Green Day songs that sound like other songs

StuckWithInsomnia

Well it's just like saying Smells Like Teen Spirit is a Queens Of The Stone Age song just because Dave Grohl played in both bands. It's different with The Network because it's all the same members.

WOW THIS SURE IS FUN

LET'S TALK ABOUT TECHNICALITIES SOME MORE

FUCK THE THREAD

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whenever I try to play Bulletproof Heart by My Chemical Romance, I always end up playing Walk Away. I think these songs are quite similar, especially at the chorus.

WOW THIS SURE IS FUN

LET'S TALK ABOUT TECHNICALITIES SOME MORE

FUCK THE THREAD

Sorry, I'll run my posts through your approval filter next time, shall I?

Well it's just like saying Smells Like Teen Spirit is a Queens Of The Stone Age song just because Dave Grohl played in both bands. It's different with The Network because it's all the same members.

I love them both. A better analogy would have been smells like teen spirit is a foo fighters song cause DG is in both bands. I'm sad to say buy some people don't know about dave and the queens

I love them both. A better analogy would have been smells like teen spirit is a foo fighters song cause DG is in both bands. I'm sad to say buy some people don't know about dave and the queens

It would have been the same analogy, surely? Dave Grohl is the only one from Nirvana in either of those bands. In fact, QOTSA would be a better analogy, because less people know about that, and pretty much no one outside of the Green Day fanbase even know The Boo existed.

Sorry, I'll run my posts through your approval filter next time, shall I?

And I'll make sure mine are 110% related to the band. Just Billie Joe, Mike, and Tré, nothing even slightly disconnected from Green Day.

Sounds like a nice agreement. And should anyone else ever try to post about Billie's side-band again, we'll shit up that thread too! Hooray!

Well the band Joint Aktion is a Green Day inspired band. So a lot of their songs sound like early GD like Dookie era.

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen Sum 41 perform a few times and the way that the lead singer moves, plays guitar, stands when he plays, and even twitches his head is a direct emulation of Billie Joe.

Not to say I don't do the same thing when I play live....just sayin....

One that I just noticed, I can't believe I've never clocked it before. I don't think I've ever come across any mention of it, either.

"I just wanna see the light."

"I just died in your arms tonight."

Same melody, same rhythm, they even fucking rhyme with each other.

:lol: That's brilliant!

But... wrong thread?

Shit I thought I clicked on the dreams thread, sorry. :lol:

• 4 months later...

Firstly, my apologies if there already is a thread on this subject. If so, please direct me to it and/or incorporate this post into it.

The dudes in Green Day obviously are familiar with much of the rock and pop canons since they're, like, mega old and have been playing music for a while. As occurs, Green Day occasionally lifts riffs, licks, or melodies from other songs and appropriates them for their own use. Let's talk about those instances.

Here are a few that initially come to mind:

1. A lot of the melody and chord structure of "Fell for You" comes from "Postcards from Paradise" by Flesh for Lulu. This isn't super surprising as Paul Westerberg, one of Billie Joe's favorites, covered the song on his 2002 album Stereo.

"Postcards from Paradise" by Flesh for Lulu: http://youtu.be/5J3ZjxIQgFE

2. The verse melody from "Waiting" comes from the chorus of "Downtown" by Petula Clark.

Check out Ms. Clark's song here: http://youtu.be/WUSYb3igXzI

3. The main riff of "Walking Contradiction" and bridge of "Haushinka" come from "Do It Again" by The Kinks.

The Kinks doing their thing: http://youtu.be/XfGwjHg9gyU

4. This might be the best known one. The riff from "Brain Stew" comes directly from "25 or 6 to 4" by Chicago.

Chicago playing the riff first: http://youtu.be/iUAYeN3Rp2E

This thread isn't meant in bad spirits. All musicians play off their influences. It's interesting to talk about. Let's not pretend that Green Day pulled all of their hooks out of thin air. Like all of us, they are the product of a specific time and place in popular music.

The first verse of City Of The Damned sounds like On With The Show by Motley Crue.

The chorus of 21 Guns is really similar to the chorus of All The Young Dudes by Mott the Hoople.

The piano intro from Isolation by John Lennon is almost the same as the one from Last Night On Earth.

And the last one is more personal, I've always thought One For The Razorbacks slightly sounds like We're Not Gonna Take It by Twisted Sister :)

The very beginning of Tales of Another Broken Home from Jesus of Suburbia has a lot in common with Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire.

If so, please direct me to it and/or incorporate this post into it.

Merged :)

Speaking of Jesus Of Suburbia, obviously the chorus of City Of The Damned is basically Summer of 69. Is any part of that song truly original? :P

Offspring's song "Nothingtown" sounds like a Green Day song. So that's kind of the opposite this thread is about but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Speaking of Jesus Of Suburbia, obviously the chorus of City Of The Damned is basically Summer of 69. Is any part of that song truly original? :P

Hah, 'American Jesus' FTW. :P

I pointed this out in another thread, but Sassafras Roots kinda sounds like Pinhead Gunpowder's Life During Wartime, and Android to me kinda vaguely is a bit (running out of weasel words) like PG's 27.

Fuck Time sounds a lot like Foxboro Hot Tubs' "It's Fuck Time"

Archived