Oh Love (Song of the Week)

pasalaska

I'm quite late in posting my thoughts, but I really just have to say, that, on first listen, the song blew me away. The shitty Red 7 version on Youtube did not do the song justice, and the song exceeded my expectations. I've had it on repeat for the past couple of days. Also, I just have to say that the video is going to be amazing :)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sit him down on a couch and tell him how he really feels :P

I'd LOVE for some of this to get back to BJ and for him to say "man, that guy REALLY fucked that one up!" I'd wear that as a badge of honor!

This song gets even better every time I listen to it. I really can't believe it... I never expected to like it this much. In a way I was expecting it to just be average, an ok song but not something I feel strongly about. I love it though.

Well my analysis is totally personal and I have no idea if it reflects anything Billie had in mind or not, but a few people enjoyed my 21CB ones so I thought I might as well do one for this.

So I get the impression that the narrator is alone, in love with this person that he "just can't have". He just desperately wants this person both sexually and romantically and it hurts; he's finally let his heart loose but it feels like it's "on a noose". The noose could be the noose of love in general, the fear of failure or the consequences of his actions; or just the noose of knowing that he's pursuing a lost cause. He's wasting away into the feelings.

Nothing he's already got can satisfy him. It's going on endlessly every day, but it only ever results in the same old story. Does the other person return the feelings, is it them who won't see the light of day? Or is it the "losers and choosers" seeing the same story in him all the time, not realising what he's going through?

Now he's half-heartedly trying to talk himself out of feeling any emotion, falling further in love with this person he can't have; talking himself out of tightening the noose, if you like. But all it results in is more sexual tension (had to get that in there somewhere seeing as Billie loves that phrase so much :P ).

I can't wait to see how it progresses into Dos. I get the feeling that the narrator never manages to talk himself out of tightening the noose and he ends up losing all control; then he finds himself self-reflecting on the mess he's made on Tre.

Again that's totally personal, I'd be too uncomfortable to try to relate anything to Billie's actual life.

This song gets even better every time I listen to it. I really can't believe it... I never expected to like it this much. In a way I was expecting it to just be average, an ok song but not something I feel strongly about. I love it though.

Well my analysis is totally personal and I have no idea if it reflects anything Billie had in mind or not, but a few people enjoyed my 21CB ones so I thought I might as well do one for this.

So I get the impression that the narrator is alone, in love with this person that he "just can't have". He just desperately wants this person both sexually and romantically and it hurts; he's finally let his heart loose but it feels like it's "on a noose". The noose could be the noose of love in general, the fear of failure or the consequences of his actions; or just because the noose of knowing that he's pursuing a lost cause. He's wasting away into the feelings.

Nothing he's already got can satisfy him. It's going on endlessly every day, but it only ever results in the same old story. Does the other person return the feelings, is it them who won't see the light of day? Or is it the "losers and choosers" seeing the same story in him all the time, not realising what he's going through?

Now he's half-heartedly trying to talk himself out of feeling any emotion, falling further in love with this person he can't have; talking himself out of tightening the noose, if you like. But all it results in is more sexual tension (had to get that in there somewhere seeing as Billie loves that phrase so much :P ).

I can't wait to see how it progresses into Dos. I get the feeling that the narrator never manages to talk himself out of tightening the noose and he ends up losing all control; then he finds himself self-reflecting on the mess he's made on Tre.

Again that's totally personal, I'd be too uncomfortable to try to relate anything to Billie's actual life.

This is the same thing I feel when I listen to this. Forbidden Love or something like that..

I like that! That forbidden love theme is supposed to be a recurring one...we'll see where he takes it!

May I just express my shock that my mom (64 :P), for the first time ever, requested a Green Day song? :o "Can you play that new song from yesterday again? It's cute" (when she says cute she's referring to the music, not the lyrics, she doesn't speak english and I haven't translated it for her).

And also yesterday I showed the song to a (very oblivious about Green Day) friend of mine and he ws like "this might be my favourite song by them so far".

So, maybe this will really help them attract a new, and a bit different, fanbase?

Well I've been getting the midlife crisis vibe from this song since I first heard it, "oh life, please don't pass me by", "won't you please hold on my life?", "hours and hours, like the dog years of the day". Also, the first time I heard something that inmediatelly shocked me was how he went from "won't you take me close to you," to "far away, far away" just from one line to the next. Then on a second listen I started to notice all these sort of contradictory feelings/descriptions, like "I'm wearing my heart on a noose" vs "my heart's on the loose". So, to me, the theory of this song being the representation of an internal conflict, between keeping yourself in control and letting go of all control, between acting by reason vs acting by intuition or desire, seems like a very natural one. Hence that Bastard's interpretation of the song seems very reasonable and plausible, at least to me. Sure, he got enough information in his interpretation like to start writing a novel based on the song ( :lol: ), but that doesn't make it any less viable.

Interesting thoughts again, Bastard. You're putting more effort into this than Green Day did ;)

You need to start calling him Michael :lol: All I can think of when I read your posts is Tyrion Lannister.

You need to start calling him Michael :lol: All I can think of when I read your posts is Tyrion Lannister.

Either that or I need to find myself a more, um, aesthetically pleasing forum handle. :lol:

This is a perfect song for their first single because its catchy, is not a slow song, and if you blast it at a party, people would start dancin.

I saw that GDA posted you could buy the physical CD at Walmart.com. Does anyone know where/if I could get a vinyl copy?

