Guest Pikachu

The Work Thread

She-Loves-Him

I don't ever want to set for near a soybean field again 😩

...but I have two more to do tomorrow and 22 more sometime after that....

AlissaGoesRAWR

So I bought tickets to my first-ever Indians playoff game on Monday and begged my boss to take a half-day off at the last minute, thinking that would give me plenty of time to drive two hours to Cleveland, since there couldn’t possibly be a way it would start any earlier than the early afternoon. 

Well, then stupid fucking Yankees advanced and are playing the stupid fucking Red Sox the same day, meaning they got the prime-time slot and our game is at 1:30 in the fucking afternoon. :dry:

So now this morning I have to beg my boss again to take the entire day off, which is making me so anxious because it’s super out of my comfort zone. She was already being dodgy about me even taking the half day (she says a bunch of other people are already off next week, but I think it may just be a power move) and I’m afraid she’s going to say no and I’m going to be out a significant amount of money because I won’t be able to sell a ticket with one day’s notice (StubHub doesn’t release it till Sunday) for a 1:30 game. 

Plus, it’s not like I can “call in sick” now because she knows where I’ll be...

I’m hoping that she understands. Fingers crossed. :( 

Laura!
1 hour ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

So I bought tickets to my first-ever Indians playoff game on Monday and begged my boss to take a half-day off at the last minute, thinking that would give me plenty of time to drive two hours to Cleveland, since there couldn’t possibly be a way it would start any earlier than the early afternoon. 

Well, then stupid fucking Yankees advanced and are playing the stupid fucking Red Sox the same day, meaning they got the prime-time slot and our game is at 1:30 in the fucking afternoon. :dry:

So now this morning I have to beg my boss again to take the entire day off, which is making me so anxious because it’s super out of my comfort zone. She was already being dodgy about me even taking the half day (she says a bunch of other people are already off next week, but I think it may just be a power move) and I’m afraid she’s going to say no and I’m going to be out a significant amount of money because I won’t be able to sell a ticket with one day’s notice (StubHub doesn’t release it till Sunday) for a 1:30 game. 

Plus, it’s not like I can “call in sick” now because she knows where I’ll be...

I’m hoping that she understands. Fingers crossed. :( 

I hope she doesn’t give you too much trouble this morning! 

AlissaGoesRAWR
2 hours ago, Laura! said:

I hope she doesn’t give you too much trouble this morning! 

It was such an awkward conversation... probably the worst guilt-trip I've felt in a while, but ultimately she said I could go.

Then my direct supervisor immediately sent an email blast to our team of reporters saying too many people were taking days off next week and we needed to have as much content as possible lined up. Which means she probably sent out an email to all the assistant editors right after our conversation. Oh well. :wacko:

Penguin Puffball

Wesley's cunt of a probation officer found out about my existance today, so to punish him, she decided to court-mandate him to go to therapy 3 days a week. Which means he can only work 2 days a week, unless he gets a different job, which is gonna be very difficult with his lack of transportation. Which means I have to pick up the extra for an indeterminate amount of time. I was getting a second job anyway, but to save up to buy a new car and a new hearing aid; and I only wanted to work 12 extra hours a week, now I gotta work 20 or more. I'm gonna end up getting run into the fucking ground.

Edit: Got the second job. I start in like two weeks.

The Great Saiyaman

Love my current job so far! I just hang at one of my local elementary schools and supervise the kids every day. They're all great and it's awesome. 

Khaleesi.

Starting to get the hang of my new position. It's still really hard and a lot of work, but I'm enjoying it and they seem to value me for some unknown reason. :lol: Also the official email went out about the course I'm teaching, so I guess I can't back out now! My bosses seem to have much more confidence in my public speaking abilities than I do, so we'll see what happens I guess! 

• Like 1

Khaleesi.

I was asked if I might be interested in throwing my hat in the ring for a 5 week assignment in the Yukon. I probably won’t be selected as I know there’s more qualified people than me, but I’m giving it a shot anyway. This is super out of my comfort zone, and I wanna push myself to do these things while I still can! Almost hope I don’t get picked so the decision can be made for me :shy:

• Like 2

She-Loves-Him
3 hours ago, Khaleesi. said:

I was asked if I might be interested in throwing my hat in the ring for a 5 week assignment in the Yukon. I probably won’t be selected as I know there’s more qualified people than me, but I’m giving it a shot anyway. This is super out of my comfort zone, and I wanna push myself to do these things while I still can! Almost hope I don’t get picked so the decision can be made for me :shy:

A long time to be away from home, but it would be a cool experience and a paid for (I’m guessing) opportunity to visit the Yukon (which is probably somewhere most of us don’t consider going). If you’re chill with being gone for that long, I would go for it!

lizziebix

Outlook invites were a pain in my ass today.  They totally suck!

Khaleesi.
13 hours ago, She-Loves-Him said:

A long time to be away from home, but it would be a cool experience and a paid for (I’m guessing) opportunity to visit the Yukon (which is probably somewhere most of us don’t consider going). If you’re chill with being gone for that long, I would go for it!

