I Wanna Be On TV

pasalaska

This week’s Song of the Week is the Fang cover I Wanna Be On TV, originally released as a b-side to 1995’s Geek Stink Breath, but better known as track 7 off 2002’s b-side compilation album Shenanigans.

The song’s lyrics describe someone that wants to live the gluttonous, outrageous celebrity lifestyle; a person who lusts for attention and notoriety. Though it was originally released in 1983, its lyrics are still highly relevant today, bringing to mind reality TV ‘stars’ that will do almost anything for fame and fortune. Musically, Green Day’s cover sounds much like the original Fang version of the song; a fast, guitar-driven simple punk song that’s over in just more than a minute. Even though it is a cover, its sound and subject go well with Insomniac’s music, so it’s no surprise it was released as an Insomniac b-side.

Unfortunately, as with much of Shenanigans' content, there's no live recording of this song. Here's the studio version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwuLJFrHd5Y

And if you're interested, here's the original Fang version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzcqPXSLGw8

Lyrics:

Wanna be a pretty boy

Wanna go on Solid Gold

Wanna date a millionaire

Wanna make people stare

I wanna be on T.V.

Want people to know me

I want to be on T.V.

Started out in 64

Gonna be an omnivore

I wanna make the people dance

Gonna take off my pants

I wanna be on T.V.

Want people to know me

I want to be on T.V.

On a magazine

Gonna have some free cocaine

Wanna wear my Calvin Kleins

Then the world will be all mine

I wanna be on T.V.

Want people to know me

I want to be on T.V.

*********************************************************************************************************

Want a certain song to be Song of the Week? You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

Awesome song, with a disgusting puking at the end, by the way :D

"Wanna be a pretty boy..." hehehe :lol:

I like that they made the cover but not the song itself.

Love the lines>> I wanna make the people dance

Gonna take off my pants

Really like this song! Always puts a smile on my face! The whole album does! Shenanigans is one of my favourites :happy:

Fang is an awesome group Nirvana covered Fang's The Money Will Roll Right In from the same album

I don't remember too much about this song, but then again Shenanigans is the album that I am the least familiar with.

Fucking LOVE this song. It's such a great song to yell/sing along to.

I think one line of the lyrics posted is wrong. It sounds like "Studio 54", not "Started out in 64" Just saying :) Good song.

I love this song. It's like 'bam' and then it's over! :lol: I can imagine the lyrics of this song applying to a lot of the reality show contestants!

Unfortunately, as with much of Shenanigans' content, there's no live recording of this song.

They actually attempted performing it in San Francisco on November 5, 2000 but gave up pretty quickly. There used to be a recording of that show here until megaupload got seized, but it wasn't that good anyway because FM radio people were talking over that portion of the recording.

I like that they kind of paid tribute to their early influences and the scene they came from by covering this song. It's a good cover, nice and punky and snotty. Quite interesting too since Green Day actually are on TV but of course weren't driven to be there by such shallow motivations, which Billie makes clear by the way he sneers the lyrics.

Also it always makes me laugh when Billie sings "Gonna take off my pants" :lol:. He's done exactly that so many times it creates quite the mental image.

Archived