Whenever i hear the "Far Away" part of the song, I picture them riding horses....is that just me? :unsure::D

I heard this song for the first time today at work! I nearly screamed.

I love this song the more I listen to it, it's just so sweet at first and then there's the bittersweet aftertaste when you realize Billie's desperation. We've all gone out to a party hoping to be noticed and sometimes we aren't, and that sucks. But it's always dangerous putting your heart out there only to have it stomped on. It's like Billie is tapping into my brain :P

Guest Honey Emerald

The 3D video with lyrics on the Greenday.com site is mesmerizing

"wearing her heart on her sleeve"... is an old saying... similar to the thing they are saying: "I'm wearing my heart on a noose"

until someone pointed that out to me.. it threw me off as far as what the song was supposed to mean.

Each time I listen to it, I love it more and more. I am literally getting emotional thinking about them coming to Australia for a tour

Each time I listen to it, I love it more and more. I am literally getting emotional thinking about them coming to Australia for a tour

I think it'll play well live -- maybe at about the same place in the set where they put 21 Guns on the last tour. I think songs like Stay The Night might make for better up-tempo openers.

What a beautiful, uplifting song! An absolute joy to listen to, I couldn't be happier with their choice of song to come back with. Gorgeous vocals, clear music, awesome little guitar solo, a lovely upbeat and retro sound. And lyrics about desiring and yearning for someone that bring to mind the sweet love songs on their very first album with their simplicity and desperation. But that are that much more clever and mature at the same time. It's a breath of fresh air after their recent darker and more complex material. Got it stuck on repeat!

It's a breath of fresh air after their recent darker and more complex material. Got it stuck on repeat!

Exactly. I just rewatched those interviews they did where they explained all the songs on 21CB, and I was just exhausted by how heavy it all was, sitting there listen to the three of them talk about such depressing topics. Finally, we can actually ENJOY the music. And that's not to say I didn't enjoy the songs on 21CB, but now I mean these are songs that are actually happy and pretty, even if they have underlying darkness... it's not like the overt cynicism and criticism of the 21CB songs. There, the music was uplifting where the lyrics brought you down---now, BOTH the music and the message can lift you up, because it's not all "Society is doomed." That's coming on Tre with songs like 99 Revolutions, but by then we'll have gone through Fuck Time, so it might be refreshing by then. (Smart to separate an AI-style album from the last two albums with Uno and Dos).

I just rewatched those interviews they did where they explained all the songs on 21CB, and I was just exhausted by how heavy it all was, sitting there listen to the three of them talk about such depressing topics. Finally, we can actually ENJOY the music. And that's not to say I didn't enjoy the songs on 21CB, but now I mean these are songs that are actually happy and pretty, even if they have underlying darkness... it's not like the overt cynicism and criticism of the 21CB songs. There, the music was uplifting where the lyrics brought you down---now, BOTH the music and the message can lift you up, because it's not all "Society is doomed."

I agree. One of the strengths of American Idiot was that it spoke to everyone's common experience -- either personally or through the experiences of someone we might know, even our own kids -- without implying that we were all damned to travel the same route. Viewed in hindsight, 21stCB is a prophecy, and by definition that means telling us things we already know we don't want to hear. Even though that prophecy is spot-on accurate, it's not going to be something you want to pick up and read over and over again, because it's just too depressing to deal with. From all appearances, U/D/T is going to return us to a more AI-like focus, where not every song is necessarily going to nail each of us right between the eyeballs every time. Some will resonate with us on a deep personal or emotional level, others will simply be a good listen...but I both hope and expect that it will be music we'll want to keep on repeat months if not years down the line.

I'm sticking by my analysis of Oh Love as a good clear hint of what's to come. The subject matter will still be very adult-themed but I think it's going to read more like a serious but entertaining "forbidden-romance train wreck" kind of novel instead of another "COME NOW AND JOIN US AS WE RECITE THE DEATH SENTENCE OF THE WORLD!" One thing is clear from Oh Love: I have never heard Green Day have as light and bright a sound as they do on this song. Even as you watch the narrator convince himself that his trip out of the midlife doldrums is best had by chasing after someone who for whatever reason he cannot have, better judgment be damned, you're actually enjoying going along for the ride with him -- and you may even be able to relate some of it to your own life experience.

By the way, I went back to do some more edits of my post on p.1 of this thread -- I'm now looking at the "talk myself out of..." bridge as highlighting the "forbidden love" theme with a little less emphasis on the mid-life crisis. Thanks y'all again for your feedback, my interpretation of the song continues to evolve with your comments!

I like this song, but I think with the controversy with people likeing and not likeing the song, i think if they would have had a song with the prieview videos, people would have better expectations for the three albums. Then Oh Love would be that single that nobody really payed attention to, kind of like Know Your Enemy off of American Idiot.

Ive re-listened to it and I still hate it :( I expected a lot better.

:( That must feel really disappointing. Hopefully you'll like the next one more.

I like this song, but I think with the controversy with people likeing and not likeing the song, i think if they would have had a song with the prieview videos, people would have better expectations for the three albums. Then Oh Love would be that single that nobody really payed attention to, kind of like Know Your Enemy off of American Idiot.

Know Your Enemy was the first single from 21st Century Breakdown not American Idiot...

wow, that's an awesome description :D

can't really describe the pace of this song, but I love it, especially at the climax

Archived