Yeah, it would be a fully paid for trip to Whitehorse. I figure I'll never actually go on at trip there, so this is probably the best opportunity I have to see a bit more of Canada. Being away from home for that long really freaks me out though. :/ 

Billie Hoe

So work is pretty chill. I got a little introduction in IT from the college IT guys because apparently I'm supposed to help people with that lmfao. I'm the most unqualified person for this, but there haven't really been any bad problems hitting me, the guy who has the morning shift seems to get all of those since the place is busier. I'm mostly just telling people where the restrooms are, lend them some stuff like whiteboard markers, do a statistic every two hours on how many people are there and then mostly I just do whatever I want.

I've been at the library four times now and I think I'm getting more competent at that, but some shit is still giving me anxiety because I basically make mistakes every day. Some professor came in the other day with 20 books he wanted to extend the deadlines for and I was so surprised by this amount of books that I rushed my work and accidentally erased his 50 euros of late fees lmao. Hope nobody finds out about that oops.

So like generally I don't mind the job, still hate having to go because 1/3rd of the money gets taken away because of taxes and insurances and stuff. Making money sucks. Hate capitalism

• Like 2

Jane Lannister
4 minutes ago, Billie Hoe said:

Making money sucks. Hate capitalism

BIG MOOD

But yeah it sounds like a really chill job and I'm sure you're that professor's favorite student now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AlissaGoesRAWR

Our building has no heat because we haven’t tested the boilers yet to see if they’re safe. It’s getting into the 30s at night already. We’ve been told to “dress accordingly.”

Meanwhile, a light fixture melted and caught fire today and we had to douse it with a fire extinguisher, so that area of the building’s power has been shut off. 

Man, it feels great to be part of the “media elite!” :) 

Penguin Puffball

So I talked to one of the foremen tonight at work. Idk if he was allowed to tell me this, but he has access to the files and stuff so he would know. There are 3 full time positions, higher up than my current position, on my shift they're looking to fill, and 6 temps. He told me I'm on the list for one of these jobs. So if I play my cards right, come December I might have over a dollar an hour raise AND a promotion.

Billie Hoe

This is 95% me :mellow:

tumblr_om9jei6GgF1uy57v5o1_640.jpg

Paola17

So I am now the main House Manager for one of the shows we are doing at the theatre this season! I've done 4 on my own this far.
Granted, it's the smallest space we have for an hr long show, but it's still a start! We will be having 3 shows run at the same in about 2 weeks. Since there will be another show there in March/April when we will also be having 2-3 shows running simultaneously, I'll be the go-to person and house manage most of those performances in the same space. It will put me on track to HM a few shows in the mid-sized space we own in April too! This also means I'll be paid a few more bucks per hour than would a Box Officer or Concessioner (which I will still be doing at times).

However, it appears I am also going to be trained (possibly this week) to be an Acting Box Office Manager, which is also paid slightly more.

Having all of this hit at once - more money and more responsibilities actually makes me delighted and warm inside because it means they trust me to represent them well and not mess up (too badly...)  I love that they are confident I can do this well, and it really means a lot. The paychecks are just an added bonus.

• Like 2

maryjanewhatsername

I roll pizza dough for a living. It's taking a 75lbs blob and making it into 40 large pizzas. It hurts my back being that I'm only 125lbs!

Penguin Puffball

Everybody pray that it snows its ass off for the next 3 hours so the buses stop running and my work closes so I don't have to put a call off on my record within my first week. Cuz one way or another I am not driving in this in that piece of crap car of mine. I ain't risking an accident I can't afford for $9.25 an hour.

maryjanewhatsername
13 hours ago, Penguin Puffball said:

Everybody pray that it snows its ass off for the next 3 hours so the buses stop running and my work closes so I don't have to put a call off on my record within my first week. Cuz one way or another I am not driving in this in that piece of crap car of mine. I ain't risking an accident I can't afford for $9.25 an hour.

Honestly I would just tell them that it's way sketch in your car. They should understand. But let's hope for snow where you are anyways to help you out ❤️

Penguin Puffball
6 hours ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Honestly I would just tell them that it's way sketch in your car. They should understand. But let's hope for snow where you are anyways to help you out ❤️

It did end up snowing its ass off; there were 52 accidents in my county by the time I would have had to leave for work, and they STILL didn't cancel. So I said fuck it and called off anyway. No way in hell was I making it there in one piece.

maryjanewhatsername
1 hour ago, Penguin Puffball said:

It did end up snowing its ass off; there were 52 accidents in my county by the time I would have had to leave for work, and they STILL didn't cancel. So I said fuck it and called off anyway. No way in hell was I making it there in one piece.

Good for you! Safety first. Fuck those people if they can't understand that 

Penguin Puffball
55 minutes ago, maryjanewhatsername said:

Good for you! Safety first. Fuck those people if they can't understand that 

Even my dad, who is a workhorse and adamant about me going to work every day, texted me saying "Please tell me you're not going to work in this shit"