Green Day songs that sound like other songs

StuckWithInsomnia

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of Jesus Of Suburbia, obviously the chorus of City Of The Damned is basically Summer of 69. Is any part of that song truly original? :P

And a part of it draws influence from Children of The Grave by Black Sabbath..

Some of Brutal Love sounds a lot like Sam Cooke's Bring It On Home to Me.

• 1 month later...

And a part of it draws influence from Children of The Grave by Black Sabbath..

I'm incredibly happy you caught that. I heard it, ran to this thread, and was glad to see someone heard it as well.

Some trilogy stuff:

I hate that 'Stray Heart' reminds me of Jet... :-(

Some people have said 'Kill the DJ' reminds them of 'Take Me Out' by Franz Ferdinand - I can kinda see the songs being second cousins I guess.

The bridge/solo melody of 'Carpe Diem' makes me think of 'Ruby Soho' by Rancid

Some of Brutal Love sounds a lot like Sam Cooke's Bring It On Home to Me.

I'm aware this was ages ago but I'm replying anyway :P Sam Cooke actually has a writing credit for Brutal Love, they intentionally "borrowed" it.

Some trilogy stuff:

I hate that 'Stray Heart' reminds me of Jet... :-(

Some people have said 'Kill the DJ' reminds them of 'Take Me Out' by Franz Ferdinand - I can kinda see the songs being second cousins I guess.

"Take Me Out" is a rip off of this:

and Stray Heart sounds more like this:

Also the guitar intro of Jackass is from the Kink's song "A Well Respected Man".

Does anyone else remember a UK band called (I think) Secret Garden? They tried to sue GD for 'Warning' sounding like one of their tunes?

Did anything ever come of that? I was reported by the likes of Kerrang etc at the time.

You can hear some similarities between Wild One and Cheap Trick's "Lovin' Money".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9YB6_ecVWc

Brutal Love has the melody of Sam Cooke's "Bring It On Home To Me" but it also sounds like these songs:

Queen - Rock It (Prime Jive)

The Wildhearts - Sky Chaser High

U2 - Love Rescue Me

R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts

I'm aware this was ages ago but I'm replying anyway :P Sam Cooke actually has a writing credit for Brutal Love, they intentionally "borrowed" it.

That's what I get for not opening the booklet...

Brutal Love has the melody of Sam Cooke's "Bring It On Home To Me" but it also sounds like these songs:

Queen - Rock It (Prime Jive)

The Wildhearts - Sky Chaser High

U2 - Love Rescue Me

R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts

The only similarities there are that they all use arpeggiated chords. You could name a million similar songs if that's the criteria.

That's what I get for not opening the booklet...

That means going near the album, and no one wants to do that.

So, you're with the "cool folk" who don't like the Trilogy? Tut-tut..

So, you're with the "cool folk" who don't like the Trilogy? Tut-tut..

I have my own justifiable opinions if that's what you mean :P

's OK, I ALREADY REVENGED YOU. :P

I like Uno and Tre so feel free to revoke it ;)

Then you didn't know what album this particular song was on, so I win.

Oh, the salad days.

Bad days.

Days.

Oh, wait, this is about Green Day. Sorry. I CAN DO IT. I'M TAKING IT TO THE SPAM THREAD.

When I first heard American Idiot I thought that the riff was similar to Circle Jerks' "Coup D'etat".

The beginning of Billy Currington's "Hey Girl" sounds like Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

Whoa, that's like a direct ripoff! Shocking.

The beginning of Billy Currington's "Hey Girl" sounds like Boulevard of Broken Dreams.

A ripoff of a ripoff of a ripoff. Ripoffception.

A ripoff of a ripoff of a ripoff. Ripoffception.

>implying Wonderwall was the first Em G D A song ever

That's the only similarity it has to Boulevard, after all. Hey Girl has that lead part.

>implying Wonderwall was the first Em G D A song ever

That's the only similarity it has to Boulevard, after all. Hey Girl has that lead part.

Apart from the fact it's played on an acoustic guitar with a similar tone at a similar speed. I don't know if they meant to rip it off or not, but I can see why Noel was unhappy, even if that does make him a massive hypocrite.

Speaking of BOBD, its opening is very similar to Rise Against's "Make It Stop (September's Children)", though in this case Green Day came first.

Apart from the fact it's played on an acoustic guitar with a similar tone at a similar speed. I don't know if they meant to rip it off or not, but I can see why Noel was unhappy, even if that does make him a massive hypocrite.

It doesn't even have the same strumming pattern. It's just a silly thing, nothing more.

At least it isn't as bad as people claiming Brain Stew is a rip-off of 25 or 6 to 4 when Robby Planters and the Zeppelin Boys released Babe I'm Gonna Leave You a whole year before.

Speaking of BOBD, its opening is very similar to Rise Against's "Make It Stop (September's Children)", though in this case Green Day came first.

Funny how it's removed by the fact that it's Em G D D instead of Em G D A but uses the same delay effect to bring it right back to rip-off territory.

Archived