pasalaska

In honour of 21st Century Breakdown’s 3rd birthday earlier in the week, this week’s Song of the Week is its 16th track and biggest hit 21 Guns, the second single released from the album. The 21 Guns single charted very well on various charts globally, but failed to reach the number 1 spot; its highest position was 3rd on a several charts.

In a very broad and simplistic interpretation, 21 Guns’ lyrics are about ‘giving up the fight’ and surrendering to an unwinnable or worthless conflict. When taken on its own out of the 21CB story-arc, the song’s lyrics can be interpreted as anti-war, however when applied to the story of Christain and Gloria, its meaning is far less global, instead they’re referring to their relationship and all its conflicts. Up until this point on the album, Christian has been the angry, self-destructive, disenfranchised, left-behind rebel that’s trying to fight against ‘the system’ of post-Bush America, while Gloria has been his rock and stabilising force; a guiding light of rebellious femininity at the end of his own dark tunnel. This song is the tipping point for the pair’s already rocky relationship; Gloria is questioning Christian on his beliefs, values and feelings (the first verse), and ultimately trying to get him to stop walking down the path of martyrdom – she’s trying lay down to rest the soldier within him with a 21-gun salute.

Musically, this song is the ‘radio-friendly’ song of the album: the slow-rock song with the catchy chorus and powerful guitar-driven bridge. Its sound (and by extension its production) is what actually turns off some fans, who say it’s too clean and polished.

A quick mention also has to be made of the version of 21 Guns featuring the cast of American Idiot: The Musical; Green Day and the original Broadway cast of American Idiot performed the song live at the 52nd Grammy Awards, with the band playing the song while the cast provided vocals. The song is one of a few 21CB songs featured in American Idiot: The Musical, where it’s also used to cover the breakdown of the relationship of the two lead characters, Johnny and Whatsername.

This week’s video is from the 21st Century Breakdown tour’s 2010 stop at the Pinkpop festival held in the Netherlands. 21 Guns was a set staple on the 21CB tour and this video captures the feel of the live performance as well as the massive crowd reaction to the song.

[media=]

And here's the official music video directed by Marc Webb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r00ikilDxW4&ob=av2n

Lyrics:

Do you know what's worth fighting for,

When it's not worth dying for?

Does it take your breath away,

And you feel yourself suffocating?

Does the pain weigh out the pride?

And you look for a place to hide?

Did someone break your heart inside?

You're in ruins

One, 21 guns

Lay down your arms

Give up the fight

One, 21 guns

Throw up your arms into the sky,

You and I

When you're at the end of the road

And you lost all sense of control

And your thoughts have taken their toll

When your mind breaks the spirit of your soul

Your faith walks on broken glass

And the hangover doesn't pass

Nothing's ever built to last

You're in ruins.

One, 21 guns

Lay down your arms

Give up the fight

One, 21 guns

You and I

Did you try to live on your own,

When you burned down the house and home?

Did you stand too close to the fire?

Like a liar looking for forgiveness from a stone

When it's time to live and let die

And you can't get another try

Something inside this heart has died

You're in ruins.

One, 21 guns

Lay down your arms

Give up the fight

One, 21 guns

You and I

*********************************************************************************************************

You can nominate songs for discussion as Song of the Week in the SotW Nominations and Archive thread, which contains links to each previous Song of the Week in its first post.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Live version is a million times better than studio. The piano driven post-solo section they do in this version is one of the most emotion inducing moments of any song I have ever experienced.

I just love this song, it touches me !

This is also special cos it was my first song on bass :D

so yeah this is a great song with very awesome lyrics and the Live version is just wow !

I like the American Idiot Cast version more

:P

i love this song, although it's used to be misinterpreted by the people I know.

This is an amazing song, no matter what some Green Day fans say or what the mass sometimes misinterprets and loves about it. When it comes to its music and its lyrics, 21 Guns is brilliant. Even though I like the studio version, I think its live version is even better. It creates such a special moment, I can't even say or describe why. :happy: When I heard it in Munich, I started to cry toward its end, it just caught me and I once more realized that I got to see something awesome and unique this day.

Seems like I have to be the party pooper by saying that I dislike this song.

This was one of my first Green Day songs, and one of my original favorites off of 21st Century Breakdown. I still love it, even though I have some I like more now. A couple versions of it that I like the most are the ones off of AaF and the Broadway cast recording. They're both so good.

I agree that hearing this song live is so much better than the studio version. It's so powerful. Also I adore the musical version of it.

I really love this song, but it's not my favourite from the album nor is it my favourite when it comes to GD radio songs, but it's still a really enjoyable song nonetheless. It has really great lyrics and Billie's voice is extremely awesome in it.

the song is okay. i´m not a big fan of it. there are better ones.

my favorite line of the song is "nothing´s ever bulit to last"

This song was the song that got me into green day and it was the first song I herd from them. It`s a great song.

I'm so surprised this was never a SOTW before. So great choice at this time.

I really like this song and but really love the AI Musical vocals even more. I'm such a sucker for multiple levels of vocals. :)

Although it is overplayed, it is still one of my favorites. It's the first song I ever heard by Green Day, so it's kind of special to me. When 21 Guns was released as a single, my friend came to my house and started telling me about how it was his new favorite song and Green Day was his new favorite band. At first, I wanted nothing to do with his new obsession, but after he left, I searched up the song. The rest is history.

A very important Song Of The Week! Best song on 21CB but probably not my favourite.

I think 21 Guns has one of the best bridges (lyrics wise) that Billie has ever written.

But the melody of the entire song is really good too.

I remember hearing this song for the first time, and I was kind of blown away.

I won't say it's one of their best songs, but live it surely is!

I love 21 Guns :wub: Though I relate it to something sad and not to a feeling of peace or something. Some lines are very touching.

A really GREAT song :happy:

sin that has gone on too many mouths, which not always have understood its true meaning :ermm:

One of the 21CB songs I like. This song is very touching, specially when I'm with my cup or lime in my hand and some paranoia in my head because I have anxiety again. I often listen to it, I always want to listen to 21 Guns, Wake Me Up When September Ends, Macy's Day Parade, etc. when I'm sad. This song definitely deserves to be SotW, I can't believe it hadn't been before.

Great song. Not one of my faves from 21CB but still an awesome track.

21 Guns, one of my favourite Green Day songs while I was still getting into them. I played this song for a music assignment on flute and piano. I got an A (thanks Green Day). The love version if the song is amazing, especially when they do the piano bit before the last verse. Just amazing :wub:

Although it is overplayed, it is still one of my favorites. It's the first song I ever heard by Green Day, so it's kind of special to me. When 21 Guns was released as a single, my friend came to my house and started telling me about how it was his new favorite song and Green Day was his new favorite band. At first, I wanted nothing to do with his new obsession, but after he left, I searched up the song. The rest is history.

Best decision ever :)

I have nothing but love for this song. Eventhough, it's so overplayed, I can never get enough. It's such a powerful ballad and the bridge just takes my breath away. I really hope to have an oppurtunity to see this live one day. :)

Archived