Idiot Nation

bri1039

no they aren`t part of the pre-order. I need to clarify what the renewal package is now. I know there is a new one. just don`t know what it is. it might be posted about once the box set and whatever else runs out.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just became a member of the Idiot Club for the first time and I really hope that they do something cool before my membership runs out...I most likely won't renew, especially if I don't have a job by then.

• 1 month later...

I've just received a couple of 21st CB's postcards from the Idiot Club, I don't know what is the reason but anyway I like them.

Here is some pictures:

625185IMG00798201211031424.jpg

386694IMG00801201211031426.jpg

Did you received anything these days ?

that`s the renewal package. they mustn`t have decided on the newest one yet and are still sending the postcards out instead. will have to ask what is happening with this now.

The Idiot Club is dirt compared to GDC. I never go on that forum. It's terrible. GDC is such a better place. It looks better, feels better, has amazing people, and so much more activity. It puts the Idiot Club to shame. I'm only a member for the benefits of presales and stuff like that. I hate how they keep raising the price, though and won't let you pay less if you don't want the extra stuff they send you. It was $20 when I first joined and now it's $30! Pretty ridiculous.

I've just received a couple of 21st CB's postcards from the Idiot Club, I don't know what is the reason but anyway I like them.

Here is some pictures:

625185IMG00798201211031424.jpg

386694IMG00801201211031426.jpg

Did you received anything these days ?

I never even got any of those cards!

The Idiot Club is dirt compared to GDC. I never go on that forum. It's terrible. GDC is such a better place. It looks better, feels better, has amazing people, and so much more activity. It puts the Idiot Club to shame. I'm only a member for the benefits of presales and stuff like that. I hate how they keep raising the price, though and won't let you pay less if you don't want the extra stuff they send you. It was $20 when I first joined and now it's $30! Pretty ridiculous.

I never even got any of those cards!

I just checked and you're right! If you want to renew, it costs $28. That's insane, it was already overpriced to begin with.

Renewed back in June, still havnt got the postcards, even though ive emailed them 3 fuckin times now, with no reply. Gah.

Alright Brian, since you asked!

Signup / Price

$20 a year isn't a lot of money for a service, but the Idiot Club falls short as that service. Most people pay that right now "just in case" something comes out. That means at this point you guys are only reaching the fans who have $20 to throwaway in the off chance they get something. You guys should be doing more and making more of a community, you can do that and make it worth $20. Then you guys will get more members. I think two major changes need to happen to the price:

1) If contests will remain US only (which I understand they may because of legal issues), then international fans should be offered a lower price. It's not really fair to them that they can't participate in these contests (which have so far been a big part of joining) yet pay the same price.

2) Make it optional to receive the yearly product. Some people would rather just spend the $20 for membership and have a choice about whether or not they get the shirt or postcards. Some fans will want it, others won't.

Forum

Logging in: I understand the technical issues of this, but this needs to be sorted. You shouldn't have to login twice to get to the forum. Also, you should consider showing the most recently posted in topics on the IC homepage, or even better, GD.com. Give people a reason to be there.

You guys need to build up the community. Interact, give people a reason to communicate and share and post on the IC forum. The reason GDC is so active is not just because we're free, but because we have a team that constantly works on engaging people, and in the early days, we were a major part of all the conversations. There's no reason the IC couldn't have more conversation with the current amount of users, but I don't feel that IC users are as dedicated to the IC as GDC members are here, which is not a good thing considering they're paying for the privilege. That alone should make people MORE committed to something, but that's not happening.

Simplify the forum. I think for the amount of activity you have, you guys have way too many forums, all of which have non-sensical names. They're all Green Day references, but have absolutely nothing to do with whatever the forum is about. Every time I go I have to read the forum description to remember where I'm supposed to go for certain types of threads. Remove some forums, make it more simple to navigate, and as suggested, a redesign should be looked into. Even a simple design update to make the forum more readable.

Value

I think you guys need to give more value to the Idiot Club. Make it worth the $20 people spend there. I think if we charged $20 a year to access GDC we could have a lot of users because people appreciate what this forum is. They make it their online home, invest time in the community and build friendships. You can't put a price on that, and many people would find that worth the cost alone. However, you guys have a lot to offer, just don't do it consistently.

Give value in exclusive interactions, not news. A lot of fans are turned off by the Idiot Club when you guys get news first, and as a result we have to hold posting anything here or on GDA. People post stuff, then we delete it. It's annoying. But I do think that's only fair to the people who pay. They pay to get something extra, and that's the extra, so we have to enforce it. You guys can offer two HUGE things that would make that $20 so worthwhile while not annoying other Green Day fans because they can't see news: (though of course, some fans will always be annoyed): exclusive presales, and Green Day.

You guys already do a decent job with presales, with only a couple gripes. During the outdoor tour a couple years ago, a lot of people complained that the presale tickets were lawn seats, or cheap tickets. Idiot Club members should get first shot at floor tickets. These are the fans who most want to be on the floor, very close to Green Day, they should get the best seats possible.

Do interviews with Green Day and those who work with them (Chris Dugan, Jason Freese, Bill Schneider, Chris Billheimer, etc.) . It's their fan club, I don't expect them to post on the forums and interact everywhere, I totally understand how they could be turned off by that stuff and don't blame them at all. But that doesn't mean they couldn't start doing video Q&A's again, every few months or whatever. Give fans a chance to ask a question, give other fans who pay the chance to see the video. That's something that can be exclusive. Ideally, that's something that would be exclusive for a month, then post the video on YouTube or GD.com. Not only will that give other Green Day fans a closer relationship with Green Day, but it encourages them to join the idiot club to participate the next time around. Everyone wins!

Short summary: Make it worth $20 by giving better exclusives that isn't news, make it easier to use, build up the community.

Or, hire me.

Andres should be an Idiot Club mod so that way it could be like GDC

I posted something in one of the forums month ago and I just now got a reply, I honestly don't understand why it's so dead especially since they got a whole bunch of new members because of the trilogy.

• 3 months later...

Bringing this thread back to say I've just looked at the IC sign up page and they've added a warning that contests are currently only available to US members :dance:. I'm so pleased with this :D. Well done IC!

I'm pretty sure IC will always do the pre-sale membership thing from now on just to get more members on board...otherwise they suck big time lol

Wow! the new design is awesome! It's nice to see something beautiful when you pay 20 bucks a year, the old design was awful.

For some reason I try to sign in to the forum page but it keeps going back to the Idiot nation home page.

new video from Mike on the main page as well! :D

Is the forum broken? I'm surprised they didn't take out that annoying log in again thing. However, when I tried to log in, it just takes me back to the main page.

Idiot Nation - Community

''The Band (coming soon…)

Members''

This is exciting me. :woot:

IC is making a GDC clone? :mellow:

So it's no longer called Idiot club?! I liked it, it's been like this since 1994 :S

I've been tempted to join for tour pre-sales but as previously stated by others, as I'm non-US, nothing else would really be of value to me. If they are coming back to the UK in 2014, I'll probably sign up just once to get tour pre-sales but that's it. :tired:

IC is making a GDC clone? :mellow:

Do you mean because of the forum/community thing or because of the band (maybe) joining their forum? :lol:

but.. umm. if you mean copying GDC by getting Green Day to join in…. I am really confused about them eventually being on GDC

:ninja: and absolutely curious. :ninja:

Archived