Green Day songs that sound like other songs

StuckWithInsomnia

Funny how it's removed by the fact that it's Em G D D instead of Em G D A but uses the same delay effect to bring it right back to rip-off territory.

What delay effect? It's a tremolo, which is actually a volume effect, and has been very common in rock for years. The most obvious example being How Soon Is Now by The Smiths.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What delay effect? It's a tremolo

Don't judge me, I play acoustic. I don't know your fancy pedal terms.

Don't judge me, I play acoustic. I don't know your fancy pedal terms.

Not judging, just educating.

A ripoff of a ripoff of a ripoff. Ripoffception.

Αnd if we keep looking I'm sure we'll find another song that came out before all these songs. :D

Uptight sounds a bit like Uptight by Stevie Wonder, but the only similarity is really how he sings the word "Uptight". Probably that was a consious or unconscious similarity. Not a major one still. More major ripl-off of that song was Step Out by Oasis (surpisingly...?)

As a more random and personal note: Uptight always reminds me of Waiting a bit. (And Waiting takes one hook from Downtown anyway). But that's how pop songwriting works. You take some influences and add something your own. And it's fine. As long as you don't do too direct ripp-offs. (Which Green Day has unfortunately done in some occasions, and it has been getting worse. ( Especially on Trilogy.) Even if they gave a credit to Sam Cooke I just can't listen to that song. Cos Cooke's version has better lyrics and Cooke's voice suits that particular melody better. So what's the point of ripp-offing if your version is worse than the original?

Uptight sounds a bit like Uptight by Stevie Wonder, but the only similarity is really how he sings the word "Uptight". Probably that was a consious or unconscious similarity. Not a major one still. More major ripl-off of that song was Step Out by Oasis (surpisingly...?)

As a more random and personal note: Uptight always reminds me of Waiting a bit. (And Waiting takes one hook from Downtown anyway). But that's how pop songwriting works. You take some influences and add something your own. And it's fine. As long as you don't do too direct ripp-offs. (Which Green Day has unfortunately done in some occasions, and it has been getting worse. ( Especially on Trilogy.) Even if they gave a credit to Sam Cooke I just can't listen to that song. Cos Cooke's version has better lyrics and Cooke's voice suits that particular melody better. So what's the point of ripp-offing if your version is worse than the original?

I always thought Uptight was similar to the Stevie Wonder song, too. Glad I'm not on my own there.

As for the Sam Cooke thing, whether it's better or worse is entirely down to opinion. I wouldn't call it a direct ripoff, they only borrowed the vocal melody and only for the first half of the song. But then I wouldn't agree that anyone's voice suits a specific melody better than anyone else's. If it's within someone's range and they sound good then so be it, that's the main thing. Personally I prefer Brutal Love, but mainly because the coda, which isn't a ripoff, is brilliant.

yeah but i have grown up listening to sam cooke version so maybe that explain it.

yeah but i have grown up listening to sam cooke version so maybe that explain it.

Yeah, I guess that'd make sense really!

I'm not sure if this has already been brought up or not, but the guitar riff in "Horseshoes and Handgrenades" sounds a lot like "Main Offender" by The Hives.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe not exactly the same, but definitely verrry similar and certainly inspired by American Idiot...

Maybe not exactly the same, but definitely verrry similar and certainly inspired by American Idiot...

Yes, the creator is a Green Day fan and did that on purpose.

It's funny cause I always thought it sounded like Rise And Fall by The Offspring ^^

• 1 month later...

State of Shock sounds like Pinhead Gunpowder's High Maintenance to me, and then again like Scumbag :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know why, but when I first heard Nice Guys Finish Last, it immediately reminded of the beginning of American Idiot (the Awesome as F**k version).

Never heard the similarities between Wonderall and BOOBD

This and WMUWSE on the other hand...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRxhU176QyI

• 5 weeks later...

WMUWSE is definitely Billies take on Kiss Me Deadly by Generation X

Fell For You sounds like a perfect blend of I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend by The Ramones and What Your Doing by The Beatles. Legit has the same drum opening.

86 is the riff from Achin To Be by The Replacements

pre Kerplunk songs sound alot like Husker Du songs. Only Of You = Standing In The Rain. At The Library = Flip Your Wig. The soft part in Dissapearing Boy is extremely similar to the soft part in Celebrated Summer

• 2 months later...

During an impromptu ska jam of X Kid, I realised that the chorus is the same as the verse of Another Girl, Another Planet by The Only Ones.

For you heathens who don't know it, the part I'm talking about starts at 0.24 and continues for most of the song.

• 1 month later...

Archived