Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

She's A Rebel

Song of the Week

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep
In celebration of American Idiot: The Musical on Tour’s closing week, this week’s Song of the Week is She’s A Rebel, American Idiot’s 8th and shortest track, released in 2004.

Lyrically, in relation to the American Idiot story, She’s A Rebel is the point in which the Jesus of Suburbia starts to get side-tracked away from St Jimmy’s path of drugs and destruction, instead finding himself intoxicated by this girl called Whatsername. The song is a slap in the face, a two-minute, vibrant celebration of this bright new force of nature that has the JOS completely and utterly infatuated – she’s holding onto his “heart like a hand grenade”. To the JOS, she is “the revolution” and “dawning” of the new life that he’s been seeking (a lyrical reference back to the song Holiday; “this is the dawning of the rest of our lives”). Whatsername’s persona and spark energises the JOS back to life after his relative sedation in Give Me Novacaine (an energy that’s reflected by the upbeat sound of the song) and “brings the liberation” to him; the liberation he feels he “can’t define”, and “nothing comes to mind”, a nothing that includes his split-personality St Jimmy. She seals both the JOS and St Jimmy in “a double twist of fate” that is played out in the rest of the album.

In American Idiot: The Musical, She's A Rebel is mixed with Last Of The American Girls from 21st Century Breakdown, and is (in my humble opinion) one of the absolute highlights of the show.

This week’s video was filmed in February of 2005 in California for VH1’s Storytellers programme. The video is actually of both Give Me Novacaine and She’s A Rebel, as they transition into one another. She’s A Rebel starts at 3:30, but the highlight of the video starts at 4:23.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKUIOwgJjyE

Lyrics:

She's a rebel, she’s a saint
She's salt of the earth
And she's dangerous

She's a rebel, vigilante
Missing link on the brink
Of destruction

From Chicago to Toronto
She's the one that they
Call old Whatsername

She's the symbol of resistance
And she's holding on my
Heart like a hand grenade

Is she dreaming what I'm thinking?
Is she the mother of all bombs?
Gonna detonate

Is she trouble like I'm trouble?
Make it a double twist of fate
Or a melody that

She sings the revolution
The dawning of our lives
She brings the liberation
That I just can’t define
Well nothing comes to mind

She's a rebel, she's a saint
She's salt of the earth
And she's dangerous

She's a rebel, vigilante
Missing link on the brink
Of destruction

She's a rebel, she’s a rebel, she’s a rebel, and she's dangerous
She's a rebel, she’s a rebel, she’s a rebel, And she's dangerous

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.
  • Ashley!, sassafrasroot, julianna_homicide and 1 other like this

Ashley!

Ashley!
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts
  • Joined Jun 29, 2011
  • 1,093 rep
This is one of my favorite songs from American Idiot (if you couldn't tell :lol:)!

Ritz

Ritz
  • I am the motherfucking best- Mike Dirnt.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,091 posts
  • Joined Mar 27, 2012
  • 7,433 rep
I love this song. One of my favorites. The lyrics are just awesome.

Mar

Mar
  • Streets ahead

• 18,250 posts
  • Joined Jul 23, 2009
  • 5,048 rep
Awesome song. I just love the melody during the "She sings the revolution" part.

Prisca

Prisca
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • Joined Jan 27, 2009
  • 40 rep
Love love love this song!!! I don't think I've heard this track live before, but I would love to!

Nemo.

Nemo.
  • Ein ♥ für virtuelle Menschen

• 6,232 posts
  • Joined Jul 08, 2011
  • 1,929 rep
my less favorite song of AI

Miracless

Miracless
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Joined Jun 01, 2012
  • 222 rep
My mind always connects this song with Dookie's She. :P

BJA TC MD

BJA TC MD
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,371 posts
  • Joined Aug 07, 2011
  • 734 rep
I've always loved She's A Rebel. The first time I heard it I just started dancing like an absolute crazy person. I love the energetic feel to it.

WalkingContradictionPL

WalkingContradictionPL
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts
  • Joined Aug 20, 2010
  • 1,121 rep
I love this song, also for lyrics.

PixlovesBJA

PixlovesBJA
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • Joined Jan 14, 2012
  • 1,556 rep
"She's holding on my heart like a hand grenade". <3 One of my favorite songs from my most favorite album. :wub:

Brigister

Brigister
  • I'm a mess and you're a work of art

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,541 posts
  • Joined Aug 30, 2011
  • 1,192 rep
My first true love :wub: Not sure if the girl in the song or the song itself though :P

elisa

elisa
  • come to me

• 10,534 posts
  • Joined Oct 16, 2006
  • 827 rep
this is the only green day song my best friend kind of likes. and remembers.

frunsi

frunsi
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • Joined Feb 06, 2012
  • 349 rep
god, i haven't listened to this song for ages. it's a very good song tho :happy:

Ilda_25

Ilda_25
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2010
  • 56 rep
"And she's holding on my heart like an hand grenade". Love it! :)

Karol Oliveira

Karol Oliveira
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Joined Nov 08, 2009
  • 561 rep

my less favorite song of AI

mine too.

Advertising

Kristy_TheIdiot

Kristy_TheIdiot
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Joined Jan 01, 2011
  • 155 rep
Great song! Love it!

WestboundSign!

