Oh Love (Song of the Week)

pasalaska

It's almost a week since I started listening to this song pretty insanely, so now I think I've figured out my feeling about it (even though they may will change with the passing of time, different situations, experiences, etc, you know).

Well, I love this song. It conveys me a very strange mix of feelings that is hard to me to figure out, there's love, there's resignation, there's that need of freedom, of something more... I just can't be satisfied. That's the feeling it conveys me more, insatisfaction, especially with the verses and their short, fragmentary sentences. But I find it... therapeutic. Or better, cathartic. That's the right word. Yesterday I was listening to the song while doing a thing I really like and I stopped myself for contemplating that moment and how much of serenity, quiet, relax I was feeling. It makes me feel better, lighter, free from that terrible emotion that it conveys to me. Same thing happens to me with Words I Might Have Ate... but that's another story :lol:

However, I'm not an expert of music in a technical sense, so I wanted to ask you if you can hear that strident sound at about 04:12... Is that the guitar? Or am I totally wrong and there's nothing actually? It happened to me twice that I stopped the song because I thought my dogs were fighting and one of them was yelping, then I realized it was the song :lol:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's almost a week since I started listening to this song pretty insanely, so now I think I've figured out my feeling about it (even though they may will change with the passing of time, different situations, experiences, etc, you know).

Great post!

After having the song on repeat for nearly a week myself, there are two more things I've observed about it that really separate it from the AI/21stCB era.

First -- and particularly where comparing it to 21stCB is concerned -- Oh Love focuses on action in the here-and-now or at least the immediate future. 21stCB is all talk and no action....for example, Horseshoes & Handgrenades is all about "I'm gonna...I'm gonna...I'm gonna....and then the only thing that actually changes after Gloria has her hissy fit is she surrenders in 21 Guns. Indeed, one major theme in the entire album's storyline is how one's own self-destructive behaviors become an impediment to positive change. Even American Idiot, with a gripping and more detailed plot that highlights the plight of apathetic, disconnected youth and the effective loss of that generation, presents a character who goes through an incredible transformative experience but exits it basically the same as he was when he began -- at home, stuck in Jingletown, with no future, and with (to use Johnny's line from the Broadway show) "lies to tell". In contrast, in Oh Love, the narrator weighs the risks and rewards of what looks like will be a romantic affair of some sort, and decides that "tonight my heart's on the loose." What's more, in Dos, he will apparently act on that choice. Good or bad, beneficial or destructive, the narrator actually does something in the trilogy -- thus changing the entire focus of Billie Joe's songwriting from moody, contemplative, inward thinking to overt, outward, tangible action.

Secondly -- Tre's drum hits. They're not throttled, they're not excessively compressed. You not only hear them in the mix, but for the first time in Green Day recorded history, if you listen to the song on reasonably good equipment you can actually feel them like you do when they play live.

Sorry about my most resent post my friend wanted to post something On here about this topic. She thinks she knows everything... Obviously not. But what I have to say, is that KNow Your Enemy was the first single for 21 Century Breakdown, it was kind of like Oh Love, people were iffy on it. They judge the album from that first single.. And the underestimated it even m

More because it was following op American Idiot. But in the end 21 Century Breakdown was a kick ass album!!

Great post!

Thank you, I'm honoured! I have to say, I always love your posts :)

Another thing I think about this song. In the video in which they announced the trilogy they talk about a story or a sort of thing (that's what I can hear, maybe I'm wrong :lol: ). So, here we've got "don't stop when the red light flash", then we'll have "stop when the red light flash". Now we've got "Oh Love", then we'll have "Brutal Love"... Just coincidences? Maybe this song will have a different meaning after the realease of the trilogy and maybe those words which now sound pretty random will make sense :) Don't forget this is the last song of the album and maybe there's a reason for that. These are just my speculations, probably they'll be completely wrong ;)

In the video in which they announced the trilogy they talk about a story or a sort of thing (that's what I can hear, maybe I'm wrong :lol: ). So, here we've got "don't stop when the red light flash", then we'll have "stop when the red light flash". Now we've got "Oh Love", then we'll have "Brutal Love"... Just coincidences?

Not in the least. U/D/T is going to be a series of connected concept albums, this time without characters connecting the dots so you'll have to watch for musical styles and cross-references in the lyrics intstead. Gonna be a fun ride!

