Green Day songs that sound like other songs

StuckWithInsomnia

What other songs have you found that have bits in them that sound a bit similar to Green Day songs? I know there is a Kinks song that sounds like Walking Contradiction, but have you found any others?

Edit: Or it can be any other pop punk song.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, "Do It Again" is the same riff as "Walking Contradiction". Another Kinks song, "Picture Book", sounds a shit ton like "Warning". "Hitchin' a Ride" sounds like "Stray Cat Strut" by the Stray Cats, except "Hitchin' a Ride" has a faster tempo. I could probably think of more if I tired...

Billie Joe strums the A in walking contradiction more times than the kinks, but other than that yeah, stray cat strut sounded pretty alike. The song "Pretty In Pink" by the Psychedelic Furs has a riff in it that sounds like a slower "Stuck with Me"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c08vQ-vUhWI

I feel like I'm going for the award for obscurity here.

The Network's Right-Hand-A-Rama (at 16 seconds)...

...sounds like Formula V's Eva Maria (mostly at the beginning and at 1:22).

Sort of. I knew it reminded me of something but I just couldn't figure it out until a couple of days ago. Such a relief. And it was my favorite song when I was 5 too :P

(I can't embed. Sad.)

Confusion and Frustration in Modern Times by Sum 41 sounds like Castaway to me :P

Confusion and Frustration in Modern Times by Sum 41 sounds like Castaway to me :P

Confusion and Frustration in Mondern Times by Sum 41 sounds like Castaway to me :P

Confusion and Frustration in Mondern Times by Sum 41 sounds like Castaway to me :P

Disagreed.

Disagreed.

Disagreed.

If it resembles anything, it's more like letterbomb :P

Not a direct similarity but I always thought Bad Religion's To Another Abyss had kind of the same chords like Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I just... don't... hear it...

"Everybody's got their problems, everybody says the same thing to you"

is nearly exactly the same as

"I never made it as a wise man, I couldn't cut it as a poor man stealing"

The rhythm guitar in The Offspring's "Race Against Myself" sounds like Boulevard.

Or should I say sounds like Wonderwall.

"Everybody's got their problems, everybody says the same thing to you"

is nearly exactly the same as

"I never made it as a wise man, I couldn't cut it as a poor man stealing"

Oh, I thought you were saying Nickelback sounded like Green Day. You're just saying that Sum 41 sounds like Nickelback, which I wouldn't know or care about.

How very special for them. :toocool:

What about this tune by Paparoach and GD's Brain Stew???

http://www.youtube.comch?v=media]

Check one of those guitars, it sounded very similar to Brain Stew's riff.

I noticed that as soon as I heard it on Infest.

Very similar. And then there's that song by that band with Chicago in the name and something about 25 that Brain Stew sounds like.

Someone knows what I'm talking about.

Disagreed.

Disagreed.

Disagreed.

If it resembles anything, it's more like letterbomb :P

You're thinking of Take a Look at Yourself ;)

The whole song doesn't sound like Castaway, only the intro and some other bits.

I noticed that as soon as I heard it on Infest.

Very similar. And then there's that song by that band with Chicago in the name and something about 25 that Brain Stew sounds like.

Someone knows what I'm talking about.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys. So i saw the recent topic posted about Green Day songs sounding a lot like other Green Day songs, and i thought maybe i could start a topic about songs by other artists that sound like Green Day songs!

So here are the ones i figured out:

-American Eulogy sounds alot like We're Not Gonna Take it by Twisted Sisters

-See The Lights sounds like ACDC's You Shook Me All Night Long (i love that song.)

-Here's a funny one, my friend made me listen to this Pokemon Game Music, the piece is called Diamonds and Pearls, and he linked it to 21 Guns! And the thing is it actually does sound like 21 guns!

-He also linked the song to Full House' Theme Song "Everywhere You Look". To be honest i don't know about that but maybe you guys would find it similar

-I also linked 21 Guns to Mott The Hoople's All The Young Dudes, its somehow similar if you listen carefully

-There's also The Kink's Picture Book, it sounds so much like Warning!

-There's also The Beatles' Hey Jude, it sounds like When its Time

There's a bunch more but you get the point xD

So do you guys know some other songs we can share together?

Oh Love sounds like The Morlocks "Get Out Of My Life, Woman" - the guitar effect of the Buzz - The Morlocks are 80s Garage Rival band that guitar Buzz is expected.

Stray Heart sounds like "A Town Called Malice" by The Jam and that song "Are Going to Be My Girl" - very over-used rhythmn

BOBD - the first part sounds a slowed down version of "wonderwall" at the start by Oasis

The forgetten reminds me of John Lennons Imagine - the rhymn of the paino is simular.

The drum riffs/rthymn in Know Your Enemy is stereotype and simular to many songs another over-used rthymn - Songs like the rthymn from both Ocean Colour Scene "you've got it bad" and "Travellers Tune" etc etc.....over-used rhythmn/Drum pattern.

Christie Road gituar at the last part of the song sounds little like "Wild Thing" but with different chords and ever-so-slightly changed rthymn - and a bit faster

OOOps I did it the wrong way around.

Also the Punk Pop/Pop Punk and boybands with gituars usually write and seem to strive to sound like Green Day. Those copycats came after Green Day and music journalists decided it would a cool idea to put Green Day in the same Genre while they took a retrospective look at the band and their biographies. Started in the early 2000s and it stuck to them like glue ever since and now if anyone says that they arent Pop Punk get cyber-slapped. A majority of those bands like Good Charlotte and Sum 41 and Blink etc and including Brittish Boybands With Gutars like McFly and Busted do not seem to have an orgin or scene they have had played within. Now if you say that Green Day are not in this catagory you get it from people - it was those music journalists who pushed them into that genre in the early Noughties and the label stuck. Every time I point this out, I get it from people and then I get blocked and removed. Its true. The journalists in the 90s labels them as "alternative" and then 2000s as "Pop PUnk" and in the 2010s full circle back to their orgins.

picture book vs warning (intro)

downtown vs waiting (chorus)

telephone line vs 21 guns (chorus)

heart of gold vs 21 guns (verse)

everywhere you look 21 guns (solo/bridge)

summer of 69 vs jesus of suburbia

Archived