WestboundSign!
  • Invisible Llama

• 6,099 posts
  • Joined Apr 20, 2011
  • 3,486 rep
I really love "She's A Rebel". It fits so perfectly in the whole album. :)

Mandy_PunkRock

Mandy_PunkRock
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,949 posts
  • Joined Jun 27, 2012
  • 1,268 rep
I love She's a Rebel! This song is full of energy, and the lyrics are great! :)

Rianne

Rianne
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Joined May 09, 2010
  • 524 rep
I used to listen to She's A Rebel non-stop back in the days! One of my fave songs from AI.

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,808 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,646 rep
I love the contrast this song gives to Give Me Novacaine. It's something that Green Day overdid on the AI, but they overdid it well. The upbeat, charged Holiday giving way to the mellow build-up of BOBD; the slow, introspective Are We the Waiting segueing into the psychotic fuck-you spectacle of St. Jimmy (the best such transition on the album, imo), and the melancholy feel of Novacaine leading into the driving and carefree She's a Rebel. It was definitely an overdone motif on AI, but because they picked the right songs to pair, it worked.

This also falls into the "songs that should never be made into an acoustic piece, yet somehow they strangely work when they are" category.
  • CristhyneS and Hermione like this

perfectpitchrob

perfectpitchrob
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Joined Apr 10, 2009
  • 158 rep
This song is very underrated in my opinion. It's got great lyrics and the music during the "She sings the revolution" parts is one of the best music motifs on the whole album. Maybe it's overlooked because it's the shortest song.

Laly

Laly
  • Moving Target

• 14,027 posts
  • Joined Oct 13, 2009
  • 15,309 rep
She's A Rebel!!! 2 minutes of pure happy energy!! :dance:
I love this song, it's my ringtone for text messages, but I must confess that it made me jump off my seat more than once :lol:
I also love Billie's dance during his solo, it makes me wanna dance too! :dance:

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,692 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,048 rep
I LOVE this song. It might not be my favourite from the album (or maybe it is), but for some reason whenever I think about American Idiot (the album) She's a Rebel is the first beat and song to come to mind (yes, even before American Idiot, the song, pops in there).... maybe it has something to do with link between the lyrics ("holding on my heart like a hand grenade") and the cover of the album, or maybe it's just because it has such a nice feeling of the album.

And the first video I ever saw of Green Day live, as well as the first video of them I ever downloaded, was one of Give me Novacaine/She's a Rebel (because Novacaine was their first song I truely obsessed with, but as a consequence, I heard a lot of She's a Rebel).

This was that video:

Anyways, whatever the reason, I really love this song, and the combination of Give Me Novacaine - She's a Rebel, truely blows my mind everytime. I finally got to see Novacaine played live in their 2010 tour in South America, now I only wish I ever get to see the two of them being played like in that video.

spark in the night

spark in the night
  • ◊∴◊ 400⋅LUX ◊∴◊

• 29,918 posts
  • Joined Jul 15, 2005
  • 3,022 rep
Yes. Good song.

Love the music. It's fast, goes back and forth kinda like teasing. like nah-nah-nah-nah nah-nah

Malleus

Malleus
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,979 posts
  • Joined Jan 30, 2010
  • 1,517 rep
In almost 8 years I have never noticed that this song is the shortest on AI. Weird.

It's an awesome song though and I've been enjoying it a lot recently. Whenever I listen to American Idiot, I'll listen to this song a couple times more than the others.

kaylubd

kaylubd
  • Resident Shultz/Bellamy Enthusiast

• 6,311 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2012
  • 2,463 rep
Great pick for SOTW! One of the most energetic and fun tracks on the album. This is a song where you can dance around the room to it, whether or not someone is home :)

Android Jesus

Android Jesus
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • Joined Apr 21, 2012
  • 64 rep
It's a very short song, but I love it!! It gives me strength whenever I need it :)

Catbug

Catbug
  • Spermbreath

• 9,000 posts
  • Joined Feb 17, 2009
  • 3,285 rep
Took me a while to get into this song, I always found it a quite annoying song but over time its grown on me. I now love the song and even though its the shortest of the album I just can't get enough of it. I wanted to post this video from Lollapalooza in 2010 where Billie fucks up the lyrics, for those of you who haven't seen it. Its actually a quite nice sounding song when its acoustic

• CristhyneS and Whatsinaname like this

CristhyneS

CristhyneS
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 2,692 posts
  • Joined Sep 07, 2005
  • 1,048 rep
Hahahahaha! I remember seeing that video just a day or two after the show. Very funny.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,449 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,108 rep
Catchiest Green Day song ever! Gets right in my head and just makes me want to bounce around :happy:. It's colourful and upbeat and exciting much like the character it's describing. I love the way Billie writes about strong female characters and this is a great example of it. Badass song.

I love the contrast this song gives to Give Me Novacaine. It's something that Green Day overdid on the AI, but they overdid it well. The upbeat, charged Holiday giving way to the mellow build-up of BOBD; the slow, introspective Are We the Waiting segueing into the psychotic fuck-you spectacle of St. Jimmy (the best such transition on the album, imo), and the melancholy feel of Novacaine leading into the driving and carefree She's a Rebel. It was definitely an overdone motif on AI, but because they picked the right songs to pair, it worked.

I love that too! It makes She's A Rebel feel that much more kickass when it kicks in after the lull at the end of Give Me Novacaine. And I definitely agree that that technique worked, makes the album like a little rollercoaster ride going up and down and faster and slower.

I wish they'd made it a separate song on Green Day Rock Band instead of putting it on the end of Give Me Novacaine though. Sometimes I wanna cut straight to the fun part :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Song of the Week

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users