Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

So, I wrote a book.

News GDC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

AtomicHammock

AtomicHammock
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2012
  • 8 rep
Hi,
I need some feedback. I think American Idiot is not only great music, but also a brilliant comment on the times. No one does niihilism and suburban numbness better than these guys. As I've played the album time and again, I started to think something was missing. Namely, a ray of hope. A little rebellion against the tide of cultural anesthesia?
I started to envision a story of a suburban kid who has been similarly lulled, neglected, and medicated into a state of robotic indifference, but who has not given up on his dreams of adventure. I wanted to see what would happen when a ray of hope came his way. A story took shape in my mind. I started writing out the character ideas, then piecing together plot elements. I wrote one chapter, then another, rewriting heavily as I went. Pretty soon, I had a whole novel written. After rereading the entire manuscript, I decided to call it THE SON OF RAGE AND LOVE.
Now, thanks to the small miracles of Kindle and Nook, I was able to publish online for all to see. I'm not asking any of you to buy it! I just would like a little feedback, and who better to provide it than the literate fans of fine music and social commentary. Tell me if the voice works for you. Tell me if you would buy it (for the whopping 99 cent download pricetag). On Amazon.com and bn.com, you can look at the first chapter or so, just search for THE SON OF RAGE AND LOVE. Thanks so much!

captainperoxide

captainperoxide
  • Unbowed. Unbent. Unbroken.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,837 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,532 rep
Iiiiii would be careful here, dude. Pretty sure using song lyrics and concepts from Green Day songs in a book, and trying to make money off said book could result in Warner's lawyer's coming after you.
  • AtomicHammock likes this

AtomicHammock

AtomicHammock
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2012
  • 8 rep
Point taken, friend. The titles of songs, books, and movies are not copyrightable. You could write a book tomorrow and call it Give Me Novacaine with no issues. As far as concepts, no one has a copyright on the subjects of teen angst and disillusionment. The Catcher in the Rye did it very well a few decades ago, and similar themes are being revisited with different characters, settings, etc. all the time. There is no such thing as music, fiction, or movies that are not inspired by previous works. American Idiot is not the first record to deal with teen disillusionment, but I would still call it original, and brilliant. My novel takes an original look at timeless themes, such as alienation, unfair institutional controls, and denial of the individual. Please have a look at the first chapter on amazon and see if you like the writing. If you then still think it to be unoriginal, please let me know. Cheers, and thank you for your comments.

captainperoxide

captainperoxide

• 15,837 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,532 rep
Oh, I didn't mean to imply it was unoriginal. I actually think this is a pretty cool idea, I just wasn't sure if you were on steady legal ground is all, but it appears you've done your homework better than I. I shall proceed forthwith to read the first chapter.

AtomicHammock

AtomicHammock
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2012
  • 8 rep
Many thanks, captain. "Forthwith"? Cool word! No one uses that anymore! Nice!

captainperoxide

captainperoxide

• 15,837 posts
  • Joined Feb 20, 2007
  • 6,532 rep
I like it. I think it could still use a little editing, mostly for minor grammatical stuff that isn't a huge deal, but I like it. You drew me into Daniel's psyche and made me empathize, even though I can't relate much to the specifics of his character.

AtomicHammock

AtomicHammock
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Joined May 24, 2012
  • 8 rep
Captain, huge thanks for your feedback. I admit I have intentionally taken some grammatical liberties, in an effort to make the voice more authentic (12 year old kid, first person). I'm glad the story was able to draw you in. Again, thanks for taking the time!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: News, GDC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users