I'd love it if the song sounds dirtier, and one of the ways to make it dirtier is to not even use a tad bit of autotune

I've been a Green Day fan since I was old enough to decide my musical taste for myself. I can honestly say that I enjoy every single thing they have put out. Yes, even Know Your Enemy. Needless to say I had been counting the days for the first single like the rest of you guys. I knew the plan was to go back to the simplicty of Dookie, but I wasn't sure how it was going to sound after American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown. As soon as I heard Billie's voice with the opening riff I was hooked. The song is so simple yet so perfect. It draws you in from the start with the simple palm muted guitar to the build up into a very catchy chorus. I absolutly love the solo. It brought a teer to my eye. As far as the lyrics go, I love them. Kurt Cobain said that the purpose of lyrics are to serve the song. That is exactly what these lyrics do. They have a message you can interpret for yourself using simple words that you can understand and that flow well with the song. If those aren't great lyrics then I don't know what are. As far as the debate about it being to long, yes, it is a bit long for such a simple song seeing as how 21st Century Breakdown was only a little over five minutes and to me it felt like that song had much more to it, but I would rather have to much Green Day than to little.

Thanks guys for the interpretations! There are some things I didn't notice, really helpful information :D

As far as the debate about it being to long, yes, it is a bit long for such a simple song.

Check out Matt's home-brew radio edit -- he used his own tools to edit the full-length single down to match an edit he heard on one of his local radio stations and he did a great job with it. http://www.greendayc...70#entry4799880

Personally I think I like the full-length version best. The palm-muted guitar, the quiet gaps, and the "explosive wall of sound that leads you off into the silent abyss" thing they do right at the end of the bridge are as much a part of the song's message as the lyrics themselves are.

I like the idea of the trilogy to be like a concept album trilogy based purely on the music and lyrics kind of connecting to each other. I'm pretty sure that the album themes will function as a "storyline" in a way. Kind if like the soundtrack you will hear on the background of a movie you are watching where the music sets the atmosphere and mood and the lyrics just supporting the music rather than the story of the movie.

Only now we will be imagining the "movie" while listening to all three albums and how each one functions as a bridge to the next one. The great thing about it that we all will be having our own kind of story from our own interpretations. This probably won't work that well with the singles but I'm sure they will help to get a wider audience to get involved with the albums to join the wild roller coaster ride with us.

I like the idea of the trilogy to be like a concept album trilogy based purely on the music and lyrics kind of connecting to each other. I'm pretty sure that the album themes will function as a "storyline" in a way. Kind if like the soundtrack you will hear on the background of a movie you are watching where the music sets the atmosphere and mood and the lyrics just supporting the music rather than the story of the movie.

A little OT from Oh Love, but the way Billie Joe has been describing these albums as vaguely conceptual and saying how he feels that everyone "wants to hear an album with a story" where the songs all tie together, and how they will likely always make records where that is the case... I honestly feel like they've virtually ALWAYS made conceptually united albums, with the only exception being Nimrod. All the songs on Dookie have a singular, united sound, all the songs on Insomniac, Warning, AI, 21CB, etc. Nimrod was just a smorgasbord of different Green Day stylings, and likely something they will never recreate. (If they had decided to just release one new album with only the "best" songs on UDT, it probably would have turned out like Nimrod---all over the place, musically---so they did three complete thoughts instead).

I love this song. I have listened to it like a millions of times but I'm still not bored. I keep on humming it the whole day and I prefer the full version than the edit ! :)

I've been addicted to this song from the minute I watched it in Youtube. I want my special someone to sing this for me. THIS SONG IS REALLY AWESOME !!!

The lyrics are simple and the song is awesome. It sounds like a song from "Warning".

I don't know... I think this song is entirely too long, and not at the right tempo. It creeps through each verse towards the chorus, but never really builds to anything in the end. When you listen to it at 3:45, it sounds exactly the same as the first minute of the song, with no instrumentation aside form the sporadic guitar strums.

Not my favorite Green Day song, but certainly not a bad song. I like the themes that the guys are revisiting, a lot of their early stuff was based on struggles with love. I know the lyrics are more complex and symbolic than that of 39/Smooth, but I don't think this song is at all far off of that album thematically. And unfortunately, to me it takes a page out of Rest's book by being just a bit too slow and empty musically.

I don't know... I think this song is entirely too long, and not at the right tempo. It creeps through each verse towards the chorus, but never really builds to anything in the end. When you listen to it at 3:45, it sounds exactly the same as the first minute of the song, with no instrumentation aside form the sporadic guitar strums.

