Green Day songs that sound like other songs

StuckWithInsomnia

9 hours ago, zeldachick14 said:

Telephone line by ELO and 21 Guns

I jumped up a feet or two when I first heard Telephone Line. It's really very similar. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure if this has been noticed before but the drum intro to Lights Out is almost identical to the single mix of California Uber Alles, and the end of East Jesus Nowhere is taken from it too.

• 4 weeks later...

Listening to Revolution Radio for the first time and noticed that Outlaws chorus sounds very similar to the one in Lupe Brown by The Fratellis...

Got any other Green Day songs that you think sound similar to other songs? Lets hear 'em!!

@cartoonjunkie There was already a thread for Green Day songs that sound like other songs, so I've merged your new thread into it.  You can continue the discussion here :)  Remember to make sure to search before creating new threads!

6 hours ago, cartoonjunkie said:

Listening to Revolution Radio for the first time and noticed that Outlaws chorus sounds very similar to the one in Lupe Brown by The Fratellis...Got any other Green Day songs that you think sound similar to other songs? Lets hear 'em!!

Hey! Welcome back :) surprised to see you around, I thought you were done with Green Day. 

• 6 months later...

Guys has anyone noticed AAF solo of Going to Pasalaqua and intro of Dreamcatcher

On August 19, 2016 at 5:40 PM, PussySlayer said:

I always hear When I Come Around.

Same chords and I'll say same tempo

• 11 months later...

Necroing like hell but anyone think the opening guitar of Somewhere Now sounds like the acoustic guitar in the end of 13th Floor Vendetta by the Damned?

On 13/11/2016 at 10:31 AM, Slash said:

Troubled Times sounds very similar to While My Guitar Gently Weeps. 

And so does Restless Heart Syndrome ^^

Is there a thread for GD songs that sound like other GD songs?

9 minutes ago, Jollyroger118 said:

Not that I'm aware of. But I'm sure you can just use this thread for that.

Also, Misery and Viva la Gloria (Little Girl) sound like Mama by MCR

55 minutes ago, Jollyroger118 said:

I feel like Android and Emenius Sleepus sound very similar with the instrumentals.

GD Songs that Sound Like Others

Rather than mention the ones that everyone notices, here are some less popular ones:

• The harmonica on Hold On — I Should Have Known Better by The Beatles
  • The guitar solo on 21 Guns — Full House intro
  • Ending of Worry Rock – Ending of Nowhere Man by The Beatles 

Side Project Songs that Sound Like Other Songs

• Intro to The Last Time — intro to I Want to Hold Your Hand by The Beatles
  • The Last Time— Please Mr. Postman popularized by The Marvelettes
  • Love is For Losers — Waiting (which sounds similar to Downtown by Petula Clark)
  • Alligator — You Really Got Me by The Kinks

GD Songs That Sound Like GD Songs

• Harmonica on Walking Alone — Solo on When It's Time
  • Verses of Walking Alone — Verses of Amy
  • I always like this one! The phrasing in FOD, "Somethings On My Mind..." is similar to the following lyrics:
    - Cheapskate on the Hill...
    - Nice Guys Finish Last...
    - Deadbeat Holiday...

There are many videos on YouTube which compare GD songs with other songs.

You can't find me a GD song that I can't find something like it.  Billie and the gang do not fear paying homage or playing to their influences including themselves.  

If you think the problem with 21 guns is the solo sounding like Full House intro, you may want to listen to Telephone Line by ELO :lol:

• 8 months later...

Tonight on A Little Part Of Me Dies With Each New Song I Discover Green Day Ripped Off: the guitar riff from The Pretty Things' "Midnight to 6 Man".

3 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Tonight on A Little Part Of Me Dies With Each New Song I Discover Green Day Ripped Off: the guitar riff from The Pretty Things' "Midnight to 6 Man".

Which song?

10 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Which song?

Broadway! Their only excuse it that the entire Foxboro album is playing with 60's influences and not hiding it. :P

40 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Broadway! Their only excuse it that the entire Foxboro album is playing with 60's influences and not hiding it. :P

I don’t think it’s fair to do that with the Foxboro album for that very reason. One song is I’m Not Your Stepping Stone, another is You’ve Really Got Me, etc. 

49 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

I don’t think it’s fair to do that with the Foxboro album for that very reason. One song is I’m Not Your Stepping Stone, another is You’ve Really Got Me, etc. 

Yeah, it's the way Foxboro is and they obviously did it on purpose, so it's more about finding the source of inspiration than being surprised they took from older songs. 

I agree Foxboro gets a pass for "copying", nice to know another one they drew inspiration from though!

Archived