Blood, Sex and Booze

pasalaska

I love this, one of my favorites off of Warning

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i love that song. and the live version is awesome. i really love it.

Love this song, definitely up there with my favs off Warning :wub:

Bloody wonderful song. Everytime I hear it I associate it with this computer game my brother and I were obsessed with about six years ago because we had this and Ha Ha You're Dead on repeat the entire time. Bit inappropriate really considering we were eleven and thirteen, I don't think we thought about the lyrics too much.

Ahhh this is my third favourite Green Day song :woot:. Funny, weird, kinky - all the best things about Green Day. Plus it sounds great too with that chugging guitar and crisp sound. By far my favourite song on Warning both lyrically and musically. And the fact that they would even think of that idea for an intro let alone actually go so far as to carry it out 100% authentically is just brilliant :lol:

As for the meaning I'm not totally convinced it's as simple as it seems. The obvious meaning is there for sure but I've also heard some quite convincing ideas that the song has a double meaning. That it's about sometimes having to do things or put up with things they don't like as a band in order to do the things they enjoy as a band, with putting up with being dominated in order to get sexual satisfaction as a metaphor for it. The reference to a musical instrument ("mandolin of discipline") backs that idea up. I'm not completely sold on that interpretation but I do think there's something more in there in addition to the kinky meaning. Maybe just a metaphor for having to do things you don't necessarily want to do in order to get what you want.

Seeing it live (and drunken and up close) was a dream come true. It's my sister's all time favourite song so we were beyond happy. "*burp* Uhhhhhh it feels so FUCKING good" - I enjoyed this slight change to the lyrics :D

[media=]

Anyone know the last time the band even played it live? I feel like there's little hope I'll ever hear it :(

The Foxboro Hot Tubs play it at every show so if you ever see them you'll get to see it. And Billie played it acoustic at the end of a couple of Green Day shows on the US tour in 2009. So the chances aren't huge but there is some hope!

I agree with you^ I was also thinking that the meaning of this song couldn't be that simple, I mean it is "blood, sex, and booze", they probably have there own meanings, however the meaning you put and pasalaska put combined makes sense to me (=

^^Hermione, I hadn't heard that interpretation before, but that's freaking brilliant, and it makes so much sense. I thought it was just a straight-up song about S&M, but that just puts it on a whole different level and makes me love it even more. I can see it being a metaphor, whether or not the band meant it to be that way, when you put it in the context of the entire Warning album because the album is about being a slave to a shallow, materialistic society, and trying, but ultimately failing, to break away from it. The pain from the metaphorical ass-fuck you get from the debt and spend mentality of acquiring an obscene amount of 'things' "feels so good," so you're willing to take the pain and blood and scars, and numb them with booze in order to get that fleeting thrill. Given the theme of the album, I always wondered why that song was even on there. Your interpretation and looking at a deeper meaning explains it.

Warning is the most underrated Green Day album they have and that really bothers me. The whole album is a complex story that reflects society in the time it was written, and it was in essence, a warning of what awaited us a few years later because we wouldn't change our ways, which ultimately led to the events that inspired American Idiot. On top of that, the songs themselves are on the same level of quality Green Day always delivers, though in a lot of ways different from what Green Day fans are used to. It definitely doesn't suck when all the elements are considered.

Since the new album trilogy is supposedly "all about sex" maybe they'll put Blood, Sex & Booze on one of the albums along with It's Fuck Time. Awesome.

^^Hermione, I hadn't heard that interpretation before, but that's freaking brilliant, and it makes so much sense. I thought it was just a straight-up song about S&M, but that just puts it on a whole different level and makes me love it even more. I can see it being a metaphor, whether or not the band meant it to be that way, when you put it in the context of the entire Warning album because the album is about being a slave to a shallow, materialistic society, and trying, but ultimately failing, to break away from it. The pain from the metaphorical ass-fuck you get from the debt and spend mentality of acquiring an obscene amount of 'things' "feels so good," so you're willing to take the pain and blood and scars, and numb them with booze in order to get that fleeting thrill. Given the theme of the album, I always wondered why that song was even on there. Your interpretation and looking at a deeper meaning explains it.

Warning is the most underrated Green Day album they have and that really bothers me. The whole album is a complex story that reflects society in the time it was written, and it was in essence, a warning of what awaited us a few years later because we wouldn't change our ways, which ultimately led to the events that inspired American Idiot. On top of that, the songs themselves are on the same level of quality Green Day always delivers, though in a lot of ways different from what Green Day fans are used to. It definitely doesn't suck when all the elements are considered.

Since the new album trilogy is supposedly "all about sex" maybe they'll put Blood, Sex & Booze on one of the albums along with It's Fuck Time. Awesome.

Wow when you put it in the context of the album like that it really does make sense! Looking at it that way the song and album makes more sense to me now. Brilliant interpretation.

WHEN WERE FBHT IN LONDON?!?! ugh

In November 2009, they played a Green Day show at Wembley Arena and then drove across town and played a Foxboro show in a club at 1am. I have all my fingers crossed that they'll decide to do it again one day!

^ Ha that is so fucking awesome. Was it all planned beforehand?

Another thing about this song. Once my brother said that the beginning of Blood Sex And Booze sounds like the beginning of the second part of A Day In The Life by the Beatles. It only sounds really vaguely like it but to this day I imagine it going "Woke up, got out of bed..." just before Billie starts singing every time.

