Green Day Random News

Fuzz

So...... Billboard's "Best & Worst of 2012" Readers' Poll.......

Biggest Disappointment

* Green Day's Trio of Albums

Um. WTF? Not cool, Billboard.

http://www.billboard...008036272.story

Because Billboard is a magazine that thrives off of pop music and can't differentiate sales from quality. Sure the Trilogy sold poorly, but what did they expect for a Rock Album in this environment?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billboard goes by sales not by the actual music ao far the trilogy is a disappointment...

I guess that would be true seeing as just because WB sees the trilogy as one album, Billboard rightfully sees them as 3 separate albums.

I guess it's not a disappointment on the label's end? I also believe there is more to be had with this, with the trilogy bundles, Christmas, and hopefully future Green Day promo appearances.

I guess that would be true seeing as just because WB sees the trilogy as one album, Billboard rightfully sees them as 3 separate albums.

I guess it's not a disappointment on the label's end? I also believe there is more to be had with this, with the trilogy bundles, Christmas, and hopefully future Green Day promo appearances.

They're probally hoping when the band gets back to business the album picks back up and becomes a success

Dafuq? I guess it's more of a the higher the expectations the bigger the disappointment...

This is one instance where we say DONT VOTE FOR GREEN DAY! Or we all band together to vote for one of the other disappointments... if I had any clue what the fuck they were. How can I be disappointed in JLo being bad?

I voted for fuck you billboard Green Day can kick your ass (I used other)

Biggest Disappointment

Can't really say I'm surprised, sadly enough. From within the community, we can argue and justify the trilogy's high and low points, but from an outside source a trilogy of albums by Green Day should've been something way bigger.

It's a shame but hey, they're losing out on 3 albums of good material. ;)

Once a Grammy sure bet, apparently no more, and not old enough to be sentimental fave. No noms this year. Sigh. Would have definitely helped with momentum.

Once a Grammy sure bet, apparently no more, and not old enough to be sentimental fave. No noms this year. Sigh. Would have definitely helped with momentum.

I mean, Uno was the only eligible album, and Oh Love the only song that had momentum. I'm not really surprised. If Tre puts out a good single and gains hype, there's always next year. It's still sad not to see them on the nominees list, regardless of whether or not they were deserving.

Oh, didn't pay close enough attention to know only Uno had potential. Looking at the list, they're clearly targeting a different demographic now anyway. Trying to avoid irrelevance. Thx for the clarification.

I mean, Uno was the only eligible album, and Oh Love the only song that had momentum. I'm not really surprised. If Tre puts out a good single and gains hype, there's always next year. It's still sad not to see them on the nominees list, regardless of whether or not they were deserving.

Please nice sexy GDCers I need somebody to post the scans for the latest 'Bassplayer' magazine where Mike is in the cover with his black sleeveless t-shirt (that I'd even venture to say is the same as in AI era) and long blonde hair :)

OK which song should i request in local radio station? The Forgotten....

The Forgotten. It's flopping and it's new.

Guest DisapppearingBoy

Actually i posted it in wrong thread. I was to post on 'tre promotion' thread. Anyway! Thanks.

Please nice sexy GDCers I need somebody to post the scans for the latest 'Bassplayer' magazine where Mike is in the cover with his black sleeveless t-shirt (that I'd even venture to say is the same as in AI era) and long blonde hair :)

Oh, you haven't found the post, have you?

Anyway, the scans were posted here:

there's a Mike interview in the January 2013 Bass Player Mag.

scans are in the spoiler... (just a heads up, they spell Billie's name wrong)

21erqxy.jpg

14czksh.jpg

2whpe28.jpg

2elxl37.jpg

35coa4g.jpg

ja895s.jpg

ev6h6b.jpg

4ptw82.jpg

:)

Biggest Disappointment

the funny side of all this is that until September Billbord was licking the ass of Green Day ...with interviews and stuff...so FUCK YOU BILLBOARD

It's only flopping 'cause no one gets to hear it. I mean who the fuck stays in the theatre after the credits ended and the lights go on? 'cause that's pretty much when it starts to play.

there's a Mike interview in the January 2013 Bass Player Mag.

scans are in the spoiler... (just a heads up, they spell Billie's name wrong)

21erqxy.jpg

14czksh.jpg

2whpe28.jpg

2elxl37.jpg

35coa4g.jpg

ja895s.jpg

ev6h6b.jpg

4ptw82.jpg

Nice! No cover thought D: I really wanted the cover!

This interview made me look a lot forward to Dirty Rotten Bastards to see that fast bassline (I guess that song in the one they're referring to with 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrel'). Plus I realised how much of good friends Mike and Tré are. I had this mental image of Mike and Tré being best friends with Billie and more neutral-ish to each other but actually they are also very close friends :) How didn't I notice before, in the argument Green Day had in 2003 both Mike and Tré were even in the same side.

I wish there was some interview where they asked something curious, like what's the biggest argument they've ever had.

