I... have an interview on Friday for not one, but two different (albeit very similar) positions at a non-profit ecological research organization. 

• Like 3

Hayley
On 3/22/2019 at 10:35 PM, Lindsay said:

Awe, I'm sorry. :( I hope you find another job that doesn't have you quite as stressed!!

Thanks Lindsay!!

kaylubd

So I'm still stuck at this dumb office and I'm just trying to deal with it. But there's one guy that really gets on my nerves. Instead of trying to get my attention by saying my name or tapping on my desk, you know like anyone else would do, he sidles up to my desk and just hovers until I either notice him or he starts speaking. It freaks me out! And then he never knows when the conversation is over. Our chat about work will come to its natural end and he'll stand there for 10 more seconds and then start repeating himself. It's so weird.

Brooklyn Baby

There's this one clinical affiliate at my job that I just hate. She is mean as hell to everyone and purposefully makes you feel stupid when you bring issues to her attention... or she acts like it's the most annoying thing in the world when she has to come look at the patient. It makes me not want to approach her and it SUCKS when she's assigned to my patients. Do your damn job and stop being a jerk, lady. This is an intensive care unit, it is literally your job to be "bothered" by the nurses about changes in patients' conditions. I have finally gotten on good terms with all of the clinical affiliates and attending doctors, she is the only one who treats me like shit still. And it probably won't get better because she treats even senior staff members horribly.