Green Day trilogy featured in Billboard magazine

Rogankiwifruit

"Concert tickets will be bundled with the albums" (the marketing plans part, under Dos strategies).

that sounds impractical. Means you have to wait with buying the album(s) if you want to go to a concert? What?

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, Mike wears something really similar to what Billie wore on stage during the 21CB Tour sometimes. :lol:

I'm sorry, I just had to..

Awwww I'm so excited! Damn! But I really wonder what is about tix in the albums.. Well, we'll know a little bit more about that on monday. :)

They also mention possible tie-in where you get the documentary attached if you pre-order all three albums...? I assume this means we should wait to do whatever official trilogy pre-order is supposedly coming on the 16th?

The story about Train was unexpected. This was a very moving, informative article---WELL DONE BILLBOARD! You've brought tears to my eyes.

I think Amy will probably be a single, it is being very well hyped and I'm sure it will be a beautiful song a la Good Riddance.

The marketing is fascinating and since this is a new thing for a corporation to deal with, it's really a wild card, but I'm glad they have a real plan for it! It's smart to sample songs online, not necessarily as 'singles.'

I'm also really curious what these "key television appearances" will be. If only the Super Bowl was in the fall :lol: What important TV appearances might they make that happen besides award shows? They could probably do another Monday Night Football game... and... the Olympics? :lol:

BTW, many of you say that the European tour would probably be in summer, but I don't think so. If they do that, what about all those months in between?

I bet for the European tour to be right after the US tour (which seems pretty logical to me). Maybe in spring.

That's not only what I think, but it also is what I would love. GD concert in march or may...not so cold...no exams...

With the documentaries and concert tickets possibly being attached to the pre-order, it makes it really worth it to pre-order the albums on Monday.

I love this article, I'm definitely buying the magazine on Monday.

"Concert tickets will be bundled with the albums" (the marketing plans part, under Dos strategies).

that sounds impractical. Means you have to wait with buying the album(s) if you want to go to a concert? What?

I found this on Warner Brothers website when they did the Mark Knopfler Ticket/Cd Bundle. It explains it better.

http://www.warnerbrosrecords.com/knopfler-faq/

I'm so curious how this bundling of tickets is going to work. It makes me wonder if we're gonna get tour dates sometime this weekend or on Monday morning.

Ok folks, the article was chock full of information. I've tried to extract highlights and make some detailed notes of new quotes and things we haven't known til now. I've also added a few questions and thoughts of my own where appropriate. It's quite the list....here goes. I'm dropping the "i!"s at the beginning/end of each album 'cuz I feel fucking lazy. :D

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Tours - Japan, Europe Aug-Sept; New Orleans late Oct., North America late Nov. - January -- concert tickets will be bundled with Dos

Mastered by Ted Jensen (who has mastered Green Day's last 7 albums)

Billie began writing for Uno-Dos-Tre when he was in NYC for AIOB around September 2010. "I was in a world where no one was paying attention to me, so there was no pressure, and I wrote seven or eight songs. We [Green Day?] went to South America and I showed them [Mike & Tre?] the songs. They were ambivalent about it so I just kept writing."

Bille remained serious/steadfast/driven while on the tour in Europe, renting studios on the band's days off "rather than boozing it up." This continued while he was in Broadway for AIOB. "When I was actually in the show and living in New York, I was surrounded by incredibly talented people, something I hadn't experienced in years outside of my band members. Inspiration came from that every day...I was feeding off everybody else and their drive. I set up a small studio in my apartment and wrote 30-second songs, one-minute songs, recorded them and ran off to the theater." Eventually, Billie had more than 55 songs to bring to band practice.

BJ: "The rock opera approach of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown will stand." -- songs are thematically linked (getting the party started, "the depths of hell in the party", and the self-reflection hangover). Thus the songs are threaded together and speak to each other either within each album or across all three; the albums are *not* character-driven like the last two were, however. "Writing records like this comes with life and experience -- shooting from the midlife-crisis hip." Question: this will certainly appeal to the older generations like myself. How will the tweens/teens/twentysomethings respond to it?

Most of the songs were recorded in order, which Cavallo says resulted in the band approaching the songs differently knowing where they will land on a particular album.

Oh Love will be the first of three songs to be released through video before Uno drops on September 25. Second single release is expected August 13. The album itself Will make it in under the Grammy Awards' September 30 eligibility cutoff date.

"Kill The DJ" (Uno) - "revisits funk the way the Clash did in the early '80's"

"Troublemaker" (Uno) - Billie "whips out his trademark sneer". Maybe we will get a little of that good old Insomniac style again after all.

Ambiguous as to whether Kill The DJ and Troublemaker are the other two singles off Uno

"Stray Heart" (Dos) - "perhaps the most pop-driven song in its canon with melodic and harmony references to soul and Carolina beach music"

"Nightlife" (Dos) - "A party tune that tips its hat to gangster-leaning R&B" This is the "rap" song that's been discussed ad nauseum recently. I think it's gonna be interesting at the very least and is likely going to be surprisingly awesome.

"Amy" - will close Dos on a solemn note. Tribute took Billie less than 20 minutes to write. "I know what it's like to go down a really dark path and I have had good people around me to help me survive. Maybe that's why I was able to relate to it."

Expect first video for a Dos song in mid-September. Dos release is timed for Thanksgiving sales and possible AMA booking.