^ Ha that is so fucking awesome. Was it all planned beforehand?

Yeah it was planned but it was pretty last minute, it was on a Sunday night and they only announced it on Saturday afternoon. Must've just felt like playing a Foxboro show so they squeezed it into the tour schedule where they could. So glad they happened to be here at the time!

That is so awesome. I love their spontaneous little venue shows and would rather be at one of those than a big stadium show. Call me greedy, but one just isn't enough. :D

Hopefully, I'll get to see FBHT at some point too, and a big stadium show. They're definitely on my list.

Great song I really enjoy and is definitely one of my favourites especially how it appeals to me

Ahhh this is my third favourite Green Day song :woot:. Funny, weird, kinky - all the best things about Green Day. Plus it sounds great too with that chugging guitar and crisp sound. By far my favourite song on Warning both lyrically and musically. And the fact that they would even think of that idea for an intro let alone actually go so far as to carry it out 100% authentically is just brilliant :lol:

As for the meaning I'm not totally convinced it's as simple as it seems. The obvious meaning is there for sure but I've also heard some quite convincing ideas that the song has a double meaning. That it's about sometimes having to do things or put up with things they don't like as a band in order to do the things they enjoy as a band, with putting up with being dominated in order to get sexual satisfaction as a metaphor for it. The reference to a musical instrument ("mandolin of discipline") backs that idea up. I'm not completely sold on that interpretation but I do think there's something more in there in addition to the kinky meaning. Maybe just a metaphor for having to do things you don't necessarily want to do in order to get what you want.

Seeing it live (and drunken and up close) was a dream come true. It's my sister's all time favourite song so we were beyond happy. "*burp* Uhhhhhh it feels so FUCKING good" - I enjoyed this slight change to the lyrics :D

[media=]

The Foxboro Hot Tubs play it at every show so if you ever see them you'll get to see it. And Billie played it acoustic at the end of a couple of Green Day shows on the US tour in 2009. So the chances aren't huge but there is some hope!

I still need the Foxboro Hot Tubs to make a return appearance in the bay area its been way too long since they played a show here especially since i missed out way back when ;)

Inasmuch as it seems that just about anything truly painful that happens with Green Day happens to poor ol' Mike, I wonder if there's something a bit autobiographical in there? Or maybe there's a word in the refrain for each of the three bandmates in there? "Blood" would have to be Mike since he's always getting hurt, "Booze" would undoubtedly be referring to Billie, and that leaves "Sex" for Tre which also seems perfectly appropriate. :eyebrows:

Ok now that that's off my chest, let me get serious again. :) I do like Hermione's interpretation. It's definitely supported by the lyrics and fits Green Day's pattern of hiding some deep, serious shit inside a driving, poppy melody or rhythm. I actually think the song either bookends or complements Pulling Teeth and Dominated Love Slave in that the subject matter of all three is similar. Pulling Teeth and DLS add an element of stylistic parody, however -- Pulling Teeth of country/western, and DLS of bluegrass -- that isn't present in BS&B. The bass line and rhythm guitar also have echoes in 21st CB's "¿Viva La Gloria? (Little Girl)", so perhaps the guys are trying to weave in a little bit of BDSM into Gloria's character in 21st CB? However you look at it, BS&B is full of pain, with the narrator attempting (futilely?) to convince us that he actually enjoys it. Maybe he does, but taken as a whole I think he leaves some room for us to doubt that.

Regardless of how you interpret it -- and clearly there are several valid ways of doing so -- the song's one of the more impressive ones on Warning. Brilliant lyrics, potent and powerful melody....and underrated, as is the album it comes from.

^^wow thats was incredible, it used to be my favorite song (and still is) but i have never actually thought of that way, everyone has a very good point of view :lol:

It's my favorite song off Warning. I never thought there's a deeper meaning behind it. :o Everyone's interpretations in this thread are brilliant. My mind is blown.

<-- my ava loves the song too. :creep::lol:

Funny, weird, kinky - all the best things about Green Day.

THIS.

It's my favorite song off Warning. I never thought there's a deeper meaning behind it. :o Everyone's interpretations in this thread are brilliant. My mind is blown.

Same here! I had a vague idea that it had some kind of deeper meaning but reading everyone's thoughts here has made it so much clearer and has me hearing so much more in the lyrics when I listen to them now (as well as still enjoying the kinky meaning of course :eyebrows:). Song of the week is awesome :D

Wow. Spot on interpretation. You put my exact thoughts into words... Something I'm not particularly good at :)

This song has always stood out to me from all of the songs on Warning. It has a very quirky, unique vibe that I just can't get enough of. The melody is ridiculously catchy and slightly addictive, and the drum beat has a quality that makes it impossible for me to stop tapping my foot to. I find it hard to compare this song to any other Green Day tune- it's just so special. I hope I will have the experience of seeing it live someday.

Yeah, I never considered it was anything other than the stated meaning :lol: but that makes sense.

I just want to hear it live. :(

Oooh, I freaking love this song. The lyrics are just so clever.

Greatr choice, I love this song!

One of my favorites off Warning!

THIS IS THE BEST SONG ON WARNING! (MY OPININION) FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER : @LilyGreenDayFan i am part of the #GreenDayFamily

billie_joe.jpg awesome!!!!

I love this song, I've been playing it in my room all day. I do feel a tad bad for the guy getting whipped at the beginning though, even though the story behind that is pretty cool ;D

Archived