Haha I was featured in an Ultimate Guitar article called "UG Readers React To ¡Tré!".

UG readers have posted mixed reactions to the latest album in Green Day's new album trilogy, "Tre!".

It received an overall rating of only 6/10 in our official review.

Some said it wasn't a bad album, but remains the weakest effort in the trilogy."Tre was probably my least favourite, but to be honest they did make a point that it wouldn't be as upbeat as the other two,"said helltothee. "Some songs on here are good... but I probably won't listen to this over and over."

Perhaps JorickF put it best: "These albums aren't made to impress critics or to attract new fans. They're made for the people who like Green Day already, giving them a lot of [new] material. Listen to what you like, ignore the rest."

To put it in context, there was some discussion going on in the comments to the review of ¡Tré!. Some were saying that it was full of filler and 'meh' songs, with few things that stand out. Others thought that ¡Tré! was their favorite album of the three. In response to that, I wrote this:

The Trilogy albums aren't perfect stand-alone albums at all. In fact, I have trouble going through them entirely. However, I could probably make a playlist of about 13 songs from the trilogy that I really, really like a lot. They'll be 13 different songs for everyone.

That might have been the point: these albums aren't made to impress critics or to attract new fans, but they're made for the people who like Green Day already, giving them a lot of material. Listen to what you like, ignore the rest. Or not, maybe I'm wrong.

Good news, I guess :) I hope he's not joking 'cause I'm tired of waiting for that documentary, I wanna see it so fucking bad :(

I rememer him saying, after it was finished, that Warner wanted to wait until the 10th anniversary to release it. He was fighting them on it, at the time. But I guess they are stubborn :P. So, no, I don't think he's joking. But I also hope that this doesn't end up getting taken off the tale last minute like that coffee table book they were making.

Biggest Disappointment

I believe this stems from all these major music sites thinking Green Day aren't doing well enough because they haven't made something they think is better than American Idiot. I can't remember the quote exactly, but there was a music magazine saying they were constantly trying and failing to beat AI, which isn't true. I'm just glad the band can be happy with these records, and more relaxed than with 21CB. But we all know these albums are amazing and would be selling better if Warner could get the asses to the promotion. It pisses me off that there are people who only know GD for WMUWSE and GR(TOYL) (and don't know the meaning behind them), when there are so many better songs out there. Billboard seems to be one that sticks with whats popular and if nothing else matters, even if it is better, then they think it's a disappointment if they haven't heard about it enough. [/rant]

I just hope something awesome happens in 2014 for the 10th anniversary. Like the movie or something...

There's no way the movie is happening in 2014 when it's nearly 2013 and they haven't even started filming yet. And, if the studio were banking on using Billie Joe as St. Jimmy in order to maximize their audience, then that will likely cause further delays. Hell, given that Green Day are listed as co-producers, it's going to cause delays anyway, since the band needs to be available to stick their stamp of approval on everything.

I believe this stems from all these major music sites thinking Green Day aren't doing well enough because they haven't made something they think is better than American Idiot. I can't remember the quote exactly, but there was a music magazine saying they were constantly trying and failing to beat AI, which isn't true. I'm just glad the band can be happy with these records, and more relaxed than with 21CB. But we all know these albums are amazing and would be selling better if Warner could get the asses to the promotion. It pisses me off that there are people who only know GD for WMUWSE and GR(TOYL) (and don't know the meaning behind them), when there are so many better songs out there. Billboard seems to be one that sticks with whats popular and if nothing else matters, even if it is better, then they think it's a disappointment if they haven't heard about it enough. [/rant]

Billboard are the ones who do all the music charts in the US. Billboard magazine, likewise, is business-oriented. Sales. Profits. That's why their feature article on the trilogy focused largely on the promotion plans for the album. That's what Billboard *is*.

There's no way the movie is happening in 2014 when it's nearly 2013 and they haven't even started filming yet. And, if the studio were banking on using Billie Joe as St. Jimmy in order to maximize their audience, then that will likely cause further delays. Hell, given that Green Day are listed as co-producers, it's going to cause delays anyway, since the band needs to be available to stick their stamp of approval on everything.

Oh I know it's super unlikely, but if they film it at the end of 2013, then they could conceivably release it at the end of 2014... I remain hopeful, but not realistically expecting it. I just hope the ball gets rolling, and more importantly that this thing HAPPENs. I think it deserves to exist and would make an incredible movie if done right.

From the Green Day Twitter:

@GreenDay: Get the Uno! Dos! Tre! #Holiday Bundle. Deal ends Thursday! Reply "buy" for $33.25 via @Chirpify http://t.co/tbjaakvR

From Chirpify:

Included items: + Green Day Uno! Dos! Tre! T-Shirt +Green Day Uno! Dos! Tre! Coaster Set

From Twitter:

Get the Uno! Dos! Tre! #Holiday Bundle. Deal ends Thursday!

...I'm confused on how you order it and what the difference is between Twitter and Chirpify :lol:

Archived