"Brutal Love" (Tre) - melds glam-rock, doo-wop, and soul, and features "swelling strings" at its conclusion

"99 Revolutions (Tre) - "a reminder of the potency of Green Day's early sound"

"Little Boy Named Train" (Tre) - based on a schoolmate of either Joey or Jakob, who was boy being raised by two women. The parents didn't want this child to be identified as either male or female, and the child really didn't have a name. BJ: "It happened to someone else, but there's a part of me I was thinking about when I wrote it. There's a line: 'I'm always lost, I'll never change. Give me directions and I'm lost again.' Kind of autobiographical."

6 to 7 week separation between albums balances a sense of urgency and connection between the albums with giving each album some time to "breathe", which I interpret as "to stand on its own"

The three-album concept sprang from a whim. BJA: "We wanted all of it to come out because we were proud of it".

Billie suggested "Uno", "Dos", "Tre" title set as a joke. Adrienne thought it was a brilliant idea. Later the band bought into it and collectively came up with the idea to put BJ's photo on the first album, Mike's on the second, and Tre's on the third.

Warner initially found the concept "terrifying"; Rob Cavallo seems to have been the one to get the rest of Warner's execs on board: "These guys wrote 38, 39 songs. We're supposed to service the creativity. It's not the other way around. The artist should lead." Takeaway: Rob Cavallo's pride, skin, and reputation is personally at stake in this release. He's more than just a producer here and his own star will rise or fail with its success. Props to him for agreeing to take a big risk and for getting his colleagues to back it.

Cavallo: "Billie thinks really big. He's an exciting writer, an exciting performer. I wish we had more like him in the world. We'd have a more exciting industry."

So exciting! :dance: But I'm not sure whether I understood this ticket stuff.

I found this on Warner Brothers website when they did the Mark Knopfler Ticket/Cd Bundle. It explains it better.

http://www.warnerbro...m/knopfler-faq/

either way you pay for an album you might not want because you already have it.

And pay for it you will, it's definitely included in the ticket price.

"Stray Heart" (Dos) - "perhaps the most pop-driven song in its canon with melodic and harmony references to soul and Carolina beach music"

I love what they say about it :wub:

I love what they say about it :wub:

All I know is whatever way you slice it, this whole thing's gonna be freaking AMAZING. It sounds like there will literally be something for every musical preference somewhere in the trilogy.

BJ: "The rock opera approach of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown will stand." -- songs are thematically linked (getting the party started, "the depths of hell in the party", and the self-reflection hangover). Thus the songs are threaded together and speak to each other either within each album or across all three; the albums are *not* character-driven like the last two were, however. "Writing records like this comes with life and experience -- shooting from the midlife-crisis hip." Question: this will certainly appeal to the older generations like myself. How will the tweens/teens/twentysomethings respond to it?

I remember Billie once said in an interview, 'You have the same problems your whole life, they're just packaged differently the older that you get.' Part of his songwriting talent is his ability to identify the core emotion of his very specific middle-aged-man problems, and speak to that rather than his backaches or his need to buy a sports car to feel young again (Case in point, Carpe Diem--the emotion of staying young)... he did it with Brain Stew ("I'm not gonna sing about how much it sucks to change my baby's diaper... I'm gonna sing about how fucking tired I am.") I'm not worried about ANYONE having trouble relating to whatever old-man problems he now suffers :D

ME TOO

God knows how I much I've been hating all those "stage clothes", looked so fake.

I actually love the stage clothes...

Hmm, not sure I like this ticket/CD bundle thing. I would rather get them separate.

The phrasing of "Concert tickets will be bundled with the albums" confused me... for a second I thought it was a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket scenario where you order the albums and open it up and it might include a concert ticket :P

Instead, I guess I spend an enormous amount of money on a ticket, and get ANOTHER copy of the albums? OK, I'll give them to my mom :lol:

They kind of changed roles ->

Now Mike's the sheriff, Billie's the craziest and Tré is the hotest! <always :lol:

BTW, many of you say that the European tour would probably be in summer, but I don't think so. If they do that, what about all those months in between?

I bet for the European tour to be right after the US tour (which seems pretty logical to me). Maybe in spring.

That's not only what I think, but it also is what I would love. GD concert in march or may...not so cold...no exams...

I'm 99% sure the tour will be around May/June since there is this strong Rock am Ring rumor that was created by the promoter hinself. Rock am Ring will be from June 7th to 9th next year and could be part of a tour full of festivals and solo dates :)

Sure, you never know what's gonna happen, but this seems pretty legit to me. Maybe they'll tour South America or Asia before, no idea...

I got quite emotional reading the story behind the song Little Boy Named Train. The way he described it might just be a solid plot for a drama movie.

Anyway, I really can't wait til I can finally hear the songs we only got to read about til now!

The ticket / album bundle thing confused me. :runaround:

ME TOO

God knows how I much I've been hating all those "stage clothes", looked so fake.

*makes angry facial expression*

I loved the stage clothes

AND the eyeliner. Period.

The phrasing of "Concert tickets will be bundled with the albums" confused me... for a second I thought it was a Willy Wonka Golden Ticket scenario where you order the albums and open it up and it might include a concert ticket :P

Instead, I guess I spend an enormous amount of money on a ticket, and get ANOTHER copy of the albums? OK, I'll give them to my mom :lol:

I thought that was what it meant too :lol: You open the CD case in anticipation of a ticket falling out, and then I had the image of anarchy in HMV where people didn't have a ticket in their CD so they're ripping open cases without buying them :lol:

But that would be stupid

:ninja:

Archived