Green Day trilogy featured in Billboard magazine

Rogankiwifruit

O_____O But I thought I read it came out a few days ago. God I feel stupid. ...But the stores I went to didn't carry the magazine at all, anyway.

Edit: Yeah I read it wrong. :pinch:

I think if you have a subscription for the magazine it would have been delivered to you a few days ago. But the shops don't get it till Monday.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if you have a subscription for the magazine it would have been delivered to you a few days ago. But the shops don't get it till Monday.

Yeah I figured that out now. All the excitement from all the Green Day news is causing me not to read things correctly. :P

Maybe the bundle is Green Day giving us free concert tickets with Dos and a complimentary lolipop.

^ What's the update? This was posted yesterday already.

^ this higher quality then the GDA ones for those people who asked for the best possible

This ain't really relevant to the trilogy, but the article has, in my opinion, really low estimates on total sales of Green Day's albums. Dookie sold 8 million? (It was certified diamond, which I'm pretty sure means it has to have sold at least 10 mill, and most estimates I've seen in articles say 14-20). Are these just total American sales?

Most likely they're refering to billboard sales and not counting riaa numbers

Riaa counts shipped out billboard is what SELLS

Most likely they're refering to billboard sales and not counting riaa numbers

Riaa counts shipped out billboard is what SELLS

Innnnerestin. So what you're saying is that there are roughly 8 million copies of Dookie in storage somewhere :P

Imagine accidentally stumbling into that storeroom :lol:

Article is wrong its over 10x platinum by billboard numbers

Dookie has sold over 8 million copies in the U.S. (according to SoundScan), over 16 million copies worldwide, and has been certified for shipments of 10 million copies in the U.S. (RIAA).

FYI, it is the record companies who pay for the RIAA certifications. In fact, Reprise still hasn't paid for Warning’s Platinum certification or American Idiot's Six-times Platinum certification, despite the aforementioned albums passing those sales figures roughly 11 and 6 years ago, respectively.

FYI, it is the record companies who pay for the RIAA certifications. In fact, Reprise still hasn't paid for Warning’s Platinum certification or American Idiot's Six-times Platinum certification, despite the aforementioned albums passing those sales figures roughly 11 and 6 years ago, respectively.

That's... weird. Does it really cost that much to get these things certified? :dry: Maybe they're just waiting for AI to go diamond so they don't have to pay for a to-be outdated certification :lol:

Actually, that's fucked up. Because in documentaries and stuff they still refer to Warning as an album that "only went Gold," not platinum...

That's... weird. Does it really cost that much to get these things certified? :dry: Maybe they're just waiting for AI to go diamond so they don't have to pay for a to-be outdated certification :lol:

Actually, that's fucked up. Because in documentaries and stuff they still refer to Warning as an album that "only went Gold," not platinum...

I have no idea how much RIAA certifications cost, but I would guess that Warner Bros./Reprise are just lazy, cheap bastards when it comes to updating album certifications. 'Warning' passed the 1 million mark around the end of 2001. Good thing Rob Cavallo is now the chairman of Warner Bros. Since Cavallo is personally invested in the trilogy, at least we now know that album and single promotion will be a lot better than when Tom Whalley was the chairman of Warner Bros. records.

On the other hand, as most of us know, the last album wasn’t really a ‘singles’ album. At least with the songs on the trilogy I have heard so far, there seems to be a lot more options in terms of potential singles. In fact, a band only needs 3 or 4 hit singles for an album to sell really well. I know this sounds easy, but it’s actually pretty difficult to accomplish. Green Day did it twice with ‘Dookie’ (e.g., Longview, Basket Case, Welcome to Paradise, and When I Come Around) and ‘American Idiot' (e.g., American Idiot, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Holiday, and Wake Me Up When September Ends). Given the number of songs on this trilogy, I feel there will be enough potential hits to attract the public’s interest.