Not my favorite Green Day song, but certainly not a bad song. I like the themes that the guys are revisiting, a lot of their early stuff was based on struggles with love. I know the lyrics are more complex and symbolic than that of 39/Smooth, but I don't think this song is at all far off of that album thematically. And unfortunately, to me it takes a page out of Rest's book by being just a bit too slow and empty musically.

yeah, i think so, this song too long,

i'm always listen this song until the solo...

and i repeat from beginning, cause after solo, the sounds just like beginning

and i think boring when just listened this song, but when i sing too, its good :happy:

I have not posted any review or thoughts of this song yet, mainly because I have been insanely busy or out of the country. Warning, this may get soppy. . . .

I have found many times in my 21 years that at certain points in life, certain songs just come along at the perfect moment to strike you at a pure emotional level. This has happened me with "Oh Love". Just as I was about to embark on my first couples holiday with my girlfriend of 2 and a half years, Oh Love was released. And the timing just couldn't have been better! This song just hits me. It's lyrics raise up deep feelings of love and raw emotion which has lead me almost to tears once or twice (yes I realise how manly this sounds :P). I found myself a couple of times just listening to the song and staring at her, just smiling to myself about how true those lyrics are to me. I cherish every moment with her and really do not want "life to pass me by".

Billie Joe's raw unpolished delivery in the opening lines sweetly draws the listener in with its repetition. The anthem style of the the verse is the hook of the song, whereas in most songs the chorus is usually the hook, and makes the listener want to keep listening longer. My interpretation of the lyrics is of someone who is totally besotted with their partner, "wearing my heart on a noose" shows this and translates to me that the singers heart belongs to his/her lover, be it for good or bad. They may choose to screw over the singer, resulting in the bad side of the noose analogy, or to cherish it.

Another thing that hits me about the song, is the raw, unpolished, almost laid back sound of the instruments, it reminds me of a garage rock type of vibe. Instantly I was reminded of a band that just sets out to write songs and ends up coming out with something pretty damn awesome. This is again shown after the first chorus with the casual guitar slide, the varied pattern on the muted notes, the snarled casual "yeah" from Billie and the bluesey almost improvised guitar solo. It just gives a more down to earth, raw feel to a pretty 'anthem' type of song.

Just to finish, this song is not the greatest thing the band have produced so far. It's no Jesus of Suburbia, Basket Case, etc. I do not believe it will feature in many people's "Top 10 Green Day Songs". But this song is the perfect representation of where the band are now. It's laid back, combines elements such as Foxboro Hot Tubs and what I believe to be an improvement in Billies vocal delivery (coming from his stint as St. Jimmy in the musical) to blend perfectly into a damn good Green Day song. People expecting something like American Idiot or Dookie will be disappointed, the band have evolved. Upon hearing this song I was reminded of what it was like being 13, and hearing Green Day for the first time, it gave me those chills goosebumps I got the first time I heard "Waiting" or "American Idiot".

Overly long, overly emotional review. Don't care. I am absolutely pumped for the whole album and the trilogy. Have not listened to many of the rough versions of the songs so I count myself in for a damn pleasant surprise, if "Oh Love" is any indication. Absolutely love the musical direction and attitude of the guys for the trilogy

A great way to say that you love the song ! I have the same feeling. I got goosebumps when I first listened to it ! It was just awesome.

Glad you took the time to write that, I enjoyed reading it. Totally agree, it's perfect for the band right now and the way their music is right now is just brilliant. Awesome about the timing for you too!

I don't know about this song It sounds great but it's definitely not their best. Can't wait for all three albums! But I'm probably gonna get lost trying to find a song to listen to from every album since there are like 30+ tracks all together *_*

Glad you took the time to write that, I enjoyed reading it. Totally agree, it's perfect for the band right now and the way their music is right now is just brilliant. Awesome about the timing for you too!

Yeah but it came out much cheesier and soppier than I expected :P

I'm going to be honest, when I read the short interview Billie did with the Rolling Stones Magazine (I think it was Rolling Stones) where he says the band was heading in a more power-pop direction with these albums, I was pretty doubtful. However, after listening to Oh Love over and over and over again, I've fallen completely head over heels for the song and I am so much more pumped for this trilogy :dance:

i think power pop and pop punk are almost the same thing.. almost.

i think power pop and pop punk are almost the same thing.. almost.

It depends. I think most things classified as pop-punk aren't actually pop-punk. But yeah, I agree, some types of pop-punk are very similar to power pop.

Couldn't find this online to quote, so this is People Magazine's review:

"Equal parts punk stomp and pop splendor, the first single from the trio's upcoming album trilogy had me at hello - or at least the crunchy guitar riff that kick-starts it all. Oh yeah!" 4 stars

Archived