I completely agree---the challenge is that there are TOO many potential singles, possibly. All of us here that are familiar with Stay the Night, Carpe Diem, Stray Heart... we already KNOW that these are single-friendly, and yet they might not even be put out, if they choose to go in a different direction. Neither Stay the Night nor Carpe Diem have received any special attention from any of the early reviews of the albums. You'd like to think all the songs are so good that they can't go wrong... but as 21CB proved, we know they can go very, very wrong :lol:

Thankfully, we have Rob fucking Cavallo as omniscient overlord.

I completely agree---the challenge is that there are TOO many potential singles, possibly. All of us here that are familiar with Stay the Night, Carpe Diem, Stray Heart... we already KNOW that these are single-friendly, and yet they might not even be put out, if they choose to go in a different direction. Neither Stay the Night nor Carpe Diem have received any special attention from any of the early reviews of the albums. You'd like to think all the songs are so good that they can't go wrong... but as 21CB proved, we know they can go very, very wrong :lol:

Thankfully, we have Rob fucking Cavallo as omniscient overlord.

I actually thought Stay the Night was definitely going to be the first single :lol: I have a feeling that it will probably be the next one, released in August. Also, wasn't Stay the Night actually considered one of the key tracks by Billboard or someone? My computers being weird and annoying, so I can't double check the scans for some reason haha.

I actually thought Stay the Night was definitely going to be the first single :lol: I have a feeling that it will probably be the next one, released in August. Also, wasn't Stay the Night actually considered one of the key tracks by Billboard or someone? My computers being weird and annoying, so I can't double check the scans for some reason haha.

Nope, Billboard picked "Let Yourself Go" and "Kill the DJ" as key tracks. They did mention Stray Heart for Dos though, the first to do so.

ETA: Also, the magazine mentions that they'll be looking to do the VMAs and AMAs. Pretty certain they won't get Oh Love out in time to be eligible for any VMA noms, and for the AMAs in November, you "can nominate only the works released between 1 December of the previous year and 1 September of the current year," so I guess Uno would be ineligible for those awards :/ I'm sure Warner was referring mostly to them PERFORMING at these ceremonies, but it's always nicer to be nominated that night too. Next year, I suppose!

Nope, Billboard picked "Let Yourself Go" and "Kill the DJ" as key tracks. They did mention Stray Heart for Dos though, the first to do so.

"Let Yourself Go" is not a single. “Kill the DJ” is only mentioned because it so different from anything they have put out before. Just like I knew 'Oh Love' would be a single, I know 'Stay the Night' will be a single. As someone who has followed them for over 18 years, I know what kind of songs Green Day picks for their singles.

"Let Yourself Go" is not a single. “Kill the DJ” is only mentioned because it so different from anything they have put out before. Just like I knew 'Oh Love' would be a single, I know 'Stay the Night' will be a single. As someone who has followed them for over 18 years, I know what kind of songs Green Day picks for their singles.

I know, Let Yourself Go has enormous amounts of cursing, and Kill the DJ is experimental cool. I also thought that Oh Love would be a single, but i think Carpe Diem is equally likely as Stay the Night.

Just read the interview and I know I'm late, but the interview is awesome and now I will have to consider pre ordering all the 3 albums together from greenday.com

They have a pretty good marketing strategies and I'm sure they'll pull it off ! and 3 singles :woot: Just cant wait, its so awesome.. !

I just wanna get my hands on Little Boy Named Train. It will be a masterpiece, I can feel it..

This is a really great interview, it's so nice to finally get more detailed information about the albums. I thought it was especially interesting to read about Billie's creative process, writing songs while he played St. Billie. It's also interesting to know that they hadn't even started planning the records when they played the first secret show! It's funny to hear how Billie came up with the album names, they're really starting to grow on me, even more with reading this!

With the US tour news and festivals and award-shows there, I guess there's not much chance of a UK tour in the fall anymore. It'll be interesting to see if Kerrang has more news about that on Wednesday.

I'm very confused about the pre-order/ticket-bundles/documentary and how this will work. I guess we'll get more details soon. I'll probably end up getting it from one of the stores here, as the release date is September 21st. Won't be able to wait until the US release date!

Sorry if this has been asked already but does anyone know where I can order just this issue online?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQGNLS3YvOo

OMG! Green Day REALLY look very young!!! Love them! :wub:

Archived